Pittsburg, KS
Pittsburg State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pittsburg State University

Andrew

College is great. There is so much freedom, excitement, new people, and best of all plenty of free time. This free time is really the huge difference between high school and college. Some use the free time to play their favorite video games such as Call of Duty or Halo 3. Others use their free time to sleep their life away and do absolutely nothing. Several find themselves going out several nights a week and getting intoxicated. This, by the way, I do not recommend. And then of course there are those who study almost every waking minute they are not in class. This however, I also do not recommend. I think the secret to being successful in college is to find the balance between both your social life (which can be very important) and of course your studies. Getting good grades should be your primary focus because; this is of course why you are there. To achieve and become something better than you are now. Students should stay on the task of getting their degree, starting their careers, and hopefully bettering the world in the process.

The worst thing about my school would probably have to do with the type of people that go there. I am a freshman that lives in the dorms and it seems like almost every single girl goes out and gets hammered every single night with all of the Frat guys. Because of this it is basically impossible to have a relationship with any of the freshman girls unless you plan on getting cheated on.

Probably the most frustrating thing about my school would be the fact that i live in the dorms and the fire alarm gets pulled on a regular basis. And apparently it's the law for everyone to evacuate the building after it is pulled. So thanks to the drunken girls and frat guys we often have to march out into the darkness at 3 a.m. Never a good time lol.

Jacob

At my school anyone that attends gets very involved with whatever the school is doing. We are always going to games, plays, musicals, etc.

I would tell my self to make sure that I knew the process of being admitted into the college. I would also tell my self to understand more about the financial aspect of it and what I can do to make college less expensive for me.

The worst thing about the school would be the dorms right now. Some of them are old, but they are in the process of remodeling all the dorms and building new ones.

Randolph

Knowing what I know now there are three major things that I would tell my former high school senior self. I would tell myself about applying myself and building relationships. One thing that I have learned in college is how to get things accomplished through applying myself. It took me awhile to figure out that I have all the power and knowledge I?ll ever need to accomplish any task set ahead of me. You just have to put forth the effort. If something needs to be done then do it, if you don?t know something then look it up, if you don?t understand something then ask the professor! Also, you have to be able to roll with the changes. This leads me in to building relationships. Whether it?s with teachers or students building relationship is high important. Not only is it nice to have some friends to hang out with, but it?s extremely beneficial to have students who know you subject of study to help you out with you school load. And it can be even more important to build these relationships with your teachers because they know more than you can imagine.

There are many things that set my school apart from the others; however, I believe it?s the academics. Pittsburg State is known for many great programs such as auto tech, nursing, mathematics, business, and many more, but that?s not what makes it so great. At Pitt State there are about 7,500 students. This means smaller class sizes and more attention from teacher which makes the learning experience much easier compared to huge rooms filled with hundreds of kids being lectured to. Going here makes me feel part of something good. That is what makes it the best.

You have to go there with a positive mind set to meet new people, work hard in class, and always remember what your goal is. At Pittsburg University you need to be able to do all of these things. Whether you are talking with professors or meeting new friends there is nothing more valuable from learning from others experiences. You have to be willing to attend class and pay attention! And finally keep your mind on what you want to achieve, because then you will succeed. If someone does not possess these qualities they aren?t meant for Pittsburg University.

Caley

The class instructors are very considerate and they listen.

The class instructors are very considerate and they listen.

I would strongly suggest not slacking off your senior year of high school to start. It is very important because those grades largely determine financial aid an individual could receive. Also, work on being an independent person rather than depending on others. Being a college student, I have realized being an independent person helps socially and emotionally. College for the first time is very nerve racking and stressful. Another bit of advice, be prepared intellectually. College only gets harder so taking high school work seriously would benefit. Another point, get involved with your school. Be active in clubs and organizations. These show leadership and other skills people attain that can also be very useful when filling out those scholarships. Be organized! Organization is very important in college. It is all up to you, your parents aren't going to tell you to clean your room anymore. Overall, keep an open mind and use your head. It's not hard, but may get challenging. Go to class and do your work and transitioning from a high school senior to a freshman in college, you'll be just fine!

Chelsea

Pittsburg State University is best known for two thing. The first thing is school spirit of the student and the community around it. This is a very big thing and during their games most businesses have very few customers compared to the rest of the time. The second thing is the quality of education. It is said to be one of the best schools to get your education. These are what Pittsburg State University is known for.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have a few things to tell myself. The first thing would be to listen to Mr. Brown. His lectures about college are the truth and will be extremely useful. The second thing is the rumor about being about to leave the classroom after the professor is late for so many minutes, depending on their degree, is false. Thirdly, start saving any money you can. Something about college makes you want to leave home as soon as possible and you'll need the money to be able to do that. Finally, you won't be in classes with people you have known all your life. Sure, you will have a few classes with one of them, but most of the time you won't see any of them. You will be sad and feel alone sometimes, but you will make new friends. Some which will have more in common with you than anyone you grew up with. These will become some of your best friends. Everything consider, you will be okay. This is what I would like to say to the younger me.

There are only a few things that I think is wrong with Pittsburg State University. The worst thing about my school is the distance between some of the buildings. This makes it hard to get to some of the classes on time. However, most of the teachers are willing to excuse your tardiness if you inform them the first day about your situation. This is the worst thing about the school.

Andrew

Its a very nice quite school that does what it can to help the students.

Its a very nice quite school that does what it can to help the students.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to not make the same mistake i had done and to finish strong and study for all the classes and to take the ACT one more time to try and get a better score. Also i would tell them to start than looking for scholarships so he would have plenty of time to hear back from them to save up money for college. I would then tell them to go down to the college a week before and drive around the city to look for a job than so he could get one before the rest of the college students came and took them.

I love the small classes, i feel like i have more of bond with the professor.

Take your time when deciding what field to go into. College is a great experience and is nothing to be afraid about. Don't be anxious. You will make new friends that you will have for the rest of your life, and you will lose old friends because of the time it takes to study in college. You have to study! College is nothing like highschool. You make your own success. Work hard and you will suceed!

All types of people attend this school.

rebecca

A small campus that is easy to find your way around. They keep up the lawns and it's always pleasant to walk back and forth from classes. The classrooms are small and there's alot of emphasizes on writing to learn which is how I excel in my learning. The instructors are not readily available to see them personally but are extremely prompt in answering emails.

I didn't go to college right out of high school, I chose to marry and start a family. I took college courses here and there but wasn't dedicated. I, also, didn't research the trend of the job market but took classes I enjoyed which may not help me in my career in the falling economy. I would tell myself to wait on the marriage and children go straight to college put my heart and soul into it and go in a field that would still be stable under difficult times. I would also strongly encourage myself to continue my education during my life time. It's a very rewarding experience to learn something new everyday and keep your mind active. I love going to school and will be sad when I am done getting my degree but I plan on taking my own advice and continue keeping my mind active for a very long time

I went in alittle blind going from a junior college to a university and I am an older student that has had stops and starts in my education, I wish the staff would have been more explicit with the class requirements for my degree. I took several classes that I didn't have to and really didn't enjoy.

Tiffany

Pittsburg State is unique because of its small class sizes and it's true college community. One on one help with teachers is amazing and gives me all the help I could ask for. Having a community that supports my school so much is very inspiring and exciting.

I would tell myself that school is my number one priority and studying is much more important than hanging out with friends. It is important to go the extra mile in every class and not just get by with the minimum. Bill Gates did not become who he is today by doing minimum work. A strong work ethic is very important in becoming a leader in the community or even a leader to the world. Also, buy every book the professors recommend students to read and all textbooks too. Books help you further your extra mile!

I wish I would have known what i wanted to do with the rest of my life that way i wouldn't have wasted time with classes that I don't need.

Pittsburg State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.