Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

I really love the size of Hofstra, not too big or too small. I also really love the location because while we are on Long Island the city is not too far away and we can head there for school projects or just fun on the weekends.

There are some students like this on campus, but there is also a large amount of normal every day, nice people

My favorite class on campus is probably my honor's seminar. The teacher is very friendly and interesting. On the whole though I really enjoy my teachers and find that they tend to be good at remembering their students' names. The classes aren't too big either so that helps as well. I absolutely love the dance department, all the faculty members are so helpful to the students. I don't know quite as much about the political science department but have really liked my experiences there so far as well. The only complaint I have about Hofstra academically is that the core requirements are slightly ridiculous. The amount of required classes definitely makes it harder for me to take all those I need for my two majors and graduate on time.

Some stereotypes about Hofstra students are that they are stuck up Long Island Girls who only dress in designer clothes, smoke, tan excessively, and aren't friendly.

April

I love Hofstra. I think that when I first came here the number one complaint was that there wasn't enough community campus-wide. The doors on the floor were never open. Now however, Hofstra has pushed a lot of their extra curriculars for students to get involved on campus and within the halls. Hall Councils have played a much larger roll in the halls and more residents are keeping doors open (because we no longer have slam locks) and interacting with one another. I think the Resident Assistants play a large roll in this.

I LOVE HOFSTRA! I think that in general you either get involved and love hofstra OR you sit in your room and hate it. College is what you make it!!! Live it up :)

mostly yes, but there are some of us that work for a living :)

Most people drink at the bar down the road or play beer pong in their room. Greek life is big on campus. I met my closest friends through my fraternity and through working as a Resident Assistant. My social activities include going out to eat, movies, and very minimal drinking. Hofstra actually shows good movies on Saturday nights for free.

I know all my professors names however only about 3/4 of them welcome me to their office outside of class. In most of my general business courses participation isn't common but a lot of students are active in conversation in my specific finance classes. I think that the events and career center workshops help much more in preparing me for a job than any class I have ever taken. I have only taken 3 courses in the last four years that I will use beyond graduation.

all the girls are "typical" long Island girls and every guy owns a BMS

Rich

People know Hofstra as teh Jew chool, and we have alot of them. For gosh sakes, who's our President? Stuart Rabinowitz??

Racial divide is pretty large, not alot of mixing between caucasians and other ethnicities. The Long Island girls (of which there are quite a few) couldn't give a shit about politics, they're more interested in the latest Project Runway and what new overly priced outfit Juicy Couture just came out with. We have an LGBT community, primarily focused in (surprise) the art and drama departments, as well as a very active Gay-Straight Alliance. Of which they just hosted a Hofstra Drag Show - sexy. This is not a school for nerds or art students.

Don't go on the school sponsored study abroad programs! They're miserable, deplorable, drunken orgies! ....unless that's your thing ;D

Not quite. There ae alot of people from Long Island, perhaps a third but probably not that high, most of the people you will meet will be from LI, upstate NY, Maine, Mass, Conn, Penn and especially NJ (both North and South). Surprising number of Californians too. Technically 10% of the population is Jewish, but it seems like alot more. STD isn't an higher than any other school, though Nassau County as a whole has the highest in the country. Why people care? I don't know, you'll get them if you get with the wrong people, just like anywhere else.

The school has fantastic teachers, great credentials, many published, and not just because of requirements of their professorship. But the students....to be quite honest, and mind you I'm a pretentious prick, they are on the whole, a bunch of dumbasses. There are exceptions to this - for example, Honors College (no surprise there), the business school (which is quite good - every one that comes out of there can make you pick your own pocket for them), the law school (which isn't REALLY part of school life) and the Drama/Music Deptarment. There isn't much of an art program to speak of. ALOT of people come here because of the money they get. The school is not hard to get into (unless you apply to their Graduate Law School), but wow, they give alot of money. Their endowment is tremendous, likely from sucking money out of LI JAP parent's (Jewish American Princesses). I don't mind, it's what's getting me through.

Social life is what you make of it. Pick out the right friends and you can have a great time. Like anywhere else.

All from Long Island All have STD's Jew school

kristy

i feel very safe on campus. i would chance the prices of the food, it's too expensive. i think the campus is neither too large or too small, it's a good size. when people hear that i go to hofstra they usually say "wow, thats such an expensive school." they seem very impressed. something unusual about hofstra is that there are tons of cats on campus and some people leave food out for them.

i don't think any student would feel out of place at hofstra. there's a lot og accomodations for all kinds of people...disabled people, foreign students, etc. i think that a lot of people that come here are middle class bc i hear a lot of people tlaking about getting loans and wanting to get scholarships.

yes, my professors know my name. my favorite class is french because its so easy. i dont spend time with professors out of class. my major is spanish education, i want to be a spanish teacher. i dont hear a lot of students have intelectual conversations outside of class, i hear a lot of people talking about drinking and going out.

greek life is the biggest, student government is big too. if im awake at 2 am on a tuesday im probably reading in bed or watching tv.

Carson

i wish we had more school spirit, like more fans at sporting events. the size is perfect for me, might be too small for others, but i love knowing that i will always see someone i know while walking around campus. hempstead sucks. its scary. hooters is nice to have, and so is the witches' brew. and its good having roosevelt field so close. and dizzy's is fun once in a while.but usually its best to spend the 12 bucks and go into the city. i spend most of my time in the dorms just chilling with my friends. people tend to complain about the food, but honestly, we have a pretty good variety of options. it would be nice if the food seemed a little more fresh.

people seem very comfortable expressing themselves and being who they are. gays, artsy kids, greek lifers, and everyone in between. however, i feel blacks are very underrepresented here. there are lots of jews. yay! lots of rich kids. also lots of kids who are here on scholarship, and couldnt afford it any other way. most students are from long island, new jersey, mass, connecticut, maryland, new hampshire, and pennsylvania, with a few from florida, california, and oregon thrown in. verrrrrry liberal. republicans are frowned upon. lol.

its so pretty! i cant wait for the tulips! but the buildings are pretty drab, inside and out.

not really. yes many of my friends live nearby, but only one goes home on the weekends, and he has to for his job, and his father has health problems. there are a good amount of bleach blonde long island bimbos, but it's easy enough to avoid them. none of my friends have encountered the hofstra red.

yeah my professors know me, but my classes are relatively small. i hate c&e. A LOT. it seems quite superfluous. sure the works are classics, but we do not spend enough time discussing them to get a full appreciation, and there is not enough time to even read what is expected of us. studying is massive only the night before a test. yes there are definitely students who can hold intellectual conversations outside of class. perhaps i see more of it because i am in the honors college, but i have met others who can hold a real conversation or debate. i think the distribution requirements are a good thing, just to make sure students are semi-well-rounded.

people party a lot. 2am on a tuesday, im talking online or hanging in the lounge with my friends. or frantically trying to finish something for c&e the next morning. saturday night without drinking...hmm...in the city, going to a movie, or perhaps some event on campus. but usually getting drunk in the dorm.

Hofstra kids have STDs; they are mostly stupid rich spoiled Long Island kids; it is mostly commuters and/or kids who go home every weekend

Jill

Some people react negatively when I tell them what school I go to, especially people who attend different schools on Long Island. I spend most of my time in my dorm, mostly because most of my friends live there and I love the feeling of community that is in my complex. There's not really a 'college town'; I'm actually not that comfortable going off of campus on foot by myself.

For the most part, no. Sure, there is a group of people who like to party and flaunt their wealth, but there are people like that at every college in the country. We're no richer or snobbier than anyone else.

A lot of people think that Hofstra students are ridden with STDs and that everyone is stuck up and rich and obsessed with being the most stylish. It's also known as a big party school.

Mary-Kate

Nobody has any school pride.

Nobody has any school pride.

Poor students would feel out of place at hofstra. There are BMWs everyone and walking to class is like a fashion show, filled with the newest juicy couture sweats and true religion jeans. Makesure you have UGGS before you come her or you will be destroyed. Also, a Starbucks addiction is a must.

They are making a lot of the dorms freshman only, it sucks. The towers really need to be renevated, in the showers there are a lot of cracked tiles, as well as a completely rusty shower head, and the curtains are always falling down, its gross. Also, Hofstra loves to put too many people in a room. Freshman year i lived in a double room, with three people. I didn't have a desk or my own closet. This year I live in a single room as a double, I had to loft my bed to put my desk underneath, it is very cramped.

A lot of people are from Long Island, there are a lot of trashy girls but most people are nice.

Girl's are trashy and dumb, guys are all preppy jocks. Everyone is from Long Island.

People mostly party wednesday-saturday night. A lot of people leave their doors opened, and its good to invite everyone in your building to party in your room. On the weekends if you dont want to drink then you could go to the city and find something to do, but everyone mostly just drinks. Sporting events aren't really that popular, they try to give away free stuff to get students to go. Basketball games are probably the most popular event. Frats/Sororities are very important, many students are involved, and if you are involved you only hang out with others in greek life. It is very clicky.

Professors dont always know my name, not a lot of class participation, students cram with mad adderol the night before a test.

Alisha

The stereotypes are accurate to an extent. The stereotype accurately depicts a good number of Hofstra girls however the other girls that go to Hofstra are also seen in this manner and the truth is the rest of us are nothing like the typically Hofstra girl.

The biggest stereotype about Hofstra is about the Hofstra girls who only care about partying, hooking up and new Ugg boots.

Jen

The best thing about Hofstra is that I actually feel like I'm in college. I transferred from a school in PA and it seemed very childish and high schoolish. I would absolutely change the administration. The people who work at the school are so nasty. My advisor is extremely rude. 90 percent of the people who I have talked to to try and figure out a problem are so obnoxious and think they run the world because they have a PhD. The size of the school is fine for me, but that's really something everyone has to decide for themselves. People say "it's a good school". Basically, love the school, love the classes, but the people who work there in the offices and some of the advisement are nasty, nasty, nasty.

Honestly, never have been to another college in the area, I couldn't say how much better it is, except for the fact that I do know what some of my friends are doing in their classes, and my work is definetly more intense. It's not true though that we all have all the money in the world. That's not true. We can't always expect to forget about our jobs for school work.

For the most part, I do like the professors. Some of them aren't the best, but that is at every school.

I think Hofstra students are known to be very smart. Hofstra is known for several of its programs, particularly Law, Communications, and Education. If you have a degree in one of those fields, people are going to want to hire you (or so I've heard). However, there are also some negative stereotypes. People seem to think that we're all rich, bratty, stereotypical "Long Island" kids. The problem with this is that some professors act that way. They don't understand that sometimes we have to work and that our parents just don't hand us all the money in the world.

Chris

The best thing about Hofstra for me is New College, which, for all intense and purposes, doesn't exist anymore. The division was modeled after Oxford's New College, and focus' on interdisciplinary learning and meaningful discussion based classes, something that is harder to come by at Hofstra's main campus. Classrooms are smaller, and students and professors develop a more personal relationship, which I found tremendously helped the learning processes. All the professors of the different fields of study have office's in the same building, so a real communal atmosphere is built, so students can just drop by and talk. New College also cut out much of the cooperate bureaucracy that is so prevalent in the main administration's, taking a more human interest. This structure was especially helpful for me as a creative writing major, as those classes were structured around in depth feedback-based workshops. New College also attracted on average a more intellectual, freethinking student body than main campus. However, as I said before, Hofstra has pretty much disbanded New College as I knew it, and I am just being grandfathered through the program. If I were to change one thing, I would change President Rabinowitz. He's a smarmy little shit with no sense of humor, who also has no interest in students. For example, he makes $800,000, and the only things he's improved about Hofstra are superficial things you can show families on campus tours. We have a redesigned cafeteria that looks like the inside of a cheesy 1950s space ship. It might look cool and futuristic to outsiders, but to actually eat there is terrible. First of all, he seats are bolted into the floor far enough away from the table that you have to stretch to each. There are violently florescent lights which poke out of the tables, blocking your view of friends and blinding you to boo. Plus, they removed handicapped seating. Those students now have to eat in the back. Also, my shower walls are peeling paint. I could go on, but I can't write this thing forever. The town is terrible. Hempstead is literally a ghetto, and I would not recommend walking around at night. People have medium to positive reactions when i tel hem I go to Hofstra.

Pretty much, yes. However, there are niches of alternate thinking/acting.

I found the academics at New College, which I wrote about above, to be superb. Professors and I would have great conversations outside class, and still do. The students would be more supportive than competitive. I also took some main campus courses, and I really enjoyed and learned a lot from half. The other half were an utter waste of time and money.

Hofstra: It's a business tailored school with a penchant for running it's administration like a poorly managed fortune 500 company. Students: Everyone is a rich, spoiled long island guido or guido-ess. They are really dumb, have fake orange tans, talk only about drinking mad beers, and have a plethora of STDs.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.