Centreville, MI
Glen Oaks Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Glen Oaks Community College

Robert

I believe Glen Oaks Community College is a great first step for people looking to further their education. Primarily this is because of class size, affordability, and overall experience! The class sizes at Glen Oaks are around 30 or less in the general classes and have been known to get down to a 5 to 1 student to professor ratio in the more advanced classes. This is great because the professors are nearly always available for questions and tutoring outside of class which shows an immense amount of care on their part for if their student is truly learning or not! I also loved the affordability . The colleege is fairly affordable with the usual general classes being about $2,000 per semester and increasingly slightly with the more advanced classes. One of the best things is that the cost doesn't affect the learning experience. Yes, some of the equipment in the science wing may seem outdated, but because of the class size the overall emount of learning achieved could be compared if not qual to or above a larger university. When you tie in the affordability and class size it really makes the college experience enjoyable. Also with the addition of on campus housing Glen Oaks Community College is quickly becoming a small atmosphere of eenjoyable learning. They have multiple practice facilities for sports and this allows for extracuricullar activities outside of classes and still being able to get that "on your own" feeling at a community college. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Glen Oaks Community College and feel it more than prepared me for the next step in my educational journey. I also loved the feeling you got from the professors that, unlike a larger university with larger class sizes, they truly cared whether you succeed or not, and I personally feel they contributed to the motivation I have to continue on my path. Glen oaks is more than a college, it is a community, and to some me especially I built a family!

Rebecca

Glen Oaks Community College is a great place to start your college education, whether it be taking a few classes here and there or taking on a full-time schedule. There's a nice variety of classes that are available, and there is a good range of majors to choose from. Glen Oaks is a wonderful college!

Jalen

As a dual enrollment student, they get the job done. There's nothing exciting they offer and just now have athletic only dorms. I won't go here full time but for right now I'm satisfied with everything. They could have some of the professors become more involved, and maybe be more available. Some are great about it and others are not. I hope all full time students enjoy it, but it does not serve give me what I need for the future.

Brandi

As a student of glen oaks, i would highly recommend this school to any person looking to receive an education from a school that takes time to make sure every student has the opportunity to expand their knowledge. The staff is always working to make improvements and the student body is super friendly and open! All around, a great school!

Annie

Glen Oaks Community College, although extremely affordable, suffers from low standards.

Annie, be confident. You are intelligent, beautiful, and self-sufficient. Do not apologize for the unique way you see the world, because your vision has already been shaped by more trouble and triumph than most of your peers. Although the road ahead seems unclear, there is no need to worry. Your path has been set for you by One who is greater. Prepare yourself for late nights, early mornings, and the exhaustion and nervous energy that follow. Look forward to the awkward coffee breaks and spontaneous adventures with strangers, people who will then become close friends. You will need close friends for the troubling depression and anxiety you will walk through, because those friends will hold you up and help you along the way. And when you defeat that monster called depression, those friends will also celebrate the victory. The freedom you will feel along the way, albeit with uncertainty, is something to treasure. These are unique times; make the most of every opportunity, but most of all make memories.

Shelby

Most of my classmates are older. A lot of them have been layed off from their prior jobs and are going back to school to get an education for a new job. The other half of my classmates are going to school at Glen Oaks because it's cheap and you are getting your general education classes out of the way before transferring to a 4 year university.

The advice I would give myself is to not be pessimistic about starting off at a community college. For me, it seemed like everyone I knew was going away to a school of their choice and doing exactly what they wanted to do. I was so frustrated because it seemed like I was the only person I knew who had to start off at a smaller school and I had absolutely no clue what I wanted to do. There is so much pressure on kids who are my age because we are expected to know exactly what we are going to do for the rest of our lives right here, right now. Why did it seem like everyone was making these decisions so easily? After a semester at community college, I found out that many students don't know what they want and a lot of them transferred to MY school after their first semester at a 4 year university. I know now that I was making the better choice to start smaller because I had an extra two years to really get a handle on what I wanted to do. If I only I would have known that then.

The worst thing about my school is the fact that the area is so rural. There isn't a lot going on in the small town of Centreville and not a lot of people even know that Glen Oaks Community College even exists, which is sad because it really is a great place to start your college education!

Caryssa

I have matured and grown as a person since I have attended college. Also, there are many things that I have learned through my experiences and mistakes. With this said, if I was able to go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would inform myself of the competition, tuition, and time put into the school work. First, the competition for high GPA's and classes have become extrememly difficult. With the continuously growing college attendence the fight for better grades and jobs have become close to nearly impossible to beat, but still worth the try! Next, the growing tution. Every year thousands of schools raise their tuitions to an even higher level. It might be difficult, but get a job! It is not impossible as long as you make sure to show your commitment and hard work. Lastly, do not procrastinate with your homework! That is much easier said than done, I know through experience. Homework is the key to your studying, learning, and testing of a particular subject. Overall, college is going to be a difficult but very worthwhile task. It might take years to do, but never give up on your dreams!

Though Glen Oaks has a great staff and lower prices than other colleges it also has its flaws. The worst thing about this college is that they have not put their money to good use. For instance, when we get rain storms or even a heavy snowfall the ceilings leak. As a student or staff member walks down the long hallway towards the stairs the first thing they will spot is all the buckets on the floor catching all the water dripping from the ceiling.

Ususally, If I am speaking of Glen Oaks I will inform the listener on the student to teacher ratio. I love the one on one discussions between the students and teachers. I do believe that each student learns differently, therefore, there should be a slight difference in teaching for each student as well. With the close connections between students and professors it greatly advances both the students learning ability and the professors teaching ability. If a person decides on attending this small country community college they will find it to be a great learning space that will advance their knowledge.

I would go back and tell myself to really weigh the options of different schools. I wish I had not gone to Glen Oaks mainly because I feel like I'm wasting my time there because of no music program available. Being a music major, it is not doing much for me except that I'm getting my general studies completed at a much cheaper price. I definitely would tell myself that it is smart to visit a ton of colleges and compare them before I make a decision. But I would tell myself to go to a community college that has a stable, good music program available because saving money is a key thing in decision-making, so that when I transfer out of a community college, I would have saved myself a lot of money.

I am disappointed that my college is completely getting rid of their music program. I am a very musical person, and it's driving me crazy not having any music during school for classes.

I'm really happy that I'm going to this community college because I don't have to pay and arm and a leg for classes and it is only ten miles from home.

Glen Oaks Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.