Essex County College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Essex County College

Demi

Essex County does it's job and nothing more, though I will say most of the teachers I have had actually do care about their students and will try and help them figure out what to do once their two years are up. I will say that is where Essex shines the most, it's teachers. Every teacher I've had at this school has made due with what they had to teach to their fullest potential, I never felt like just a paycheck to them. The campus also has loads of opportunities for scholarships and other grants, though the college is given a bad reputation and sometimes deserves it, Essex will do everything in it's power to help you graduate and that really is the first thing you should want from your college.

Nycekka

I have gone to Montclair State University and Union County College. Both schools are great however I love going to Essex County College. The teachers actually care. The work is not too difficult (believe me I am a pre med major). Also it doesn't cost a lot to go here. If I could have just went here in the beginning I would have.

Amelia

Essex County college is a commuity collge so it probably does not have all of the resources of a school that is a college or university. However, it's cheap and it's a good school to go to and get an associates or to start out and then transfer a four year college or university.

Issaiah

Essex County College is an affordable school. It has a wide variety of courses and majors to choose from. There are a few professors who take the time to prepare students for success. There's great food in the cafeteria and food trucks nearby. There's no on campus housing, but the school's right in the middle of the city, so there's a lot to do when class is over.

virginia

This college is looked down upon mainly because its a community college but from my experience its as good as other colleges. The professors here take pride in what they do and teach with passion helping students engage in the classroom and understand the topic at hand. I am delighted that I am a student attending Essex, everyone treats each other with respect and kindly.

Kelly

My school is a very easy place to go, get your work done, and leave. That's pretty much all it is. It's super tiny. So it's pretty hard to avoid seeing anyone. It's simple. Parking is easy and also finding your classes too. But, none of the extracurriculars occur at my campus. The main campus, which is in a moderately bad area, contains all of the clubs, sports, and activities to get involved, which is it's biggest major downside. I would loved to get involved if I had the accessibility to do so. I like most of my professors. Some, however, make it extremely clear who actually has a passion for teaching, while others are simply there because they cannot find a job otherwise. In a way, it makes going to my school very discouraging.

Julian

About my experience: -Ain't bad, ain't too great either -Good introduction to college education and financial stress -Good 'chaser' towards applying a four-year university -Left this college because the college itself was dipping financially; got saved by gov't funds after afterwards, better take that with a grain of salt -Security is ok, they give good directions -Amount of 'Give a care' teachers cancel themselves out with the amount of 'give me a paycheck' teachers ---There are a few 'menace to finances & records' up in there too -Cafeteria is good, and there are a couple food trucks around campus (didn't try their food, tho) ---Who's bright idea was it for making people pay $4.99 for ONE pizza slice? ---Luncheon is decent, gets kinda loud in one corner of it, tho (but I didn't see anybody escorted) -WebAssign is a borderline scam; just let us pay the books instead of paying for a bootleg Khan Academy ---Some classes require you to buy BOTH the WebAssign AND the book -Computer labs are decent, printing can be kinda confusing, tho Some advise (based off what I done/my regrets): --Every college--nah, ALL colleges are gonna give you the filler (gen. ed.) classes that you MUST take for your degree that have nothing to do with your major (do you really need to write like a pro author for a computer science degree?), so you're gonna have to just deal with it and take them anyway if you're striving for a degree ----Find the easiest professor if you feel your gen. ed. class has almost no relation to your major --------Best to take one of these classes alongside one of your major-requirements, they're good 'calmers' if your major classes are getting overwhelming --DON'T take a semester full of difficult classes unless you wanna be in a straitjacket --Remember, taking FOUR classes is full-time --Get an ID card ASAP, because you gonna need for the: ----Welcome/Welcome Back feast happens early Fall semester; free popcorn, sno-cones and bbq --COMPLETE your FAFSA asap, then COMPLETE your NJ HESAA, and then hunt down those scholarships and grants --Apply to a work study, they can give you extra pay on the side; working at the Computer Lab is easy money --I think the vending machines nearby the side entrance/English area by the bottom of the staircases are the cheapest ones if you wanna buy a quick snack --Even out your schoolwork; EXAMPLE: If you are already acing a class but don't have time to finish an assignment for it ALL THE WHILE you got another class you're having trouble with and have to finish an assignment for it around the same time, I'd best say to have that straight-A class take the hit and build your grades back up for the one you're not so hot on --Wayback machine has some free literature to find if you need a legit source for a research paper --Keep studying whatever chance you get ----Study center is good to keep a mental note on doing this --------Better make some study groups, and if you can't, get help from a tutor instead --------The library is your best bet for the quietest study area --This school ain't really gonna reach out to you, so you better have a voice and hunt down assistance --Always read the syllabus to know what's coming up (and to make sure if the teacher is legit) --If Adobe ain't the way to go, you better get down to that bookstore and pay for the books ASAP --If y'all are doing a group project, just use Google Drive/Docs, otherwise y'all are making it harder for yourselves ----If y'all wanna communicate with each other, just use your phone (Skype eats up your computer memory/makes the computer hot) --If you got people who you feel will be your future homies, get their phone number or their Facebook or something, and if you do, you better keep in touch ----And if you did all the above, don't leave them hanging after y'all are done taking the same class ----Same goes for certain professors via email, some can give you really good advise (trust!) in education and life in general --GOTO your or any advisor ASAP ----They help you out by recommending certain classes/giving you a template of what you should take over your two-year course --If you don't know what to do, reach out to the administration ASAP ----Administration got a few fools in there who think helping a helpless student out with bad attitude is key, so you better hold your tongue if you need some help in the future --If you're confused with the subject, reach out to the teacher ASAP ----If your teacher ain't good at their job, reach out to the tutor ASAP --------If your tutor ain't good at their job, then reach out to classmates ASAP ------------If y'all study group ain't understanding either, then the Internet will --Check ratings for teachers first before applying to their classes (saves you a lotta anger, stress, money and time) --Be prepared for a cramped/filled parking lot (might be better off just taking the bus) --This college is in the ghetto, so there's plenty of hoodrats here--steer clear of them --Rutgers University and NJIT are relatively close if you ever wanna get education/books/notes/etc. from them --Knew a guy that looked just like Rakim

Jazmyn

It is a decent school. It is a 2 year college so it is not extravagant. Very helpful school as long as you are willing to go for help and not just expect them to reach out to you. The school is overall clean and a lot of friendly faces. Have good professors

Marshal

Essex County College is just a place to be. I can't afford to miss certain things I know will help me so much in life such as: Academics and sports. These two work hand-in-hand to build personalities up to standard and I am sure there are best offered at Essex County College. A college where there is no room for racism or anything of sort. I just can't explain, you have to feel it yourself. Try Essex County College today.

Ashrakat

It is almost good college it has many of activity we can work on it. it has many gyms we can play on it. my college is helpful. I have a good teacher on compos. the college has many clubs we can register on it. we also have a Tutoring Help. they help us a lot.

Fiorella

Essex county college needs many improvements. First of all they need to improve their staff. Whenever you reach somebody on the phone line they do not have patience for any extraordinary questions. Improving their staff ans instructors will efficiently change the whole atmosphere of the College.

Kaitlyn

It is an okay school. Not my cup of tea. Some professors are great while others are total jerks. The administration is terrible, rude and not helpful. The school itself is outdated and run down. Don't expect to find somewhere quiet on campus to get homework done. Would give it zero stars if i could

Shirlee

Overall, Essex County College is great. My experience thus far has been a good one. The staff is courteous and helpful, and my professors have been wonderful. I am looking forward to starting the summer session in May. There are a variety of workshops and entertainment offered by Essex County College, all designed to give students well-rounded educational, cultural, and social experiences.

Webster

It is an ok college experience with teachers that are dedicated to teaching the material and care a lot about students achievements.

Patricia

Since I started at Essex County I have been successful in every class of choice. It's a great school with some really intelligent professors that know how to grow a students confidence for success. I am so glad I took the time to attend this college that it has taught me some very valuable life lessons. Pat

Desiree

Essex County College is a good school, very well priced.

Chinyere

Great experience

Karla

I believe Essex County College is a good way to start, specially for those students who are not sure what path to follow for their careers, and for those like me who have decided to return to school and must work at the same time. I like it, because they have a diveristy of academics, and the class schedules are flexible, therefore students can attend classes and work as well. Faculty are very helpful in every department. They are polite and respectful, of course. Acces to the library and computer laboratories are good.

Doina

My overall experience at Essex County College is positive. I think it's worth it and very affordable. I have already registered for my second semester and I'm glad I did. In the last semester, I had one great Professor and another one was just ok. Professors get back to you as soon as they can.