CUNY Queens College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for CUNY Queens College

Mercedes

I enjoy the school and love campus. The campus makes you feel like your out of the city while being smack dab in the middle of it and the bussy face paced life. I'm really glad that they have most classes in the same buildings of their respective departments. Professors in my field are great and reaxhable.

Mair

It's pretty average. Academics are pretty good. But it's a commuter school so there's not that much going on. It's hard to make friends unless your really outgoing and it can get isolating sometimes. But its also a great way to learn a lot and save money on undergrad, especially if you're planning on going to grad school.

Bob

Queens college sucks big time. Please US government does something to have black male student stop dropping out of college early. When you are a black man you are going to get abused by instructors and afterwards nobody will back you up, nobody would listen to you. You will be forced to drop out of the college earlier and make the statistics. Please diversifies the staff so that at least the black minority is more represented. It would be a great help. Someone is tired of racial prejudices.

Khadija

Queens College is a nice school. It is only my second semester here so I am still learning about it and getting acquainted. The campus is really nice. You can still get the feel of a "traditional" college experience. There are also dorms which are nice to. So if you want to stay in NYC but want to be away from your parents there you go. The academics are decent as well.

Hammaad

I Believe that Cuny Queens College may have set me on the right path. The professors and advisers are really caring and encouraged me to move forward. The students are actually great and show that they care about their academics as well. This helps everyone focus in class and work together in group sessions to better ourselves in our classes. Overall, I'm glad I made the decision to apply to Cuny Queens College. I have yet to bloom into something greater.

Hammaad

Emilee

Overall, my experience at CUNY Queens College has been great so far. Professors are generally helpful, class sizes are usually pretty small, there are plenty of clubs and activities on campus, free stuff to do all the time, great library hours, and useful facilities and amenities. The close proximity to NYC via public transit or by car can't be beat. Can't rate off-campus housing because I live on campus, but I can speak to the quality of the Summit; as long as you pull your own weight in keeping your living spaces clean, you won't have a problem. The apartment-style dorms are remarkably spacious and the price is competitive with that of off-campus housing. I can also attest to the quality of the Music Department based in the Aaron Copland School of Music, which is rigorous yet rewarding with many audition and performance opportunities.

Samin

When I first step foot onto the main entrance at Queens College, I was entranced by its beauty. As a traditional campus, it has all the things to offer. Ranging from the fresh air from the beautiful planted trees and ample fields of grass to lay on to the beautiful, historic shaped buildings and their rigorous academic structure. Queens college even contains a theater and multiple sport fields. More or so, Queens college is a huge place that is quite surprisingly affordable to many students. The faculty and staff members are extremely helpful as well. During the process of choosing my classes, my advisor answered all my unanswered questions and helped guide me in finding the classes that I deserve and also helped choose the classes where I can challenge my intellect. He even showed me a variety of classes to spark my interest. My advisor not only helped me effectively but also referred me to other faculty members where I can discover more and purse the major I want after thorough research. It led me to talking with my professor from the math department and with the grades I earned, he willfully placed me into honor calculus because he knows I have the potential to succeed. There are tons of extracurriculars, especially on “welcome day”, a special day created for clubs to showcase themselves to gain recruits, partners, friendships , and many more. The college even provides you with career opportunities to excel during and after college. Overall, a Queens college education, amazing faulty members and friendships with teachers and students alike is essentially beneficial to anyone with hopes and dreams. Especially when the college itself is more than worth the price.

Kerolos

Campus is beautiful, but it’s extermly hard to find food around campus or in campus. The social life isn’t really the best since people stick only to their groups. There is a lot of clubs to choose from but it was hard to know of their existence. I have met a lot of great professor, and really bad professor but overall most professors car and are available outside of class.

Margaret

Set in a residential neighborhood, Queens College students are bound to a multicultural experience attending school in Flushing, New York. If you're looking for a school in NYC with a quaint campus, you've found it. At the center of the campus are large patches of green lawn. The Rosenthal Library houses a picturesque bell tower as well as a well stocked stacks. The library just so happens to be the place where you'd want to study especially during finals week, as the library opens 24 hours. During the same week the professors also host Midnight Breakfast in the dining hall to give those all-nighters a boost with eggs and pancakes. Facilities wise, Queens College is a commuters' school, so don't be surprised if dormitories aren't the most affordable or well equipped. Classrooms are relatively new and cleaning, considering this being a CUNY. All in all, Queens College is a school that you'd want to go to if you can't afford a private university or independent housing and just want a degree without having to go into debt.

I wish there were more permanent Professors, however, the education is pretty good and its a great deal for the amount of money you pay. Though there isn't a lot going on around campus, the college is the perfect distance from the city and the mall for you to make your own fun. The housing is expensive, but the rooms are quite large and there are plenty of places to hang out in the dorms. The college offers a variety of majors and minors to choose from and the professors are quite knowledgeable. They are not, however, always available to the students. All in all CUNY in general is an incredible program and well worth it.

Ilana

A very affordable school that allows you to get a good education and set yourself up for a good career or for graduate school. There are a number of good opportunities for students to take advantage of if they so choose., and professors are available and helpful.

Mirajul

I love the environment, but as a student who wants to pursue a career as a physician assistant it becomes challenging for me because majors for my field are not popular in Queens College. Also, the science professors do not have much of a good rating in rate my professor.

Sara

Queens College has a great atmosphere. The professors are friendly, and if you put in effort, they will help you. They won't coddle you; they treat you like the adult you are. The only problem staff-wise is financial aid and the registrar. The employees there get frustrated when you ask questions, as if they are annoyed that they have to do their job. I have actually been hung up on after asking a simple question. As for the students, QC has an incredibly diverse student body. You can learn a lot about other cultures both inside and outside the classroom.

Leah

Queens College is an incredible place that has afforded me many opportunities. The convenience and close proximity of Queens College to my home,as well as most students homes(as it is a commuter school) is one massive perk that all students agree on. The great part though,is that students need not compromise education for convenience. Queens College is a "have my cake and eat it too" kind of school. It has a great location,a beautiful campus and stellar academics. It has an incredibly diverse student body and everyone can find people who they can relate to and causes to be involved in. The teachers in Queens College are incredibly dedicated and all offer the upmost guidance and assistance both in and out of class. I am truly lucky to be a Queens College student and I say that with pride.

Rebecca

Queens College has a very nice campus that is very close to New York City. The faculty and students are welcoming. The campus feels safe and not overly crowded. There are many things for students and non-students to do on campus, like museums and plays. Like every campus there are nice and then not so nice things. Something I would change would probably be better communication between faculty and students, also parking is a bit of a nightmare.

Hajira

It is a great school. There are some drawbacks, but the benefits override them! The school gives an experience that the student's create. You can be super involved, or you could show up for class and leave. You have the option to live on campus, though not a lot of students do.

Meytav

Queens College has a very focused and driven school system and student population, the students that are in this school are here to actually learn. The overall experience of this school is safe and welcoming, with a beautiful campus. There are a variety of class options and activities on and off campus every day, and students always know what is going on since these events usually take place outside on the field. Getting involved in activities in this school is easy, but if students choose not to participate, school can be kind of bland and may drag on. My favorite thing about this school is that there is a community for everyone, so everybody finds a place where they feel at home.

Suzanne

Queens college is okay. The food is not the best. It's an intense race for good professors. You really have to register right on you registration date to get good professors. There's a lot of courses that only say "staff" as the professor and you have to take a leap of faith on those classes. You have to be outgoing to make friends. If you have friends on campus and joins clubs you'll have a better time.

Tod

This is the worst college I have ever attended. This is where professor goes to die. They get all the shitty professor here and give them jobs. If you can avoid going to this college do at all cost. I think online classes would be better.

Hajira

CUNY Queens College is a great school for the price we are paying. Located in Flushing, NY, the area is rather lively with tons to do. Living on campus is a blessing as most classes are only few minutes away from the dorms. The dorms are quite large, with plenty of options. There are numerous clubs and activities available to students as well!

Nada

A college with a lot of opportunities, the campus is big compared to other colleges. Professors are very helpful when it comes to their students. It's an organized college also safe. Overall, my experience has been great and I got help when I need it.

Frances

It's worth what you pay, but unfortunately that isn't that much comparatively. The campus itself is kind of boring and depressing, but the professors are good depending on the department. Honestly, you could probably survive a zombie apocalypse here but you wouldn't want to.

Aida

The school provides me with the academic competition I need to be at the same level as Ivy league school and that makes me feel well prepared for my future career goals. In addition, the school provides students with recreational activities that helps us distress and clear our minds when we need to, for instance we have yoga, cross-fit, regular gym, and swimming pool.

Andreas

I really do enjoy my time studying at CUNY Queens College. The students and faculty are all so kind and supportive in anything I do. I feel very welcomed by all. Academics are important and this certainly is stressed at this institution. Professors are always willing to help if you need the extra guidance. The only downside to the college is the food selection in the cafeteria. It's really not that great especially considering this is a college. Also, there aren't many places to get a quick bite around the campus either, so make sure to pack your own lunch. Overall, the school is a good choice.

CUNY Queens College is a great school overall. For me personally, a STEM major, some professors are definitely way better than others, and most are very difficult and not the best at actually teaching. It is a New York City public school, so tuition is not very expensive which is great, but ultimately you do get what you pay for, so the schools facilities are sometimes outdated and not the best, especially compared to more expensive private universities. Also the guidance and advisement is terrible, and for the most part you are entirely independent as a student, which is not always a good thing. Despite this, for the price you can’t beat Queens College.

Fariha

QC is a really good college if you know how to take advantage of it. The staffs I came across with are really friendly and helpful. You can tell they really want to help. There are festivals help occasionally. Food is really good. Computer labs are also available. There are also a lot of tutor who help the students.

Michel

It's a different setting than a college in Brooklyn or Manhattan in my opinion. The campus is decently sized - pretty big. I see good opportunities to study in the facilities provided on campus. The library is definitely my favorite place here since it's where I can sit peacefully and study for hours before or after a class. It's pretty big, peaceful, and everyone here is friendly or mind their own business.

Bibi

It is a good school for commuting

Bayard

Overall, I have enjoyed my experience at Queens College. However, I believe the students can be more involved in campus and student activities, such as clubs and Greek life. Fortunately, I am a member of Greek life at Queens College. I belong to a fraternity called Alpha Chi Rho, and there are a decent amount of students involved in Greek life, but since Queens College does not promote Greek life, it can be very difficult for fraternities and sororities to gain resources they need to promote themselves for recruitment and social events. However, once you get involved, I feel there is a lot to take advantage of. Additionally, I have no complaints about the academics at Queens College, since in my personal opinion, Queens College has some of the best academic departments out of every university in the United States, since students are learning the same curriculum, and gaining a quality education at an affordable cost. In particular, since I am a History and Political Science major, with a Spanish minor, I can say from the bottom of my heart that the History department, Political Science department, and Spanish department have amazing staff, as well as some of the best professors I have had in my undergraduate college experience. However, one other complaint I would have about Queens College, if I had to think of one, would be directed at the Queens College administration. Many times, they make it very difficult for students to register for classes, pay tuition, and find information about different departments. Nonetheless, since I will be graduating Queens College this May, I can say that I enjoyed my undergraduate experience at Queens College, and I would recommend it to high school freshmen, and transfer students who want a great college experience, without worrying about being in excessive debt in the process.

Maya

The school is a quality and affordable choice for students, with a suburban feel, while being close to the mega metropolis of New York City. As a commuter school, there is not a great sense of community. In order to get to an academic community, you have to get to know the professors and work to build your curriculum. Generally, students are just there to go to class and get to their next activity. For a solid and affordable, but not so much a "traditional college experience" choose this school.

Vanina

The professors and faculty are very down to earth and kind and approachable. The curriculum is also amazing and flexible. The campus itself is not my favorite due to its open areas but some people enjoy that scenery. There are not many stores available near by or transit options so it is limited in that sense. Other than that, it’s a great educational experience.

Shahzade

I think it’s outdated, especially the security. It’s in the middle of Flushing, so it doesn’t feel like it’s own entity. It just feels like it’s another thing just taking up space in an already cramped place. It doesn’t really feel like you are at college in all honesty. That could just be my own personal experience though. I didn’t enjoy it so that’s why I’m transferring schools.

Tenzin

I like it. I was a student there during the summer and I enjoyed my time there. The professors and the staff members are very friendly and supportive, and the overall campus is lovely and very welcoming. I have no issues feeling safe, and I like that it is somewhat big. I'd recommend this college.

Rajbir

I am loving the school, it is exactly how college should feel. Everyone is there to learn and the environment is energetic especially in the long lectures and the labs. I have a feeling I won't be dreading school and actually looking forward to coming and learning every day.

Daniela

I had a positive experience at Queens College. I obtained my bachelor's degree there and then I went back after working for a few years to complete nursing prerequisite courses. I always felt safe walking around alone during the day and even into the evening. There were a handful of professors I really admired and could tell they wanted their students to really learn. Overall, a positive experience and I would recommend to someone interested in going to college in Queens, NY.

Oscar

Queens College was a great college for me at the time. I was a commuter, going to grad school while working, and extremely busy. Their schedules worked well with mine. My professors were all very knowledgeable​ and accessible. I would recommend it highly.

Shea-Ann

Queens College's diversity is quite obvious as a student walks on campus. Art and Science are significant as both subjects have their own buildings. Learning a language here, like how I learn Russian, are easier to learn. The campus itself is a good size and does not feel cramped. If there is a willingness to find solitude, there are several locations to sit and think alone. The library is also a major asset, but it does close at midnight. There are weekend classes that make scheduling feasible.

Dillon

Queens College has a really nice campus and many facilities and on-campus events that all make campus life rather active. In general, the atmosphere on the campus is very chill; students can always be seen going around the campus whether to class or hanging out with friends or at clubs and events, and your privacy can still be maintained. For such a big campus, in no one place that I've been to so far, have I ever felt unsafe or in danger. There are plenty of nice food places on and around the campus, as well as a park next to it as a nice convenience, along with all of the sports fields that the campus already has. The professors all are very nice and friendly, and the classes, if you pay attention, are easy to manage. With its wonderful on-campus library to top it all off, I love Queens College and recommend students pursuing any major at all to join the Queens College community!

Dina

I’m a grad student and I really like the program. The professors are knowledgeable and passionate about the subject matter. The schedule is convenient and the professors answer student questions and concerns promptly. The tuition is a good value. I would recommend this school.

Britney

Good school, good campus, good teachers. Class sizes are small, lectures are split between small 'labs' and lecture hours. Campus feels really safe. The administration is annoyingly bureaucratic and getting assistance can sometimes require going through several people.

Denys

Queens College is an exceptional school. It provides quality and equitable education to students in any field of study. The professors and department are always to attentive to student needs and help out in the best way that they can. This is one of the reasons I have continued my graduate degrees at Queens College.