Abilene, TX
McMurry University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend McMurry University

As my first year of college is coming to an end, I realize just how much the experience has changed me. First off, going to college provided me with my first opportunity to take care of myself. For once, I learned how to make wise decisions for myself and take responsibility. Also, I learned a lot about time management. In the past, hanging out with friends and work occupied my time, but this year of college has led me to realize just how important it is to make the most out of my time. Nowadays, school, homework, and working to pay for school have been made priorities and when time just can't be made, the things I have a lifetime to do have been pushed to the back seat. Also, college has taught me to be wise with my money. I have never been a big spender, but writing that check for school every couple of months and the finance class I took reminded me to keep my pockets full. Most importantly, college has and will continue to teach me the skills I need to become a teacher and be successful. Thus, I find my college experience undeniably valuable.

Kent

In today's world, I feel a college education is a must-have in order to contribute to life at the highest level. My college experience thus far has opened my eyes to the importance of gaining as much knowledge as possible. I not only have the desire to be educated in my field of interest but to be a well rounded, educated citizen that will not only benefit myself but my community as well.

Tara

My school is old, smells old, it's either really hot or really cold but is one of the most welcoming and comfortable places I have ever been to and I wouldn't choose anywhere to go to school but here.

In my college experience I have learned several things but only the most important stand out to me. I have learned that a Jr College is more of a 13th grade of high school and that's exactly how it looks and feels. I have learned that because you see someone in public that you have in your class it doesn't give you grounds to chat them up like your buddies. I have learned that there are some absolutely amazing people in this world who definately surprised the heck out of me. School has definately been valuable for me to attend because it's opened me up to a world bigger than highschool, bigger than my hometown and given me the opportunity to be the person I have always wanted to be. It's been valuable for me because I am a young mother and wife and I want to prove to myself and my family that just because life throws you a roadblock there are always ways around it, and I can be successful and make good decisions. I am a very strong and smart person and it's taken college to show that to me.

I don't wish I knew anything different. I love the unpredictableness of being unaware of everything. There wouldn't be anything I would like to have known before I came to McMurry because the best way to learn things are to dive in head first, and you can't dive in the shallow end knowing the bottom is only a few feet away. If I absolutely HAD to choose something it would be to have better walking shoes because only the teachers get special treatment like parking lots next to the buildings.

My school is best known for having a larger school education with a smaller school community feeling. At McMurry University you get a quality education like what you would receive at a larger school. However, here you have a small town, small school feel. This helps you to avoid becoming overwhelmed. School can be very overwhelming. McMurry?s great staff helps you overcome this with their family feeling atmosphere.

The one piece of advice I would give to myself as high school student today is to continue your education immediately after completing graduation. I myself took a few classes right out of school and then took an eight year hiatus while supporting my family. It is extremely hard to go back to school after this amount of time. Adding to that the pressures of doing so with a family and a full time job and it becomes almost impossible. Students today should pursue their education immediately before they establish a family. This will make it much easier for them to concentrate on their education.

I wish that I would have known how many nontraditional students there actually were on campus. I was quite nervous about starting due to my nontraditional status. I was pleasantly surprised to find several other students in my same situation.

Kendra

It is known for having a very competitive track program.

It is known for having a very competitive track program.

Transition I would have made now that I know what college is like and that would have been helpful for me in high school, I would tell myself that I should have took work more serious because going to college is not at all close to high school, its more getting your work turned in on time otherwise the professor will drop you from the class.

The best thing about my school is that everyone is involved on campus, whether it's with organizations or sports , the school is small and has a very good vibe to it. The classes are small so it's not as difficult to learn or ask the professor questions.

Whitney

My classmates are well educated, motivated, responsible, and have great qualities.

High school is a wonderful time, filled with a wide range of emotions, expectations, and plans. If I were a high school senior again, I would help manage my time and learn to make the transition from high school to college. First things first, do not stop at high school. Set goals and pursue your dreams. Finalize college plans! Make a list of colleges and universities that seem to be suited for you. There is a common misconception that once you've made it to your senior year -- and especially once you've been accepted by colleges -- that senior grades don't matter. Continue to take pride in your grades and continue to do your best. Challenge yourself and stay involved. The key for you is to avoid burnout. You have your high school work, college planning, social activities, family obligations, and outside activities all demanding your time. Try to keep your life balanced.

McMurry is not simply committed to your degree attainment, but is committed to insuring that your McMurry experience prepares you for career success, civic responsibility, and personal satisfaction.

Shiloh

I would just tell myself to relax and that it'll all work out. I'm smart enough and a hard enough worker that I can do. Financially I may struggle a lot, but somehow it'll all work out. I would also tell myself to keep my head up and that I would make some of the greatest friends in my life.

I believe the best thing on campus is the social club that McMurry offer, because you create friends for life. Also, in these groups we volunteer and help around the community and each social club expects high standards to up held and also encourage academic excellence.

The kind of person who should not attend McMurry University is the kind of person who does not want to stand out in the crowd or be noticed, because we are such a small universtity that everybody knows everybody. Everyone also has to take some responsiblity on campus it seems. So if somone just wants to go to school and never be noticed, McMurry would not be the choice for them.

Allison

Reasearch! And talk to the students at the school, lots of them. Ones that aren't suppoused to tell you its great.

Benjamin

Don't go according to sports, name, prestige, etc. -- go for what feels right. I had never heard of McMurry University before, but I couldn't be happier that I go there. I attended the University of North Texas my freshman year of college, and was completely lost at that school. McMurry's much smaller -- 1,200 students. With a school that size, the community vibe and ability to become easily involved in campus life is incredible. It's hard to walk across campus with out almost knowing everyone you pass. A student should go to the school that they feel like they fit in, without just disappearing into the crowd of students. A large school is easy to become alienated by -- but with a small school, instead of being alienated, you'll only become more and more involved as you meet more people and have new experiences.

No -- the school's social atmosphere and willingness to help students out makes up for it.

The most frustrating thing about McMurry is that it seems most of the school's income goes towards the athletics departmend instead of different academic facilities.

Leonor

Friendly, friend/family orientated, You never feel like you are lost in a crowd.

To find the right college you need to do research. Don't just go to the college that everyone talks about, it might not be the right one for you. Find a college that best fits your home life (since it is the most comfortable environment) if you don't mind the busy busy busy, and you have to fend for youself most of the time and still keep you head way above water, go to a bigger school, but if you want a more friend and teacher oriented place, pick a smaller one. Remember it's not the parents choice, you as a student choose what you want to do with the rest of your life, choose what you want.

McMurry University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.