Mahwah, NJ
Ramapo College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ramapo College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

Julianne

My classmates are a lot like me because they are looking to graduate in four years and come out of college experience and ready for a full-time and strong job.

I would give myself the advice to look forward to learning and new experiences and to take every opportunity that comes my way.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the walk to my classes in the cold weather.

Kelly

Ramapo is a diverse school committed to exccellence.

Ramapo is a diverse school committed to exccellence.

Do not be worried that you did not get into your first choice school. You broadened your horizons and chose the right school for you. Ramapo was the perfect choice and you will be completely happy there.

I wish I had known to get into the teacher education program earlier.

Masae

I would give the advice to myself or any high school senior to really think about what I would want to do after college, for a career, and what would make me the most happy. Knowing this ahead of time saves precious time and money during college, and helps you make sure you graduate on time. I entered college undecided, and I'm paying the price for it now- I might not be able to graduate on time, now that I know what I want to major in. I would also tell anyone to get involved on campus, make connections with upperclassmen and faculty, and get to know your professors, since this will help more than anything else to open up your opportunities for success during college and after you graduate. Lastly, go ahead and take risks. Start saying yes to (healthy) things you normally would just pass up. Volunteer and go exploring, since this is your time to really see your place in the world!

Someone who is looking for a lot to do on the weekends should not attend.

Joanna

The advice I would give myself would be to not rely on what other friends say on where I choose to apply. I would remind myself about the expierience I am having now and about how I absolutely love my school and the time I am having here.

I like that Ramapo is a smaller school because I know many people but am still getting to know people as they come in and we meet. Once i joined Greek life, I met a lot more people and made friends for lief.

It is a liberally sound school, but anyone would enjoy this school. There are always activities and things to do on and off campus. It is primarily seen as a "suitcase school" and often weekends are a bit dull, but for those who stay we have different things going on to keep busy and have fun.

Allison

Apply to the schools you are interested in even if you think you may not get in, there is always a chance that you are what they are looking for. The SAT and GPA scores listed on the web sites are averages, which means that there are people with scores higher and lower than the averages. Visit the schools, go on campus tours, and take the time and opportunities to meet faculty and staff. You also want to choose a school that you feel comfortable at, not just that you want to eventually fit in to. Be openminded about each school until you are certain you do not want to go there. Don't let a good opportunity pass you by based on previous misconceptions of the school. And if you can't decide on a college in the end, make a pro/con list!

I wish I knew how much I would truely love Ramapo College because it would have saved me money and time with applying to other colleges!

If you are NOT a person that enjoys small class rooms, wonderful dorms and campus buildings, friendly faculty and staff, and welcoming students. If you do enjoy these things, then Ramapo will be perfect for you.

Peter

The environment is unique due to the location of the actual campus. There are mountains all around it, but Route 17 is full of stores, restaurants, and anything else you could need while living at Ramapo. Anyone can have a car on campus, including freshman, so finding a ride to 17, which is two minutes down the road, is very easy, and always fun.

Some advice I would give to students about finding the right college is look for the college that fits your personality. One that is not too big, too city, too small, too rural. Find the right mix of all of that and you'll feel comfortable being away. Also, visit as many open houses as you can , talk to the professors, see how engaging they are in conversation, how interested they are in having you as one of their students. Make friends as soon as you can, because by the second semester, many people have formed their clicks and settled in to a routine. Be confident. To parents; you cannot choose where your child is going to be happiest, only he or she knows. This is the point where you have to let them pick their path and decide their future for themselves. Help is of course appreciated, but try not to be overwhelming. College comes once, and for many, it defines where the rest of their lives will go.

The enthusiasm found in the teachers is probably the best aspect of Ramapo. When looking at other colleges during open houses, the professors only seemed interested at the kids that came to them, but at Ramapo, they came to the prospective students to show them how great of a school Ramapo is. That is why I chose Ramapo, because I saw how interested the professors were in their students.

Kristen

Ramapo College is known for being a commuter school.

Ramapo College is known for being a commuter school.

There is definitely a lot of reseach involved. It is best to visit a bunch of schools even if your aren't sure you will like them. That way you are able to narrow down your choices to those in which you are very interested. I suggest visiting schools over weekeds during the summer going into senior year or even weekends during junior year. Doing this allows one to keep focused during senior year and narrow down which applications can be sent out. Although application fees can be somewhat expensive, I suggest applying to as many schools as possible and there will be no regrets later on. I love my school but I sometimes have regrets for not appling to other schools that may have been good for me as well. After acceptance is delievered and the choice of college is dwindling, it would be best to make a final trip to the top three or four schools to get a better idea of exactly you are looking for in a school. It might even be a good idea to stay over night to get a real experience. After all, you will be spending the next four years there.

I wish that I had known that the campus is dead on the weekends.

Finding the right college is an exciting time for students. At the sane time, however, some may be more excited about leaving the nest rather than analyzing how colleges will help them achieve professional success. While parents can't force their kids to attend a specific school, they can guide them in the right direction. First, establish whether you want to live home or go away; if you are going away, think about how often you want to come home so the distance correlates with what you want. Next, think of the personal and educational benefits of attending a big or small college. Bigger colleges offer more social activities and you graduate holding a well-known school name; smaller schools offer a more intimate learning environment. Equally important is identifying some of the majors that interest you and making sure your potential college has a reputable program in that department. Lastly, figure out your personal interests and needs. If you prefer city life over a rural area, try to find a school that fits your other criteria in the city. If you have a disability, make sure the campus is accessible and provides services to help you succeed.

The best thing about Ramapo is the small class sizes. The average class size is between 10 and 25 students, which enabled professors to hold discussions with their students instead of just lecturing. The students are able to take on an active role in the learning process. Professors also build personal relationships with their students and learn their career aspirations. It makes it easier for students to have their career questions answered and for professors to learn the true potential of each student.

The most frustrating thing about Ramapo is that it's not a well-known school that holds weight in it's name. While grades and academic success speaks for themselves, it seems as if they mean less to employers because the college isn't well-reknowned. At the same time, however, the quality of the education is excellent.

Natalia

The beginning of my sophomore year, I transferred to Ramapo College of New Jersey from Saint Peter's College. Compared to Saint Peter's College, Ramapo College is a relief, environmentally and financially. Growing up in an urban neighborhood, I realized that I did not want to attend a college in an urban environment. I wanted to experience college in a different atmosphere. Also, Saint Peter's College has a very costly tuition, that I was not able to afford since I was not receiving any financial help during my sophomore. Ramapo College is half of Saint Peter's tuition.

Finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is hard. I advise all students to apply to as many colleges as possible. To all parents, I would advise them to help their children visit as many colleges if possible. Unfortunately, the procrastinator that I was then, applied to colleges at the last minute during my senior year in school. I was on time for deadlines but I didn't look for as many colleges as I should have because I was worrying about the colleges that I was already applying to. I wasn't sure about which college I wanted to attend because I did not find the spare time to look for colleges on the internet. Though I preferred going out-of-state, I knew that attending a school in-state would cost less. At the end, one out of five colleges that I applied to, accepted me. To accept was my only choice; I really wanted to go to college. But I had financial problems at the school and ended up transferring to a school where I am now content. I believe that what I've experienced would not have happened if I procrastinated.

The best thing about my school is the environment as a whole (including the scenery, students and faculty). They are the pieces that make Ramapo College of New Jersey what it is today. Living on campus is a peaceful experience, surrounded by woods. Whether it is joining a club/organization or going to a public event, a student will have no problem finding a friend. And the majority of faculty and staff that I got to know are approachable and really encourage students to try to go out and have hands-on experience to understand their major or class better.

Ramapo College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.