Des Plaines, IL
Oakton Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakton Community College

Rimsha

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take my classes more seriously. During my senior year I started slacking because I was very excited for all the activities coming, like prom, and my future in college. I would tell myself to keep pushing harder in order to get the best possible grade in all my classes. I would also tell myself to not stress so much about all the "drama" happening in between my friends. Many students often get side tracked by all the negative things going around in school, including myself, that they forget to just relax, enjoy and have fun their senior year.

I hate how Oakton Community College doesn't have many teachers available to teach the classes offered. Many students often get stressed or angry because most of the classes fill up very quickly.

I love how Oakton Community College is financially reliable. Most students barley pay anything, but the students that do pay never have any complaints.

Artemis

My school is a learning focussed facility with student binding experiences throughout the school year.

I would tell myself to put 100% effort into my work, because it will always benefit me in the future when i attend college. an example of this is, learning biology the first time (in high school), makes taking the course again in college so much easier, so i should always work my hardest, no matter how difficult certain subjects and material are!

The best thing about my school is the small class rooms because it allows room for more disscussion, and you all build a stronger ralationship with your professor and classsmates!

Eleanor

Oakton is a great place that has done more for me than I ever expected and created many opportunities for me. To expand on that, I would like to say that I really feel that I have become a better person through my education. I have made great friendships with other students on campus and been exposed to different cultures through the many different friends I have made who are from all over the world. My leadership abilities were pushed and challenged. I really feel like I was a part of something big.

Do not stress so much about things; it will kill you. You are the type of person who, when you stress about school or work, does not accomplish anything. The best thing for you to do is actually to stop thinking and just do what you need to do next. This has actually worked a lot better for you these past few years than all of the other strategies you used in high school. In regards to the future, don't stress about that either. You really don't know what the future is going to be like, so why worry about it too much? Just take care of the present. Right now, in high school, you are worried about classes and applying for college. These are both great things to concentrate on, but stop stressing so much. You actually do end up at a community college, despite the fact that, as a high school student, you thought you had to go to a university. Ironically, community college was the best thing for you. So, stop stressing and life will work out for you, as long as you focus on the present and just do the next thing.

The worst thing about my school is that most students are not involved. During my time at my community college, I worked as the Editor-in-Chief for the student newspaper, the Executive Vice President for the international honors society, and been a part of several other organizations and work environments on campus. In every part of student life I was involved in, I faced challenges in creating an interest in other students to become involved in what my clubs are doing. I think this mostly has to do with the fact that most of the students are commuter students.

Philip

If i could go back in time i would tell myself to study harder in school and begin the college search sooner. Goin gto a junior college is a good way to save money but can also stop you from transferring to a school of your choice and having all the credits transfer. The most important thing I would tell myself is to pick a school that is right for you. Do not let money be the ultimatum and allow yourself to have the college experience.

The people that run the enrollment center. They are slow and rude.

People that can afford a major university.

After going back into time, the advice I would give my senior self would be to be aware of all my potential growth. This meaning, to be open-minded to all the college advice being given to me and to push myself in a difficult major I feel I can succeed in. I would tell myself how important it is for me to see all the pros and cons in a school and to make a list before making a decision. I would say how it is not only important to be able to have fun in college but to see myself in 10 years and really think about succeeding in a major with helpful benefits for my future life. I would say to take everything into consideration and really put myself to the test, a test in pushing myself for high goals for my future. I would also just remind myself to never be satisfied with the average, but that I have the mentality to become successful and to over achieve everything that I do, because it will always benefit me in the long run and to ignore all the walls that ever stop me from being the best.

Before coming to Oakton Community College I wish I would have known to look into all the amazing programs and activities Oakton had to offer. Although I did know about all the clubs I could have joined, I wish I was more aware of my major to decide which of Oaktons programs could have helped me to succeed. Deciding a major would definately be one of the most important steps before coming to Oakton to be able to look ahead to choose the best career path Oakton offered to become a more aware and goal-oriented student.

The worst thing about Oakton Community College would be the fact that none of the students like to interact with one another. I'm not talking about socializing during the learning process, but more of helping each other by asking questions to benefit everyone and learning to communicate with others. This is the worst thing because being in college you want to be able to grow from your surroundings and learn to work with everyone around you. Students need to realize that by interacting with everyone, helps students grow to become great speakers for the future.

Robert

I would definatley tell myself that I should have done a lot better in High School by trying harder and trying to get the highest possible grades. College is very diffirent than High School, you don't have the teachers constantly reminding you about a deadline for a major project, or that a test is coming up. In college you recieve a sylabus that organizes the whole semester and has all the important days you need to know about for the entire sememster. You have to work hard to achieve your goals, and try to make your life succesful. There is never anything you can do to change the past, so it's your job to make the right decision. If you know that one day you want to be succesful, then it's time to take school seriously. School is very important in today's world, so strive for excellence so that one day you can achieve your major goals you have set for your life.

I absolutely love attending Oakton. It gives me the chance to attend college and stay close to home at an affordable price. The professors there are great and do a very good job on making me understand the subject.

Debin

You've always did just enough to get by in school and basketball, well when you get to college that isn't going to work with anything that you pursue. Your going to have to start working hard to get things accomplished. You've always just went with whatever was happening, well in college you have to set some goals for yourself and stay focused enough to achieve them. Being in college isn't hard nor scary it's, it can be fun all you have to do is stay focused on the important things and work hard in whatever you do.

Any type of person can attend Oakton. Thats why I wouldn't change it, because it's not only for people who don't have the grades to get into a four year school. It's not only for people who aren't sure if college is for them. It's for everyone.

Janet

"Education is the only thing that no one can ever take from you". These exact words were said to me back in 2004 when I was a highschool Senior by my father. MY fther has always been the biggest influencs I have had in my life. Over these past several years I have learned so much out of life, strangers and people close to me. advice that I would give my self as a senior in 04 would be to live and learn as much as you can, and Appreciate everyday like your last. People come and go but positive people leave footprints in your life forever. ?Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the present.? I would tell my self that anything is possible. I have met some incredible people since I have graduated highschool and they have all shaped my life for the better. I have met people that have worked with Bill Clinton, and people who have been homeless, but whatever their past situations have been it has shaped them in the people they are today.

I think that Oakton Community College is a great school in general but I would have to say that the worst thing about Oakton is the fact that people are somewhat antisocial. I wish that the school in general would do more social comitee gatherings and outings to bring the student body closer as one.

I feel that as a person I am well rounded, but very opinionated. When I talk to my friends at school I mostly brag about all the great people that I know and that I have meet in my life. The connections you make and the people who are in your daily life and how they make a great impact on your future career.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to save up money for college and make sure not to be a part-time student for my first year of college. That being a part-time student only made it so I would need another year in addition to what is already needed in order to graduate. I would tell myself to make sure to take all my classes seriously and to pay attention in class. Also, I would tell myself to put school before work, that education is more important than clocking in massive amounts of hours at a job. That though I may need the money for bills and things, running myself ragged won't help with making good grades and succeeding in my ultimate goal of eing successful in life and in becoming an adult.

Someone who has minimal or low income, is undecided in what they want to do or excel in and/or wants to get their general education class finished before they go to a 4 year college.

That the teachers are usually very helpful, the classes are moderately sized and the price isn't unreasonable.

Micah

My classmates are very diverse group who either have a set goal in mind (getting a degree in the medical field) or are exploring their different options by trying different classes and finding what suits them best.

Having experienced two and a half years of college life, I would advice myself as a high school senior to prioritize and create a plan. It took me a while to figure out the career path I wanted to take and while I was in search of the right courses, I experimented with different classes hoping that one of them would lead me in the right direction. Since my family does have financial concerns, I look back now and wish that I did not waste money on some classes. Although I have few regrets with the classes I have taken in the past, I do wish I had made a more stable plan for myself and possibly put it in writing. As a high school senior, I think I would have benefited more having entered college with a more solid plan instead of leaving some things to be done last minute. If I could go back, I would tell myself that it is fine to not have a clear idea of which path to take, but it would be more advantageous to make decisions and put together a plan that could help me find the right course.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the limited types of classes that students can take. Because it is a community college, there isn't a large variety of classes and most classes encompass subjects in general.

Oakton Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.