East Lansing, MI
Michigan State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Michigan State University

The campus can be overwhelmingly large at first, but after a couple weeks you discover shortcuts you can take to get to classes quicker and easier, making the campus seem so much smaller. I find its a 15 minute stroll to any class within a reasonable distance from my apartment. That walk can be peaceful if you take the river trail, watchin the river flow by and the ducks playing in it. The "downtown" area on Grand River is one part that I wished was bigger with more shops. Walking up and down that gets old after the first couple of times.. There is a ton of school pride everywhere you go. If you yell "GO GREEN!" you will be responded with a "GO WHITE" no matter where you are. People are proud to be Spartans, and the football games show it. My advice: buy football tickets. It will be your best investment at MSU, besides the education of course.

Most students find a good group of friends to hang out with when they move into the dorms freshman year, so no one really feels out of place. There are many clubs you can join on campus if you do feel out of place, then you can make friends there. If you dont walk away from MSU with at least a few good friends, you didn't work hard enough to put yourself out there. There is no poplular group, jock group, goth group or nerd group anymore like there was in high school. Everyone becomes friends with everyone, reguardless of race, gender, or age. You end up meeting people through your friends, and meet more people through their friends, and the next thing you know, you have a huge group that you could chill with. Its all about not being shy and getting yourself out there meeting people

If you choose to go down that path they can be. I've seen my share of people who party every night, thus fail out of school. But thats a very low percent of the total MSU population. The University offers many other things to do besides partying on the weekends and during the week, varying from free movies to free pool and bowling, concerts, craft night, and other various activities that the UAB sets up.

I just encourage everyone to join at least one club or team while they are at MSU, you make a lot of new friends and do a lot of cool things, and have a great time.

The basic level courses are the classes that have 300 people in it. Once you start getting into your sophomore and junior year, these numbers die down durastically to the 30s. Dont be daunted by the mass lecture halls, you can still get to know your professors through their office hours. If you dont understand something, go to their office hours and ask for help. They are definitely a life saver. As for studying and reading, you have to take time to do it in order to get a good GPA. My favorite class so far was CJ 110 with Chermak. He was a great professor, he knew a lot about the subject. Least favorite class - ISS 215 or CSE 100, or any other basic University required class. Just seemed pointless and a waste of time. MSU is definitely geared towards getting a job. With my major - Parks, Rec, and Tourism, you have to go out and get 2 internships before you can graduate. That really helps you once you are turned loose from the school and have to find a job.

UAB is definitely a popular organization on campus when you dont feel like partying. There are tons of things to do besides party on a weekend. They put on lots of activities for people to enjoy, and most of them are free. Football and Basketball games are definitely a must for the sports enthusiast. They are full of energy and spartan pride and cheering, you'll wish everyday was game day. Students in the dorms are encouraged to leave their doors open, thats how you meet people. People will wander around into dorm rooms and chat it up with the person living there, hoping to become friends during the first week there. That is really how I met all of my friends, they lived in my hall freshman year. People could party every night of the week if they wanted to. A small amount do, but most people wait until the weekends to let go of stress and relax. It's really not as big of a party school as people make it out to be.

A lot of people say its a party school, not really an education, blow off classes and whatnot.

Allison

The best thing about MSU is the people that go here! Everyone is extremely friendly and always looking to meet new people. Everyone is very open to new people and cultures, and genuinely interested in learning about you and getting to know you. Some people may assume since MSU is a huge school with around 45,000 students enrolled, that it would be hard to meet and make new friends but that's not the case! There's a ton of school pride at MSU. Everyone loves it and is proud to be a Spartan!

The student body is one of the greatest things about MSU. If I had to choose one word to describe MSU's student body it would be "diverse." There is such a wide range of cultures, religions, races, nationalities, political opinions, and socio-economic groups on campus; the best part about it is that everyone is genuinely open and friendly, and willing to accept each other. People also seem eager to learn about new people that may not be the types of people they're used to in their hometowns. The greatest thing about the student body is that everyone is extremely friendly and open to making new friends!

Yes and no. People like to have a good time at MSU and definitely know how to party, but that's not all we do at MSU! Most people take their academics very seriously. I'm proud of MSU and my fellow Spartans because most of us are extremely well rounded. We can have fun while still taking academics seriously, and taking pride in our athletics as well.

One thing that surprised me about Michigan State is that there are also a number of smaller classes available. Many people assume that since it's such a huge university that there are only huge lectures for classes, but that's not the case. I've had classes with 20 people and with as many as 600. I believe this gives you the full college experience, since MSU offers a wide variety of class sizes. There is also a variety of types of classes available to be taken. I'm a business major and have taken classes in anthropology, nutrition, and history. There are countless subjects that you can take up for your electives. I'm really happy with how knowledgable all my professors are about the subjects they are teaching, as well. I feel like all of my instructors were experts in their field and that I learned a great deal from them. Also, professors make themselves available outside of class either through office hours or through e-mail if you have a quick question. I think MSU is geared toward getting a job as well as learning or its own sake. As a business major, I'm required to take classes in physical, biological, and social sciences, as well as writing and arts and humanities. When I leave MSU, I will be confident that I have a wide range of knowledge and can carry on a conversation about any subject.

MSU activites and social life are great! There are endless clubs or groups you can join, for literally any interest. Athletics are extremely popular. Football games are soo much fun, and thousands of students have season tickets and faithfully attend, including myself. Basketball is, of course, very popular at MSU as well. I met my closest friend on the bus! We ended up being roommates second semester and her and her friends from high school are my best friends now. We just signed a lease for an apartment next year, and we're ready for another year of good times being roommates! On a typical weekend, I'll probably go out two nights. Another night might be spent watching movies with friends or just hanging out. There's no pressure to party but there are definitely opportunities to party if that's what you want to do!

Dan

MSU is a huge school, a city of its own. Most of the students are white and wealthy, and most of the majors are very easy. Therefore, it is a huge party school. It's easy to get lost in the party scene and put academics at the bottom of the priority list, especially considering the freedom of living on one's own for the first time in a party environment. Most students drink at least once or twice a weekend (which is Thursday-Sunday for MSU). The parties are great, they are very fun for most underclassmen and offer a good way to meet other students. I had a great time at MSU, but I definitely partied too much. The challenge for you may be to find a balance in the party life and the rest of life. School will occupy only a small fraction of your time in the dorms, so make sure to spend some of your spare time doing things that do not involve getting black-out drunk. I would strongly recommend getting active in at least one campus organization, there are plenty out there that will interest you. It's too easy to slip between the cracks and look back on the day of your graduation without remembering more than a handful of Friday and Saturday nights. Keep your drinking in check, this is a town of alcoholics. But since it is such a big school, there are plenty of ways to enjoy your time without getting shwasted.

Lots and lots and lots of alcoholics. Fun, safe, happy drunks for the most part, but still drunks. Be careful not to become one of them, even if you love getting drunk sometimes. Try not to become the guy who is wasted three days a week for five years. I already did that and I regret it. There are a lot of good people at State, the parties are great because you are automatically accepted into the social group of any house or apartment party simply because of your status as an MSU student.

Easy. Way easier than you expect.

Ang

Great Big 10 University. Very gorgeous campus to walk through outside. Very diverse university, well known for Study Abroad! People are very open-minded and friendly in general. Very fun but also well known in many academic areas.

Yes, but as with any college there are parties. There are a lot of responsible students too, but there a lot of different options!

The Eli Broad College of Business is ranked nationally. There are many larger lecture halls, but later in your career you will get smaller classes, especially in your exact major.

Erin

Definitely a college town. TONS of school pride! I always felt happy walking around campus and feeling like I was a part of it. It's beautiful and always made me smile. You meet the best people here. There are a lot of different types of people, but for the most part everyone is friendly and outgoing. I thought it was just right in size. Even with 45,000 people on campus, you always see people you know. But you also always have new people to meet. It was never overwhelming. Any smaller probably would have been underwhelming and boring for me. I like options. These were, without a doubt, the best four years of my life. Choosing this school was the best decision I've made in my life so far. I don't spend any time at the library, but most people do. My time is mostly spent with friends at my place (dorm or apt.) or at theirs. A lot of time is also spent on Grand River, (getting food, etc). Classes can be far away, but you figure out quickly the best way to get to them. It also gives you a lot more to explore. The most recent controversy on campus was Cedar Fest. A bunch of kids rioted for no reason and half of them didn't even go to MSU. Everyone just wanted to be able to say they were a part of something and it was an embarassment to people that actually take pride in the institution. In 2005, students didn't do anything disorderly. In 2008 it was embarassing, but I'm glad to say it wasn't all MSU students. Try all the different cafeterias...there are a lot and they all have different things to offer. Lafayette Square in Brody Complex is one of my favorites. They serve pasta, breadsticks, salad, and great cookies. Just trust me, if you like pasta you'll love this.

There are a lot of different people here, but almost everyone is easy to get along with. Since I'm not a minority, I haven't noticed very many problems with certain groups being left out or ostersized. I don't think it happens too often, but maybe certain groups see it differently from their perspective. For the most part, I think MSU students are very accepting. Most students wear sweatpants to class, especially if it is early. But again, this ranges. Some people dress all cute and some wear pajamas. It's also different day-to-day. No one really looks out of place no matter what they wear.

I love this school. It will always be a part of me. I'll miss these times for the rest of my life. Don't get too consumed in school. Play as hard as you work. You'll regret not balancing the two out. In the end, you can retake a class but you can't relive memories. Think about that. What will truly make you happy? Honestly, there is something at this school for everyone. You just have to figure out what fits best for you.

Partiers. Always have something to celebrate.

Since the student body is so big, the academic experience is different for everyone. It really depends on what you major in. For the most part, your first, most general classes will be very large lecture halls and the teacher won't know your name. Then as you get to more specific classes, the classes get smaller and you know your teachers and classmates. The difficulty of classes really depends on the classes you take and your major, too. As a psychology student, I feel I got off pretty easy. I probably played harder than I worked and got pretty close to graduating with honors. I didn't get too close to any professors, mostly because of the size of the classes. My smaller classes weren't interesting enough to me to try to get to know them very well. Some people do, though. Everything at this school is pretty much what you make of it. It all depends. You have the opportunity for almost anything. You can cater your life at MSU to yourself.

Use the dorms as your prime meeting place when you first get here - you may still be friends with the people you meet there when you graduate. I'm always awake at 2 am on a Tuesday. Usually dicking around on the internet and talking to people. People party every day. If you want to go out, you always have that option. But it is what you make of it. Some people never party and some always do. Weekends start on Thursday. St. Patty's Day is huge for MSU. GREEN and BEER...2 things we love. Halloween is also a big deal. Dress up just like you did 8 years ago. I'm more festive for holidays now than I was since I was 10 years old. We always find a reason to celebrate, and we do it big. Go to at least one football game. Everyone here has Spartan Spirit and it's fun even if we lose. Get Izzone tickets if you can...basketball games are the absolute BEST.

MSU is all right! Some say that it's to big, but most students don't have class on the golf courses, farm land, or grazing pastures. It takes about 45 minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other, but the grounds are so beautiful you don't get a chance to think about it. The bus system is great, the CATA bus will basically take you anywhere, from one end of campus to the other, and off if you need to go. You can get to the mall, apartments off campus, whereever with as bus pass. There are plenty of places to study on campus, from the four floors in the main libaray, to the several smaller libaries for each college. Don't forget that the academic buildings have planty of space for studying too, there's always enough room to find your own secret study place. If you just need to get away, go off campus which is across tha street to Grand River. There's plenty to do from shopping, eating, and even some clubbing.

MSU is somewhat diverse, but not as much as it should be, just like any other university. As a Black student, sometimes I may be one of two students of color, but it doesn't bother me because I grew up with a very diverse background. The higher you get in your majors, the less faces of color you'll see, but the dorms are a different story. I'm sure the school does this on purpose, but nost of the stuendts with similar races tend to live together. In a way it helps because, I don't think Caucasion people would be able to help me if I asked to borrow bee's wax for my hair. It makes you feel somewhat more comfortable because your around people that may somewhat have similar habits and living styles like your own. There's always an exception, but you can always move to a dorm that you feel most comfortable in. Every kind of student is represented at MSU, from prepy to homely, very religious to hell bound, and so on. Truth be told, if you like it, there's already a club started just for you.

I really don't know to much about the social life beyond campus, because I never had enough time to party to that magnitude. However, MSU's UAB sponsors many events and activities for students, from free bowling, the free viewing of recent theatre movies, concerts, open mic nights, craft nights, carnivals, and sometimes free food. On finals you can get a free massage or spa day at the union for a study break. Plus, there's also the midnight scream during finals week when at 12am you can scream out of your window to release some stress.

most of the Professors I've encountered at MSU have been excellent, the good ones don't mind talking to you after class and giving a little extra help when it's needed. One of the professors knew exactly who I was and pick me out of a class of over 200 students after just one quick chat about homework. There'll aslo really understanding when real life happens too, as llong as you can in some way communicate with them, they'll help you out. I was able to leave a few days early for my aun'ts wedding and even got to turn in a few assignments late because my best friend had a baby. But don't do it to often because, they can smell through the bs. The bad part about academics at MSU, because the professors are so cool, it only compensates for the difficulty of the class. Some classes are a cake walk depending on the studnet, but I've been in classes where the curve was only thing keeping the very brightest students afloat. Don't sleep on it, because it'll come back to bite you.

Not in the least, every school has a few students who party all the time, but MSU is no different from any other prestigous college. Many of the students who do party at MSU are not even students of the college. They leave thier own schools to come and trash mine. It's ridiculous, because now the collge that I have to graduate from has the the bad rep, especially after the infamous "Cedar Fest."

MSU students are rowdy, hard partiers, they don't study, and they don't go to class.

Sami

MSU, is a great university, one of the best, our huge amount of school pride, the great amount of diversity around campus, the multiple study abroad programs, the beautiful campus, and the wide range of courses and majors. MSU is a great university to attend. While attending MSU I have not just learned academic wise, but I have learned a great deal about myself and my opinions on various subjects. MSU is a place of not only learning, but of growth.

MSU's student body is very diverse. I am friends with many people from different racial, ethnic, religious, etc. backgrounds. Even though they may look different from me they, we all relate easily. I am involved in one group called MRULE- Multi Racial Unity Living Experience where we talk about social and political injustics and issues. It has helped me become aware of the impact that segregation and racism has had on this country and others. I have noticed that many students tend to stick to their own racial backgroud, but I am one who is not afraid of bridgeing the racial barrior by being friends to all.

MSU is an excellent university to attend, because it has everything a student could want or need!

MSU's classes range very widely. One can take almost any class on campus and then many others in the study abroad program. Many teachers do not know my name, but there are a few that I have become personal with, that know my face and name. Classes are difficult, but very rewarding and fulfulling. I have not enjoyed many classes, but they have taught me to persivere against the odds and do my best.

MSU is not a party school, many students focus on their studies. Many belong to the multipe colleges within campus, proving their dedication to school work. There are many students that are higher income, predominantly white, but there is also many minorities and people on the lower end of the income scale, who thrive in MSU's academia.

Social Life is booming. There is always something to do. Attend local activites put on my the University Activities Board, attend Greek activities, hall and floor socials, hang out on Grand River, or chilling in a dorm room. Many people do party and drink, but there are many other better and wiser activities to do around campus.

Some stereotypes about MSU is that there are a lot of parties and nobody hardly ever studys and that MSU students are majority rich, white students that come from privileged households.

Terry

MSU pride is awesome! Every student turns into a spartan from the day they set foot here. The student body supports the sports teams through the the good times (basketball!) and the bad (football). When you're standing in the student section and everyone's cheering their loudest you can't help but be proud of being a part of something so huge. Speaking of huge, I was a little intimidated by MSU's size. Turns out I wouldn't have it any other way. You can always make a big institution smaller by getting involved with things you're interested in, but you can't make a small college bigger. MSU has everything and more to offer - there's even a coffee club here!

The campus here is diverse. There is one thing that almost everyone has in common though: friendliness. My first year here was eye-opening because I came from a town that wasn't diverse at all. People here have opinions and they aren't afraid to express them, but everyone is open to hearing about others' opinions. Almost 90% of the student body is from Michigan, but that's not to say you can't find anyone else - my roommate this year was from Laramie, Wyoming.

Classes here can be intimidating because some of them are pretty big. But, if you make the effort to get to know your professor, chances are they'll get to know you too. Go to office hours - the professors WANT to see you and they want to help you to the best of their ability. In general, the students here aren't competitive, they're cooperative. It's not uncommon for people to form study groups to help each other out, rather than worrying about other people scoring higher than they will.

There are definitely those who choose to get out of control, and it's unfortunate that these select few ruin MSU's reputation as a first-class institution. The vast majority of us here are serious about what we do. We know how to have fun, but most of us are smart enough not to let it interfere with grades.

When people hear the name MSU, they think that all we do here is party and riot (like Cedarfest, 2008). Many think that MSU is synonymous to alcohol abuse.

The friends I met my first year at State were all from my floor in the dorm. We were all very social and left our doors open from the beginning of the year, and everyone became very close. We all ate together at dinner and did various activities around campus together, like the free movies at the lecture halls on the weekends. None of us joined fraternities or sororities, but they are an important part of the student body. Many of the parties around here are at the frat houses.

Devin

- Stereotypes about MSU students are that we are not smart at all and that we party way too much. - People think MSU is inferior to the University of Michigan in every conceivable way.

- Both of these stereotypes are inaccurate. - MSU students are extremely intelligent and study hard. Partying is done occasionally and not more than any other school. - UofM and MSU both have programs in which they are strong in. For example, UofM has no journalism program so MSU is definitely the superior choice in that category.

Matt

The opportunities are endless. Academically and extraciricullarly there is no better place than MSU. If you cannot find the right major here then there is something wrong.

I find that most people here are similar minded to myself with a balance of study and socialization. I get along with almost every one here and enjoy my time spent with my classmates.

The best thing to do is check it out yourself, i was accepted everywhere i applied (including UofM) and based on my visit i knew east lansing and MSU was right for me.

Party School not focused on education more about the social aspect. Too big of a school to get a good education

No, i have found the exact opposite. If you are not a driven student there are pits and cracks you can fall into however this can happen at any school in my opinion.

I have found a major that fits me perfectly. I have a mix of big and small classes (18-300) and the education is priceless.

I love the atmosphere in East Lansing and there is so much to offer through the university that there is never a dull moment.

Michigan State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.