Grand Valley State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Valley State University

Faith

I think that Grand Valley State is a very welcoming and continuing growing University. I feel that students from around the globe attend the school and from what I have heard from friends attending it, they let the atmosphere. I agree with them on the aspect of the campus being very welcoming. I can not wait to attend this fall and finally be a Laker.

Renee

Wonderful school with great opportunities for students of all ages. The campus is beautifully maintained and everything is a short walk away. The professors are invested in their students’ education and are usually available to help. GVSU has a wide range of majors to study.

Mya

I absolutely love the atmosphere. Ever since I stepped foot on the campus I fell in love. They have so many great opportunities to further your education, the staff is amazing. The students there are so supportive and interested in you. I have met so many wonderful people already.

Amy

Its a nice school for students who want to go into the medical field, but don't want to go to a super competitive school. There are a lot of general education credits that you have to take to graduate, which can end up holding you back for several years. Most people seem to stay there for 5 or 6 years just to earn an undergraduate degree.

Ivan

hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey

Maria

Grand Valley has a heavy focus on liberal education and has overall made me a happier and more educational woman.I am grateful for my time at Grand Valley State University and hope that I can be successful in my major. The campus is beautiful and I made the right choice in coming here.

Grand Valley State University is a great school. There is an event happening almost every day or night, giving students and staff multiple opportunities to get involved. The number of clubs and extracurricular activities also allow people to step out of their comfort zones and meet others they may not met otherwise. The average sized classroom is great and the professors want to help you succeed. There are various help resources for classwork and other things you may need help with.

Brendan

It's my top choice in colleges and I love it there. It is my perfect college experience.

Grand Valley has been an amazing experience for me. It has gone above and beyond what I expected. I remember my first week, when we had transitions. One of the speakers shared about “being ugly” and not just going along with everyone but working towards your future for your own reasons and standing by your reasons. Grand Vally State University has made an environment for students of all to feel confident in “being ugly”.

Honestly, I loved it there. There are flaws in every school but it was one of the best choices that I made. I loved that it felt like it's own little community but we had downtown Grand Rapids only 20 minutes away to get the city feel. They had a lot of on-campus housing choices, I only lived on-campus my freshman year (I wanted to save some money) and I loved it. I chose the apartment style (we had a small kitchenette in our room) and it was much bigger than I pictured. They really work hard to find someone you want to live with and moving rooms, while isn't encouraged, is not super difficult to do. The food on campus was not great but as the years went by they started to add more chain restaurants (that take your meal plan) which made it better. The class sizes and the availability of professors was what I liked most. I enjoyed that most of my classes were not over 25. If I had a lecture it was usually combined with a smaller discussion course to really get that one on one time with the professor and other students. They have a lot of options and are willing to help with almost anything you can think of. Many of my professors just want to help in anyway they can. They want you to succeed so often they would want us to just come talk to them if we ever had any problems whether it was homework or emotional. The connections I was able to make will last me a lifetime. While we aren't a division one school I love how passionate our players are and I personally loved our game day atmosphere. The amount of extracurricular organizations that we have as well is large and they open up a lot of opportunities.

haley

I love it. I was dead set on Wayne State before I toured this campus, and after I did, there was absolutely no other option for me. The campus is wonderful, they offer so many classes for whatever you’re interested in, and there are so many sources for support, counseling, and other help. I met my best friend here. It’s an all around wonderful school.

Brookelyn

Grand Valley is the ideal university. It is not too big and not too small. For a D2 school, our sports are still highly competitive and entertaining to watch. Our teams are the kind you can be proud to support. Students are also proud to support the welcoming nature of our school. We provide specialized services and opportunities to a diverse range of students on campus. Grand Valley Lakers are not afraid to let their voices be heard about what matters to them. This school is always striving to improve, be it adding new majors or expanding its array of sustainability initiatives. It is located near downtown Grand Rapids which offers an excellent variety of activities for your off-campus leisure. Grand Valley State University does it all. Anchor up, Lakers!

Gabrielle

I am so excited to attend such a beautiful school. The atmosphere is very calming and i felt extremely welcomed to make my transition into my freshman year of college. The class sizes are very similar to high school and I cannot wait to be of attendance.

Nichole

My overall opinion is that Grand Valley is a great school. I have learned so much from this University as well as making many new friends. Lots of people say that the food isn't always the greatest, but in reality I think it is only because we eat the same food everyday and just get sick of the same things. Therefore, me and my friends would go out to eat somewhere near by every now and then, so we can get a taste of something 'new'.

anna

it is an amazing up and coming school. I have lived so close to grand valley for a long time and never thought of it as a college that I wanted to go to until I actually went and toured. They have amazing opportunities for their study abroad program and off campus housing.

Mercedes

I love being at Grand Valley State University. I feel safe on campus at all times, and when I am out and about in the surrounding areas. There are plenty of sports to join, as well as club sports, club activities, and more. There are many job opportunities for students on and off campus, which I believe is very important. Both on and off campus housing is modern and comfortable, however, it can be quite pricey. Campus food is by no means bad, but there could be improvments. I personally would enjoy healtier options. The professors and other faculty are easy to get a ahold of when help is needed, and for the most part, they are helpful and friendly. They also seem very knowledgable about the subjects they teach, so I feel confident entrusting them to educate me.

Jonathan

I somewhat enjoy this university. I personally wish that there were reoccurring here but unfortunately not. I also wish that the some of the faculty were nicer. One of the better sides of Grand Valley are the buildings and sports team. We are usually the champions of Division II sports and the buildings area always being renovated. Grand Valley is a great university to go to.

Carly

Grand Valley is truly a beautiful campus. We probably have some of the best on campus housing choices at a Michigan College. And off campus choices are plentiful too. Courses can be hard but most professors are willing to go out of their way to see you succeed. Definitely need better on campus food choices but other than that I think its a great place to go to school. Spring and fall are beautiful, but winters can be cold and snowy with lake effect snow making the campus quite cold.

Kaylee

I am a campus visitor who is planning on attending this school. Grand Valley is an excellent school for anyone and has great resources for many. The campus is great and very update. The staff is extremely friendly which makes the experience even better. Grand Valley, in my opinion, is one of the best schools in Michigan.

Jenelle

GVSU is a great university that help me figure out the kind of person that I wanted to be as well as my overall passion. The president of the university was extremely active and easily approachable. I had at least three conversations with him at random times. There isn't a single moment where I regret my decision on attending GVSU. As we it was said, I am a Laker for a LIFETIME!

Nyarup

Grand valley state university is a very good school with knowledgeable professors and variety of resources. But expensive for students like me who can hardly get any scholarship or family's support. Hopefully school can also look out for low income students, maybe that could better their performance, considering the fact that, they don't have to worry about tuition fees when help. Generally speaking, Grand valley produced well equipped professionalists for the community.

Carly

I really enjoyed the Undergrad Social Work program. The faulty were so knowledgeable and always willing to go the extra mile to help us succeed. I found a really great community of other students while in the program as well. I was able to make lots of like minded friends who are passionate about the things I am passionate about and it has been fantastic for fostering insightful and thought provoking conversations and learning experiences.

Catrina

I believe Grand Valley is a wonderful school for someone who is looking for opportunities, but also does not want to be drowned in a huge school. Campus is beautiful and very kind to new people trying to get around. There are various food options and all living centers are filled with people wanting to meet new friends.

Mitch

Grand Valley State University was my first choice out of High School and my first application for admittance. After touring multiple Universities, Grand Valley is still my first choice. The benefits offered by GVSU have not been found elsewhere and I am thrilled to have been accepted for Fall 2020. To be completely honest, after being accepted into Purdue University, I thought GVSU would not compare. I am more than thrilled to say that Grand Valley State University offered me as much academically in my chosen field and met my personal ambitions far greater than PU. Grand Valley should be proud of the University it has become and I eagerly await becoming a Laker.

I am looking forward to going to this school in the fall. It appears to have a great balance of academics, campus life, activities and sports. There are over 400 different campus groups to join so there will be something for everyone to do. The dorm rooms seem very livable and the dorms appear very safe.

Brandon

The campus is very nice and well kept. Its not super big but still has a fun college vibe. Everyone is super helpful on campus and you can tell everyone enjoys being there. You can also tell the school itself cares about its image, the campus is clean and there is a lot of modern buildings and artwork throughout. Overall Grand Valley State University is a very nice school.

Bailey

Grand Valley State University is a wonderful place to learn and grow as a person. The administration, faculty, and staff genuinely care about their students and will go to bat for them. Housing is clean and well maintained, and the campus feels cozy and safe. It’s proximity to Downtown Grand Rapids is valuable and provides access to internships, culture and entertainment, while also maintaining a secluded and rural campus. The Allendale campus, while out of the hustle of the city, is near an assortment of stores and restaurants that students frequent. A car is not required, as the Rapid bus system is extensive, convenient, and free. Campus dining offers a variety of food options that include chain restaurants (Qdoba, Panda Express, etc.) as well. Classes are intellectually challenging and are designed to prompt the student to challenge themselves academically and introspectively. Professors are dedicated to their work and make themselves available to help their students. Most will extend their help beyond the classroom, making time for personal check-ins, tutoring and out of class learning opportunities. Overall, Grand Valley State University is one of the best universities in Michigan, and provides an enriched academic experience in addition to a comfortable and nurturing on-campus atmosphere.

morgan

Grand Valley is a very good and accepting school. Everyone is welcoming and wants you to feel like you're at home. People all over campus will help if you need help and is always there for you and watching your back. Teachers are always ready to answer your questions and will help you with your class however they can.

Victoria

Let's just say, Laker for a Lifetime! I am going back for my Master's and feel very confident that I will be supported by staff and faculty. I began my college experience with wanting to go to Michigan State University. However, Grand Valley was closer and many of my friends from high school were already in there first year and were moderately successful. I felt more confident that I could succeed there after learning of the smaller class sizes and the opportunity for student research.

Kristin

Going to Grand Valley State was truly one of the best decisions I have made. It is a big school and you get that feeling on the weekends but also it feels individualized towards each student. All of the staff that I have encountered values your time and will play an important role in helping you succeed and grow in your future if you let them. There is truly something for everyone to get involved in, Grand Valley really makes you feel comfortable and at home.

Melissa

The dream I always had of what life would be like in college, Grand Valley State University fulfilled. The entire time I was there, I never had a single terrible professor. The staff was amazing, the food choices on campus were pretty decent, and the campus in general was just GORGEOUS. I can still smell the fresh air around that campus now. Grand Valley is small, but mighty, and I highly recommend it.

Grand Valley State University has been very fun and inviting for me. As for student life, there are various clubs I have to choose from (over 360 clubs available. The campus is academic-oriented, with study areas available within each and every building. Teachers set aside time to talk with students about issues with assignments as well as coursework, or merely general questions. I believe this is a great school to attend both academically and socially.

Ally

I love it so much. I’m so excited to attend next fall, the campus is beautiful and I definitely would recommend it to other seniors or people that are interested in going to college. I have friends that are there right now and can’t tell me anything bad about the campus and they love it so much!

Caleigh

Grand Valley is a very modern and rapidly growing university. The campus is split into two main locations in Allendale and several buildings throughout Grand Rapids. This expands the overall culture of the school and allows for many opportunities outside of school being so close to the city. Everyone is very friendly and it is a known characteristic that students from Grand Valley always hold the doors open for each other. The campus is very safe with campus PD everywhere and easily accessible to walk you home if you do not feel safe for whatever reason. There are also regular crossing guards every day to make sure everyone gets to and from class safely. The athletics for a D2 school are very important to the university and most teams are very well ranked as well. Class sizes are small enough for the professors to know you by name and for you to get to know your classmates as well. The campus is very modern with new buildings being added almost every semester. Overall, I love Grand Valley and would not have traded my college experience here so far for any other.