Mayville, ND
Mayville State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mayville State University

Twyla
myfuturecollege

I would like to do on-line classes there.

myfuturecollege

I would like to do on-line classes there.

Aubrey

I would tell myself to not hide away in my dorm room. I would tell myself, that I need to go out and meet people! College is not like high school, there are more people, who know nothing about you, so be yourself. Also another thing I would tell myself is, it is okay to go to school as a freshman and not know what you want to do for the rest of your life. Also, spend your money wisely. If you don not really need it, do not buy it! Most importantly, do not skip your classes. You will miss important information if you do not attend your classes regularly.

Go out and meet people! College is way different from high school. Don't be afraid to be yourself, and have fun! If there is a speaker, go out and listen. You will meet people, who have the same views, and morals as yourself!

A person who does not want to get noticed, or blend into a crowd. All the teachers here learn your names by the second week of classes. A person who should not attend Mayville is a person who wants to be in a class size of 300 people. Mayville is a small school; the class size is small, you learn everyone's names.

Shelby

Mayville State University is best known for its small class sizes. There are class sizes that have six people in them, and the larger classes can have up to fifty people in them. The education department is also very strong at Mayville State. They are known around the midwest for providing a solid foundation for future teachers to build their teaching profiles and educations.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could go back in time? If I had that chance, I would talk to my high school self about the importance for preparation and readiness for college. I would tell my high school self to take as many AP courses as I could handle, and I would push my younger self to strive for excellence. It is very easy to settle for a 'B', but I would tell my adolescent version to strive for the 'A'! Struggling is a part of learning, so informing my younger self about how important comprehension of the basic concepts is would be beneficial to a greater level of success in college. I would stress how important the freshman year of college is as far as being an impact on my college GPA for the future. It is crucial to not take the first year lightly from having more independence. But mostly, I would tell myself to stay focused and to keep a positive attitude no matter what, as those qualities will lead to success!

One of the most frustrating things about Mayville State is the Science classes. Some courses are only offered every other semester or every other year, so it makes it challenging to get all of the necessary requirements for my major and minor. Besides that, the only other downfall to Mayville State is the cold winters, but that comes with being in North Dakota! :)

Aubrey

If I could go back to when I was in high school, I would tell myself what I have learned in my first semester in college. One of the biggest things I have learned is go out, don’t stay in your dorm. Go to the events offered on campus. You will get to meet some people, and that is always nice when you go to class and you know at least one person in the class. Another thing is study for tests, even if you did not have to study in high school, college is different, study. When I though about college all I could think about was my parents will not be around to tell me what to do, I can skip class if I want. Go to class, you miss very important information when you skip classes. If you go to a small school teacher take attendance and that is part of your grade. Most importantly is make new friends, they will be there when you need them

There is a lot of drinking that goes on in Mayville, but i'm sure that you have that on every campus around America.

A person that likes a smaller class size. You will know most of the students in your class. The teachers care about you, so if you like one on one time with a teacher Mayville State is the place for you.

Brooke

I would tell myself to save more money. It will become difficult to do things that I would enjoy because I will not have money. Be more careful on what I buy and not to just throw money around. Also, college is not like high school. Then I would tell myself that I would have to study more, and take good notes. College is a big deal and would have to be taken seriously. It is not what all the others say, no parties; it is not all freedom with fun and games. It is hard work and responsibilities. The grades and things you do in college will affect the rest of a person's life. What happens in college will affect everything in your future; this includes jobs.

I feel that the worst thing about Mayville State University would be the cost of everything. Being a college student and trying to pay for tuition, books, meal plans, and everything on the side of that is a little high. It cost so much. Between school, studying, and sports, it is hard to get a job. It makes it hard to pay for. I feel that if it was cheeper, more people would attend college and the economy would be better.

People that want a big town to live in should not attend Mayville State University. When people want to be a number in a large class to the professor instead of them knowing a face and a name, Mayville is not a place for someone that wants this. Mayville is not for people that want to get lost in the crowd or not get noticed on a day to day basis. People should not go to this school if they do not want to see the same people every day.

Mayville State University is best known for its education programs. I chose to come here to pursue my Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education and minor in Early Childhood education because of the school's excellent teaching pregrams and high placement ratings upon graduation. It is also known for integrating hands on practical experiences with its academic curriculum. Mayville State University gives students the opportunity to gain experience in their chosen field of study while still in school.

The most valuable advice I would offer myself is to take time to fill out scholarship applications and do the petty work involved with the FAFSA application. I did not do this and later learned that things would have been easier if I had. I would also advise myself to be aware that everyone was raised different and may have a living style other than your own. Becoming involved in clubs and groups on campus is much easier to do when you first start school. As the years progress it gets harder to step out of your comfort zone and meet new people. Don't be afraid to try new things. I spent too much time isolated in my room studying and neglected the opportunity to socialize. I came to find out that moving into the dorms opens up new opportunities to see living styles and personalities that may clash with your own. It would have been nice to know that although you may make friends you don't need to spend all your free time with them. I only allowed myself to socialize with a few people and it inhibited my ability to branch out.

I was aware that the town was smaller than what I had previously known, but I wish I would have known the exact size. I wish I would have known that the town doesn't have much to offer. It would have been nice to know that housing was tight and the closest department store is twenty-five miles away. Most of all I would have liked to have known about the inconvienence.

Amber

I would tell myself to be more prepared for college and know what you want to do in the future. Things will turn out a lot better if you prepare yourself for what is to come. It's important to research what field you want to go into and know that is what you want to do for the rest of your life. Sometimes college isn't easy. It can be stressful and also time consuming. It's not cheap to pay for college either. College can be one of the best times of a person's life. You also need to be responsible and know what needs to be done and when it needs to be done. You need to devote time to your classes and do the work that your instructors assign. How ever much you put into your college education is what you're going to get out of it. Live your life to the fullest and experience all that you can while your in college. Form friendships that will last a lifetime. Know who to go to for help. Talk to you're advisor to make sure you're on the right path with your education.

I think those that attend this school should enjoy the program that they are in. They should also enjoy small town life, since Mayville is a small town. There are many choices for majors and minors that MSU has to offer. Students should be determined for what the want to do and know how to accomplish the goals they set in obtaining what they want for their future.

I don't find anything too frustrating about my school. At the moment, I take all of my classes online. It is more convenient for me to do so that way. I guess one thing I find a little frustrating is some teachers not responding to my emails in a timely manner when I have questions. I usually expect an answer within 24 hours and sometimes it is longer than that.

Karen

I am an online student so I really do not have much to say about classmates except that they are very willing to give you feed back in discussions in order to help you either understand an assignment or to help you take a different look on something in life.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself that no matter how hard you are trying, trying just a little bit harder. Every little bit of effort you give will pay off in the end, but if you are not giving it 110% you will not succeed. Do your best and never let anyone, or anything make you think that you are not good enough. If you give it your all, you will be better then someone who only doing half of their best. Take the classes that you would need for your major, if you are going into business, take as many business and computer classes as you can, it will help you not only in your business classes but as well as generals. Pay attention in class, it pays off in the end. But last of all, work hard and do your best at all times!

I think that the most frustrating thing about Mayville State is that you may have small classes but you may not be able to find the help from a teacher if you do not understand something if you are not loud and open in class. If they believe you are not trying because you are quiet they may not be willing to help. You must be loud and active in class in order to receive help.

Vlas

The most important advice I would to myself is to be more organized. It was difficult to me throughout first year in college to organize all courses, do homework on time and be more consistent. Also I would say that that I need to be more serious. I was not responsible enough during freshmen year and I failed two classes because of that. It took extra time and more effort to recover from those mistakes I could avoid by talking to myself in High school. When I graduated from High school I was too frivolous, so the mistakes I’ve made were part of my ‘growing up’ process. So I don’t feel too bad about it, because without these mistakes I wouldn’t become who I am right now. Thank you for your attention! Sincerely, Vlas Shurubko

It is very important to me as online/distance student that teachers would reply to emails as soon as possible. So far all teachers responded within 24 hours. Also all the teachers I had were very enthusiastic and I really enjoyed attending all the courses

I honestly don’t have anything frustrating to say about my college. Everything is great or in an “Above average” conditions

at mayville state the classmates i have encountered are mostly helpful and willing to share knowledge and notes benificial to studying.

As a high school senior I was stressed out about how college would be, worried that people would not like me, and how difficult the courses would be. I would advise my senior self to take the offered college English courses to get them out of the way, also the course to get my nursexaid certificate as a way to work through school; both I have taken since college and wished I had seized the opportunity when it was presented. I would let myself know that college is demanding, but other students form study groups, professors are available through email and encourage questions, and free tutoring is availabe through the school by appointment. As far as dress goes everyone throws on sweats and runs to class; it is more important to get that extra hour of sleep than to look like one just came from the run way. As far as classmates go everyone is very accepting, we are all worried about the same things as freshmen; as time goes on we all find our niche just give it at least a month. All in all the best advice I can give is to quit stressing and have some fun.

the courses availabe in spring are limited. i assume it is because winter is harsh and many out of state kids leave. it would be helpfull to have more availability for second semester.

Mayville State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.