Nampa, ID
Northwest Nazarene University

Video courtesy of Northwest Nazarene University.

Find a college you truly love with Northwest Nazarene University, a Christian liberal arts university in Nampa, Idaho committed to excellence in all levels of learning while fostering the spiritual growth of its students. At NNU you can engage in hands-on internships, service-learning and mission opportunities, while continuing to grow in your faith in a supportive faith community.

View the Full Summary

Carolynn

I love NNU! It has an amazing community and amazing majors to choose from! I would (and have) recommend(ed) NNU to high school students looking for a college to call home and at which to find a school family that they feel they belong to! NNU's academics and their commitment to God is truly a testament to the school.

Alana

I would tell myself to maintain good grades, take college classes while in high school, and work towards scholorships. Kids do not understand how important school is. Take your youth and focus all of it on school like it is your full time job. You will thank yourself in the long run. But being the 18 year old that I was I simply did not understand this advice.

I wish I would have known to do better in high school. I wish I would have kept my grades up and gone to school right out of high school instead of doing it the hard route. Going to school full time and working full time is very difficult and when you are 18 you simply don't comprehend that.

I don't think there is anything bad about my school. You will never get anything you want and college is a great learning experience for that life lesson. It is better to learn it young and learn how to deal with it.

Liberty

I believe that fear is what grips most young people during a transition between high school and college- fear of the unknown, fear of leaving friends and family, fear of failure, etc. If I could tell my high school self one thing, it would be to abandon fear and wholeheartedly pursue my passions. I would say that if you play it safe, chances are you won't fail. But by playing it safe you are susceptible to an even greater risk of not being fulfilled, and that is much worse than failure. Dreams and ideas are scary, but not as scary as settling. I would urge myself to be vulnerable to both success and failure. In the vulnerability, dreams are fine tuned and gold is created. Put yourself out there, explore uncharted talents, take risks, do what you love, and do not fear a hypothetical situation. Finish the year with no words left unspoken, no ideas left lingering, no regrets of not taking risks. Enter college with a bravery that allows you to make friends, work hard, get involved, and change the world. Fear not; dream on.

NNU creates a positive community for students to flourish in. It truly is a home away from home for everyone who attends. The emphasis on community makes it easier to connect with people, to get involved, to express yourself in the classroom, and to grow as much as you can. There is indefinite support on the campus from both staff and students.

An individual with a positive outlook on life and a willingness to learn and explore thought should attend NNU. The classroom setting is one designed to cause the student to think outside of the box and to examine various options before coming to a conclusion. The atmosphere on campus is one of positivity and support, so a student who carried those character attributes would fit in best.

Ronny

If I could visit the Ronny Beech who is a senior in high school, I would tell him two things about college life: enjoy the ride and do as much as you can for other people. That's what it is about. Building relationships by investing in others around you and enjoying the things around you as much as possible. This means trying to build meaningfull relationships with professors and students, volunteering time during the week to community organizations/events and attending as many college events as possible such as athletic games and plays. I could delve into logistical advice, such as what classes to take and what to major in, but I won't. All of our hindsight bias is 20/20. All we can do at the time is make the decision we think is best and dive in. If you decide to change your major half way through college, it is pointless to wish you could go back and do it over the way you think you should have. No experience is a wasted experience if you invest in those around you and enjoy the ride.

Before I came to Northwest Nazarene University, I wish I would have known more about my decided major, engineering. Though the engineering program is very good here, I figured after two years in the program that engineering is not for me. Also, I wish I would have known more about the film school here. This is an excellent program and as a result, I have switched my major to Mass Communications.

Since Nothwest Nazarene Universtiy is a privite institution, the tuition cost is higher than average. As a result, much of my tution is paid for with student loans. Though I am fortunate enough to receive some money through scholarships and grants, the rest must be paid with loans

alyson

I could create an endless list of adive to give my former self. I would begin with handing over a complete guide of the financial aid world; I would stress the importance of financial aid and how expensive school really is. Going along with the expenses part of college, I would advise myself about the trickery of college books. You buy the books for a crazy dollar amount and sell them back for less then 75% of what you paid. A helpful tip I would pass along: Buy used books then sell them to fellow students you know will be taking that class next semester. Fellow students will pay more for your books than the bookstore. The most important peice of adivce I would give to my former self is that your envolvment with the school is just as important as your academic progress. Creating many relationships, prfessional and personal, and involving yourself with the school will create a memorable learning experience.

I haven't started classes yet...

I haven't started classes yet...

I would start at a community college to figure out what I want to do and to avoid student loans. After completely my Associate's, then I'd transfer to a 4-year university.

A person who is well-rounded, dedicated, and true to his/her faith.

NNU is very academic focused and a great community to be involved in.

NNU is very academic focused and a great community to be involved in.

I would tell myself to pay for the A.P. classes and C.P. classes that I took so I would already have a head start on college. I would also try to do more afterschool activities. I would start filling out scholarships during that year so that I had better financial aid. Lastly, I would tell myself to find time to relax because even though all this stuff needed to get done, I shouldn't worry myself so much and have some fun. I would have loved to enjoy being a teen more rather than stressing over my future.

I would consider the price of the school to be the worst part because even though it is a great school it can sometimes be difficult to find al the money you need to attend the school.

Leah

If I could go back in time and speak to my high school self about college and what I know now, I would definitely tell myself to just be enthusiastic about the transition in every aspect. The transition for me honestly wasn't that hard. The only things that I had difficulties with was simply being overly nervous and scared about starting in a completely different institute. I continued with my focus and good grades, but just remained a very reserved person. I would definitely give my high school self the advice to stand out and not be shy. I ended up making friends quickly enough for being a shy person and I always made good grades, but my nervous attitude about college would have disappeared had I had a lot of confidence in the transition going into it.

Northwest Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.