Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Hugh

Hofstra Uuniversity is a diverse educational environment which allows students the opportunity to learn both from their professors and their peers in a way that encourages students to continually challenge themselves to do better.

Hofstra combines the feeling of a large university out on its own with the proximity to one of the biggest cities in the world allowing for a combination of two diverse educational environments at one institution.

When I graduated from high school I was truly convinced that I wanted to be an artist, creating computer and three dimensional movie graphics for a living. It was not until I jumped into that world and began working towards that goal full time that I determined that I enjoyed being an artist far more when I did not depend on my craft to make my living. Going back in time I would remind myself that I am young, with all of the time in the world, take some time to experience at least five totally different lines of work to determine the lines of work that you do or do not want to go into, it may surprise you to find where your interests lie when there's a practical application associated with what you're learning. I found that I liked art more as a hobby than a profession, I hated waiting tables, I have no talent for construction or painting, although I enjoy both for short periods of time but I have a surprising passion for medicine. Sometimes life takes you on the roundabout way to find the things that you are truly passionate about.

Vanessa

I wish I knew how large the school of business was. Not just in actual size but in ideal. The school I attended previously was smaller, more community-based, so move love for business and serving the community grew. In Hofstra, it was diluted with big exec talk and corporate adoration. It wasn't for me.

The story I’d tell high school me about the college transition is one of hope and responsibility. I’d say: High school is such a worrisome time for you now, but acceptance and expansion are on the way. You’ll meet new people from new places and what strength that will bring to you will astound you. You’ll be embraced for who you are and enhanced for who you are not, both by peers and professors. But despite your new friends and trusted mentors, you have the right and responsibility to stand up for yourself, to take care of yourself. College away from home is the time you learn who is truly responsible for you: you. Everything mom nags you about ad-nauseam? She’s right to remind you. Because amidst this newfound freedom and opportunity, experience and wonder, might come a lost grip on the important stuff. Nourish yourself, protect yourself, be your own advocate and have your own back. Stay true to yourself while welcoming in new possibilities. That balance will save you. Oh, and focus on your work. Study something that makes your heart beat fast.

Radio Hofstra University saved my mind and soul while I was bogged down with uninteresting business classes. The creative environment allowed me to learn more about myself while having fun and honing professional skills within the organization's management opportunities. It was a blast. Everything I learned in college was at WRHU.

Scarlett

My average classmate is intuitive and is very good at critical thinking.

My average classmate is intuitive and is very good at critical thinking.

Start building credit sooner so it can be easier to get a student loan. The sooner you start scholarship applications the better, so please stop procrastinating because college isn't cheap. Also rethink the having a red car and choose black or something because the red apparently attracts a lot students who like to key cars. Also remember that college work isn't like high school work and you should definitely start projects and papers in more advance than you usually would. Please listen to this because it'll make your life a lot easier in the long run.

The campus is absolutely beautiful. There are so many plants and flowers on campus. I also love the food selection and the prices for them are reasonable.

Lindsay

Hofstra University is capable of providing every dreamer, achiever and believer a chance to make their biggest ambitions transform into realities through hard-work, experience and knowledge.

Before arriving at Hofstra University I wish I had known that it would be the best decision I have ever made in order to erase all of the doubt that the college selection process gave me. It truly is where I belong and I know that I will succeed in my field of study throughout my life because of the education I will receive from this amazing university.

If I could turn back the clocks and talk to my senior self I would have quite a bit to say. The major being to not get down when you find those rejection letters in your mailbox; they do not matter. Another being to not be afraid of trying to find that dream school that you've wanted since you were a little girl; it's right in front of you. And finally to not be afraid to leave some people behind to follow your dreams; if they care, they'll understand. That acceptance letter is on its way with a lovely financial package not far behind. Hofstra University is where you'll find everything you have always wanted, and where you will be able to pursue your passion. Just know that this school is perfect for you and that it will change you for the better in every way you can possibly imagine. Never be afraid to follow your heart and do not be afraid to open yourself up to all of the strangers that you will find on move in day, because they will become your closest friends.

If I could give advice to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to be less afraid of hurting people's feelings and focus more on what's important to my success. I would also tell myself to be more confident and not to fear being myself and speaking my mind, even if it means I'll be judged. I would tell myself to took forward to the amazing things that are to come in college, and to be prepared for stressful times aw well. I would tell myself to appreciate my time at home more, and would tell myself to go ahead and rush into that relationship, but not to be so heartbroken when it ends. I would tell myself that college really is going to be a new beginning where I can change myself for the better and become someone who actually benefits society and does what before she could talk about doing. The biggest piece of advice I would give myself is not to worry so much, because soon I'll leave the negative people and things behind for a fresh start, planning a better, happier and successful future.

I love telling my friends how awesome all of my teachers are. They are all very knowledgeable and want you to succeed. They also offer extra help during Office Hours. I loved all of my professors and learned a lot from them.

I don't find anything about my school to be frustrating.

Mitchell

The cost is the worst thing about this school. This education comes with a hefty price tag at around $60,000 a year. Apparently the average mid term salary is 90k so hopefully the debt I am going to have will be able to be paid off with my future salary.

Any person who is liberal in every way and is able to be open to new ideas and have a lot of fun! Lots of food choices and student activities to keep you busy forever! Many off campus locations to visit and a very enjoyable college experience for anyone!

The advice I would give to my high school self would be to take as many AP classes as you can because they are practically free and not so much in college. Another fact would be to forget about your social life because you will most likely not see any of them again and work on your education and having grades so you can get a better scholarship and choice of school. Don't be so stressed out about college and learn to relax and enjoy life. You will know who your true friends are in time so don't stress out so much about life. Join as many programs and clubs that you enjoy so you can leave your mark in this world before you graduate and get ready for an amazing journey in college!

Elisheva

The diversity present at Hofstra is near astonishing. With all of the different kinds of people with such unique experiences who come from a wide range of places, including many international students, there's an incredible amount to learn from all of the students. The welcoming atmosphere among the variety of people is one of the best things any college could ever offer.

Don't worry so much about the college applications. Stop putting yourself down for not knowing how to do everything. A year from now, you are in a common room laughing and studying with people who love you. They want you to succeed, and most importantly, you've learned the tools of the trade in order to make sure you do. You are real world ready. You are going somewhere. The road ahead of you is long and rocky, but you have to know that nothing worth having comes easy. You have a good head on your shoulders and you have to use it for positive thinking. The only person capable of truly holding you back is yourself so make sure that you give yourself enough space and time to grow in the next you're. You'll be doing big things soon, ones that make your life better, and others' lives better too. But the only way to get going is to believe in yourself. So what are you waiting for?

This school is not for someone who is closed-minded or reluctant to be flexible and learn about different walks of life. Hofstra University calls for someone who actively seeks new experiences and the variety of life.

IGNACIA

My classmates are driven, goal oriented and infested with school spirit.

My classmates are driven, goal oriented and infested with school spirit.

My school is definitely known for our athletics. Hofstra Pride!

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to actually follow my passion and not doubt myself. I would tell myself to always be open to making new friends, but always watch out for other's motivations. Know that people's issues are not your own. And lastly, sing until your heart bleeds out of your chest because that's what you're best at. Let it pave the way.

Aaron

My classmates can be funny, talkative, and very intellectual.

My classmates can be funny, talkative, and very intellectual.

My school is a suburban school located right next to a major urban center (New York City) with reliable public transport, whereas the other schools I looked at were either urban (in the middle of the city), suburban (with no reliable public transportation in to the urban center), or rural. My school also has an actual campus, where the urban and even some suburban ones did not have a true campus to speak of.

I definitely have some very crucial advice I would give myself. I would tell myself to study hard from the get-go instead of slacking off at the end of every semester. Always pay attention in class. Perhaps the most important advice I could have given myself is "Learn How to Say NO!!". It will help, because part of why I have a low GPA is that when someone wanted to hang out with me, I would always say yes no matter how much work I had to do. I am just learning, at this late stage of the game, how to say NO. Another piece of advice I wouldn't hesitate to give myself is to SET MY ALARM CLOCK! Especially if you have early classes (9am, 9:30am, etc), which will probably happen as a freshman, you need to be on time. Many professors may not care, but there are a whole lot of them that will and won't hesitate to deduct points from your final grade if you exceed a certain number of absences or tardies. I would give anything to go back and give myself these crucial pieces of advice.

Joshua

Students at Hofstra University come from a more upper middle class family. Students at the university like to get involved in organizations such as fraternities and sororities as well as sport clubs. Most importantly, students love the school.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.