Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Alyssa

HONORS COLLEGE! I love honors, it really helped me out with becoming a more well-student here at Hofstra.

Commuter students, and lots of them...also the "Hofstra girl" miniskirt, uggs, straight hair, fake tan, chatty, rich

Sharon

I wish Hofstra was in a college town. The city it is in, Hempstead, is not the best neighborhood to hang out in, and there isn't much within walking distance. Unless I can find someone to give me a ride somewhere, I'm pretty much stuck on campus. However, I think that being close to the city is better though.

I've found that most students here lean more to the left of the political spectrum. Since I am also a Democrat, I don't feel out numbered, but I think it might be interesting to have conflicting ideas with someone once in a while to liven up conversation. This seems to be more of an issue lately because of the upcoming presidential debates next year.

My favorite part about Hofstra is Honors College. This may sound nerdy, but it really isn't. I've met some of the greatest friends through this program, especially since I am in Honors housing. Also, as an added bonus, there is always free stuff provided by Honors College, so I will never go hungry.

This is completely untrue. I have no idea where this rumor came from, but more than one person told it to me when I first came here. I guess they weren't paying attention in history class because New York was part of the North, and Hofstra was founded in the 1930s, not the 1800s.

I wish we were able to leave our dorm room doors open so we can air out the room and can say hi to people as they pass by in the hall, but the fire code doesn't allow it. But most of the time we leave our doors unlocked so people just drop by anyways. Now that I think about it, it might not be so safe to leave them unlocked all the time, but so far none of my stuff has been stolen.

My favorite class is scuba class. Most people don't know that we have this class, but I think it's awesome that you can get credit for hanging out at the bottom of a pool for an hour. We do have tests, but they are a lot easier than regular academic classes.

Hofstra used to be a plantation that owned slaves and Hofstra Hall was the original plantation house.

Tammy

Hofstra is a nicely sized private school on Long Island. Its not huge and its not tiny. Its rare to find someone who knows EVERYONE, but its not impossible to know a large percent of the school population. It all depends on how much you're willing to get out there and meet people. The landscaping is gorgeous here, since it is a national arboretum. There are big grassy quads where (when its nice out) you'll find big groups of kids sitting on studying, reading, listening to music, playing games, or just hanging out between classes/avoiding homework! Its like a picture straight out of a college brochure. Hofstra doesnt have the greatest reputation (because of the stereotypes) but its becoming a better school everyday. The one big flaw is that it lacks a college-town. Since it is located in Hempstead, students dont have the opportunity to walk "up-town" and catch a movie, or grab dinner, or do some shopping. Campus is very safe (its a closed campus after 10:30pm) but walking around Hempstead at night isn't the best choice. Although there isn't a college-town, we have NYC! It's only a 30-40 minute train ride away, so that opens the door for sooo many opportunities! Its a fun place to spend the weekend, and allows for many internship opportunities.

The students on campus are very open minded. The students here are very diverse and no one finds it odd. There are groups, but its not based on race or religion. Students tend to hang out more with people who have similar majors or are in similar clubs, but they aren't objective to seeing other people. A lot of the students here are from Long Island or New York in general but then there are also people from places like Ohio (me for example) and California and Oregon and Colorado, Hofstra students come from all over the place. The students here all have their own passion; some are very active in the arts, some are very active in politics, and some are just passionate about their major. There really is a place for everyone on campus.

Honors College is the only thing I havent really mentioned. Being in Honors College has been very beneficial to me. It helped me with meeting other students because it gave me a smaller cross section of the entire campus population. Also being in honors dorming has been great! Everyone is really close knit, and its a great community. Its always a pleasure to walk through the lounge and run into 10 people who give you hugs and ask how your day was. Honors College is also always planning great programs and trips. I have been able to attend so many different shows (like the color purple, the christmas spectacular at Radio Hall, and etc etc etc) for free through Honors College. They also have programs like different chocolate tastings and spelling bees! They always plan these fun events that get the student body (of honors college) to get together and get to know each other. Its also convenient to have Honors College to go to whenever i have a problem or need a question answered. You know the people there (secretary, dean, associate dean, etc etc). Honors College really made the transition into college easier.

Absolutely not, if the entire school population was like this I would have transferred out a long time ago. Every school that you go to, you'll find someone who fits the above category (just maybe not specifically from Long Island). Hofstra has their fair share of the frat boys/sorority girls who care more about parties than school, but thats a very small percent. Most of the students here are indeed here to learn.

The classes here are nicely sized, around 20 students a class. The teachers are all also very fantastic. They are very helpful in and outside of class. They always keep to their open hours and have your best interest at heart. Classes aren't an easy breeze, but teachers do everything they can to help you. Being a chemistry major, im in the chemistry/physics building a lot and i've really gotten to know the teachers well. They're a lot of fun to talk to outside of class. There are also some teachers, that i've encountered, that just intimidate the heck out of me because they are simply brilliant. Students here are competitive, but not to a dangerous degree. They would never try to make you do worse in order to do better. Everyone here is always helping others with what they dont understand.

Hofstra's entire school population consists of rich long island girls who are dressed head to toe in designer labels and long island guys (dudes) that have overly gel-ed hair and spend 90% of their time at the bar or at the gym. All of these girls and boys love Greek life and put party-ing before studies.

Most students here are interest in Greek life, but just because you're not in it doesnt mean you sit at home on the weekends doing homework alone. There is always something to do on campus. Events are always being planned, like movies or speakers. We just had a writer from the Simpsons here. Stephanie Tanner was here last year. There have been A LOT of political speakers here since Hofstra is hosting the 3rd and last presidential debate. A lof of these political speakers are legit people who have book and are on c-span. Again there's always the option of going to the city. And with NYC the options of what to do are endless. I mean i could go catch a broadway show whenever i wanted to. Parties, like every campus, aren't exactly scarce. Parties arent the only thing to do, but they're an option.

Christine

What I love about Hofstra is the great opportunities for my major (Video/Television). Being so close to NYC, there are great internship opportunities, and I got to start with hands-on work in freshman year, which not many schools offer. I like the size of Hofstra: it's big enough to avoid people you don't like but no so big that you get lost all the time. I spend most of my time out and about on campus; I love to be outside when the weather is warm: the campus is gorgeous! One of the things that's a turn-off about Hofstra is the lack of support for sports. I love college sports, but most kids on campus could care less.

There are about a billion socio-cultural groups and clubs on campus. You're definitely going to find a niche where you fit in. Although these certain clubs do exist, don't be surprised if certain prejudices occur, because I've seen it happen. Most students here are either politically left of center, or don't care about politics at all. Hofstra is similar to a high school, where you'll find different groups of people where you can fit in, but there's little interaction between the groups.

I'm in Honors College, and it's pretty challenging.

My normal class sizes aren't any bigger than about 25 people, so you get the attention you need while being able to blend into the background on a bad day. There are alot of political conversations on campus, although most students don't seem very educated about the debates they get into. I've never spent time with a professor outside of class, but it wouldn't be out of the question. My most unique class has been my most recent major class, where I was able to direct my own productions after only a few weeks, and as a freshman, you're unlikely to find that possibility in other schools.

Greek life is really popular on campus. Some of the most popular events are associated with the Greeks, and they are who usually throw the best parties. There isn't much to do off-campus if you don't have a car, except for going into New York City. Luckily, a shuttle leaves for the train station every hour, so that's a nice perk. It's best to meet people at Hofstra through clubs and organizations, that way you'll find people you have something in common with that you'll see often enough before you build a friendship.

There are tons of typical "Long Island girls" on campus, and everyone smokes pot and hangs out at the bars.

John

I would change the architecture of the residence halls. The singles of the towers are too isolating. One experience I will always remember is throwing the Frisbee in the Liberty Republic courtyard. I spend most of my time hanging out with my friends and getting my work done.

I find the body to be very diverse. Almost 50% of the study body is from out of state. Also i feel that there is greater diversity on this campus than there are on other campuses. I work with several members of the LGBT community, they're really cool doods.

Completely. Almost every student I've met have lead up to those standards.

Hofstra Students are always very handsome and strong. Sometimes there courage and spirit can lead to a revolution that everyone wanted anyways.

I feel that there are many clubs on campus to get involved with. Last weekend, I went to the city to play ultimate Frisbee. The club is really good, but they don't make a great team.

I really enjoy my class. My teacher is very involved and once you engage her in class, she returns the favor. Also, I find some of the students in my class complementarity to my education. I wish the class had more papers due.

Lindsey

The frequent student complaints circle around the fact that we can only use our mealpoints on campus. Additionally, the campus food (Lackmann) overcharges.

I do not particularly enjoy a majority of the students. Many, many are self-involved. I find it especially disheartening that students do not partake in the opportunities that Hofstra provides via guest speakers (in a wide variety of topics). A majority of the audience is always 65 plus.

People party fairly often - most every night. Parties go on on campus, but mostly in houses. The strip of bars across the street are also open almost every night.

The political science department is excellent. I have kept good relations outside and beyond the semester with most of my professors (also in other departments). Most of the professors I have had in all departments are, in my opinion, extremely knowledgeable in their area of expertise. No academic complaints.

The girls are snobby, "long island" girls and the guys are just as bad. People in NY aren't nice.

Lorie

Hofstra is a great place. The landscape and set up of campus is really nice and the people are really friendly. The university lacks a college-town but NYC is very close by. The nearness of NYC opens many opportunities that many other college students dont have. If i please I can go and have a picnic in Central Park on the weekend or go see a Broadway show after class one day. The administration gets to be a bit annoying at times, but what school doesnt have annoying administration? Students of Hofstra are really glad to be here.

The students here are all very different; there is an abundance of diversity. There is always somewhere for someone to fit in. Everyone here is also very open to others opinions and ways of life.

Being a member of Honors College has really helped in making the transition into college. It gave me a good cross section of the school population that i could get to know before tackling the entire campus. They have great mentors that are always around to help and they are ALWAYS planning awesome and free trips for different broadway shows and baseball games and etc.

Not at all; yes there are some people who fit this description but it is only a stereotype, its not applicable to all.

Some stereotypes about Hofstra is that it is a over-priced university full of rich long island kids, who live off their parents money. Kids only care about getting drunk and partying.

Like any other campus there is not a lack of parties to attend. There are also lots of other things to do besides "get drunk". As mentioned before the closeness of NYC provides an endless list of things to do. Hofstra also gets lots of great and interesting speakers who come to campus. Or they plan programs that are great too.

The classes here are great sizes, its small enough that you get to know your professor and obtain personal help if you need it. They are genuinely interested in you doing well in the class. Office hours are always posted and kept. Professors (especially mentors at Honors College) always plan field trips and events outside of class that are fun and educational at the same time.

Brianna

The one thing that I absolutely love about the Hof is the campus grounds. This is the time of year when the weather is getting nicer and everything is in bloom. It really is a beautiful campus. When people hear the word "Hofstra" come out of my mouth, they say one of two things: "Good school" or "Expensive". Hofstra costs an arm and a leg and they take money from you wherever they can... administration is a pain and they always seem to screw you over. Like I said before, the campus is pretty...

Uggs and stretchy pants. Gag me. I notice that the most, simply because you tend to notice the things you hate over the things you have no opinion over. I live in a Chem bubble, so I rarely eat in the student center enough to know the 4 tables or the political views. I don't like politics so I really don't care. People here are generally nice, but spoiled.

Stop stealing my money, and if you're going to take it, be more willing to give some out. HUHC

Chemistry. The chem dept is very exclusive, and once you declare, they are very helpful and protective over you. It's a small department, and only a few kids graduate from it every year. The professors will help you wherever they can, they know your name, your personality, they joke with you and will go out of their way for you if you need them. The kids in the department, with the exception of a few, generally think about helping each other through the tough classes rather than getting better grades than the next person. We all look out for eachother, whether we're friends or just classmates.

2am on a Tuesday- Labs. Where do you meet most of your friends? In the classes for your major. Frats and sororities are everywhere and I can't seem to escape them... thank goodness Greek week is over. People party all the time, but that's true of any college campus. There's plenty of things to do on a Saturday aside from hitting up Dizzy's (ew) or Nachos or Chrebets. Movie nights, bowling, usually there's some sort of event or movie showing on campus. Hanging out in the dorms with your floor is always an option, too.

Well there's the whole Hofstra Red thing that I've been asked about by people who go to other colleges. The major stereotype is that Hofstra is full of prissy Long Island kids who Mommy and Daddy have sent to school in their shiny new cars.

Matthew

The best thing about Hofstra are the students. They are really nice. One thing I'd change is the food prices. The school is just the right size. People ask me if I dorm there since I live so close. I spend most of my time within the Liberty/Republic area since there is always someone to hang around with and something to do. There is a lot of pride, it is in our team names. People say Hofstra looks like an amusement park.

I hear name calling a lot on campus.

I love honors college. We are so close to the people in our classes, the rooms in Liberty and Republic Halls are large, and best of all we get air conditioning!

Not at all. There is always something to do. If you can't find something to do you have to be walking around with you're eyes closed.

Hofstra Red. Everyone is Rich. There is nothing to do.

I have cool professors. My favority class is Information Technology because the prof. is funny. My least favorite class is speech communications. Students are not generally competitive but I'm not in the law school.

The most popular sports group is intermural softball. I met my closest friends through Honors College.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.