Chicago, IL
Northeastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northeastern Illinois University

Ellen

I understand that high school is very stressful. You have incredible drive to get to college where life will magically become better. That is only half-truth. Life does get better when you get out of high school. College is a wonderful place of opportunity, self-discovery and freedom. However, with freedom, there comes a cost. My biggest advice to high school "Ellen" is to find self-love, confidence and gratitude because you can be your own worst enemy. When you leave home, you are leaving behind a built-in support system, which you currently resent because, well, you are a teenager. The fear and loneliness that comes with change is difficult to navigate. College is an easy place to become a recluse. You will find yourself desperately trying to control your life and hide your feelings. However, fight self-destructive urges, fake confidence, and it will eventually start to become real. You are a kind, quirky, intelligent person that people want to know! Force yourself to branch out and find that support system, so when you are having hard days, you have someone to reach out to...someone who will help stop you from getting in your own way.

As a returning adult student, my personal opinion on the best thing about my school is how accommodating and understanding they are to the unique needs of their students. They have many options to ensure that those that truly want their degrees have the opportunity to receive their degrees.

Northeastern Illinois University is a good fit for a wide variety of people. If you are a student looking for a school that excells in diversity and flexibility, this is the school for you.

Doinita

It is afordable, not very expensive. Have a very good reputation. I really love the International Program they offer, so student can study abroad. I also love the shows at the University, plays, jazz, orchestra, free for students.

Read, read, and read more. Nothing can make you feel happy, excited, and erudite as a good book. News, textbooks, magazines, novels, just read. Make up your mind, think fast, decide what you would like to be, and do it. Take the classes. Do not be undecided. Stay close to the ones you admire most, your role models. They can teach and help a lot from their experience. Call, talk and ask for help, for advice, for guidance. Do not think you know everything. Do not be a hypocrite, a selfish, or a greedy. Do not be lazy, banal, caustic, capricious, despotic, invidious, irascible, phlegmatic, naïve, or stubborn. Be punctual, meticulous, astute, perspicacious, harmonious, altruistic, funny, philanthropic, courageous, and lucid. Do not isolate, and do not hesitate to make friends, to talk to people, to work, to volunteer, and to interact. Do not waste 3 years after high school to raise the nephew, the sister can find a nanny. Do not marry or have kids at 21 years old, or when you are in school. Finish college, live your life, go out, have fun. You can find a husband any time, but you can never turn back the time.

I had to buy a car to get to school. There are no easy ways to get to this University. I hoped that there would be buses to conect the school with the two elevated trains that are in the area, not very close, though.

Lechuga

NEIU has a great environment as well as great teachers that actually care about your learning.

Sandra, I understand that you might think that high school is not as important as you might think, but its one of the foundations that will help you for the rest of your life. Not only will it help you for the rest of your life, but it will help with most of college experiance. College will be easier if you pay attention in high school. Placing high on your placement test and on the ACT is also very important. Thats what high school teachers are for, they are there to prepare you for the challenges that you might face in the future. When placing high on the placement test, that gets you right away to college level and you can start taking the proper classes that you need. If you place low, you have to start in lower classes that do not count towards your major and it will take you longer to complete college. I hope that after reading this you will take my advice and work harder in these High school years. College will be easier and funner if you work hard now.

The fact that NEIU is not as expensive as other schools and still can get the degree that you are looking for.

DIMITRA

My classmates have a hectic life, and are only on campus for their education - then leave after classes.

Dear HS Me, College is just around the corner! Have you been thinking about what exactly you would like to persue in the future? Remember Mom and Dad aren't going to be able to help you financially for college, so you are on your own! Make sure you look into colleges that will have classes that will further help your future career goals. And don't choose a very expensive school that will cause you to take out lots of loans and end you in debt! You'll then end up transferring to a less expensive school - but it won't have all that you want in terms of classes! Future you regrets the initial college decision. Keep your grades up and try to get scholarships! You are smart, I promise you that. Don't let some challenging subjects get you down - you can do this! You have been very strong these past couple years with all that you are dealing with at home! You still get up everyday, you still go to school, you still have a job. You are responsible. College will be tough, but WE CAN DO THIS. Good Luck. Love, Future You.

I am apart of a student ran organization, and we just do not get the help from higher up departments that we need. We plan the events for the students on campus and the community, and since we are a commuter school we try to attract as many people as possible to get involved and/or attend and when we reach out to the higher up administartors to help us do so we are often let down.

Connie

The environment is peaceful and extremely diverse. It allows students to interact with one another and from different cultures. The various extra curricular activity clubs enables students to get a sense of belonging and in learning from cultures other than their own. The staff and faculty work very well with students and assuring that students can meet their academic needs with tutoring services, available resources, and establishing great communication relationships with those that are a part of the university. I have never felt as an outcast while here and am confident that my decision to be was a right one.

The journey that you will embark after graduating high school will be an even more difficult one in which you must take seriously and commit to as you approach the upcoming educational endeavors as if you are extremely ravenous for. You must convince yourself that your life will highly depend on the choices that you will be facing during your transition in the world of independence while in college. The opportunities that will be introduced to you during your college years will be transitory as your high school years have been but a preparation for changes in your adult life and future. Ensure that once accepting your journey in pursuing a higher academic educational challenge, you are confident in accepting all the trials that will come before you during those years. Learning to organize and prioritize will be some of the qualities that you will soon learn to dominate in the realm of education. Do not be discouraged of the required transformations that you will face but surrender yourself to the new environment in which you find yourself in and acquire what you are entitled to – an education. Take a hold and control of your goals and never lose focus.

I often times feel that the Professors should be provided with more resources and technological devices that can benefit the classroom lectures. It is my belief that more should be done to ensure that staff and faculty have available resources and funding to make the learning experience they want to offer to their students more rewarding, whereas students are at times required to financially take the expense of outside learning experience on their own. More funding for students should be accessible and available to students of all economic status in which eases the stress of financial hardships and school.

Kira

Dear Self, I know that almost every day you can't help but think "I can't wait to graduate! I'm tired of high school!", but try to enjoy it while you can. I, your grown-up, 20-year old self, wishes that you would slow down and do a little more. I know you can be rather lazy, but please join all of those clubs that you think are too time-consuming and "pointless". Also, pick up the slack and apply for more scholarships! I know you're frustrated because most of the ones available to you are for Native Hawaiians, Filipinos, Samoans, ect, but take to the internet and apply to all that you can! Trust me! You're not going to like your first job for very long! The more scholarships you have, the less you'll be stuck in that stupid blue uniform picking up the shoes and apparel that grown adults are too incapable to put back correctly! Remember to smile more, laugh more, love more, and keep rocking on with Kpop. Vixx hwaiting! With lots of love, regret, and hope, Your adult self, Kira.

Patricia

What is unique about Northeastern is the amount of programs they have in place. Northeastern goes out of the way to let students know what programs are available to help them and make college life a stress free and growing experience for them. In one month's time, I have had the priviledge of speaking to a number of academic adviors, I've been assigned a mentor for my class and major. I have also encountered their leadership programs which offers mentorship and numerous workshops.

If I could advice my high school self I would say to her: Patricia, you have had a rough start and no child should have to endure the suffering you have. Just know the road you are traveling will not be easy but stay focused and remember your goals because your struggles will serve a greater purpose later. You should know that you are intelligent, beautiful and worthy of respect and love. That love will come when it is supposed to, but you must first love yourself to recognize it. Keep your heart and mind on God and your studies; when your intuition tells you a guy is all wrong for you, you should RUN like the wind. From here until our dying days, I urge you to trust yourself, believe in yourself and most importantly, love yourself.

When talking about Northeastern, I reflect on how their advisors have guided me from the moment I visited the campus. My first visited to meet with advisors regarding two fields of study I was interested in. The advisors referred me to the non-traditional degree department. Leary of this advice, I proceeded to the department and found it was the best decision I could have made. I am now a returning adult student majoring in Psychology. The best part is I saved money because my former credits were accepted and I did not have to repeat courses needlessly.

Dalia

"Wake up! The clock is ticking and you're still in bed doing absolutely nothing but sleep." "You can sleep all you want when you're dead." If I had a time traveling machine that is definitely something I would be saying to myself on September, 2013. I would push my limits over sea so I would know everything I know now before submitting my last minute decision on May 1, 2013. As a high school senior one cathces the common disease called "senioritis," meaning lazy to do anything. Unfortunantely, I was a target for this disease. If my mentality was stronger like it is now, I would not be doing this essay. I would have known that private colleges have different gen eds. Plans do not always go as one plans them, and it would be very expensive... to purchase books and commute (because there is no sufficient funds to afford dorming at a private university.) The whole "dream school" is a dream, but one has to WORK for that dream. I was vise versa, dreaming and then working in it. Wake up, drink coffee and complete your research, the bed is not going anywhere, but you will!

The campus size and the diversity of the campus. The campus size is great because it is accessible for classes, everything is at our walking distance relating to school and tansportation. The campus is very alive. There is always something to do sort of like at a restauarant, everyones always socializing and enjoyiing their stay on campus. The diversity makes the campus a learning community, where one learns something new each day. The professors are very resourceful and respond quickly to their emails, the campus has a very uplifiting spirit of its own.

The one worst thing about the school would be some class sizes. I have a class where the temperature is very bipolar and the chairs are always moving. The chairs have wheels so im always afraid that i will slide away and hurt myself. Also, the small desk that the chairs have is uncomfortable, my supplies are constantly falling down or rolling away everywhere.

Assil

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would apply for more scholarships and have FAFSA done earlier. Study hard from the begging, turn my work on time a, don’t be lat to classes, and talk to people who are majoring the same major as I do. Get involved in activates, tutoring and clubs. Be careful when Im choosing my classes. Have a positive attitude about everything that has happened. I would have taken advantage of my grade, teachers and tests. Keep in touch with my teachers who helped me a lot to stay on track with grades, tests, and homework. I would’ve liked to visit the university couple of times before the school year started. That would have helped me know the departments, and where my classes would be located, I don’t have to get lost when the school starts. Talk to my advisory all the time especially when I decide my major or what classes I want to take or what I have to do after the four year college. In conclusion I will be more careful about college and what I want to major in.

I would’ve liked to visit the university couple of times before the school year started. That would have helped me know the departments, and where my classes would be located, I don’t have to get lost when the school starts. Talk to my advisory all the time especially when I decide my major or what classes I want to take or what I have to do after the four year college. In conclusion I would be more careful about what I’m going to do in college because it helped me a lot.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would apply for scholarships and have FAFSA done earlier Study hard from the begging, turn my work on time don’t be lat to classes, and talk to people who are majoring the same major as me. Get involved in activates; tutoring and clubs Be careful when choosing my classes. Have a positive attitude about everything that happened. I would have taken advantage of my grade and teachers. Keep in touch with my teachers who helped me a lot to stay on track

Assil

If I could go back in the time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would apply for more scholarships and have financial aid done earlier. Study hard from the beginning, turn homework's on time and talk to people who major the same my major, that help me to know what classes I have to take or what I'm going to do after the four-year of university. Involved in activities and clubs helps to communicate with student and make you learn more about the university. Choose the classes carefully and drop it earlier. I have to be positive about everything happened I don't have to take advantage because of my grades or teachers just studey. Being in touch with my teachers help me a lot to keep on track with homework, grades, and tests. I like to visit my university couple times before the school start that help me know the departments and where are my classes. Talk to my advisory all the time especially when I get confused about my major or my classes. That's what I want if I could go back and talk to myself as high school senior.

I consider northeastern university is the best school because classes’ size is only 19, student could involve in many clubs and activities, teachers staff are nice and also it’s easy to be close to your teachers. A lot of programs that offered for students. they offer a lot of help for disability students, students struggle with homework’s they do have to support learning center help student with homework’s

I would brag the learning support center because they help a lot with homework’s and they do have workshops that help the freshman student to know more about the university.

Northeastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.