New York, NY
Columbia University in the City of New York

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Columbia University in the City of New York

Oraia

If I could go back, I'd tell my 16 year old self to stay in high school, rather than drop out during Junior year. Although I received my GED, a lack of a high school diploma proved to be a hardship for me, as I was regulated to low-paying, menial jobs. Although it was always my goal to attend college, it seemed out of reach. Initially, I was only accepted to community college, which further impacted my learning opportunities. I couldn't always afford to take classes, so I worked hard and saved money until I could re-enroll full-time. Once I returned to college, I received excellent grades, then scholarships and then transferred to my dream school: Columbia. As a low-income, non-traditional student, I'll finally graduate in 2016, which is exactly 20 years after I started community college. I'll also be the first in my family to receive a degree, something I'm very proud of. From high school drop-out to the Ivy League, I'm proof that the path to higher education may not always be an easy one. However, if you focus on your goals, you'll always succeed!

Administration - very bureaucratic

Henry

Read, read, read. And when you are done reading, write, write , write! It's not enough to attend college. You should be a competitive student due to the unpredictable world of work. Therefore, the more prepared you are before you get to college, the higher your chances will be to score high and land a job. The pre-work is just as key as the work you will execute in college.

The lack of diversity at the graduate level.

My school is known for their school of medicine, law, and education.

My school is known for their school of medicine, law, and education.

I think that the rigorous academic load and the exceptional professors are the assets of this school.

"Places!" The world is your audience, you are the director, and there is no script to follow. This is what I wish to share with the next "actor" who stumbles onto that college campus stage with a pre-written script they are most certian will land them that perfecct job, perfect life, and perfect self. Whether an actor or not, in order to get the most out of college and life, one must look at the world as a stage and prepare themselves to play any and every part. The key to giving a riveting performance is to savor what inspires you, listen to your every dream, and not fear the unexpected. Inexplicable beauty and promise lie between structure and improvisation . When one is able to accept that a definitive path may not always lead to where you expected, it's the tool of improvisation that fosters the resilience needed to persevere. Lastly, though you will be asked to play many roles, some which may feel uncomfortably far removed from your true self, remember that it's just a costume and your just an actor and underneath it all, YOU are still there. "Lights, camera, action!"

Lisa

It's known for its high academic standards and compassionate moral values.

It's known for its high academic standards and compassionate moral values.

It's expensive to live in New York City.

I would evaluate carefully what I would like to being doing either for a career or a purpose in life. Then I would focus my efforts on reaching that goal as quickly as possible without allowing minor or major setbacks interfering in my striving toward that goal.

Ben

My classmates were independent people and self-starters, eager to carve out their niches in the city.

The best piece of advice I could give myself would be to “finish strong.” Towards the end of high school, I had already been accepted to college, and, as many high school seniors in my same situation have done, I was not exerting full effort towards my studies. I didn't understand that attending school was a privilege; it is rare in life for learning to be one’s primary responsibility. So, it would behoove me to take advantage of my time in a learning environment. Now is an ideal time for me to return to the academic environment of business school, to be surrounded by like-minded and collaborative students who wish to share their unique experiences and perspectives. My work experience has provided me with important technical skills and a useful knowledge base spanning corporate finance, accounting, valuation and investment management, amongst other areas of focus. Returning to school will allow me to focus on specific areas to round out my skill set. I plan to take advantage of the opportunity ahead of me, and to fully dedicate myself to my studies while I am enrolled.

Columbia's location and campus are amazing. It has the best of both worlds; a standalone campus (several blocks of gorgeous real estate) and a prime location (uptown Manhattan). Combined with the top notch academics, it was a great place to go to undergrad.

Diego

The school in which cultures meet, people interact and work for the common good.

I would prepare myself to cultural exchange. I would make sure to know that I know how to adapt to people from different cultural backgrounds and mindsets. I would strenghten my experience through extra-curiccular activities. I would attempt to engage in as many creative initiatives as possible, in order to strenghten my creative thinking and problem-solving skills. I would travel. By whatever means available, I would discover new countries and cultures. Because this is what you do on a daily basis at Columbia University.

Non-creative students should not attempt to enter Columbia. You should not try to enter Columbia University if you are not able to adapt to a new environment. And, of course, you should have great working capacities.

Michelle

It's merit and research- quality of education and distinguished faculty

The predominant societal view prevails that college is the ultimate gateway to your career and future success. Consequently, the overarching goal to get in and out quick with the degree with the highest job prospects will loom heavy over you. My greatest advice is to live free from this burden, and take the college expereince in its entirety, as a process. In this way, college will not only be a means to an end, it will be the "end" in itself. With this mentality, you will see that the real point of college is to grow as a person while you achieve your aspirations. During these next four years the smartest thing you can do is to soak each experience in, pursue every opportunity, be confident in who you are and make each day count. As you push yourself to become the best possible version of yourself, the things that seem to matter will fade away, while the questions you seek answers to, will naturally reveal themselves. In the end, you will be exactly where you need to be. Take a deep breath, trust the process, and enjoy every step of the way.

Columbia University in the City of New York administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.