Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

La'Rell

If I had the abillity to go back, and tell my High School Senior self some crucial advice it would definitly be to apply for all the scholarships possible. I would tell myself to apply to more colleges so I would have more options. In addition to this I would also tell myself to do really good my senior year, and get the best GPA possible. These are the key things I would tell my senior self about college.

There are many types of people at Oakwood University, and it's a very diverse campus in terms of area of orgin. I beilieve Oakwood is best suited for an African American/ Black student whose religion is Seventh Day Adventist. This school was designed by SDAs so if a student isn't affiliated with the religion it is very hard to ajust to the rules, and regulations set here on campus. Oakwood is a HBCU, and predominantly African American so this is why I feel African American Seventh Day Adventist should attend Oakwood University.

I would say the most frustrating thing about my school is by far the financial clearance process. If a student resides in the dorms, and is not cleared they have to move all their belongings out, and are homeless until they have financially cleared. I feel that a professed Church University should not leave their students in the freezing cold just because they cannot afford it. In some extreme cases students cannot even attend class, and education is very essential for success. The strugle, and the consequences of not being cleared is very frustrating.

jasmine

My classmates are funny, kind, and lovable.

My classmates are funny, kind, and lovable.

Dear Jasmine, You will be attending college next year, and there are a few things you should know. College is a place where you are learning about who you are more and more each day. You will not know right away what career path you should take, and what your future holds. It is ok to be unsure about what God has planned for you. This is a chance for you to do research on different majors, and discover what things you are really interested in, and what would truly make you happy. Don't ever get distracted by looking at other people and what they are doing. You are your own person and have to make decisions for yourself. College is a place where you become independent, and learn how to handle big problems without the help of your parents. It is time for you to prove to yourself, and to the world that you are capable of being the best future professional that there is. Don't let anthing or anyone hold you back from making your dreams come true. Be confident and know that you can achieve anything with God's help.

The worst thing about my school is that there is little school spirit.

Oakwood University is a school that has the objective of teaching students how to perform well in their fields so they can serve others.

Dear Jennifer, College is full of life lessons. You are about to embark on a journey that will strongly affect your transition from a girl into a woman. You are a college student now! So that your journey can be as smooth as possible, DO THE FOLLOWING: The first is to ALWAYS talk to your advisor. Your advisor helps to keep you on track at all times; helping you make sure you are taking all the right classes you need to fulfill the requirements of your field of study. The second thing that is important for you to do is to create a study schedule for yourself and stick to it! You have to discipline yourself to be successful academically. The third thing is to be mindful of the people you surround yourself with! Friends have a big impact on the decisions you make so be wise! The forth thing that's important is to ask for help! Never be afraid to ask for help! There are always people willing to give help when you need it! Fifth, have fun because you remember your college days forever. Always trust God. ALWAYS PRAY.

I just wish I had known more about the requirements of the education department specifically so that I could have been ahead of the game in my major.

Caryn

Dear high school Caryn, you are about to face a big transition—and for you to be prepared, I composed a list of things that you should know before you go to college: 1. Do not spend an exorbitant amount of money on things for your dorm room ! You will be okay with just one pillow— the multiple fluffy ones that you will spot in Target aren’t necessary. Plus, you’ll need that money for later expenses. 2. Keep up the organization ! With deadlines that aren’t much repeated by professors, it’s imperative to use your phone or planner to keep up. Be sure to weekly schedule your readings and assignments or else you will end up being the student who is empty-handed when the professor is walking around collecting papers. 3. Stay true to your beliefs ! There will be people around you who want to “have fun” instead of studying. Know that there is a plan for your life- you would do well to follow it. Stay focused and don’t let appealing Saturday night rendezvous stop you from studying ! But also, spend time doing things you enjoy—college is a great place.

Before coming to Oakwood University, I wish I would have been better informed about scholarship opportunities. As a transfer student, I did not feel as though I was offered the same quality of scholarships as maybe those who came straight out of high school. My scholarship search could have been a lot easier if someone assisted me. This is not completely Oakwood University's fault because I also have the responsibility of being independent-- I just wish I would have received more information prior to attending.

Although it is a minor concern for many, I would have to say that one not so pleasant thing about Oakwood is its food. While I know that the chef's are trying to make the food tasty, it isn't exactly good. Oakwood University is a vegetarian campus-- which I absolutely support-- but sometimes the food is vegetarian, but not necessary healthy. I believe our food should be both nutritious and appetizing.

Denzel

Oakwood is a well balenced school wheni come to religion, education, and socialization.

I would tell myself to prepare for everything that you do in high school. the better prepared you are the better chance you have on doing well in that subject. Never do last minute cramming because all its going to do is have you tire for the test the next day. Try to do your best in breaking up each and every test through out the week so you wont have to worry about it and become stressed. I would also charish and enjjoy your time with your basketball team. Being a captain isn't a easy task fr everyone to complete so just try your best at what your doing. If you want to be the number one player in your class then you need shoot the ball a little bit more then you have so far. Last but certainly not least you have to play your very hardest during the state championship game. No matter how far down or up your team is don't lay back. Continue to attack them with all your might. Good luck.

I tend to brag on how comforable everyone is at the school. When you go to Oakwood you will witness and be a part of the Oakwood experience, which is something I believve everyone should experience at least once in there life.

Melony

I don't believe there is a type of person who shouldn't attend this school. If we have your degree, you should come.

The financial aid process. It seems very unorganized and you always get the run around before someone actually helps to solve your problem.

taija

I would do more reseach on college because my senior year of high school all that was on my mine was getting my high school deploma and just live life. but i am glade that i stayed focus on shool after all i have been through. i was homeless living on the streets still making it to school every day doing what i had to do to get through school. nothing could stop me from doing what i was doing not even living on the streets. school was my motavation . I even let others know what i been through when they think school is to much for them i ket them know that if i can live on the streets and attend school every morning then you can to.

Genokristo

The school is very close knit and feels like a everyone knows everyone. The school is also a Seventh Day Adnentist campus that makes an effort to keep students focused on Christ. In addition to that the school is an historically black college and university and this causes alot of the students who attend to have rather similar backgrounds and lifestyles. Even on your first day there you may feel as though you've known a stranger your entire life.

If I could talk to myself in my senior year I would tell myself to really focus on developing studying strategies. In my first year of college I spent most of the year learning how to study. Although the information wasn’t particularly difficult, I had a bad habit of studying in places I knew I would get distracted. In that year I learned that I learn best when studying in a group and I remembered the information best when I had to repeat it verbally or explain it to another person. One of the most important lessons I would tell myself would be the importance of being detail oriented. In both my biology and anatomy classes there were a few tests I missed a sizeable amount of points on because I wasn't as detailed as I could have been in my preparation.

grace

Don't let anyone impact what you think about yourself. The dreams and career goal that you have for youself a within reach. The are realistic and you don't have to settle for career that other's think are realistic. Some people won't understand the vision you have for youself but that's ok. Keep pushing toward your goals even if you feel inadequate. Don't let fear or failiure keep you from reaching your goals. Change you attitude. Have confidence in your ability to succeed. Push for a higher GPA, apply for internships, audition with confidence, network, attend LSAT prep and GMAT Prep. You'll be fine.

The family oriented enviorment and the music.

Someone with religious affiliation. Oakwood University is a Seventh-Day Adventist school but they accept student regardless of their faith.

Karis

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would first emphasize the importance of proactiveness.I would tell myself to be proactive in everything that I do, including my studies, choosing a career and what college to attend. Especiallywith financial aid and scholarships, and in planning my life. I would then recommend myself to pay more attention in class and not to settle for a "B" or "A-" but to strive for an "A". One of the most important things I would counsel myself on is not procrastinating, because procrastination will surely lead to my downfall. I would stress building a great work ethic and developing good studying and note taking skills. Finally, I would then tell myself to take a deep breath and to go out and enjoy college life while it last.

The best thing about my school are the connetions and the relationships that you build with your peers, mentors, and teachers. I myself am very close to most of my teachers and I feel as though they do genuinely do care about me .

I usually tell my freinds that my school is a very close knit school. We are a very friendly group of people that are very active in eacho others lives. At my school you also make very helpful and important connections. The school also has many programs that ensure research oppuntunites and interships during the summer breaks.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.