Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Ariel

I do attend a Christian school and what I believe is unique compared to other schools is we are required to attend three worships weekly. Also, the spiritual atmosphere and the school spirit is also unique. My school is very small so the students have a better opportunity of builing close relationships with both the teachers and the student body.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school there will be many things that I would change. As the list can go on and on the main thing I would change would have been how serious I took the year. My senior year I was ready to go. I did not take school as serious as I should. I was already receiving acceptance letters so that was really the end for. Instead of thinking about the big transition I would be making from high school to college did not cross my mind one time. Th e way I treated my senior year as it was nothing or not important, was the same I treared my freshman year in college. It was all about having fun, I was not prepared at all. If I could go back and change I would go and prepare myself before going off to school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is they see students struggling financially. They see clearly that students cannot afford to pay for school and although they have fininancial aid that they can give to students they do not. Students often have to take out loans for no reason. They want us to attend school but are not willing to give us the sufficient funds. They leave that huge burden on the students and their families to figure out what they are going to do in order for the student to get into school.

Danika

If I could go back in time to my high school self I would tell myself to manage my money and my time for intelligently. The class schedule in high school is completely different from the class schedule in college. Therefore you may have more time on your hands. Have fun but also be mindful of how much time is spent on fun. It's good to set aside some time for school and studying that way you won't have to cram before a test or quiz. Even if it's just reviewing notes after class, every moment counts. When it comes to managing your money, you should set a budget for every month and try to live within your means. If you want new clothes set a budget for that and don't spend any more than that. Remember that you are not working so each dollar spent has to be worth it.

The best thing about Oakwood would be the environment. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and cultures so all those influences mixed together create and environment where everyone can learn about differnt islands and the way people were raised. Along with that everyone is encouraging of each others talents and always there to help a fellow student when one is in need. The instructors actually care about the students as well and want every one to succeed. The school is based on one thing and that is serving others and that is what makes Oakwood an amazing school.

I honestly can't say anything bad about Oakwood College. I love it!

Mary

The time set for this essay is 1983; I have already filled out for certain colleges I would like to attend and I am waiting to see if I am accepted. I know somewhere in the nursing field would be what I was looking at, possible becoming an R.N. Attending college directly out of high school is how a career needs to begin. Studying is so much simpler when you are younger than waiting later in life. I would be excited about college moving away for my education, establishing myself, earning my degree, getting a job in the medical field. I have always been interested in the medical field and fascinated with surgery and the things that can be performed on the human body. I know that the future holds a lot of new technology for the health care field, and I am going to be a part of this new and interesting technology. Yes, the work will be hard and I will have to study hard instead of going out with my friends, but I know in the end my career will be worth all the effort that I put into it. I am so excited. Mary Ward

Krystal

Oakwood is best known for its religous aspect. Though it may not be known for it's education or it's teachers, everyone who attends is surrounded by people who share similar beliefs and help each other increase their faith and relationships with Christ.

If I could go back and give myself advice, I would say to take my education slowly. I enjoyed school growing up and took accelerated classes. When I reached high school I had the opportunity to take college classes and later used those credits to enter college as second-semester sophomore, knocking three semesters off of my college stay. Attending school away from home for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed my college experience. I went home for the summer only to anticipate what the following year would bring. What I didn't know was that my next and final two years would be filled with yearbook editor and student government duties, leaving me very little time to experience the life of a typical college student. Going back to to give myself advice, I would say to not take on so much responsibility. I am very appreciative of the opportunities I was given and learned a lot from the experiences, but holding such a time-consuming responsibility for two years made me miss out on a lot of typical college things like club outings and movie nights. I want to give myself the opportunity to have a full college experience.

Oakwood tends to have a lot of restrictions due to the religous beliefs, and it can be discouraging. The best way to keep from giving up is to keep your eyes on what's most important: the education.

I absolutely LOVE my school, Oakland University. I really like the size of the university. It is not small and not super big. It is just the right size. There is a lot of school pride. The Golden Grizzlies, the men's basketball team have made it to the NCAA tournament and they are The Summit League champions. We have a student cheer section called "The Grizz Gang". They are the most spirited student section I have seen. Oakland is still growing, even in a recession. We have a medical school that just opened in 2011. We also have a new Human Health building with new facilities. The most frequent complaint is about parking, but really there is not a parking problem, it is a walking problem. There are enough parking spots for all of the students. Also, if you get to class half an hour early you shouldn't have a problem. My favorite part of Oakland is the atmosphere. It is just so welcoming and friendly. It makes me feel like I'm at home.

Academics are just wonderful at Oakland. All of my professors know my name, and not just because I am an over-achiever. They know everyone in the class's name. It also helps that the average class size is 35 students. My favorite class was an Honors College class. It was called: China: an Anthropological Perspective. It was a class based on discussion and was really stimulating. We also watched Disney's Mulan; that was really fun! I do spend time with professors outside of class. I go to their office hours and talk about random things and it is good to have faculty that know you.

I think the stereotype is that most of the students are uninvolved, commuter students. This stereotype is fairly accurate. However, there is a rich campus life. All you have to do is get involved. There are so many student organizations for students to join. As far as living on campus, there are only about 2000 students who live on campus, whereas around 19,000 students who attend Oakland. So, it is mainly a commuter campus. I live on campus and LOVE it. If you have the chance to live on campus, I would definitely suggest doing so.

abigail

My classmates are diverse.

My classmates are diverse.

Dear 18-year-old me, In a few months you will be taking one of the most important walks in your life at your graduation ceremony. You have so much promise and potential that you are unaware of, I just want to give you a heads-up of things to come. In choosing your next venue of education, be smart, think about costs. Is the school that u choose well worth it? Consider the traveling and many months spent away from home. Also, my youth, once you start something, make sure to stick to it. Quitting is not an option. There is a world awaiting you with oppurtunities to be had and mastered, choose wisely. Don't forget what your mother taught you, remember the Creator while you are yet young and put Him first in all that you do. Sincerely, the 21-year-old you

Phillip

Focus on academic performance in high school in order to position yourself for academic scholarships that the college offers. Know that the SAT is key to obtaining funds. Never lose your focus on the first and foremost goal of why you are attending college which is to get an education. It is very easy to get caught up into all of the extra curricular activities that college has to offer. Never lost site of this goal as it can cost you thousands of dollars to end up in college longer than expected. Stay on campus until you graduate...There are less distractions and more structure in a dorm.

Non-religious or non-protestant

Margaret

Oakwood is one big , loving family. We have our ups and downs, but at the end of the day we're a unit. Solid.

We're best known for the musical talent on our campus.

If I could go back in time, I'd advise my high school self to be completely prepared. Apply for as many scholarships as you can and even once cleared financially, look for scholarships for the upcoming years. I would also tell myself to hit the ground running once a college student. I was use to being an A student and once I was in college, I didn't really push myself as hard as I could have. I've always made good grades, but I know I'm capable of making exceptional grades. I'd also tell myself to put myself out there more. I am now a Senior in college and I wish I had been more involved on campus. I could have made a bigger impact on my peers lives and my own had I taken more chances and stepped outside of the box. I guess in short I'd advise myself simply by saying go for it!

Kristina

As a high school senior I think that I would have pushed myself a little bit harder with my school work and SAT's/ACT's. I also would have pushed myself to start off at a university versus a community college. I just think that I would have gained a little more getting my AA degree from a university.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.