Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Melony

I don't believe there is a type of person who shouldn't attend this school. If we have your degree, you should come.

The financial aid process. It seems very unorganized and you always get the run around before someone actually helps to solve your problem.

taija

I would do more reseach on college because my senior year of high school all that was on my mine was getting my high school deploma and just live life. but i am glade that i stayed focus on shool after all i have been through. i was homeless living on the streets still making it to school every day doing what i had to do to get through school. nothing could stop me from doing what i was doing not even living on the streets. school was my motavation . I even let others know what i been through when they think school is to much for them i ket them know that if i can live on the streets and attend school every morning then you can to.

Genokristo

The school is very close knit and feels like a everyone knows everyone. The school is also a Seventh Day Adnentist campus that makes an effort to keep students focused on Christ. In addition to that the school is an historically black college and university and this causes alot of the students who attend to have rather similar backgrounds and lifestyles. Even on your first day there you may feel as though you've known a stranger your entire life.

If I could talk to myself in my senior year I would tell myself to really focus on developing studying strategies. In my first year of college I spent most of the year learning how to study. Although the information wasn’t particularly difficult, I had a bad habit of studying in places I knew I would get distracted. In that year I learned that I learn best when studying in a group and I remembered the information best when I had to repeat it verbally or explain it to another person. One of the most important lessons I would tell myself would be the importance of being detail oriented. In both my biology and anatomy classes there were a few tests I missed a sizeable amount of points on because I wasn't as detailed as I could have been in my preparation.

grace

Don't let anyone impact what you think about yourself. The dreams and career goal that you have for youself a within reach. The are realistic and you don't have to settle for career that other's think are realistic. Some people won't understand the vision you have for youself but that's ok. Keep pushing toward your goals even if you feel inadequate. Don't let fear or failiure keep you from reaching your goals. Change you attitude. Have confidence in your ability to succeed. Push for a higher GPA, apply for internships, audition with confidence, network, attend LSAT prep and GMAT Prep. You'll be fine.

The family oriented enviorment and the music.

Someone with religious affiliation. Oakwood University is a Seventh-Day Adventist school but they accept student regardless of their faith.

Karis

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would first emphasize the importance of proactiveness.I would tell myself to be proactive in everything that I do, including my studies, choosing a career and what college to attend. Especiallywith financial aid and scholarships, and in planning my life. I would then recommend myself to pay more attention in class and not to settle for a "B" or "A-" but to strive for an "A". One of the most important things I would counsel myself on is not procrastinating, because procrastination will surely lead to my downfall. I would stress building a great work ethic and developing good studying and note taking skills. Finally, I would then tell myself to take a deep breath and to go out and enjoy college life while it last.

The best thing about my school are the connetions and the relationships that you build with your peers, mentors, and teachers. I myself am very close to most of my teachers and I feel as though they do genuinely do care about me .

I usually tell my freinds that my school is a very close knit school. We are a very friendly group of people that are very active in eacho others lives. At my school you also make very helpful and important connections. The school also has many programs that ensure research oppuntunites and interships during the summer breaks.

Kendrika

Oakwood University is the only Adventist HBCU. It is vegetarian, and most of the students that come here are very nice and respectful. The campus is very diverse, with even teachers coming from outside the states. Oakwood is a school that will help keep you focused, yet also allow you to relax and have fun.

College life is not just like high school life, college is like an organic chemistry final two minutes after the review. So the characteristics and habits that you developed in high school will be what helps or hurts you in college. So if I were to have the oppurtunity to to go back in time to my senior year I would advise myself not to procrastinate, expect pop quizzes, and always remember where I am going. In college procrastination is like a huge wall that if you don't start climbing in the beginning you may be the last one there, so I would change my tendency of waiting to the last minute to do certain things. Pop quizzes become a lifestyle in college as opposed to high school, so I would tell myself to always stay current in my studies. In college there are guaranteed to be some grades that make you feel like your major is too hard, so I would remind myself of where I am headed. All in all I would tell myself that college is not for the weak or easily persuaded, but for the strong and strongwilled.

If you are not able to transition from meat (even though you are allowed to have meet, they are just not allowed to serve it), if you have a problem with any rules, and if you are the type of person who gives up easily.

Marcelus

Making my decision was difficult, but there were a few factors that lead me to come to Oakwood. One of the biggest things that was special about Oakwood was they allowed me to come with my low GPA. The other is reason is for myself. Oakwood is able to give me a proper educatin while helping me to grow spiritually.

I wish I had known about the curfew when applying to school. I also wish I had known about how it is impossible to get food after 10 pm. Another thing I wish I had known about was the fines I can recieve. For example being fined for being late to curfew. I wish I was aware of these things before I came here.

Camille

My school is a family legacy. There is no other African-American HBCU in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. Many families in my faith expect their children to attend Oakwood and to have the same experience that they have had.

The coming transition that is coming in your life seems gargantuian. There are several aspects to college that are not only mysterious to you but also terrifying. Do not worry becuase your roomate will be amazing and clean! The most useful pieces of advice that I can give you about the future is to work incredibly hard but with the least amount of stress possible. I know you. Somewhere along the line you have misunderstood what hard work looks like. Stress and chronic worry will leave you drained. Learn now how to enjoy the work that you will do. In the years to come there will be enough stress and unexpected tragedy to worry about. This is uncontrollable. But understand that you are much stronger than you think. Your future will be less complicated when you begin to trust the path that you have been put on. Finally, the most important lesson I can teach you is that success is so much sweeter when you accept that it is not going to be given to you. Entitlement will discount any type of success you achieve. Life more fulfilling now that you accept that all worth having must be worked for.

There is a deep need for innovation. When new ideas a re presented to faculty, they are not very well recieved and often critized. They have a very regimented and old-fashioned way of doing things. Therefore, any type of new idea is disqualified.

Nephthali

No I wouldnt because life is all about making mistakes and the mistakes that I have learned has strethenged me

The worst thing about my school is the lack of career job offers

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.