Columbia University in the City of New York Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Columbia University in the City of New York

Yejide

Honestly, I would not recommend this school to anyone who is facing a dire financial crisis because this university is one of the brokest among the Ivies. The financial aid is laughable and the university still wants to increase tuition when the students can’t afford it. The minorities on campus are ignored and neglected, especially the Black community on campus. This school is somewhat segregated between rich and poor. They only care about you as an individual if you have wealth. Otherwise, you’ll be disregarded like the rest of us.

Michelle

Great university with great professors. I really enjoy GS as it's got the feel of a small college with the resources of a large university. There are many sources of support and opportunity built in for the non-traditional student. Everyone has got that "Columbia Face" - put together on the outside and freaking out on the inside - so you're not alone!

Emma

Columbia University has both wonderful strengths and serious weaknesses. Academic life at CU is enriching and promising. The professors are all leaders in their fields and have extensive passion for and knowledge of the subjects they teach. Classes at Columbia are intensely rigorous and wildly challenging, but they expand your worldview and help you grow into a better student and learner. The Core (required) classes in particular do an amazing job at facilitating discussion and growth in a range of important subjects. These classes are small, so they allow you to really engage with the class and get to know your professors. Additionally, the Core classes make the best of Columbia's culturally rich urban location. Class visits to museums, shows, and local landmarks are common. New York City also helps enrich personal and social life at Columbia. The dining, shopping, and entertainment opportunities around the city are endless. The easy-to-navigate metro system also makes traveling and exploring the city stress-free. However, you don't need to leave campus to have fun. There are organizations (such as residential life) that work to ensure that students are relieved of stress and having a good time. There are also lots of clubs and activities on campus that students can join to get involved and have fun. The one drawback to clubs at Columbia is that many of them require applications, so joining some of them isn't as easy as many would prefer. However, there is no doubt that students will be able to find great clubs that they can enjoy. My biggest complaint thus far about Columbia is the dangerously prevalent stress culture among students here. In addition to the stress of difficult classes, heavy workloads, and lots of demanding extracurriculars, Columbia students seem to foster and encourage stress culture. Students feed on the stress of others and often compete over who is more stressed. Some students brag about coming home from the library at 6:30am. Very few of these students, however, are actually happy with the amount of stress they endure. Many members of the administration do not seem to acknowledge the unhealthy amount of stress that occurs at Columbia. However, RAs and other groups work extremely hard to provide outlets and resources for all students so that they can minimize their stress or go to seek help if it gets out of hand.

My overall opinion of Columbia University is that it's a great education, with top tier academics, an expansive network of alumni, great educational and extracurricular resources, and unique job/fellowship/internship opportunities that are often only available to Columbia students. It's expensive in NYC, but worth it for the opportunities.

Katherine

It is a great institution. So far there is a lot of focus on academics, but you will see plenty of events happening (Drinking events, political events, networking events, artsy events). Most good events start on thursdays. The buildings are old but hold great history of NY and the campus is beautiful.

Nahla

The campus has a peaceful energy

Rakesh

e4

Nicholas

Columbia University is a great mix of excellent STEM programs and reputable arts programs. Being a student and an athlete though, I have found that the academic clique and the athletic clique don't necessarily mix. The academic standard is set high enough to constantly motivate people, but not so high as to discourage students from attempting. And the location of the school can't be beat, there is nothing like living in New York City. There are practically endless opportunities for work studies, internships, etc.

Mabel

Obviously a great school academically. Socially, less so. Students are competitive, but you will find friends.

Ye

NYC is my favorite city, Columbia has left me great memories. Though being a grad student here, I could still sense the passion, art, and connection on campus.

Sofia

The amount of opportunities to learn and interact with not only the students but the city of New York are innumerable. Not only is it highly rated for its academics but its location is ideal for anyone who wants to become more cultured or live the city life.

Ann

After attending Tufts University and enjoying a challenging yet engaging and nurturing environment and relatively warm, friendly and diverse community. Columbia was a tremendous disappointment. Students are extremely competitive and cold, which is other exacerbated by grade deflations and lack of curves. Columbia very much rests on its laurels and falls short when it comes to quality academics, advising and opportunities considering the reputation, difficulty, and very high price tag. My experience at Columbia has been mediocre, at best.

Anthony

My overall opinion of Columbia University in the City of New York is the University is good. There's the allure of New York City which is just a hop, skip, and a jump away. There is always something to do here at Columbia. The resources are out there you just have to find them. Also, the academics are top-notch, I would say Columbia is just as competitive as any other University in the world. The down-side is the price of admission I don't believe that the price of admission is worth the name the University is.

Jordan

I think the school is great, I like the student life and the city environment. I hope to one day go to that school. the life is good the community is amazing their is always an opportunity to involved in it. the metropolitan area makes it easier for students to move around the city and explore. life is more than just the school, college life is about the adventurous activities as well.

Francis

It is a great school and offers a lot of opportunities for self-growth and development but it is a bit unorganized. At times professors do not seem to have a set agenda for class and the Sybil's is constantly changing. The reading material is insightful and it will help you learn about your practice, but is at times overwhelming. The majority of the classes are discussions based so you will always be prepared to contribute to the class if you read for that week. Many discussions also steer away from the readings and encourage students to incorporate their own personal experiences to relate to the readings. You will find yourself spending most of your weekends doing school work and preparing for your internship instead of fully relaxing and destressing from school. The professors, though unorganized at times, are always willing to make time and meet with you after class. There are scheduled office hours but if you need to meet outside of those hours, the professors change their schedules to fit you in. You will meet a lot of great people who are willing to help you with school work and talk to you about things. The facilities such as the libraries provide a great place for studying and finding quiet spots to focus. Overall it is a great environment to learn but it is somewhat unorganized.

Melody

As a rising junior at Columbia College, I have so far been very satisfied with my experience at the university. It has a great location -- nestled in New York City but not so far downtown that you can't get any peace and quiet for studying. There is a stress culture and I do wish we had more space, but I generally love the community on campus and personally think it's a great fit for me.

Olivia

I could not be more excited to be attending Columbia!! I don't start until the fall, but in my visits I have fallen in love with this school. For me, the most distinctive quality is the balance between an intimate liberal arts education and the resources of a big city. Classes are very small, and we are able to work closely with professors and students across a variety of disciplines - however, we are immersed in a diverse, globalized, intellectual environment with every opportunity in the world. There is nothing you can't do at Columbia. Soooooo excited to be going here in the fall! #roar2022

Kelly

Columbia University is a great school. There are two undergraduate schools: Columbia College (the school I attended) and the Fu Foundation for Engineering and Applied Science. While the College was rigorous and text-heavy, I can say I came out a much brighter individual. From class conversations to complex texts, my Human Rights major allowed me to explore the intersections of many different fields at the same time. There were always social events to attend (though sometimes harder to find events for people of color) and the resources available to me where abundant. I recommend it to any students ready to challenge themselves and push their personal growth.

Joseph

I've had some really good professors, but I've also had some really bad professors, and whether I liked the classes or not depended mostly on them. Outside of class, however, I really enjoy life at Columbia. There are plenty of groups on campus to get involved in, and if they're not your thing you can start you own. If you don't want to do that either, well, you're still in New York City, so you can hop on the subway and pop up in times Square a half-hour later. Whatever you want to do, opportunity abounds if you're willing to seek it out.

Charles

Being a 3-2 student coming from another university it was hard to adjust at first since we are put far from campus. However the orientation week (NSOP) was fantastic in helping me find new friends and colleagues from the school. My only complaint is that we are sorted with the freshman class yet most of us have already finished a bachelor's degree and are 3 years older than the kids around us during orientation, which tends to make for awkward interactions.

Sebastian

It has a rather small campus but the amount of services and resources offered by the institution makes up for that.

Maliha

It's a great school.

Ursa

Columbia University in the City of New York is an excellent college if you are looking to grow as a person in every possible way. If you are satisfied believing what you already believe and thinking in the way you already think, then you will find yourself constantly uncomfortable.

Jaya

My first step onto Columbia University's campus, I felt terrified. Yet, through the immediate intimidation I felt more at home than ever before. Columbia University is an incredible school, with personable teachers who personally take an interest in every student. While the competitiveness on campus is high, and expectations are upheld by many students, Columbia has awakened a love of learning in me.

Andrey

Good colledge giving credit for online learning. I'm currently looking for a new job as a software engineer and improving my skills. I work as a bartender at the moment and spend most of my money for renting a room and bills, because my income is low. I have to support my family financially as well, as a result, I have financial debt. My work is located in New York City and I live in New Jersey, I take a New Jersey Transit train everyday to reach my work. The train is expensive and it takes a part of my salary. Unfortunately I can’t afford to pay for the course and I wanted to ask for a financial aid. My financial situation is motivating me to learn the new skills so I could improve my situation and increase my income. My mother used to help me with my education, but she recently lost her employment due to the downsizing of the company for which she worked. As a result of this, she will not be able to help me with payment for the course. She will be making every effort to find new employment. The financial aid would help me to attend the course.

Crystal

Honestly, best decision I made was to come here. The campus is beautiful and academics are certainly the number one priority. I am constantly challenged and supported not only by professors but by my peers and advisors. There is also always an event or lecture to attend which adds to the academic experience.

Madison

The Columbia University in the City of New York never ceases to impress me with it's diverse student population, incredibly academics, and helpful resources. It's a bit hands off, requiring students to be intrinsically motivated, but it encourages independence.

elise

Beautiful campus

Wesley

Columbia University is a great place to learn and live. The campus gives students a quiet environment, and the subway and bus lines are very accessible if you want to go to other parts of New York City. I really think the biggest plus about Columbia is the diversity of the students, you learn from everyone!

Melanie

It is a great school. The faculty puts great emphasis on familiarizing the students with the typical daily life of an Ivy League student. The curriculum is very demanding, however, the educational experience is one of a kind. I am a returning students, thus GS, and feel very welcomed and integrated. Columbia embraces diversity among their students and faculty. You'll find people from all over the world. It is an amazing experience to be able to get to know so many different cultures, religions, and languages. Everyone is very welcoming, so no one feels like "they don't belong". There is a spot for everyone and that is what I think makes Columbia so unique.

Alanna

Columbia is a wonderful institution which offers amazing opportunities for students such as myself to study abroad and gain a deeper learning of the world around them. This university offers several programs unlike those at other schools, including the one in which I am enrolled: the Dual BA Program between Trinity College Dublin and Columbia University. Through this program and the one with Sciences Po in France, students have the chance to spend two years studying in Europe and two in New York City, graduating with two degrees and a thorough understanding of another culture. These two programs set Columbia apart from other European institutions by allowing students more choices and making Columbia graduates learned citizens not just of their country, but of the world.

David

This is a school where you will be challenged in every way that you hope a college will challenge students. Living off campus and commuting to school in weather is sometimes difficult but always doable and you have a close knit group that shares your pain. Overall, this is a very good school.

rara

n

Susan

As a master's student in Columbia's History and Literature program, my experience is a little different from most. That said, even though I don't attend school at the New York City campus, I love being a Lion. My program, which is at Columbia's Global Center in Paris, France, is intimate and involved, with rigorous coursework and amazing opportunity. Every day, I get to wake up to a view of the Eiffel Tower, walk through the beautiful French streets to my tiny classroom in a little building in the sixth, and learn about the ways History and Literature work together to change our world. It may not be New York, but I have to say, I'm not really complaining.

Jesse

Columbia is an incredible college for those who can beat the less than six percent acceptance rate. That being said, don't bee discouraged by this number, and apply! It can be a very competitive environment at times, but it's all what you make of it, as with anything. Those who get in are glad to be here.

Suprima

The location of the school is great and perhaps the most important factor. There are plenty of things to do and they suit a variety of interest may that be academically or socially. Opportunities for social outing also ranges from a quiet time at the park to fun night outs in the city.

Jacob

Great school, consistently rated one of the top schools in the nation and for good reason. Only thing the school is lacking is social life and school spirit. Outside of Greek Life and a couple of clubs it's hard to branch out and make new friends. Also students can be overly competitive, but it makes sense for them to be because it's likely how they got into Columbia.

Yangzi

They are competitive but overall good. If you are a geek person, come to Columbia! Sometimes people have really stress out on campus but many professors are very helpful. My advice to you is not taking classes with TAs. They want to show how powerful they are.

Namie

a great and beautiful campus where everyone will feel welcomed. They also provide with great programs and teachers seems to be very nice and friendly towards students. It's also located in NYC so there are nearby shops and restaurants to go with families or friends.

Julia

I did not enjoy the tour. There was a long informational part of the college tour at the beginning of the tour and me and y school fell asleep through, their talk. Highly disappointed if I had to be honest. I came all the way fro New, Orleans, Lousiana, so across the nation, and I was disappointed .

Columbia is an incredible place overflowing with brilliant minds. It is quite competitive and challenging, but help is very accessible and the work load is usually manageable. My main complaint pertains to lectures– I have found that professors cover a small portion of the material students are expected to know by the end of each course, and the responsibility falls on us to teach ourselves the coursework. Aside from this, Columbia is truly a great university and I am lucky to be a part of such a prestigious insitituion.

Jay

Columbia University is truly a wonder. A quiet haven of pure academia nestled within the ever-growing and roaring city that is New York. With free access to the world's greatest museums, the city is the greatest classroom. I cannot wait to start my new adventure there.

Jonathan

Columbia University is an amalgamation of peoples, ideas, experiences, goals and directions. Everyone with whom you might interact with on campus, can always provide a little insight to an aspect of life that you probably hadn't thought of before. The academics are, without a doubt, incredibly competent and challenging. Despite the stress that grades and academic achievement might impose on us students, however, the communal struggle is one that ties us all together. Whether it be studying late at night in the library or going to recitations or office hours, the students here are very intertwined and form a very supportive and endearing community.

Farooq

Undoubtedly inferior to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, and MIT. General Studies is a complete joke of a program and its selectivity is nonexistent. The graduate programs are HUGE and have very little selectivity, if any at all. We have over 33,000 students, for crying out loud. No Ivy, even Cornell, comes close to that inanely large student population - 33,000 is much closer to the population of a public university. Essentially no focus on undergrads. No school spirit or sense of community, partially due to the location in New York. Facilities (housing, academic buildings) are awful, especially when considering that we have the highest tuition in the country. Transfer acceptance rate is through the roof compared to HYPSM; it’s almost as if they let anyone in. And don’t let the 5.1% acceptance rate fool you; half of the student body applied solely because Columbia is the only Ivy in NYC. If we were located in New Haven or Hanover, there is little doubt in my mind that the acceptance rate would be at least 9-10%. Not to mention, the campus is fewer than 40 acres large and is extremely unimpressive when compared to Princeton’s or Yale’s. Advising is terrible. Overrated joke of a school, much less an Ivy.