Longview, WA
Lower Columbia College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lower Columbia College

Shawna
Lower Columbia Grad 2015

Lower Columbia Grad 2015

Lower Columbia is a great two year college for anyone in the area! They are working on becoming bigger and great things are happening. Granted there is no on campus living and they don't provide off campus living for students so most students are living with their families or rent an apartment in town. Lower Columbia is located in the center of Longview and is very close to small town shops, eateries and the small town mall. Great location for people to have study groups with classmates and to live college life. Lower Columbia is really into their baseball and basketball teams. Currently just opened their new gym last quarter along with a previously new health sciences building that boasts a wonderful nursing, biology and chemistry program. I am someone who graduated with my Associates in Art Degree back in June and am working towards getting into the nursing program. While most of my classes have been taken online, the college offers many different courses. We have online, in class and hybrid (a mix of both online and in class). The college offers a work study program for those who need a job to help pay for tuition, I haven't participated in this however know many people who have. Lower Columbia also offers a wonderful Disability Support System for any student with a learning/mental/physical disability and still working on a degree. I would know because I am part of this as I have a documented hearing disability and am in need of some services in order to succeed in classes. There are always events going on at the campus ranging from deaf comedians to Amy Roloff from Little People Big World coming to speak. The drama department performs plays and there are concerts from the arts portion of school. The sciences are also a big deal with everyone on campus. Athletics such as baseball and basketball are indeed a big portion of our college life. Ticket prices to all of these activities are very accommodating towards both the students and the community. While it may be frustrating to get financial aid for some people, the college tries to work with every student as an individual to make a payment option that works for them. This isn't the best subject for me to go into as I pay out of pocket for all of my schooling and college supplies, so I will leave this section up to someone else who knows more than what I do. Lower Columbia offers help in many different aspects. There are the academic counselors and advisers to help students along their way of receiving their degree. Campus security is a big portion of this help as well, all students receive a free parking permit after paying their dues for the quarter. As I personally have never seen anyone get a ticket for parking in the parking lots, campus security is always on location making sure all students are safe. Lower Columbia also boasts a wonderful Running Start Program for those students in high school who would like to get a head start on their college courses while still going to high school. These students are able to participate at their high schools and the college during the school year. They are able to receive both their college degree and a high school diploma at the end of their two years while either taking full or part time course load at the college. All in all, with everything that Lower Columbia College holds for their students, this college is a top rated college in the Pacific North West. May not be located in the best town, but the community as a whole supports this college and everyone gains a little something from being part of this college!

Elanna

It's like a little community inside itself. Usually people are very friendly and the instructors are pretty good too.

It's not as crazy as it seems. Just trust yourself but don't settle for something you've been told you should do. I promise, you'll change your mind more times than you can imagine, and that's okay. Also, don't take a year off. It's a horrible idea. You'll get bored and drive yourself crazy. Trust me. Just keep going. I know it seems like an impossible feat to get yourself registered and all set up but it's so easy you'll laugh at how nervous you were. Don't be afraid to just go for what you want because I promise, you'll be happy with your choices.

Blaize

If I could go back in time to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to save money, apply for as many scholarships as possible, be more involved in activities, and that grades really do matter. At my high school we were not taught much about the real world. So now I am trying to apply for colleges and get scholarships but my family can't afford my tuition and neither can I. Also, I was under the impression that to an extent grades don't matter as long as you earn a degree. This led to me to enrolling in college courses during high school but not taking them seriously and now my GPA depicts this. If my GPA were higher I would have a better chance earning scholarships. I feel that if I would have been involved in more activities I would have enjoyed high school much more. That would have given me a larger opportunity to earn scholarships as well. In the end, I could have made better decisions during high school to help me transition into an easier adult life, especially financially. Now I'm off to invent a time machine!

The campus is probably the best thing about this school. It is beautiful especially in Spring. It is also located in the center of town so you are close to almost anything you need. Some of the teachers here are amazing, especially in the English and Art departments.

A person who is looking to go into nursing or not sure what they plan to do. The nursing program here is wonderful. But it is also a nice place to go if you're unsure and plan to possibly attend a 4-year college.

Caitlin

If I could go back in time I wish I would have done running start. Running start is a program that give high school kids the opportunity to take courses at the local community college, Lower Columbia Community College, for free. Doing this would have saved me around three thousand dollars, and I would already be going into my junior year of college. Other than that I am happy with my decision to stay at home and go to community college. Though I haven?t had the true college experience I have been able to keep my grades up and develop what I feel is a good foundation for my business degree. I believe that if I went to a four year university I would have had more trouble focusing on my studies. Community college also made the transition better because the class sizes are smaller, more like high school, so it made adapting to the faster pace that much easier. And now with the better understanding of my courses I feel that I will be able to transfer to a four year university without any problem, and still be able to succeed.

The worst thing about Lower Columbia Community College is that it lacks the college experience. There is not a whole lot of school activities that a bigger school might have. There are no dances, and games can be fun, but they are not the same as at a bigger school. Also in a town like Longview there is not a lot of things to do for young adults. There is a bowling alley and a movie theater, but those can get boring after a while, so you better be creative.

Lower Columbia Community College is a good place for someone who really isn't certain about what they want to major in. LCC has a wide range of classes at a price that is a lot lower than even a state school can offer. Also if you are trying to support yourself through school LCC is a good place because the community is very supportive, and there are plenty of job and scholarship oppertunities available. This way you can get your associate's degree at about half the price, so you can afford to go to a four year school.

Conan

The single most difficult and painful transition for me was the studying and homework aspect of college. High school, I see now, rarely challenged me or pushed me. Homework was simple and studying did not happen. What I would tell myself would be to start picking up the books, cracking them open and studying. Start taking notes in class even if nothing is written on the board. Work the homework and then do extra problems. I would tell my immature self that college would require, at the very least, one to two hours of homework per hour of class. Even though I viewed myself as a responsible person, I was not prepared for the level of self responsibility college required. Remembering due dates, class requirements, homework policies, etc., was new and overwhelming. I would tell myself that in college, you only get out what you put in. That I would need to be prepared for each class, register on my own time, pick up my own books, and resolve my own scheduling conflicts. It would be all me. Sure, I heard these things from other people. I heard them, but didn?t listen. Maybe I would have listened to me.

I believe that any student with an open mind and a willingness to work with a wide range of students and instructors of various backgrounds should attend this school. It is much cheaper to attend here for the first two years of your program and the school helps you find what classes you need to take for your respective program and eventual four year school. This school also offers a wide range of two year vocational degrees for those with such interests.

I mostly compliment the great mix of cultural and economic backgrounds, as well as the exceptional teachers and professors when telling friends about my school.

James

When I was in high school, I really had no motivation to do well or continue my education. I just wanted to pass. I don't think I would want to go back and try to change my mind. I believe that the choice I made by entering the work force and getting married young after high school made me who I am today. If I just went straight to college from high school, I wouldn't have the motivation I have now to do well in college. I would tell myself to do what you feel is right, and you will make your own path to success. Every path I chose in the past has led me to where I am now, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I don't think there is enough staff. I have herd about budget cutbacks, and with enrollment as high as it has ever been, students waiting for financial aid have to wait longer than normal. It's not out of the ordinary to wait in line for an hour or more in the financial aid line.

I tell my friends about my classes and how I am doing. I have really suprised myself by doing very well and making the Dean's List.

Andera

Lower Columbia College is located an hour away from any other college. It is a rural area that is in need of educational opportunities. The college offers many degrees and vocations but the one thing that truly makes it origional is the new ROAN program. It is a nursing program for people that live in rural areas to get thier degree while working. Mixing both classroom and online studies to help students work in lower income areas while helping to pay for student loans.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself I would have so much to say. I would start by saying pay attention. Pay attention to the teachers that are there trying to help you learn information you really will need in college and in life. Pay attention to your parents, they really do know what they are talking about. Pay attention to your books and studies, grades really will count. Looking at your transcripts eighteen years after you graduate will be an eye opener and an ego deflater. I would go on to say that college right after high school seems so hard but it really would be the easier route. Struggling to raise kids and keep the wolves at bay and then playing catch up when you finally get the chance to get back to school is the hard way. And finally, you really are to smart to not show it. Spend the time early and enjoy being in school, there is plenty of time to be an adult. . . after school.

I think that Lower Columbia college is a very diverse school. I have only been in the school for two weeks and yet I have met many different people with many different areas of intrest. kids just out of high school to grand parents all working hard at furthering thier education. I think the best type of person to attend this school is someone with an open mind and an excitement to learn in a fun, friendly environment.

Quiet and shy until you get to know them; alternating between joking and serious when you become friends with them and always fun-loving.

Relax. I'm neither a gost nor a figment of your imagination. I'm you in four years. Right now you are a senior in high school. This time next year you will be a pro at college life. You will be making new friends, have a job as a tutor in the library and be getting A's in school. I am here not to tell you to try harder to get good grades or to make sure that you get into a certain school, but to tell you to slow down and enjoy your life as a senior. Make an effort to say 'hi' to someone every day, smile at people and don't be afraid of them. Don't pass up an opportunity to make a friend. In everything you do, be fair, be yourself and don't give up, no matter what. These qualites will take you far in life. Just remember, you are what you make yourself. Nothing more, nothing less.

How to be more of a friend, how to be more social.

Beka

The majority of my classmates are very relaxed and don't seem to try very hard.

The majority of my classmates are very relaxed and don't seem to try very hard.

If I was given the chance to go back and talk to myself, I would more than likely have told myself to take tougher classes. I would have told myself to continue in my AP calc class and to take more AP classes. I would have also told myself not to put everything off, and to just do the things that needed to be done.

I wish I had had a little better understanding of the course work, and had been better prepared for what was to be expected of me.

William

At 50 years of age, the word that best describes my classmates is young but they seem to be willing to put up with an old codger like me!

I know that I would tell myself to be strong and to not quit, especially where school is concerned. At 50, I can tell the 18 year old version of myself that there will come a time when you have a choice between giving up and taking the easier road or sticking it out a little longer and achieving the success you deserve. Easier brings quick rewards but they?re fleeting and once taken the easier road usually leads to frustration, boredom, and stagnation. Work hard and strive to make the most of yourself seems like a lot of work, and it is, but it's simply a lot less work in the long run than having to reinvent yourself periodically over your entire career. I would tell myself that the 4-5 years spent getting your education upfront in a field that satisfies you will far exceed the easy rewards and accolades. I once told my son, on the topic of careers and money, you can make a six digit income but if you hate your job it?ll never be enough but if you love it, the amount you make will matter.

Since it?s a Community College, the best thing about it is its willingness to provide a valuable resource for the community. Heading back to school at the age of 50, to reinvent myself, after a long term career has ended; the school is working hard to help me on my feet academically. I've got teachers and advisers who are going beyond the call of duty to help me resurrect an almost 30 year old college education, far exceeding their mandate as educators to do so. They?re putting the word "community" back into Community College.

Lower Columbia College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.