Chicago, IL
Northeastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northeastern Illinois University

Chris

Chicago commuter school with many different ethnic backgrounds.

Chicago commuter school with many different ethnic backgrounds.

Very diverse students from all backgrounds and ethnicities.

Dear Chris, You are now a junior at Northeastern, well done. It has taken you along time to get to this point, but I wouldn't change too much. I suggest you take the same route I took, but be more dedicated to your studies, and get through community college in only 2 years instead of 7. Continue to devote time to family, but also make time for your studies. Stay close to home and attend CLC and Northeastern, you will see later that those are great choices and you get the opportunity to spend as much time with dad before he passes. Try a few different classes and dabble in some different endevours, but ultimately realize that your love lies with kids; pursue your degree in education and get through college so we can finally teach and mold some young minds. On days when you don't feel like going to class, remind yourself that that is unacceptable. On days you feel like giving up or dropping out, think of what dad would say. In the end whatever you do is your choice, but do what you love. And either way our family will be proud of us. Chris.

Cara

Diverse culturally, intellectually and socioeconomically.

Diverse culturally, intellectually and socioeconomically.

Cara, You are about to embark on an extremely fun, tumultous and life changing road. It will seem like you are unsure of what to do at times...but I STRONGLY encourage you to stick it out and stay in school. It will never be as achievable as it is now to finish your degree. Yes, you will be experiencing things you have never experienced. Relationships, independence and financial stress; but hold true to your goal of finishing school. Don't fret over what Major to choose. Follow your heart and believe in your gifts and trust that you have something that the world needs. If you make mistakes and fall completely down on your face...get up and carry on. Making a mistake here may feel like the end of the world, but believe me it is no where near as hard and as painful as the mistakes you will make when you drop out of school "for awhile" to live with your boyfriend. Choosing another person other than yourself will derail you for the next twenty years! Please trust me when I tell you, you are valuable and the world needs you!

I tell them that I have really good professors for really good tuition and I feel like it's the best kept secret in this city!

Melissa

I never had any guidance when I was a high school senior. I would go back and tell myself to be sure to take placement tests and to do my best at studying. I would prepare better for entering college and apply for good schools and extra scholarships. I would also reassure myself that I can do it and that I wll do great no matter what!

There is no housing available. I think it would benefit more students.

Waiting to hear about financial aid.

Erica

Having completed a full year of in college, I would give myself advice as a highschool senior in Financial, abstinence, and dedication. To begin with financially based, if I could go back in time I would choose to save money. I would have started working as soon as possible so that I could save up for my college career. Instead of spending my money on things that were not necessary, I would open a savings account for college only. I would have also started applying for a lot of scholarships back then. I do realize the importance that financial plays in the college life. Following financial, I would give myself would be the importance of abstinence. I would give myself and other students to practice abstinence because being a single parent of a two year old is extremely difficult at times when pursuing a degrees. Being a full time mom, a part time worker and a full time student is a challenge everyday. Homework and studying comes hard to accomplish when you have to give attention to your baby. I would encourage young girls like me to really think about the consequences that come when having a baby before college.

The best thing about my school is the students and staff. Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help out. I've never felt out of place or felt like they were rude or unfriendly. They are very determined and committed to what they are going for. I can easily make friends and have a great communication with the students and teachers.

I wish i had known that there was a lot of different scholarships offered, so that i could get started on them right away.

jessica

If I new what i know now, I would tell myself to be more prepared. I would tell myself to not rely on everything the counselors say, and do some research of my own. I would tell myself to look more into public universities than private ones, because the financial burden associated with public colleges is not as great. Most importantly, I would tell myself to breathe. I spent most of my senior worrying about getting out of Calumet city, IL, when I should have been worried about the kind of schools I was applying too. My G.P.A. and credentials made me cocky so I wasn't worried about getting scholarship money, because obviously the schools would be knocking down doors to get to me, right? No, I was extremely wrong. I didn't realize that their were thousands, even millions of other students out there with just as good an academic track record as me. I would tell myself to breathe, and take it slow. I spent my senior year doing everything in a rush, because I assumed the first to turn everything in, gurraneteed an easy college existence.

I wish I had known all the oppurtunities for scholarships and grants ahead of time. It seems like colleges don't just automatically give you information, you have to go on a scavenger hunt for them, and sometimes by the time you find what your looking for, you will have missed the deadine.

A person who is open to diversity. A student who knows that at this school the teachers will know your name and maybe even some of your person information. The class sizes are small so they are fully aware of everything, so if you want good recommendations, then it's in your best interest to do what your supposed to.

Jaymie

The first and most important piece of advice I could give myself is to always believe in my dreams and never doubt how far they can take me. I would say that giving up should never be an option for someone as strong as I am and that there is always a positive to every negative. I would tell myself to try harder to finish the things I start and that every bit of hard work counts even if recognition isn’t acknowledged right away. I would prepare myself, as best I could, for the overwhelming experience that is college and that none of the anxiety in the world will change the fact that it has to be finished so that our dreams can come true. Above all else, I would remind myself to never forget to thank the people in my life who have helped me come this far and to never waste time listening to the ones who won’t carry me any further.

TIKETA

The best, affordable, and friendliest school I have ever attended.

The best, affordable, and friendliest school I have ever attended.

I would tell myself not to take a break from school. Apply for college as soon as you can. Set goals for yourself and stick with them. Accomplish all that you can when you get to college. Do not get involve with people who don't have your best interest at heart. Talk to your family about what you plan to do and what they can do to help you with your plans. Stay focused what's importatnt and what's in front of you. Don't be nervous. Talk to you advicing counselor at your highschool to help you in applying for colleges near and far away because sometimes it can be a great experience to go outside your comfort zone. Apply early for your classes. Try to apply for as many scholarships as you can to help with your education expenses. Don't apply or go to schools that your friends are applying to because that would be a distraction to you. Always mind your business and stay out of other people's business. Be a leader and not a follower. Choose your place and decide where it is you want to be and get there.

A person who isn't mature enough to accept critique. An imature person. A person who only wants to hang around their friends. A person who isn't ready to accept responsibility.

jessic

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to be more self-motivated. All throughout high school I procrastinated doing my homework and projects until the last minute which sometimes made me feel so stressed that I would end up not doing my work at all. I tend to block stressful things out of my mind and just forget about them, which usually results in multiple missing assignments and low grades. Knowing what I know now, I’d like to be able to tell myself that self-motivation is the key to good grades in college. I've learned that no one's going to step up to help me unless I ask for the help myself. I’m still adjusting to the responsibilities of being a college student. I know that it could take some time to change my usual habits of procrastination and relying on others, but when I graduate I know I will be proud of myself. I just wish that I could go back and tell myself to be more self-motivated In high school so that I could be ready for college beforehand.

At Northeastern Illinois University, I've had a lot of trouble getting help with financial aid. When I go into the financial aid department, the people who are there to help aren't very personable and don't seem to care about me personally, which makes me feel like I'm not fully being helped. Also, there is always a long line in the financial aid office because there is only one woman working behind the desk most of the time. I get very confused about financial aid so it would be nice to have more help understanding it.

I believe anyone could enjoy being a student at Northeastern. Northeastern offers programs to students who need help where advisors are available to help with homework and will even teach students how to relieve themselves from stress. This college is great for anyone because the tuition is acceptable and most of the teachers and advisors are nice and always willing to help their students. I also enjoy going to NEIU because the school has a very relaxed and comfortable ambience which, combined with the friendly teachers and advisors, creates a very homely environment.

Jenise

If I could go back, I would tell myself that college is a challenge. I would say that no matter what you have been through before now, none of it matters because college is a new playground, things are different. Hard work really does pays off, and studying is a must atleast 12 hours a week. Don't work as much as you would like to because having a full-time job while going to school full time gets in the way of your grades and it takes a serious toll on your body. Be patient and don't give up even when the work gets harder because chances are there is still a chance. Pick a field that you are passionate about because money isn't everything and Jenise, you know how you love and enjoy helping others. Take your time enjoy college and meet new people enjoy it while it last because if you work hard enough it will be over soon. Good luck!

The classroom size is small so you can get a chance to talk to your professor and get more help when needed.

Ebaa

It is best known for achieving degrees in education and for its students having the lowest debt rate.

Northeastern is a very diverse school, and that makes it different from the other schools i looked in to.

In highschool, little did i know that college success was not completely reliant solely on grades. I would have advised myself to form priorities, inorder to avoid becoming overwhelmed. Additionally, I would have advised myself to take breaks when needed and reduce pressure on myself. The most important piece of advice i would have like to recieve, would have been to find, as well as, uses available resources without hesitation.

Northeastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.