Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Katy

There are three really awesome things about Hofstra that tie for "the best thing about Hofstra". One- the Honors College is great. The events they put on, the program itself, and the staff that work in the department are all fantastic. Two- the Music Department is amazing. The faculty are brilliant and humorous, and love what they teach, and the students in the department are hard working and kind. Three- the campus is absolutely beautiful, especially in the spring. I really like the size of the school, but that's because I'm in a relatively small Department. The balance is great: the school is pretty big so it has a lot of options for events and dining and meeting new people, but the Music Department is small enough to know everyone and make close friends. I spend most of my time on campus. And most of my on campus time is spend in the music building... practicing, rehearsing, etc. There are two things that I would change about Hofstra. One- the financial system kind of stinks. I've had a problem every single semester with financial aid and/or student accounts where incorrect amounts have been put on my account, or my aid changes and I'm not notified, or fees appear for no good reason... in general, things here cost A TON, and Hofstra tends to take money from you any opportunity they get. Two- the dorming situation. Freshmen are given the best options and then are kicked out of their living space after their first year. The options for upperclassmen are limited.

Most Hofstra students are from the tri-state area. But a bunch hail from California as well... a lot of students come to Hofstra who want to experience the east coast. Many students are politically and socially active. There are a number of student run organizations that speak to current issues such as WOA (Women of Action), Hofstra Democrats, GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance), etc. We are a semi-diverse campus, but it is primarily white, Jewish or Catholic people.

I think, as with many stereotypes, that some of the students behave in the ways listed above, and that some do not.

Because I'm a music major, my situation is a little different than other majors in larger departments. I most definitely know all of my professors names, and they all know mine. My classes are generally very small, and I have each of my professors for at least two or three semesters. Also, the students are usually the same in each of my classes. There is always student participation, and students are always having intelligent conversations about music outside of class. This was not so in the general education courses I took, but I can't really speak for other majors.

Again, social life is different for a music major than for a lot of other majors. Drama/dance majors have a similar schedule to music majors. We are always practicing or rehearsing or composing or going to music dep't concerts to support our friends and classmates. However, from what I've seen, the more popular social scene involves Greek life, parties, and sports (particularly basketball).

That the "Hofstra girls" wear uggs and miniskirts, and in general dress inappropriately. That the students are rich and their parents buy their expensive cars and pay for their education. That Hofstra has two types of people- those who party all the time and do nothing else, and those who study all the time and do nothing else

Laura

its just the right size, honors college makes it feel small enough. you can get close to your teachers if you want to.

we have too many slutty sorority girls, but a good mix of everyone else

honors college makes everything that isnt perfect about this school, so much better.

class participation varies from class to class. i really like the poli sci classes offered

That everyone is rich, from long island, and have stds

caberet is good. you can stay busy at all hours if you want- but there are plenty of kids only up at 2am if they have a paper

MiRaNDa

A school that seems smaller than the actual numbers. I swear I know everyone on this campus already, but it's suitable for most people I suppose. The campus is beautiful, it's a national arboredum, classes are great, and professors are definitely varied. The campus is small, and there is not much to do in the surrounding area, except maybe go and drink. Administration is cool, but public safety can be a bitch when they are trying to meet the quota at the end of the month.

Long Island is the most segregated place in the whole United States, so you bet your ass it's racially charged. All of the stupid, white Long Island boys stick together and won't break their comfort zone...good luck for the future generation.

Hofstra University Honors College

Ding Ding Ding...although, there are definitely diverse groups that have ntohing to do with these people.

Classes are the perfect size, which allows you to get to know everyone in your class and your professor. Honors college has awesome classes for first year students, including a supportive faculty to guide you through. As some kids are stupid air heads, and in my opinion got into this school for their millions and not their neurons, becoming the teachers favorite just takes charm, spark notes, and a little bit of clever wit.

Hofstra girls are said to be ditzy, spoiled, materialistic, rude, and in most cases, Jewish. While the boys that court these so called JAP's (Jewish American Princesses), are often recognized to be tan and well-manicured themselves, their snappy, nose-to-the-sky attitudes don't prove them to be any more refined then their appearances portray them to be.

There are tons of great activities, you just have to check Facebook o find out about them, or pick up a flyer around campus.

Ben

Hofstra is a nice school. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding area has plenty to do, but it is not exactly a college town. I'm not sure it would be entirely safe to go wandering in Hempstead, but I think it gets exaggerated by students. I really like the size of the school, it's pretty large, but not "state school" big.

I don't think any student would feel particularly out of place here. It's a pretty inviting place, for the most part. Hofstra is a hotbed of political activity, what with the debate coming here soon.

Sometimes. Not all of us, though. Me included.

Classes seem to be pretty good. I'm in the honors college program and there is a required course that you have to take for your first two semesters. It's painful, but it knocks a whole lot of credits out of the way, and you do not have to take a lit course. I don't really spend time with teachers outside of class, but there are always opportunities to, so I suppose that's good. I'm not crazy about Hofstra's requirements, but that's probably because I don't have a major yet.

I dunno. Maybe rich kids, seeing as it is kind of an expensive school?

Frat life is fairly big here, but there are no frat houses on campus (awesome!). People party fairly regularly on the weekends, and sometimes during the week, but not too much. Dizzys seems to be a pretty popular place on Wednesdays. Haven't been, myself.

Naomi

The location and size are a great thing about Hofstra. It's close to the city but the campus is still very green and pretty spacious. The student body is large enough that you don't still feel like you're in high school, but small enough that you see people on your way to class. There's definitely not a college town feeling here, which kind of sucks, but i feel like it's the price you pay to be so near the city.

Since I'm in honors college, I feel like I get to see a greater diversity of students. People who, for example, are not all from Long Island. The student body is pretty active and open to what motivated students are doing.

Honors College is a really great part of campus!

While there are many people who fit that description, there definitely is a larger part of the student body that does not.

As a dance major, my classes are mostly with the same people all the time and the professors really get to know you. When you step outside that though and are in a distribution course, you can end up with the bottom of the barrel so to speak. I feel like professors in these classes are much harsher on students and determined to trip us up instead of teach (probably because few students actually have an interest in what they're teaching), Other than that though the classes have been amazing, and I've really enjoyed them

My dorm is really social and we have a great community here so there's always something going on. Also, the city is right here so it's easy to find something to do if you've got free time

Hofstra stereotypes are that the students are all rich, snobby, trashy guys and girls that just want to drink and party all the time with no consequences.

Steve

The best thing about Hofstra now is that it is in a state of growth. We recently added a medical school and renovations are in the works to improve the college experience for all students. The only thing I really complain about is the food, which although tasty is kind of expensive, and the dining services company that provides our food is very strict about clubs and organizations providing food at events. They also refuse to donate anything to large campus events. Overall, however, the administration and faculty are invested in the students and are here to help.

Our student body is fairly diverse. Racially, there are definitely more predominant groups, but I don't hear a lot about prejudices regarding race or sexuality. We have a variety of religious groups on campus and at least one LGBT group; there is a place for everyone. Economically, I don't think most kids can afford Hofstra without loans, but many do. Also, I don't know anyone who isn't receiving a scholarship of some kind to come here.

I'd like to use this space to talk about how great I think HU Honors College is. HUHC provides a class that brings together all of the freshmen for two semester and introduces them to a varity of texts in the humanities and the social sciences. It helps to create an important community among the honors students, which is amplified by the fact that many of us live together in the Liberty/ Republic residence complex.

Not really, most of the people I know come from a variety of religious and economic backgrounds and none of them have STDs

Most classes are small, so0 students get to know their teachers and individualized help is available. As a student body, we are generally academically motivated and I see a lot of competition in Honors College. The career center is constantly providing internship and job opportunities. The requirements to graduate and those for specific majors are sufficient but not overly difficult. As a psychology major, I can complete my degree with only ten classes, but the non-into level classes I expect to be challenging. Honors college has been a great experience academically. I've been exposed to a variety of material that I never would have been able to take on in other classes.

Hofstra is a great place to be, we have a really strong community here and its in a great location. The town of Hempstead is not particularly great but the surrounding towns are nice and there is plenty of shopping to be done close by. Its close to a train station so NYC is very accessible. There are some great yearly events like music festivals, formals, barbeque's, and charity events etc. There is always something to do on campus because we have so many clubs, most of which are actively contributing to our student life.

One stereotype is that Hofstra is for rich Jewish kids, another is that there are a lot of STDs on campus.

Alexis

The best thing about Hofstra is probably the campus - it's gorgeous. Also the drama department faculty are really great; very supportive. The school's a good size for me...I know everyone in my major, and some people outside of it. When I say I go to Hofstra most people don't know where that is. It's not that well-known, except in New York...or Long Island, I guess. Most of my time on campus is spent either in Lowe Hall, where most drama classes are, the Spiegel Theater, Memorial Quad, Adams Playhouse, or Bits and Bytes. I have no idea about most of Hofstra's administration...just that it's too expensive and a lot of the rules are pretty ridiculous. Also the Honors College is the most poorly run program on campus, as far as I'm concerned. Someone got stabbed on campus pretty recently...that's pretty controversial. I guess sports-wise we have pride...but not really academically at all. I guess they're trying to turn Hofstra into an Ivy League school. That's just never going to happen. Hofstra seems like a pretty normal school to me except for all the annoying Long Island girls. Frequent student complaints are about the food, Lackmann Dining...the cost of the school. The parking...general stuff.

Most Hofstra students are from the East Coast, and pretty sheltered. Not a lot of people know that much about other geographic areas. I've also noticed that the black and white populations of Hofstra don't interact all that much, which is weird. Most people seem to come from very wealthy backgrounds...making them not really care about their education that much, as it's just been handed to them.

There are a lot of people who fit the appearance stereotypes. And a lot of lazy and dumb people as well. So I guess yes.

Academics at Hofstra are a joke. Even the Honors College kids, who think they're the smartest kids ever, are actually quite stupid. HOWEVER. I can't say enough good things about the drama and dance faculty. They go above and beyond. They are AWESOME.

Basically people party four days a week, at least. It's a big party environment, since so many bars are within walking distance. Also a bunch of off-campus houses are right in the middle of the bar section as well. Really just everything has to do with drinking.

Ugg boots, guidos, fake tans, big glasses, stupid people, lazy, sorority girls with STDs.

Mike

Best thing about Hofstra is that the school represents the best of both worlds. We get the Suburban atmosphere of Long Island, but we're just a half hour away from NYC -- the biggest metropolis in the world, and the urbanity that comes with it.

This place is amazingly diverse. We have people from all different walks of life -- it's NYC, what else would you expect. And it adds to the educational experience. Without that, the school just wouldn't be the same.

WRHU & the Honors College are amazing. They make this school what it is for me personally. And I know plenty of other people here who have their own thing(s), that they are passionate about, like I am about WRHU & The Honors College. It's all a matter of putting into something what you want to get out. If you do, you're going to be successful, and have fun with it.

Some are a bunch of flashy, spoiled Long Island kids. But more than 50% of the undergrads are from outside NY State. Most of us are perfectly normal. Even the LI kids are normal. It's merely a stereotype.

Absolutely they know our names. The classes are small, so we get to actually interact with the professors. I've been here two years, and I've never taken that "typical college class" with 300 other kids, and you just fade in. It's not like that here. We are all able to truly get to know the professors, and actually learn, not just regurgitate information. Also, the Honors College is phenomenal. They do a great job of making sure that the Honors Curriculum is legitimate, and truly making it an Honors program. There are no cake-walks. But it's an Honors program--it shouldn't be.

That we're a bunch of flashy, spoiled Long Island kids.

WRHU. The place is incredible. We have more fun there than I've ever experienced. Every time an incoming student asks me what to get involved in -- even if they're not a communications major -- I say the radio station. It can help anyone, regardless of career path.

Annie

I really love my school. I know all the bad things about it, but there are bad things about every school and people are never satisfied. Sure it costs a lot, but most schools do. And yeah, the food sucks after a while, but it's much better than any other school I've been to. I wish there was more school pride, we definitely don't have enough, which is ironic, since we're the "Hofstra Pride." I love the people here and I think there's something for everyone. I do wish that a lot of activities weren't geared toward Greek life, but that's slowly changing for the better. The school is big enough so you don't feel claustrophobic, but small enough so that if you meet someone new, they'll probably already know someone you're good friends with.

I think that Hofstra is pretty cliquey, but only to the point where everyone belongs somewhere. I've met very few people who haven't found a place where, whether it's Greek life, drama, sports, Honors College, intramural sports, "Dempster Rats" (film/tv kids), etc. But they all interact, as well. I have friends in every one of those areas, but I do have my one niche. I don't see religion, race, or status as a big issue, but that is a personal thing. I'm a very open person, so I can't speak for everyone, though I've never observed any major problems. I think money was a bigger thing my freshman year because it seemed like everyone had a BMW when I first got here, but I don't feel that way anymore. It's different coming from Boston to Long Island, but I like change.

I would say that the stereotypes about the students aren't accurate at all. Guidos and typical Long Island girls make up a very small percentage of people on campus and most of them are commuters anyway, so they're seen much less. I think that Hofstra has a very diverse campus of students. The Hofstra run-around is probably true for some. I've never experienced it for myself, but others close to me have.

I love my major and I would recommend Creative Writing to anyone interested. In my four years, I've never had a professor who does not know my name, both in and out of my major/minor. I speak with a lot of my Creative Writing professors outside of class. The best class I ever took was an Honors Seminar. It was called "Debating Darwin" and it really made me look at my religion and my beliefs, which is something I'm glad I did. I talked with my professor several times about how I was feeling and he was so open to everything I had to say and I came out of that class with stronger beliefs. In regards to Honors College, I'm really glad I decided to join because it allows you to take classes not offered otherwise. Though Hofstra does offer a huge array of classes - anything from the History of Baseball to Yoga to AVF to PR.

Greek life is huge if you're in Greek life. If you're not, it's not. Same with athletes. Hofstra is known for its bars across the street, which are attended by many and if you've been here for a year and never been, that's pretty shocking. Honors College has a lot of perks to it; they're always sending kids to free shows/sports events/etc. And there are free movies in the Student Center every weekend, which is great. We have a lot of events going on here, it's just a matter of taking advantage. Drinking is big, but it doesn't have to be. There are definitely those groups that never do it and groups that don't do it all the time. The city is so close and while it's expensive, it's a great asset to have close by.

There is a very large stereotype that Hofstra is full of guidos and typical rich, snobby Long Island girls. There is also something Hofstra students like to call the Hofstra run-around, meaning, whenever you need something done, every office on campus sends you somewhere else.

Laura

I really love hofstra. i think the size of the campus is perfect. its not too small but its not gigantic either. i am currently an english major with a major concentration in creative writing and literature and i am so excited about it because hofstra has one of the best creative writing departments. also, i am in a power wheelchair and the campus is one-hundred percent handicapped accessible. i have no problem getting to and from classes at all and the classrooms are always equipped with a special table. the professors i have had so far have been awesome. before i came to hofstra i was not really that into sports, but i found myself going to like every football and basketball and soccer game. they are just a lot of fun and it is fun to see every one else cheering with you. when i tell people who go to hofstra they dont really understand why because for me hofstra is only 20 minutes from where i live, so none of my friends even wanted to look at it. but i love it and i dorm here. it is far enough and close enough at the same time.

hofstra is a very diverse and accepting group. we have many races. religions, and it is a very gay community i find. but there is a club to accomodate almost everyone. for the most part hofstra has pretty wealthy students since it is a private school. it is very expensive though, so two of my friends are actually leaving because of the cost. i do wish it was easier to get finanicial aid and a scholarship. i feel like if you can throw a ball they give you a full ride yet if you have a 4.0 GPA you get hardly anything.

i think that the professors i have had so far have been great. they are always there to help and extremely understanding. i had one professor however that was not so great. i hated my computer science class and never will i ever take another computer science class at hofstra. i didnt think the class or professor were good. i would never reccomend that class but besides that all of my others are great. i love my english professor that i even took him second semester as well. the one thing about classes, is you dont really make friends in classes because everyone is in and out so you make friends outside of class. whenever i need help from a professor i go to office hours where they are always willing to help.

i think social life is pretty average. i am not the party goer type to get drunk. i am perfectly happy hanging out in someones dorm room. in almost every other dorm i have been into everyone is really friendly on the floor and always leave their doors open, and that is one thing i wish we had on my floor. the people are hardly ever here and no one ever leaves their doors open. frats and sororities are very big at hofstra and they take homecoming and greek week really seriously. i am not a fan of soriorities and i would never join one. i need my space i couldnt be with the same people and i dont want to get drunk every weekend. thats just not me. there are a lot of shows on campus and i do go to them. i think they are always pretty good. we recently had comedians and they were hysterical. this weekend we just played games and laughed and talked a lot in my friends dorm till 2 in the morning and then i just hung out with another friend till midnight. neither night consisted of any drinking and getting drunk. off campus we usually go to the mall or out to dinner

That people are Long Island trash, a lot of valley girls

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.