Fargo, ND
North Dakota State University-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend North Dakota State University-Main Campus

Elise

I would like to tell myself as a high school senior to spend time investigating what most interests me. Taking an independent study class rather than an elective that doesn't suit my interests is most beneficial. Independent study provides space for creativity and allows research. In senior year, I should have been alotting time for a workshop while balancing after-school track practice with an AP Studio Art workload. An extra 70 minutes to study well-known artists' techniques and styles and practice applying those skills would have been transformative for my portfolio. An alternative to independent study is co-op. Integrating work experience with a school schedule teaches a senior the value of working experience relative to her goals. College is similarly a time for internships and jobs that can support my studies and further my involvement with the art community in my city. Aside from focusing intensely on my art practice, senior year should be for defining who I am as that artist. Participating in Grand Rapids' ArtPrize competition after high school was transformative. My senior self should seek out more galleries, competitions, chances for publication, and most importantly, opportunites to speak and write about my vision.

Alexandar

North Dakota State University is a small campus with a very homey feel. Stretching no more than a couple of blocks NDSU seems large and intimidating at first, but with little time NDSU begins to feel like home. Just like the comfort of your own living room, NDSU’s campus is comforting as well. Scared, Fear, and Intimidation are emotions that are rarely felt at on NDSU’s campus if ever. Campus is not only a place of study but also a place of gathering. The size and homey feel of campus makes me glad that I chose NDSU.

Get out there! It sounds cliché I know, but without getting involved school is going to be just school and nothing else. You are going to be bored and bogged down by the same thing all the time. So as much as you are going to hate it at first go get involved in clubs, try new things, and don’t be shy to meet new people after all you aren’t the only new kid. If you don’t listen to this you will find this to be your only regret. If you don’t start early and put yourself out there before you know it you will be done with college with no other experiences other than studying and school work. There are more things to college than that. It’s also a place to discover yourself to see what you really like and who you really are as an independent. This knowledge is not gained from sitting in your room all the time, this is priceless knowledge that you gain from the people you meet and the new things you try. The only way to do this is by just simply getting out there.

One thing that I wish I had known before coming to North Dakota State University is how fast time will go by. With little warning deadlines come out of nowhere. If I had known this coming into college I would have not waited for deadlines and got things done ahead of time. Doing things ahead of schedule eliminates massive amounts of stress, and even frees up time for activities otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do. If I would have known this I guarantee college life would have taken me down a different, better, and less stressful path.

Matthew

When you get to college, sell your xbox and don't buy that laptop, buy a external hard drive and a few flashdrives. The school has plenty of resources available 24/7 so you don't need to have that new laptop. Sell the xbox because it is a distraction and you can use all that extra time to take advantage of all the resources NDSU has to offer. Also, go to those new student things you never know who you will meet. Finally I'd get the winning lottery ticket numbers for a predetermined date, mark them down, and give them to my former self.

The focus on STEM fields. They do a lot to keep on the leading edge of technology on campus and are currently building a new state-of-the art STEM facility. On top of that, the professors often really care about student success. Which is surprising given that teacher to student ratio is incredibly high with my lowest class being 1-22 (which happened once) and the average being about 1-41 from what I've experienced.

A person who needs low student to faculty ratio to feel welcomed to this school.

Brooke

While NDSU's campus is fairly large, the students that attend this university are friendly, welcoming, and very religious. They make it a point to welcome any new student into the Bison family and help them make the transition into college life. During times of crisis, the students rally together with open arms to offer support to anyone who needs it.

If I were to go back to my high school self and give her advice about what to expect in college, I would first tell myself not to make a big deal about the transition. It was a very easy transition from high school to college and I spent a lot of my time stressing about it. The next thing I would tell myself is to go out and make the most of the opportunities presented to me. I would tell myself to join clubs, go to church related organizations, talk to the girl down the hallway. During my first semester, I spent a lot of time in my room, or only going out with my room mate instead of meeting new people. Finally, I would tell my high school self not to bring so many clothes. It's very hard packing clothes into a tiny dresser, especially when a lot of them are clothes that you aren't going to wear.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the large number of students in each class. I'm very used to having a class with about twenty students in it, so coming into a classroom that can have as many as three hundred students in it is not only intimidating, it's very frustrating because I feel like I could be just another number to the professors.

Margalit

My classmates are very friendly and very proud of their school, though they tend to stay in same-race/culture/religion groups...

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I'm going to miss home more than thought I would; that I'm going to call my mom every day, and she'll be thrilled. I'd tell myself that it's going to be difficult sometimes, and I'll feel like giving up, but that everything will work out once I push through it. I'd tell myself that teachers aren't just talking textbooks -- they are people who care about your success, and have a great wealth of knowledge, resources, and experience to share with you. I'd tell myself not to worry about making friends -- everyone else will be worrying about the same thing, and conversations will naturally pop up! I'd tell myself that I am strong and capable, and that I am on the path that will take me the farthest.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the price of the education.

Joseph

North Dakota State University is focused on providing a supportive learning environment to prepare students for future careers and research positions.

My classmates are very willing to assist with course materials as well as provide sensible out of class distractions.

I was always told that getting good grades was the most important thing in college; however, I have learned that being involved with extracurricular activities such as research projects and Student Government is just as important. These activities prepare you for your future career. You learn skills that you cannot learn in the classroom. You meet people and develop a network of contacts. These people end up being your friends, colleagues, advisers, and potential employers. They can help you decide what career is best for you or let you know if you are pursuing a career that you will never enjoy. The people you know can be as important as everything else you learned in college. If you want to be successful, you need both the information and the contacts. That is the advise that I would give myself as a high school senior.

Priya

My school is very organized and fun and has a lot of choices for classes and majors.

I would tell myself to take a lot of AP classes and do well in all my classes. Apply for more scholarships and accept more loans so that I can have extra money to buy books and not run out. You should always check if your professors give good notes and how well they teach at ratemyprofessor.com. Talk to other upperclassmen in your major about which classes to take and which professors are the best. Always stay organized and make sure to always stay on top of your assignments becasue you're expected to do your own work. You need to take responsibility for yourself, in college you have to propel yourself to study a lot more than you do in high school. Take extensive notes and study a lot before test. Due to large lecture halls you don't always have the opportunity to talk to professors so you should go and talk to them and don't wait too long to get help when you're having trouble. Join a club so that you can make new friends. Always stay optimistic, a good attitude and knowing how to handle stress is very important for your success.

Hardworking students who like big lecture halls, many different cultural students, and a lot of fun activities and clubs.

Nicholas

North Dakota State University combines excellent opportunities to excel in academics with a strong foundation of community to make for a successful and rewarding college experience.

Keep doing what you are doing. Next year, you are about to go through a transformation that you cannot plan for. Look for ways to become a better leader, encourage others to strengthen their leadership abilities, and give it all you've got. When you look back on your freshman year of college, I want you to know that you tried your best and made an incredible impact on the school. Look to other people if you ever need help and do not try to do everything by yourself because it is not possible. Your parents are not with you and they will not be helping you pay for college, but don't get discouraged because they support your every step. Apply for as many scholarships as you can so that you don't need to focus on money as much. The most important thing is your education. Things will go wrong, and family members will be sent to prison. Keep a level head and be the best that you can be, and there is no doubt that you will persevere. Stay strong and look to the future. There are better days ahead.

The worst thing about our school is its location. Fargo is windy and cold. It is be reasonable to assume there will be snow on the ground in late October.

Monserrat

The transition from high school student to college student proved to be difficult for me. I was one of those students that didn't try in school but regardless managed to received a mix of good and great grades without effort in challenging courses. In college I tried to continue these habits because it worked well for me. I immediately found out that this was not the way to approach my college courses. College though it's a continuation of your education is its vastly different. The professors treat you like the type of person you are: an adult. They aren't going to remind you of homework assigments. Some profesors don't even assignment homework, which sounds nice right? Well, if there's no homework then your grade is solely based on tests, if you fail the tests you fail the class. I've never had a test curved since I started college, and no help is given to you. You are an adult now, and if you need something get it yourself. If I could I would have told myself to read accordingly to the schedule, and to ask for help the instant I seemed to be struggling.

Brycen

I would explain how college is, and tell myself to continue on the academic path, not to let any feelings hold me back. College is very different than high school, both socially and academically. The classes are strict with deadlines and expect the best from all of us. They are easy to manage at first, however, the later terms become more and more challenging. It may seem overwhelming at first, but in time you will get used to the concept. Another factor is work, class schedules need to work out with the work schedule if income were to meet above expenses. Lastly, there is more to life after graduation, if you feel you didn't do well in your adolescent years, there will be time in your adult life to make it up. College gives people keys to opportunities, and those opportunities open gates to what one really wants to fulfill in their life.

North Dakota State University-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.