New York, NY
Columbia University in the City of New York

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia University in the City of New York

Eugene

The workload can be overwhelming at times. The professors move through material very fast so you need to dedicate yourself to studying. There tends to be a lot of foreign professors which is great, but sometimes it is very difficult to understand what they are saying.

I would tell myself to stay in school. I dropped out of high school as a senior. I spent many years, after that, getting into trouble and learning many hard lessons about life. I am now completely dedicated to taking my education as far as it can go and I am enjoying the process. Telling myself as a high school senior that life is an educational process would be invaluable. I'd let myself know that dropping out of school is not an escape from mental challenges. I would impart words of encouragement to myself that would've allowed me to push through my struggles, at the time. College is a foundation for a challenging and rewarding life. If i could tell myself this before I made the biggest mistake of my life, I could've accepted one of many college scholarship offers instead of struggling, now, to pay for school while supporting a family. Last, but not least, I'd tell myself not to regret any mistake in life, if you choose to make amends.

I wish I knew that I was going to be this broke right now. The stress caused by financial problems can take its toll. I love going to this school but the amount of money it costs to attend this university makes me think twice sometimes; considering the fact that I must bear my financial burden alone.

Alicia

Think about what you are interested in. What do you like to learn about? What do you like to do? What do you get excited to learn about? College is, in part, a time to build up your knowledge in a field that interests you, and sometimes thinking about it this way rather than as a specific step en route to a specific career can be better. Many of my friends began the way I did: "After college, I want to be a ____." But many of us have found that we might not be interested in the classes required for a specific job, or don't like the practical reality of a specific job. "Wannabe" doctors who hate biology pr journailsts who don't like to talk to strangers have to find a subject - not a title - that really interests them. So, pursue your interests and explore new ones - take every opportunity to try something new or chase after a passing fancy. And if you find yourself missing something you used to love, whether it's badminton, volunteering or playing the violin, get back into it! New academic, career, and personal interests might develop!

The students come from all over the country and world, and there is a great diversity of ideas, interests, talents, and perspectives. Being in New York is also eye-opening in that we are exposed to different cultures, neighborhoods, arts, social issues, etc.

The many core requirements sometimes make it hard to study abroad, change majors, or take exploratory electives.

Alejandro

Treat the college-selection process like a game of ?Hot or Cold?. As you consider each of your choices, garner a sense of ?how warm it feels?. The warmer a choice feels, the more it is in alignment with what you want and expect from college. This, of course, encompasses everything from the perks of moving away or staying near and surrounding environment to the financial burden and school strength in your intended degree program. It is a decision that your personality should dictate: you?ve always been one to climb to the highest ledge and then take a leap of faith. Direct yourself toward a population that you either already enjoy or aspire to be more alike. Socially speaking, personas are fine to have, but just be sure they are all naturally occurring and true to you. When in doubt, be yourself and treat every new face like a potential friend. Be aware that your resources extend beyond your immediate family and friends, and utilize those resources like an RA, a professor?s office hours, or career center services to your greatest advantage. Remind yourself that everyone wants you to succeed, but nobody expects you to do it alone.

Columbia?s location is both a blessing and a curse. I often find myself weighing the values of studying an extra two hours of chemistry or looking to take advantage of the city by indulging an ice skating session in Central Park. Debacles like this one, however, are easily circumvented by sticking to the same smart, responsible study habits that got me there in the first place. The buzz of the city is a real treat that I eulogize as a beach-town California kid, but it?s also one to warily balance and avoid from being too side-tracked.

I was pleasantly surprised to encounter the sense of community that naturally arises in Columbia students. Prior knowledge of this tendency would have put to rest many of my social apprehensions, as I have seen myself and most other freshmen easily drawn into their own niches. There is no need to be fearful of allegedly pretentious, solely and freakishly academic units that might be thought to compose the student body. I have found myself in the midst of the most diverse, lively, and remarkable group of kids.

Aaron

Columbia University offers an excellent education with amazing opportunities to look forward to upon graduation, as long as you can afford the massive tuition and living costs.

Columbia University offers students a steller quality of education along with career and networking opportunities that will last long after graduation. I feel the competitiveness drives students to try harder and exceed even our own level of expectations of our abilities. The Career Center is very helpful with providing information about the vast number of exciting internships and job assistance opportunities available to students. There are, also, an incredible amount of activities to get involved with throughout the semester, assuming you are able to tear yourself away from your studies long enough to participate.

If I could go back, I would tell myself to always try to be ten steps ahead of the next challenge. Preparation and hard-work are the keys to success and procrastination never helps a situation. Although, you should never apologize for taking some time out if you really need it. I would tell myself not to be afraid to take on things that seem impossible because failure only stems from lack of effort. I would say that your life will be far from ordinary or predictable, but then again it never has been. Besides, predictability is boring and prevents you from truly pushing yourself. I would tell myself that it's okay to cry when tragedy strikes as long as you don't let others see it. And although it's harder to see the pages, you can still work with tears in your eyes. I would tell myself to be more optimistic because everything tends to go smoother. Finally, I would tell myself to stop trying to be all things to all people, and simply search my soul for what I want out of life. Then work tirelessly to make it happen.

Julia

College, it seems, is all about testing your limits, be they academic, social or even financial. I think the most important thing I've learned in the last couple of months is that it's okay to do something that doesn't turn out in the perfect way you might have hoped. You don't have to know everything - you DON'T know everything, and that's really okay. Chances are, everyone around you is in the same boat. So go ahead, take that class that sounds kind of interesting even if you have no idea what anthropologic engineering means - you might end up finding your major. Introduce yourself to the nice looking girl sitting at the end of the table in the dining hall - she could be your next best friend. Join that club - it may lead you to your passion. Take some risks, put yourself out there - it is in the connections we forge and the passions we discover that the transition to college doesn't even feel like a threatening life change, but rather the beginning of a fantastic new chapter in our lives.

There are very few things I dislike about Columbia. However, I sometimes feel a little lost in the big sea that is the university. Having come from a small class of 108 in high school, I never really thought about what it would be like to go to school with people I didn't know. During my first semester, I had a lot of trouble with the anonymity of such a large community. I think Columbia could do a better job with making the community feel tighter.

There are so many things that drew me to Columbia: the value of the Core Curriculum (how everyone is reading the same book at the same time), the gorgeous campus, the perfect location right in Manhattan. But my favorite part by far, what gives me (in my mind) the most bragging rights, is the fact that almost everyone I meet is an intelligent, well-rounded person. I am so interested by the people all around me, the conversations we have, the friendships we've formed.

Katherine

Columbi University is a utopia in the middle of the world's greatest city, inhabited by talented, interesting and driven students who have come to New York from all over the world in order to be a lion.

Being a varsity student-athlete, I am naturally filled with school spirit. If I am running at home meets, away meets or attending games outside of my sport, I love being loud and supporting all of my school's athletes. Those outside of the university sport's world, however, are somewhat lacking in school spirit. Sometimes it is hard to compete when you know you school doesn't truly care or even know how well your team is doing. It is also difficult to get excited about school sports when those around you prefer to sit and stay silent.

"Welcome to college," I would say. "Here begins the most challenging and best four years of your life." Throw aside claims about your ability to never be homesick, to always use your newfound freedom responsibly and to get a perfect GPA, you are now entering into the real world, and realistic expectations are a part of the game. Columbia is a challenging school and environment, and when it seems like the next four years are too harsh to handle remember why you decided to attend college in the first place. When the experience is over, and you glance back on the snippets of memories you have acquired what did you do? Work, so that when this day comes you can say proudly, I tried my hardest academically and athletically, I made friends that will stay with me for the rest of my life and I never once doubted my ability to achieve all the goals my naive high school self threw out into the future for the taking. Four years may seem like forever, but your predecessors are not lying when they say it passes by in all but a moment. Enjoy every second, the good and the bad.

Nicholas

Dont be afraid, it's only the beginning of everything for you. Just hold onto the fact that you are strong, and only you know exactly who you want to be and what kind of life you want to lead. Although your career choice or even major may not be set in stone, theres no reason to panic because ultimately, this panic may lead you to choose something you dread doing. Listen to yourself, and if you need, take some time off and so some soul searching. Even though this time off may seem like wasted time, its not. Taking this time off will be able to get your bearings straight and take you away from the fervor of college life which can sometimes be blinding. Dont be pressured into doing something just to finish, take your time, and really take this transition as a blessing. It's a time not only to get somewhere in life, but 90% of what should come out of this transition is knowing your core being.

Anyone closed minded and not willing to accept other people's views and values should not attend Columbia University, for Columbia is a place of acceptance and equality no matter what race, creed, sex, or orientation a person may be. Equally respecting all human beings is one of Columbia's most cherished quality by all of it's students.

The most frustrating thing about school would probably be having to juggle school and social life. The school is very rigorous and serious commitment is required to accel at Columbia. However, the harder you study, the more rewarding the time in which you do get to play becomes. So while being frustrating, it is also an extremely rewarding experience for a job well done.

tracy

Anyone and everyone should attend college, especially one like Columbia. I am not a rich person, nor do I come from a high profile, wealthy family. I just put my heart into my application and was accepted. I know it will be a great asset when going out into the work force after I graduate.

Looking back at my highschool self, I wish I would have known that all plans change. There is nothing set in stone, no matter how much you plan. I also wish I would have known to belive in myself more and be more confadent in my choices.

First I would tell myself, ?Congratulations!? Graduating high school is a great achievement, and one of the first milestones in our lives, so enjoy the moment. I would take that time to talk about trying not to spend the first year of college in the dorm. I feel I missed out on a big part of the college experience being able to connect and form lasting friendships in those first few years. I would also council myself in being more confident. I would encourage myself to start to see myself for the person I am, not some made up image. Along those lines I would caution myself about money. To make sure I don?t treat it like something that will always be there and that my family will be able to just take care of it. After having this time with myself, I would just pray that I listened and took what I had to say about our life to heart, and remembered it as life got hard, or seemed unbearable, to remember, I make it through, and I learn from all of it, making me stronger, wiser, and a better me in the end.

Nina

Columbia is so unique because it's located in one of the greatest cities in the entire world. Because Columbia is located in New York City, a whole neew world of opportunities is available to students, in the form of internships and jobs, cultural exploration, and learning resources. Columbia has great academics on its own, but combined with everything New York City has to offer, the learning that can take place is incredible. Aside from this, simply living in New York City is an amazing experience, and what better time to do it than during your college years?

Be prepared for anything. College comes with many unexpected surprises, and the only way to deal with them properly is to simply expect the unexpected. It sounds cliche, but it really is true. Be prepared for late nights of studying, lots of hard work, and the chance that your grades won't be as great as they were in high school. However, I think the most important piece of advice for college is to just make the most of it. Academics should obviously come first, but it is so important to be able to recognize that there is so much more to the college experience. Make great friends, explore your campus, and make great memories that will last, because in the end, this is what will matter. In the process of making these memories, you learn so much about yourself, which is one of the greatest lessons that you can learn. Your grades will only give you so much satisfaction; the friends and memories you make will last so much longer. There is nothing worse than looking back on your college experience, and wishing you had taken advantage of your surroundings, because these are years you can't get back.

If you are not a dedicated student and you do not have a passion for learning, Columbia definitely is not the right school for you. At Columbia, you are completely surrounded by faculty and students that are truly passionate about what they're studying. Even if it's not a class relating to their major, everyone is still passionate about learning in general. Columbia is a hard school, and the only way to survive and do well is to be a hard worker. You shouldn't attend Columbia is you aren't going to be dedicated to your studies.

Matthew

The opportunity to study among world-class intellectuals, and share ideas and concepts as peers with these scholars.

The universal academic committment by both students and faculty. There is an underlying culture of academic priority above all else, which translates into a thoroughly enriching and motivating learning environment. This ideology prepares students for the productive and dedicated application of their acquired skills necessary to succeed in the post-graduate employment arena .

Keep your eye on your goals, don't be afraid to experiment, but never too much that it detracts from your main course of study. Give 100% to yourself and 110% to your peers when collaborating on assignments.

Columbia University in the City of New York administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.