Hempstead, NY
Hofstra University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hofstra University

Malcolm

I think as far as opportunity goes, Hofstra is a great location to be in. Students have every opportunity to ride into New York City and search for opportunities there. Each department is always sending emails regarding internships frequently. However, the food is over-priced and not that good, neither is the scenery/view. It is rare that you would come across a person who really likes the options it has to offer, in terms of food. If I had to change anything about the campus, it would be those two things.

Our Greek life is very much alive on campus. But there are over 200 clubs on campus, and many of them are well and alive (with loads of members). If you are a guy (or girl) like me and don't want to be involved with any frats, then join more than one club. I am starting a club myself, and I hope to get as many students involved on campus with mines. Most of our sports are intramural, so if you were looking for college league team Hofstra sort of lacks in that area, but it stills has them. If I had to choose and say which one is most popular now, it would be the Hofstra v. Zombies club. It is a club where students dress up like zombies and human survivors and go around campus attacking one another with Nerf equipment, and turning one another into zombies. It is exactly like a videogame, only in real life. (I am not a part of this club, however).

The students, I have found, are very nice. Everybody waves and speaks to you, even if you don't know them (and sometimes you may have to be the first person to wave sometimes), but they all come around. The students, from my experience, are more accepting of others and this is due to the diverse community. You will find many acquaintances and friends, no matter who you are. But people will treat you how you treat them, and that is universal; if you are nice and sincere, normally that is what you will get in return. I also would not be intimidated by any of the other students, they are in the same boat you are in: trying to make friends, prosper academically/financially, and have fun.

Raynie

Senior year truly does move the fastest, and as nice as that sounds, it is also very frightening. You have to do your homework and pay attention in class, I know you’re ready to graduate, but slacking makes everything a lot harder. DO NOT hang around the wrong kids, and by that I mean do not do drugs or party, the consequences are not worth the hour of fun. Senior year is even worse with no freedom. Read the emails that the school sends and do not be afraid to talk to the guidance counselor, even if she forgets that you even exist, sometimes you have to take the initiative. Apply to colleges right away, apply for financial even sooner, and apply for the scholarships offered to you by the community. Searching for scholarships elsewhere is not as easy as it sounds, and free money is always worth the extra effort. All in all, try hard, have fun, and stay true to who you are!

Victoria

Beautiful campus with wonderful professors and cats.

Beautiful campus with wonderful professors and cats.

First of all I'd tell myself not to worry so much! Everything will be fine, just breathe. I'd tell myself and other seniors to make sure you manage your time properly. You have to study for so many things in college that it is important to get your homework and essays done quickly. Start studying at the beginning of the semester so you won't drive yourself crazy during midterms and finals. I'd want myself to know that it's okay to ask for help; from professors or tutors or RAs. When life gets stressful, it's good to have friends you can talk to. I'd tell myself to talk to more people, especially in my house. You are going to be living with these people for almost a year so you should make good friends with them. Lastly I'd tell myself not to worry because you'll be okay. You will find yourself here; so just breathe.

Griffin

All I can say is don't Hofstra seems appealing with it being so close to NYC, but that's really the only good thing. I majored in drama, and half the professors were educated at Hofstra! No one in any department knew what they were talking about and they told us if anyone came up to ask why the tuition was so high we should avoid the question. The so called "BFA" program is a scam, and without it you're basically paying 60k for no major. The kids who had gotten in came out with no connections, about the same education that AMDA could give you (except 50k cheaper) and a school that looks the other way when you ask why you don't have a job. It says a lot when someone transfers to a community college just to get out of the trap that is Hofstra. The food is awful and the amount of times people found bugs in their food was too many to count. Hofstra is located in the lovely town of Hempstead, known for its gangs and high crime rate. My first year I got three emails a week telling us to travel in groups because there had been students mugged walking back from parties. The school totes their proximity to NYC as a feature yet sets a time limit on the shuttle that takes you to the nearest train station, saying that after a certain time it's too dangerous for them to come, and if you find yourself stuck there then you better know someone with a car. Even the attendance policy, which varies per major, is insane. If you find yourself in the hospital, or just sick, then you better show up to class with an IV because if you're absent more than 2 times they drop your grade and recommend you drop the class. If I could give this school 0 stars I would. If you're even thinking of attending simply because you didn't get in anywhere else (like the majority of people who go to Hofstra, it's a 'well I didn't get into my top choice but this will do' school), I implore you to look elsewhere. I didn't do well my first semester of freshman year due to my family moving and it being a new environment. As a result I lost my scholarship, but when I tried to explain that I was simply getting used to being alone and not having any family close they told me that it didn't matter and that I could appeal again next year. They rope you in by showing you the gym, which is about the only thing they'll spend money on, and have the student guides, who are paid to lie (I know because I went to the training to be one, but when I was told about the questions to avoid: tuition, do people drink/ do drugs). The dorms are small and packed (they have 4 people to a room the size of a normal dorm, they call it a quad). There's so much to say about why this school is terrible, but I'll leave it at a simple DON'T. Don't go, no matter how appealing it sounds, it's not.

The students are generally nice, depending on who you meet.

Depends on the major, but for arts, they're awful.

yixuan

Work hard, searching for Job very often. really very smart.

Work hard, searching for Job very often. really very smart.

tennis club! That's the club I love. I meet my closest friends during the mass. we feel for both of us, we matched to each other, then we keep communicate more and more, we went shopping together and we do our homework together when we catch a free time off campus, we take a train all the way to manhattan and shop, and have some fun. It's really very nice. Party?? I will say I don't know, I never been to a college party..

I love my friends, by the way I am roman catholic, so we went to the mass every sunday, sometimes wednesday. I feel go to church together really helped to bound our friendship. Hofstra is a free school, so people can wear whatever they want to class, specially during the halloween. I feel this is really very fun. Girls are most fashion and guys wear the same clothes always. I am not so sure about the financial backgrounds for most of the students at my school. But they all owns a car... so I will say their financial ability are at the middle class level.

My major is Accounting and International bussiness. My favorite classes are ECO001 and 002, in these classes, I learned a lot about the market and how the sociality market work during our life. My classmates are really very smart, so they can teach me when I got a problem.

Hugh

Hofstra Uuniversity is a diverse educational environment which allows students the opportunity to learn both from their professors and their peers in a way that encourages students to continually challenge themselves to do better.

Hofstra combines the feeling of a large university out on its own with the proximity to one of the biggest cities in the world allowing for a combination of two diverse educational environments at one institution.

When I graduated from high school I was truly convinced that I wanted to be an artist, creating computer and three dimensional movie graphics for a living. It was not until I jumped into that world and began working towards that goal full time that I determined that I enjoyed being an artist far more when I did not depend on my craft to make my living. Going back in time I would remind myself that I am young, with all of the time in the world, take some time to experience at least five totally different lines of work to determine the lines of work that you do or do not want to go into, it may surprise you to find where your interests lie when there's a practical application associated with what you're learning. I found that I liked art more as a hobby than a profession, I hated waiting tables, I have no talent for construction or painting, although I enjoy both for short periods of time but I have a surprising passion for medicine. Sometimes life takes you on the roundabout way to find the things that you are truly passionate about.

Vanessa

I wish I knew how large the school of business was. Not just in actual size but in ideal. The school I attended previously was smaller, more community-based, so move love for business and serving the community grew. In Hofstra, it was diluted with big exec talk and corporate adoration. It wasn't for me.

The story I’d tell high school me about the college transition is one of hope and responsibility. I’d say: High school is such a worrisome time for you now, but acceptance and expansion are on the way. You’ll meet new people from new places and what strength that will bring to you will astound you. You’ll be embraced for who you are and enhanced for who you are not, both by peers and professors. But despite your new friends and trusted mentors, you have the right and responsibility to stand up for yourself, to take care of yourself. College away from home is the time you learn who is truly responsible for you: you. Everything mom nags you about ad-nauseam? She’s right to remind you. Because amidst this newfound freedom and opportunity, experience and wonder, might come a lost grip on the important stuff. Nourish yourself, protect yourself, be your own advocate and have your own back. Stay true to yourself while welcoming in new possibilities. That balance will save you. Oh, and focus on your work. Study something that makes your heart beat fast.

Radio Hofstra University saved my mind and soul while I was bogged down with uninteresting business classes. The creative environment allowed me to learn more about myself while having fun and honing professional skills within the organization's management opportunities. It was a blast. Everything I learned in college was at WRHU.

Scarlett

My average classmate is intuitive and is very good at critical thinking.

My average classmate is intuitive and is very good at critical thinking.

Start building credit sooner so it can be easier to get a student loan. The sooner you start scholarship applications the better, so please stop procrastinating because college isn't cheap. Also rethink the having a red car and choose black or something because the red apparently attracts a lot students who like to key cars. Also remember that college work isn't like high school work and you should definitely start projects and papers in more advance than you usually would. Please listen to this because it'll make your life a lot easier in the long run.

The campus is absolutely beautiful. There are so many plants and flowers on campus. I also love the food selection and the prices for them are reasonable.

Lindsay

Hofstra University is capable of providing every dreamer, achiever and believer a chance to make their biggest ambitions transform into realities through hard-work, experience and knowledge.

Before arriving at Hofstra University I wish I had known that it would be the best decision I have ever made in order to erase all of the doubt that the college selection process gave me. It truly is where I belong and I know that I will succeed in my field of study throughout my life because of the education I will receive from this amazing university.

If I could turn back the clocks and talk to my senior self I would have quite a bit to say. The major being to not get down when you find those rejection letters in your mailbox; they do not matter. Another being to not be afraid of trying to find that dream school that you've wanted since you were a little girl; it's right in front of you. And finally to not be afraid to leave some people behind to follow your dreams; if they care, they'll understand. That acceptance letter is on its way with a lovely financial package not far behind. Hofstra University is where you'll find everything you have always wanted, and where you will be able to pursue your passion. Just know that this school is perfect for you and that it will change you for the better in every way you can possibly imagine. Never be afraid to follow your heart and do not be afraid to open yourself up to all of the strangers that you will find on move in day, because they will become your closest friends.

If I could give advice to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to be less afraid of hurting people's feelings and focus more on what's important to my success. I would also tell myself to be more confident and not to fear being myself and speaking my mind, even if it means I'll be judged. I would tell myself to took forward to the amazing things that are to come in college, and to be prepared for stressful times aw well. I would tell myself to appreciate my time at home more, and would tell myself to go ahead and rush into that relationship, but not to be so heartbroken when it ends. I would tell myself that college really is going to be a new beginning where I can change myself for the better and become someone who actually benefits society and does what before she could talk about doing. The biggest piece of advice I would give myself is not to worry so much, because soon I'll leave the negative people and things behind for a fresh start, planning a better, happier and successful future.

I love telling my friends how awesome all of my teachers are. They are all very knowledgeable and want you to succeed. They also offer extra help during Office Hours. I loved all of my professors and learned a lot from them.

I don't find anything about my school to be frustrating.

Hofstra University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.