Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

geordi

I would tell myself to pay attention in English class and be prepared for big writing projects. Be more outspoken and confident in your own opinion and personality. Photography make be a good hobby to look into.

My college's choir, the Aeolians, are a national 3 gold medal winning choir.

The cafeteria can be great in the beginning, but after awhile, having the same food every week with few variations can frustrate you.

Charles

So, you thought it was a bright idea to throw away those high school grad scholarships and enlist in the Marine Corps? Almost a good idea. Bum knee, bad back, and a howling void of debt threatening to consume the wife and I at the slightest chance makes me want to time hop and slap some sense into you. If I have any solid advice that you might be able to get through your thick skull, drop the 'I want to be a hard ass' attitude, and do the smart thing. Take the scholarship, go to college, and than consider enlisting in the Marines. You threw away what could have been a golden oppurtunity. A good solid college education, officer school, and you still would have been able to play soldier, stomping around the world looking cool. But, but, no one likes an officer that comes straight out of college, they're green and arrogant, and full of themselves. Were you like that though? No, if there's anything good I have to say about my past self (YOU), it's that we've always been a humble, common sense driven individual. You would have made a fine officer.

My advice to myself in high school would be not to take the work lightly and ask for help. Throughout my high school career, I took the work lightly. I didn't have to study by reading my book, all I had to do was use my teacher's in class notes to study and complete homework assignments. So I would definitely encourage my highschool self to get into the habit of reading material for further understanding. Because in college, especially as a Biology major, your professors won't give you everything you need to study. You, yourself will have to study and not only know the information but understand and comprehend it. Be able to relate it real life. Lastly, ask for help. I know that you were always scared to ask for help from teachers and even peers, but these people are here to help you. They wouldn't be teaching you if they didn't want to help you. In college professors will encourage you to ask for help,so don't be afraid and break that habit because professors are your best friends in college when you do not understand an assignment or fail a test.

The worse thing about my school would be financial aid. Although every student receives financial aid, the help doesn't account for half of tuition. It's difficult paying off the semester and having to clear out items out of our dorm room really puts a lot of stress on us as students. I wish that my school offered better financial aid and kept track of the aid as well. I have received bills where the amount to be paid is incorrect because financial aid has made a mistake.

I tell my friends that my school is very small and intimate. The atmosphere results in everyone on campus knowing about others or having some idea of who they are. I enjoy my school not only because it is small, but because it also gives me the opportunity to get to know my professors better. It's is difficult for professors to learn names rather than faces. Because of my school size, the classes are a lot smaller and the professors know their students by name and better.

Belinda

I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school. I cannot get away with turning in late assignments, and that I have to become organized. I would say that discipline plays a key role in going to college because I would have no one to actually make me go to class or tell me to do my work. I would tell myself to learn to stay focus on my school work and not to be lazy. I would also tell myself remember my future goals and plans and as I achieve my goals to make new ones throughout my college experience. I would tell myself to be careful who I would consider a friend, and to make sure my friends have the same outlook and ideas as I do about making good grades and always working towards goals. I would also tell myself that it’s okay to step out of my comfort zone. I would tell myself to have fun but be responsible.

people that are not serious about education or spritual growth

Ariel

I do attend a Christian school and what I believe is unique compared to other schools is we are required to attend three worships weekly. Also, the spiritual atmosphere and the school spirit is also unique. My school is very small so the students have a better opportunity of builing close relationships with both the teachers and the student body.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school there will be many things that I would change. As the list can go on and on the main thing I would change would have been how serious I took the year. My senior year I was ready to go. I did not take school as serious as I should. I was already receiving acceptance letters so that was really the end for. Instead of thinking about the big transition I would be making from high school to college did not cross my mind one time. Th e way I treated my senior year as it was nothing or not important, was the same I treared my freshman year in college. It was all about having fun, I was not prepared at all. If I could go back and change I would go and prepare myself before going off to school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is they see students struggling financially. They see clearly that students cannot afford to pay for school and although they have fininancial aid that they can give to students they do not. Students often have to take out loans for no reason. They want us to attend school but are not willing to give us the sufficient funds. They leave that huge burden on the students and their families to figure out what they are going to do in order for the student to get into school.

Danika

If I could go back in time to my high school self I would tell myself to manage my money and my time for intelligently. The class schedule in high school is completely different from the class schedule in college. Therefore you may have more time on your hands. Have fun but also be mindful of how much time is spent on fun. It's good to set aside some time for school and studying that way you won't have to cram before a test or quiz. Even if it's just reviewing notes after class, every moment counts. When it comes to managing your money, you should set a budget for every month and try to live within your means. If you want new clothes set a budget for that and don't spend any more than that. Remember that you are not working so each dollar spent has to be worth it.

The best thing about Oakwood would be the environment. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and cultures so all those influences mixed together create and environment where everyone can learn about differnt islands and the way people were raised. Along with that everyone is encouraging of each others talents and always there to help a fellow student when one is in need. The instructors actually care about the students as well and want every one to succeed. The school is based on one thing and that is serving others and that is what makes Oakwood an amazing school.

I honestly can't say anything bad about Oakwood College. I love it!

Mary

The time set for this essay is 1983; I have already filled out for certain colleges I would like to attend and I am waiting to see if I am accepted. I know somewhere in the nursing field would be what I was looking at, possible becoming an R.N. Attending college directly out of high school is how a career needs to begin. Studying is so much simpler when you are younger than waiting later in life. I would be excited about college moving away for my education, establishing myself, earning my degree, getting a job in the medical field. I have always been interested in the medical field and fascinated with surgery and the things that can be performed on the human body. I know that the future holds a lot of new technology for the health care field, and I am going to be a part of this new and interesting technology. Yes, the work will be hard and I will have to study hard instead of going out with my friends, but I know in the end my career will be worth all the effort that I put into it. I am so excited. Mary Ward

Krystal

Oakwood is best known for its religous aspect. Though it may not be known for it's education or it's teachers, everyone who attends is surrounded by people who share similar beliefs and help each other increase their faith and relationships with Christ.

If I could go back and give myself advice, I would say to take my education slowly. I enjoyed school growing up and took accelerated classes. When I reached high school I had the opportunity to take college classes and later used those credits to enter college as second-semester sophomore, knocking three semesters off of my college stay. Attending school away from home for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed my college experience. I went home for the summer only to anticipate what the following year would bring. What I didn't know was that my next and final two years would be filled with yearbook editor and student government duties, leaving me very little time to experience the life of a typical college student. Going back to to give myself advice, I would say to not take on so much responsibility. I am very appreciative of the opportunities I was given and learned a lot from the experiences, but holding such a time-consuming responsibility for two years made me miss out on a lot of typical college things like club outings and movie nights. I want to give myself the opportunity to have a full college experience.

Oakwood tends to have a lot of restrictions due to the religous beliefs, and it can be discouraging. The best way to keep from giving up is to keep your eyes on what's most important: the education.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.