Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Matthew

The best thing about Hofstra are the students. They are really nice. One thing I'd change is the food prices. The school is just the right size. People ask me if I dorm there since I live so close. I spend most of my time within the Liberty/Republic area since there is always someone to hang around with and something to do. There is a lot of pride, it is in our team names. People say Hofstra looks like an amusement park.

I hear name calling a lot on campus.

I love honors college. We are so close to the people in our classes, the rooms in Liberty and Republic Halls are large, and best of all we get air conditioning!

Not at all. There is always something to do. If you can't find something to do you have to be walking around with you're eyes closed.

Hofstra Red. Everyone is Rich. There is nothing to do.

I have cool professors. My favority class is Information Technology because the prof. is funny. My least favorite class is speech communications. Students are not generally competitive but I'm not in the law school.

The most popular sports group is intermural softball. I met my closest friends through Honors College.

The best thing about Hofstra is the community. Everyone is so nice, helpful and involved. Everyone really cares. Hofstra is the perfect size. There aren't so many people that you get lost in the crowd, but also there is enough so that it's not like you know everyone. There's always things going on and always free food.

Everyone loves each other. Seriously. We're a big happy 8,000 undergraduate student family.

Honors College was the best thing I ever did even though I had to take Culture and Expressions!

The "Hofstra Red." All of the women are stuck up and snobby. Everyone is rich. There's nothing to do.

It is so easy to get involved in anything you want to get involved in. There's a club for everything and they are clearly always trying to expand so they're accepting of everyone. The social life is vibrant. Everyone is friends with everyone basically.

Every professor knows my name. They are all always at their office during their posted office hours, which every professor is required to have. They are always willing to help and always go the extra mile. There isn't so much work so that it takes up all of your time but it's enough so that you are fully knowledgeable in the subject area. You truly get out of it what you put in, plus more.

Bevan

The people I met are amazing. There should be more diversity on campus. I spend most of my time in the lounge.

Gays are awesome! Socially awkward people would feel out of place

I LOVE HONORS COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very close with my professors. They are very smart. I have had many intellectual conversations outside of class, but I wish I had more.

Masquerade is the most popular group on campus. People don't leave their doors open,mainly because it is illegal.

Hofstra Red, and living in a long island bubble.

Mary

One of the things i would change is the advisement team. Alot of them give advice that completely conflicts with others and, especially when scheduling or working out student loans you have to figure it out for yourself.

Alot of Hofstra Students come from Long Island, but also alot of my friends are from New England, California, and New Jersey

Honor's college is an amazing opportunity which i wish everyone could have

For the most part no, for those who participate they occupy alot of time, but for those who don't it is not a huge influence on daily life. Except for the occasional raffle or jacket seen, we don't really notice

The professors here are really easy to get ahold of and are really easy to talk to about questions or if you are having trouble.

There are so many opportunities and places nearby that students can go to and participate in. A bunch of people i know were able to participate in the Vagina Monolouges which was a real hit

That the sororities and fraternities are a huge part of campus life

The best thing about hofstra is the atmosphere. Its a good sized school but you run into everyone you know, the staff is friendly and helpful.

The students here at hofstra all dress similarly but with their own sense. Not everyone is dressed in preppy clothing, and there are always those who stick out with bright orange pants, or big hair or tie dye. Everyone adds to the character.

Honor's college is my favorite part about hofstra. The professors are great and it gives you an opportunity to interact with students as serious about learning as you are.

Sometimes, but people are often judged alot on what cars they have, which can show how much money there parents have but not necessarily that their money is the only reason they are here

My favorite class would be C&E, because we get to read classic literature and relate the ideas to some of the common debates of today.

The social opportunities here are great. There are always events on or off campus that we are given opportunities to attend. The clubs, especially hall council, let you program your own idea of a fun event.

linda

the size is great and everyone here is really involved with issues of the world

the size is great and everyone here is really involved with issues of the world

everyone here is different, there is no chance that someone can come here and not fit in somewhere

in addition to the great programs on campus, honors college also has great programs off campus. they are always planning city trips with broadway shows and baseball games. its a great way to get closer to the honors college community

there are a million things to do on and off campus

if u get to know your profs they get to know you too, they're really helpful and really want to see you do well

Anna

Hofstra University is the best of both worlds. It's a big enough school not to feel cramped or limited in and which in turn offers many majors while being small enough but more importantly focused enough to give each student the attention he/she needs to thrive intellectually.

Honor's College is awesome and I've made really great friends here.

No, not from my experiences here at Hofstra.

The Hofstra Red, people assume that Hofstra is a big party school with lots of sex and lots of STDs. I feel people look down on Hofstra students because of it and we definitely need to make fixing the Hofstra reputation a priority.

Ryan

My opinion of the Hofstra Administration is that they do not consider what the students want and need. Hofstra is run like a business rather than a university. Rather then implementing things that we students want and need, they do not ask us or create things that typical college students should be surrounded with.

A majority of the student population is from Long Island, and most of those students fit the stereotype mentioned above. I myself, being from out of state, have found that I am not really very good friends with anyone from Long Island, and I think it is because they are in their own world. Because I come from a different place they do not know how to relate to someone who works for them self and has to survive without Daddy's wallet all the time like I do. My closets friends are all from out of state, and that could be because we have something in common or because we are just from a different breed from those students who come from the Island

The catering service here is not all that great either. I wish Hofstra would make their own food, rather then hire a catering service. It hikes up the prices and the staff of the catering service are not always the nicest people.

Most of these stereotypes are very accurate.

That everyone from Long Island is lazy and dumb and are stuck in the world of Long Island and have never left.

Most of my professor are terrific. I have only had one or two encounters where I have run into some disagreements with professors. Normally they know my name and they get to know the students. They are very understanding and wise about college life. Most of them are very helpful with helping outside of class and they are understanding when it comes to knowing that college students have lives outside of the classroom.

Some of the most popular groups on campus are the Fraternities and Sororities. And they generally speaking fit the mold of typical college fraternities with socials and annuals and drinking and hazing. I am not apart of that, its now who I am and not who I plan on becoming. I have yet to find someone to date. A lot of the girls here on campus are not what I'm looking for in a relationship. I need someone who is responsible and independent and does not need material things to survive.

Ash

Most people at home don't know anything about Hofstra, let alone that it exists. Those that do think it is a very prestigious East coast school and that it is located in Manhattan. On Long Island and around New York, it seems like Hofstra has a pretty good reputation for a liberal arts school.

I love that Hofstra is near New York City and that many classes have options that let you study in the city, like seeing the philharmonic for a music class. I do wish that it was in a college town, though. I think the size is almost the right size, maybe it would be better if it was a bit bigger.

Most of the students at Hofstra are from the New York area or New England, but a surprising amount are from further away. I've met more people from California than I would have expected, and there are also quite a few international students.

One thing they don't advertise about Honors College is that they have many extra-curricular activities around the area that are all paid for. Multiple times during the year there's opportunities to see Broadway shows for free and other shows and museums around the city.

For some it is true, but for those that want to have more substance in their lives, Hofstra can be as academic as they want it to be, just like any other college.

My favorite class this semester is Intro to Electronic Music because the professor personally knows many of the composers and inventors we discuss since he helped invent the synthesizer. It's really cool to learn about a topic from someone that invested his life into it and really knows what he is talking about.

Hofstra has a stereotype that it is a big party school with little focus on academics.

One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is to go to Manhattan and explore the city. Most people don't go to the City as much as I do, but I love the fact that Hofstra is so close to the city. Student rush tickets are also a huge plus.

Yes and no, just like the real world, some people live up to the stereotypes but most do not

Typical Long Island kids with their parent's money

Rory

i love the tulips in the spring. campus is gorgeous. hofstra's working to appease students by "going green" and working to better the dining facilities (although they are alright, as is)

there are lots of diverse groups on campus. i have friends in many groups- LGBT, christian groups, dance teams, drama programs, etc. it's a nice mix of students

honors college has been great to me. they are a great party of hofstra to be affiliated with.

classes vary. some are great, some are lousy, just like at any other school. i find honors classes most stimulating because of the attiudes and work ethics of the students taking them.

snooty long island kids, guidos

there are a lot of guest speakers now, especially political ones in lieu of Educate 08, the program increasing political awareness before the final presidential debate is held here in october. athletic events are not terribly popular. i think basketball is the biggest sport, followed by football and men's lacrosse.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.