Oakton Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oakton Community College

Olivia

Oakton Community College is a great 2-year school to attend if you are unable to afford a 4-year university and you save a lot of money by doing so! In addition, it is one of the best community colleges in Illinois for students looking to go into science-related careers like nursing. The professors are there to support students academically and their interests. It\'s a great way to meet people and make some friends. They offer a variety of opportunities to get involved and even win prizes! If someone told me they are planning to attend Oakton, I would tell them to absolutely go to this school. Community colleges sometimes get a bad rep because they are not actually universities or that they “don’t prepare you at all because they are too easy”. I would strongly disagree. I was challenged every semester and I have learned a lot from every class that I have taken. Some universities even pay more attention to those transferring from a community college because they know these individuals are hard workers but may have had some financial issues which prevented them from attending a university, like me. In addition, I would tell that person that they will only thank themselves later because just by attending Oakton for 2 years, they are saying SO MUCH money for the same type of knowledge. I had many of my friends return to community colleges after their first year at a university because they didn’t realize how expensive college could be. Lastly, I would tell them to take advantage of student life and join some clubs because you’ll meet so many people. Also, I would tell them to apply for any scholarships they would be eligible for to either decrease the cost of attendance or be able to take classes they really want to take, but wouldn’t be able to afford.

Toni

I like the Des Plaines campus it feels like a real college community. I like the classes and some of the professor. I think that financial aid help could be better. Overall the classrooms and students in the class are good. I haven't really been to Skokie campus but it is nice when I do go other to that campus. The feel is different from the Des Plaines campus but they are both still very good places to learn.

Francesca

Oakton Community College has helped me grow as a student as well as a person. I have learned so many things about myself in the past 2 years then I have ever in my whole life. I was able to find my career and passion at Oakton and they also help me through any struggles I've had.

Brenda

The campus is growing and improving as parts of the school is still under construction. The professors are considerate and helpful with your work. Classes aren't too large so everyone get a chance meet other students. Classes are affordable and financial aid benefits cover the cost the school well.

The professors are generally very helpful. Since there are smaller class sizes, they are able to reach out to students more and offer focused attention. Also, it's a well funded community college. Great for people who want to continue their education but not at a university.

Zoe

Oakton is great for saving money and obtaining a two-year degree. Course expecations are not high and course work is rarely rigorous. Some teachers care about the class, others don't. Sometimes professors also teach at neighboring four-year universities such as Northwestern. Socially the college is barren.

Daniel

Very great school. Two campuses are available for students in two larger suburbs of Chicago. The Des Plaines campus, the larger of the two, has magnificent teachers, students, and programs. The Skokie campus is smaller, more convenient, much quieter and less chaotic, as well as having a plethora of usefull resources. The two schools are also rich in diversity; there are many students from many different backgrounds who all work towards success. It's a very civilized and wonderful school.

Ian

Oakton Community College is a great way to save money and prepare yourself to transfer to a four year university. They have good study areas and tutoring is always available. The professors always care about your success in the course and in your educational goals and are always there to help if you need it.

Savannah

It's a good school to being at for you general education classes but if you wish to do more than a few years, it is not the school for you. This community college is simply one in which you can commute to there are no places in which you can stay nearby either.

Eryn

I love the school it was a good entry level school to attend. The people are nice, the professors want to help you succeed and the classrooms are large in size. The only thing i would change is the fact that for the nursing program students must become a CNA before continuing with the nursing program.

Ayush

Overall, Oakton College has been a good school for me to start off with college because at first I was undecided so I chose to come to Oakton to get my 2 years out the way so that I can transfer to a 4 year school in future. The staff was friendly, and helpful and the environment felt safe as I was in campus most of my day because of the extra curriculum activities I was involved in such as soccer, phi theta kappa club, and weight training.

nicole

Its ok to go to if your looking for a cheaper start to begin you college path. Oakton offers great classes that transfer to many schools. The environment in Oakton is similar to a college campus but is just smaller. The school is clean and hygienic. There are many opportunities to get involved within the school.

It's a great place for people who don't like being surrounded by people or being in crowded places. The classes are reasonable sizes, the campuses aren't unnecessarily large, and the food is much better than in middle school. Added to that, tuition is much less costly than at other colleges and universities.

Paul

Thera is pro and cons in going to a community college Pros are that it is cheaper than a 4 year and that you save money on housing, food, and other essentials of living, fewer distractions. That there is a smaller class size. Consis that you aren't getting the full college experience and that you are not able to make a lot of friends.That there a lot of unmotivated people going there.That there isn't a lot of things to do a community.It is difficult to transfer to a 4 year college.That there aren't a lot of clubs and that there aren't a lot of extracurricular activities

Bonnie

To be honest, Oakton is almost very university-like. It definitely isn't your ordinary community college. In addition to saving money, they also offer many free amenities for students and have study abroad opportunities. The teachers are phenomenal for the most part; I would always recommend researching the professor before taking their class. The overall school wants you to do your best in your studies and you have many resources and much support for you to succeed. There is a tutoring center, many computer labs and libraries to study in. Teachers actually encourage students to take advantage of what the school has, since it is all part of your tuition. Food in the café is pretty pricey, but the snacks are at a good price. The school continues to provide more and more for students, including a new student center that is opening in the Spring. This school is also a very "green" school and is the best at taking care of the environment. It also even has its own art exhibit and many pieces around the school! Overall, it is a very beautiful school and one with much student success.

Cynthia

It’s a great place to get your gen eds done for a more affordable price. The class sizes are small so your professor will have the opportunity to get to know you and you will have the chance to get to know your classmates as well. The professors are flexible depending on what’s impeding you to succeed.

Jacqueline

When I first started at Oakton, I had no idea what to expect. I thought that when you attend a community college, you get what you pay for - that couldn’t have been further from the truth. The honors seminars, volunteer opportunities and amazing mentors that I gained throughout my attendance at Oakton were enriching beyond belief. My concentration at Oakton was Peace and Social Justice, and they provided innumerable opportunities to enhance my concentration both academically and experientially.

Ariana

Oakton Community College is affordable and offers students a variety of opportunities to be successful academically and has small class sizes. There are also job, college, and extracurricular fairs that give students the opportunity to be involved in the school. Academic Advisers help students stay on track to reach their goals of earning a certificate or degree. It's an easy and simple process to meet with an adviser and make a academic plan to see what classes students need or how many credits they will need to graduate. Students can go into the enrollment center where they can set up an appointment and meet with their adviser in the same place. Professors offer students office hours and can meet with students after class or over email if they need additional help. The college uses a service called "D2L" which allows students to access their class information, assignments, and the grade book all online. In my experience, d2L has made it easier for me to communicate with my classmates and professor through online discussions and I can easily submit my work online.

Sana

Oakton Community College is safe place for all students with a variety of students in attendance from different ethnic and religious backgrounds. Oakton Community College wants students to get involved as much as they can and take advantage of the many opportunities given to them. Since I have a science background, many of the anatomy and microbiology teachers wish to prepare you for healthcare fields, therefore, they try to connect certain material to what one would see in the real world. This type of application is what I admire the most in my biology professors. Most professors that I have at the school are understanding about familial situations and work. The class sizes are mall which allow for more discussions, opportunities for questions, and one on one conversations with the professors. There is the Learning Center for students who need extra help as well.

Julia

Oakton Community College has two campuses: the one in Des Plaines and the one in Skokie. I attended the one in Skokie for two and a half years and while the classes were great and I enjoyed my time, there is a clear favorite campus by the faculty and that is not the Skokie campus. We had resources but not nearly as much as the Des Plaines campus, which really hindered my on campus experience and my willingness to attend events at as they were mostly at the other campus.

Alex

Oakton community college is convenient, it offers great programs to help you get ready for the future.its also very close to home!