Pittsburg, KS
Pittsburg State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pittsburg State University

Leah

There are many unique things about PSU that I found stood out among other colleges I considered. The pre-medicine program here is highly advanced. It engages students in labs and situations that aren't normally experienced until the second or third year of med school. One of the local physicians hires pre-med students and teaches them the basic training for patient care. This school also has a partnership with KCUMB medical school that allows early application into their program. This school is also very supportive of all campus athletics,and not just football.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that focusing on grades is a trap. Having straight A's doesn't mean anything if you fail to retain the information. As a high school junior I took general chemistry for college credit. I was determined to make an A. After many nights of over studying, endless eraser marks, taking tests over a set of information, forgetting old information and focusing on new information, I did. Now in my second semester of college, I am taking general chemistry 2. The notes are confusing at times and I have to do extra reading to prepare myself. I'm now realizing that I should have focused on learning and retaining the information rather than learning it just to receive that specific grade. The ability to think beyond what’s in a textbook and to see the connections to the world around you is much more important than a 4.0 average in the grand scheme of things. The world is littered with bright people who are failures because the only thing they were good at was school.

Pittsburg State University is home to outstanding Biology, Education, and Nursing Programs. Students who have interest in majoring in one of these fields are strongly encouraged to attend. In those majors, as well as all all others, students who are wanting to be challenged while still having a one-on-one connection with the classroom instructors will have that opportunity. Many students who attend this school are involvled in several extracurriculars and achieve high academic standards. PSU professors are flexible to accomodate the busy schedules of most students. Students who are looking for a hometown feel should also consider Pittsburg.

Niccole

I would make sure to tell myself to apply for all the scholarships I can get my hands on, no matter how much time it takes. I would tell myself to study hard, work hard, and always try my best. To live on campus at least one year & that going to community college was a GREAT decision for me. Next time look more into the graduate programs & not just the undergrad programs that way I don't have to change universities if/when I decide to go for a Master's degree that my University doesn't have.

I think all kinds of people should attend this school.

I think all kinds of people should attend this school.

Casey

To go back in time and give the advice I now know, I would tell myself to choose a school that I think will best accomidate my needs. Not to follow a boyfriend, or a best friend.The college choosen has to be able to support your future and not just a social life. Time management is also the key to success. I would tell myself to go to events the school puts together, to meet people, and to stay involved. I strongly suggest to get all of the general education classes out of the way as fast as possible. Another great peice of advice would to not buy anything expensive for the dorm living, because it will only be used for one year. The most important advice that I wish I would have known as a high school senior would be to start building a resume when you first start school. Thay way in a year or two of schooling, it can just grow and you will not have to stress about building them from memory. Last but not least, you have to enjoy yourself throughout your college years! Make your memories worthwhile.

The type of student who should not come to Pittsburg State is someone who is unmotivated and unwilling to try new things. To really make your college experience great, especially in Pittsburg, the best way would be to get involved with clubs, sororities, fraternities, intermurals, athletics, etc. If you are unmotivated or do not wish to attend class regularly, that makes it difficult to be able to pass your classes and eventually succeed in the process. The opportunities given here have a great impact on who you meet and how to socially connect with potential life-long friends.

When someone askes what I love most about my school, usually I tell them that I love being apart of the only Gorilla mascot in the United States. I also talk highly of the cross country team, and track team seeing that is where my athletic passion is. Our athletic department itself is amazing, and the academic programs are all accrediated and affordable. One of the best programs we have involve nursing and engineering. Not only that, but our campus is beautiful (especially in the spring) and the professors care about your succcess.

brandon

I would tell myself to develop better study habits. I made good grades, but didn't manage my study time very well. Also, to communicate more with my instructors, this is very important at the college level. I would remind myself how important it is to manage time in general so that there is time for school, work, sleep and fun.

Nothing, I visited before enrolling and they done an excellent job of answering all my questions.

Tatiana

If I had the opportunity to turn back in my high school days would think that most would consider as soon as I graduated and immediately enroll in college and not take as long as I did now would be a good opportunity for me to go back.

Tatiana

I think we are to younger to know to the life matters but we need to put more atention to what we want for the future. Si tuviera la oportunidad de volver atras en mis dias de escuela superior pensaria mas en que quisiera estudiar y tan pronto me graduara matricularme de inmediato en la universidad y no tardar tanto como lo hice ahora seria una buena oportunidad para mi el volver atras.

Mariah

In college you need good study skills, and responsibility to get to class everyday because college teachers will not let you make up a test or assignments. In college you do not have your parents there taking that next steps with you. One huge advice I would give myself is to save up as much money throughout summer as possible. The next huge advice I would give myself is to sleep as much as possible before college because with studying and the loud dorm you will not be getting much sleep. Stressing about having a major is not important the first year. I would go back and tell myself to stop stressing and just relax because college is not as scary as everyone thinks. College is a new experience and is just the next step in life so just go with it and enjoy.

The campus is big enough to see and meet different people each day but small enough to see all your friends while walking to classes. When you are in a class you don't feel left out or invisible, the teachers notices you. I absolutely love the small class sizes,because the teachers know your name and they will help you when you are in need.

I would have to say the friendly environment. The faculty are very caring and compassionate for each of their students. Pitt State's campus is beautiful! I can walk by someone and they will say "HI" even when I dont know them. The class sizes are small enough to get that one on one time with the teacher. I walk on campus and people are always doing fun and interesting activities.

Marqus

This school is based around teaching, so if you are not in that arena, you are somewhat out of the focus. It is unique in its class makeup on campus. The need more bus power for the students.

I appreciate this school because it has my major which is Graphic Design. Because it is a small school you would think it woud be easier to filter different classes, but there are either a lot of students here, or there is not enough coursework. Most of the coursework surrounds teaching degree, since this is actually a teachers state college. I do appreciate the counselors and teachers in the school of Technology and I like the fact that I live off campus and close to that school. Campus life is not the best, there may be some things to do for some people. i think the fraternities and sororities have the best fun and activities. There are no black affiliates on campus. Since being social is not what I am here for, it has taken a toll on me to study and make friends with others. My major is not easy, it takes a lot of work, but my grades are different that what I think they should be. The teachers tell you , that you will make 1 grade then they give you another. Maybe if they like you good grade, if they don't then bad. I try hard.

This is a small school, non the less I think it is a good school. Sometimes I can not get the coursework I want because the classes close fast. The course work is somewhat hard. Sometimes the teachers are not expressive. Sometimes blunt in their personal ways. Sometimes you can tell they don't want to be close knit with the students. I don't know if college life is just blunt like that, or if it can be personal and helpful to a student. it should not matter what race or culture a student is, to extracta personal quality.

Patrick

Out of my college experience i have met so many great people that I am sure I will cherrish for the rest of my life. I also gained an amazing theater experience that I would love to have again. I also love all of my classes and the experiences I'm having are incredible.

Before coming to Pittsburg State I wish I would have known to save my money so that I would not be completly brook wile at college. I also wish I had known to better reserch scholorships becasue worring about loans is not fun and having dept sucks.

I think that any type of person should attend Pittsburg State, I have met tons of different types of people ranging from Art Majors that are completly antisocial to Jokeish Fraternity Guys and every type of person I have met loves it here and loves there group of friends. Pittsburg has the perfect invironment for everyone its small enough for the small town feel but big enough with the down town area that if a city is what you want you have it. Pittsburg State has an amazing art department and theature but also has tons of sports.

Caleb

Pittsburg State University is a small yet diverse universtiy that has its main focus on its students, to provide them with a great education, and provide them with great career opportunities.

Pittsburg State is best know for its school spirt and great graduation rate.

The college experience has shown me where to place my priorities. And those would be on getting an education. Instead of partying, it is more important to stay in a nd study so you will be able to get that education. It also helps with making your time decsions b etter. It gives you experience, and lets you know how the real world is going to treat you. My first semester in college has been the best experience in my educational career. And I am looking forward to what the future hold in my college career, and where it takes me in life.

Pittsburg State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.