Dixie State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Dixie State University

Autumn

DSU is cost effective and has small class sizes that make it easy to socialize with fellow students and professors. Most professors are very invested in their students. DSU is going through a period of growth and change, so there are some really updated buildings and some really out of date buildings. Overall, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Marisa

Amazing and I love they are moving forward with a new name that breeds inclusiveness. President Williams is a leader and doing great things with the university

Emma

I love Dixie State! During the 2020 pandemic they have taken many precautions for the safety of its students, while maintaining a fun healthy environment for students! The professors are very easy to get ahold of and class sizes help with one on one help.

Anna

It is not the best school, but it works for my situation.

Chandler

Dixie State University is a great university surrounded by state and national parks, lakes, and great people! There are so many sports and intramural a to get involved with here! It's so much fun!

Francisco

Dixie state university is an incredible college to grow in. St. George is a small city that gives you the freedom of the small town life and the entertainment of the city life. The classes are small so you get a lot of one on one with your teachers and the teachers are more than willing to help you out with anything and will work with your schedule. The campus is clean and safe and best of all it is very affordable.

krista

I am so glad I had made the decsion to go to Dixie! The professors know your name and classes are very small and personal. Since the campus is small buildings are close and you can see mulitple students in your same class. Dixie also has many clubs on campus and encourage students to get involved! If you don't have a club you want to join, you can start your own. Everyone at Dixie State makes it comforable and a great place to go to school. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else!

Kilee

Dixie State University widely accepts all kinds of students- race, ethnicity, and gender. They have diversity week, many different clubs, and programs that give special recognition and help to students who want to share that different and special side of themselves. They strive to create an environment that makes learning exciting, and combine it with the great outdoor activities and opportunities like the nearby national and state parks. It is a fast growing community, with more opportunities and expansion of programs, buildings, and facilities every year.

Alexis

I really like Dixie State because it is a school with a happy-medium for me. The small class size offers a more intimate class setting, aiding me in a way that I am more comfortable with my peers and professors.

ShannonDawn

Dixie state is a very good college school. They provide you what you need and that's what I love about this school. They're there when you are failing or having hard time. They would also let you know if you need this or that and they don't rush you at all to get your education done. Its a great school to come to.

Jim

I'm excited about what Dixie State University offers now and will offer in the future. The professors here want you to succeed and are always willing to help with any need. I admire the constant ambition our administrators have with expanding new frontiers. I couldn't imagine college life anywhere else.

Bailey

I love the class sizes! And the teachers truly care about the students. The on campus housing is wonderful and less expensive then off campus. The campus is small and beautiful. They're always giving out free stuff around campus, food is the most popular thing handed out. It is wonderful here!

Pamela

I am completely honored to be able to say I am attending a University as my first year and semester in college. Dixie State, makes a dream to many students that look for the college life experience come true, even if you are living off-campus. It is an enjoyable time to come to school and attend class, the staff and Professors make learning and having a good time look so easy after many people portraying it to be so hard. The environment and the amazing people on campus is what appeals people all around the country to come and study at Dixie State University. It is incredible to see the diversity of people all come together for something we all have in common, a higher education and to have fun.

Angie

I know many students who attend Dixie State. I will be attending during the Spring 2016 semester. I am really looking forward to being a student at Dixie State because of all the great things I have heard.

Danajah

I only spent a semester at Dixie just to try out what the college life is like and how it feels to be independent. I loved the independent life, going home whenever I wanted. Going grocery shopping for myself. The only problem is I couldn't connect to the teachers. I didn't have fun in the classroom. Maybe due it being a small town, I'm use to the city life. Dixie isn't a bad school, I just couldn't connect to it.

Allison

This is my first year at Dixie, and I love it. Although it doesn't get talked about a lot, they have a pretty good music education department. The faculty is amazing, and the small class sizes make learning easy. Plus, there's something to do for all personalities here. No matter what you're into, you'll find it here.

Garett

The departments don't work well with each other but I enjoy the smaller classrooms. I've enjoyed working with Dean Wells and other professors. Some classes I feel forced to take to achieve a degree and others I love. I've worked with the SAA and the MCDC and I've enjoyed the leadership positions that have been offered to me. These positions have helped me develop leadership skills.

Chelsey

Dixie is a wonderful university with great programs and teachers. I have really enjoyed learning in this environment and participating in great school events. You can really tell that each of the teachers really care about the success of their students, and want to help them get far in life.

Venisse

Dixie State is a good, decent school. There aren't many degrees that are offered here, but if you just plan on taking your general education classes, this will suit you. The tuition is not expensive and class sizes are not big. The biggest class that I have had was with 40 students. Professors are easy to reach and talk to. This is not a party school like most prospective students expect it to be. The party is up on the mountains. Hike at the national park, go to the lake, that's the party. No greek life, low campus crime rate, good weather all year round. The food sucks because there's not a lot of choices.

Grace

I have dreamed of going to Dixie State since I was 10 years old and it has lived up to everything I thought it would be and more! There are weekly events put on by DSUSA and other programs. The sporting events aren't crazy in numbers but always so much fun and I try to make it to everyone I can. The academic program is fantastic and I have learned so much from my professors just this semester and have been able to network with my professors and so many other people. There are so many different clubs to join and be a part of, I joined the skate club and was asked to be on the presidency so I work on that doing an event at least once a month and its been so much fun and a great way to get me and keep me involved with the dixie life.

Liz

My opinion dixie is a good school, good size campus, great professors that will take time to help you out when you're having trouble with an assignment. And the other students on campus are friendly and can easily start any conversation. It's not too far from my home so it's a easy drive through st George.

Morgan

Dixie State is the place to be! Even from living miles and miles away, the application process was a snap! I completed everything necessary to be admitted in just one day. The teachers, counselors and students are all very neighborly! Everyone is always willing to help you out with your questions or concerns. YOUR education is what they care about. GO TO DIXIE! You won't regret a thing!

Gabrielle

I love Dixie State University! All of my professors and councilors have been readily available in every aspect to help me succeed. The food on campus is ok, they just got rid of an awesome salad bar, so a good portion of students are disappointed. Overall this is a great school, I really have enjoyed the Math Lab for help with my assignments. They have a variety of activities for students to participate in, from fitness classes to movie nights they have it all. The student council is very involved and always willing to help. The school fitness center could use a little updating and I wish it was free with your student ID, but that is my only complaint.

Madison

Dixie State University!!!! What a place to be. It is a school not many talk about or know about but it's about time it gets the recognition it deserves! It has come a long way, from being a small-town 2 year College to a 4 year University in one of the fastest growing cities of the United States: Saint George, UT!. Being only a few hours away from Lake Powell and Zion National Park with great weather year round, who wouldn't be proud to be a part of Trailblazer Nation? The thriving environment, incredible staff of professors and administrators, exceptional academics, and overall campus life make DSU a strong 4/5! There is always room for improvement and no place is perfect but Dixie State sure comes close. I do think of it as a place for the upcoming future generation to grow, learn and be their individual best selves! I am so grateful as a Sophomore for all I have seen, heard, and experienced. I will take it with me to where my life takes me next. A great place to start off your general educations and a great placed to end it. #DSUFamily #TrailblazerNation

MaKady

I love attending Dixie State University. It is a beautiful school located in such a beautiful area. There are always activities and things to do on and off campus. Most of the professors at Dixie are absolutely amazing! They will take time to meet with you and help you whenever you need it. Due to the small class sizes Dixie provides an environment where students can get to know other students and their professors on a personal level and create long lasting relationships.

Erin

Dixie State University has a beautiful campus and the people there are usually very friendly and nice. However, this is not a good school to choose if you're looking for a good education or you have difficulty meeting people and making new friends. The academics are below college-level; being in the classrooms is like being back in high school. The assignments aren't challenging and don't require a lot of effort or critical thinking. The professors are nice and flexible when it comes to homework and assignments, but some of them don't know what they're talking about or how to run their classes. You may walk away with some knew knowledge, but Dixie State's education is below average. Another aspect that the University could improve on is inclusivity. It's very difficult to make friends and meet new people if you don't enter the university with an established group of people or friends. The campus is broken up into groups and clubs that are very exclusive. If you're not a member of Student Body or the LDS church, you're often left out of activities and opportunities and ignored by your fellow students, faculty, and professors. Dixie State University is a community college at best that is only inviting and welcoming to people who are just like them. It is not an environment that fosters open-mindedness or inclusivity; it is a University that focuses on family values and Mormonism.

Ashton

Choosing a college let alone, calling this place home for the next four years, was a scary feeling. But, once I set foot on campus...the rest is history. Friendly people, safe community, affordable and in the last 5-10 years...student enrollment has overwhelmingly grown - which is a huge statement. And one of the main reasons I chose to be a DSU Trailblazer!

Jacob

Having only been there for about a semester, I can say without a doubt that this school is best for those who need more of a small town sort of college. This college averages about eight to nine thousand students currently. All of the departments are well founded, and the professors (or at least a good majority of them) care how students perform and want them to succeed in their courses. The Art department is still developing, but it is sufficient to learn from. The business department is well developed, and has excellent professors to learn from. Also, this college does have an institutional requirement to learn microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Onedrive/Windows 10), so be aware of that as you are signing up. The social life at the school is a bit lax compared to a larger school, most of the school activities are either sports games or a club activity. Finding friends will be difficult, as the majority of students are usually full-time in their studies. Tuition is very low, and the student store is tax free. Overall, decent school to go to if you want to avoid the "big city" type of schools.

Jaysie

I loved it so much! The campus feel and the environment is amazing and everyone truly has a desire to be there. I love the location of this school as well, from the warm summer sun to the red sand, Dixie has so much to offer!

Kristen

As a previous Ambassador at Dixie State University, I loved everything about the school, honestly. From the small class sizes to the astonishing views and extracurricular activities Saint George had to offer, its an amazing destination for success. Being part of Dixie State feels like being part of a family. The size of the school is just big enough so you get the specialized one-on-one attention while also feeling like you're attending a school that means something. Being only 2.5 hours from Las Vegas, 30 minutes from Zion National Park and having so many recreational opportunities just minutes from the school is a strong selling point as well. I love my experience at DSU.

Jaron

It honestly is amazing! It is the perfect fit for me. Great campus, amazing professors, awesome education, student life is fun and all around outstanding! There is a reason the Dixie State each semester gets bigger and bigger! People like it here and want to come to Dixie.

Kristen

I'm planning to attend Dixie State University in the fall of 2018. I've visited the campus and I think the environment is wonderful. There is so much to do on campus as well as off campus. I'm ecstatic to be able to attend this amazing school. The students and staff seem like amazing people and I know I will fit in and do well attending this college.

Makenzie

I love Dixie State University. There is always something going on. They have coed sports that anyone can sign up for all year round and it includes almost every sport. Every Wednesday night they have a new activity on campus and its free to all students. They are very active and try to keep students involved.

Kelsey

I love attending Dixie State! The warm weather, the low tuition costs, and the small class sizes are only a few of the many reasons #IGoToDixie. My professors are genuinely interested in my education and are always available/willing to answer my questions. I have enjoyed attending a school with professors who WANT me to succeed. Dixie also has many different activities and options to get involved! They have weekly Wednes-D activities to bring students together for good fun and free food. There are a variety of clubs, sporting events, and intramural activities that encourage students to be involved and make the most of their college experience outside the classroom.

Damieon

Dixie State University is a great school. There is so many ways to get involved. The environment is definitely one of the main reasons why I chose to go here to further my education. Going here makes college fun. Most other college students are stressed out but here everyone helps each other out so there is never a reason to be unhappy here.

I think Dixie State has a very great environment for students who are looking for a great interactive higher education experience. I am planning on going there, know people who attend, and have visited multiple times, I love it and can't wait to go.

Kara

In my honest opinion Dixie is the perfect school to go to right out of high school. The student life is incredible, there are opportunities for every kind of personality, hobby, and mood. Plenty of parties, plenty of hikes, or plenty of little coffee shops to go read a book. I felt very safe and very comfortable wherever I was on campus. The resources were always very helpful, and even more so, very kind when I felt I was asking a dumb question I needed help with. Aside from the student life, I truly enjoyed my academic experience. Dixie is a school, that gives back whatever effort you put in. I tried really hard in all of my classes, asked questions, tried not to procrastinate, and it really showed in the end. The professors are more than willing to help, as long as you take the effort to ask. The education I received was quality, helpful, and in honestly very enjoyable. There academic scholarships, and financial plans are really helpful and accommodating! I suggest anyone who is considering college to look into Dixie, I had absolutely no intent on going there when looking for schools but now I wish I could go back!

Hailee

The school is super nice and friendly, it's an enjoyable experience there. Classes aren't big enough that you feel like you can't ask questions or talk to the teacher one on one, but they aren't small enough that you feel like you don't have enough peers to communicate with or study with. It's a safe environment and you feel pretty safe over all. Great programs and classes.

DeeAnn

Dixie is a REALLY great college for those who love the outdoors. It has lots of hiking and outdoor things to do. I learned lots in the classes and the teachers just want you to learn. They don't go overboard crazy with the homework just enough to help you learn and keep it in your brain.

Shane

Dixie State University is a great place to start with your further education. The best place in Utah to get GE credits. It has a nice, small campus. Fun environment and activities. Surroundings beautiful and location is phenomenal. I am enjoying my time at Dixie!

Bryan

It's a really good school for the price and the parties are litty, I live close to the school want I'm blessed to live next to such an inexpensive education it makes me really happy how much everyone there cares and the Starbucks is litty af, straight fire.

Erica

In all honesty, I really love this school. I come from Las Vegas so I grew up only hearing about the colleges there, it wasn't until high school that I learned about DSU. Immediately, I knew that I wanted to study there. Everyone that I've met has been super nice and the teachers are 90% of the time always available to help out the students. Give DSU a chance, I'm sure you'll love it!

Rachael

Dixie is a great mid sized University. Most professors want to see you succeed and you can meet with them during office hours or schedule an appointment with them. There are a lot of campus services, such as a writing center, math lab and career center that will help you if needed and are free. There are campus activities every week that are free for students and most provide food. St. George has a lot of outdoor recreation and doesn't really ever get colder than 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The downsides to Dixie, housing can be a bit pricy and there is not a lot of it. This is only a four year college and it doesn't have a lot of majors yet. Because it recently became a four year college a lot of expansion is happening so there is construction happening on campus. Also St George doesn't have a lot of shopping options. Overall Dixie is a really decent college and the cheapest in Utah, I enjoy attending Dixie.

Kaylee

It seems like a really nice campus, especially where the tuition is so low compared to the other universities in the state. The weather is beautiful and the atmosphere is very inviting. The professors are all here to help us as students and the professor to student ratio is really nice because there aren't a ton of kids per professor so I am able to get more one-on-one time. I really love it here.

MATTISON

AWESOME! It is an amazing atmosphere with endless possibilities! The safe environment enhances conversations among people you have never met before! The possibilities bring on new relationships with spunky adventures! The possibilities offered bring on more and more!

Allie

I have loved Dixie and getting to know everyone on this campus!

Katherine

Dixie State University is a great school! Everyone really cares about the students and really wants them to succeed. There are plenty of opportunities to make friends, have fun, all while getting a great education. The teachers are available and are willing to answer questions and help you make sure you understand the material. They are always reachable by email as well. They have a great tutoring center as well. It is a small campus, but it is growing. There are plenty of people attending the university, however not so many that you get lost in the crowd. They really want the best for their students and if there is anything you ever want to change, they even have a student government that can help you make those changes.

Rachael

I highly recommend Dixie State University. I have been attending now for 3 years. I have really enjoyed many aspects of the school. Campus is a good size, small but growing. Over the time I've been at Dixie many new buildings and updates have been added which have been very beneficial. Class sizes are small allowing for one on one attention. Faculty truly cares about the success of their students. St. George is a great city to live for an active lifestyle. There is plenty to do and explore when you're not on campus. There are great places to visit nearby for weekend getaways: Las Vegas, Zion National Park, etc. I have loved Dixie and highly recommend it to anyone looking for an outstanding college experience.

Sydnee

I love Dixie State University. I believe that it is a perfect school for all who are seeking a good education without huge class sizes. If you are looking for a more personalized and individualized education, this is the school for you. The location is perfect and provides not only convenience and beauty around campus but all throughout Saint George, Utah. I know that Dixie State University is a very inclusive school where lots of things change just because of the students. The all-around atmosphere is very welcoming.

AudriLyn

Like any school if you want a party you will usually find one, but the thing I like most is no matter what type of standards you have you will find an environment that you fit into. I know Dixie has the reputation of a party school but for me I have never seen that. What I see are Professors who care genuinely about the success of their students. A student body who goes out of their way to include everyone in activities, and a community who pulls together to provide food, shelter, and fun for all of its students.