Shaw University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Shaw University

Emoni

Shaw University is a great learning institution. They offer a wide range of majors and teachers who are willing to help you achieve. The number 1 thing I love about attending Shaw is the diversity, just because it's an HBCU doesn't mean it's just blacks who attend. I've met great friends and gained a lot of knowledge so far and only been attending for two years. Budgeting, history of my college, how to study more wisely and much more was taught to me while attending. Shaw also offers a great meal plan. Sometimes the food can be great and some days it just isn't. But all around its an awesome school.

T

Shaw University could be a great school if they better their housing, food, and financial aid. I attended for 1 year it felt more like high school again wasn’t much to get out and do on campus, I feel as if they should have more activities and opportunities for the students. I would love to go back but with the financial office I can’t!

Michelle

Shaw University is a very important University and it is a good HBCU in the south and around the state of North Carolina. The teachers and the academic advisor are the best people in the school and they are there to help to help students who are in need of help. Shaw University is epic and they accept students all over the world.

keila

Shaw University is a baptist based campus and is also a campus open to the public. Many of the students at Shaw are involved in either sports or have no involvement at all. Most students have either a job or in work study to help them through college. The housing on campus is alright, there are lower classmen dorms and upperclassmen dorms. Dorms can sometimes be either hot or cold and the bathrooms are a community. The food on campus is not always the best but the luckily we are centered in the middle of downtown so there is always something new to try or somewhere new to go. While being a current college student, most struggles in college come from procrastination and lacking sleep sometimes trying to make up work. The campus can sometimes be a great place to be and other times the campus is boring and nobody might be here. A lot of in-state students go here and many different cultures are involved​ around campus. Shaw campus is like a hit or miss sometimes.

Christine

I feel as if my University has the potential to be one of the greatest HBCUs. There is a need to enhance the political science department. The University should receive more funding towards infrastructure and beautification, it will boost retention rates.

Deztini

My overall opinion of Shaw University is that it is a well rounded HBCU, the school works very hard to make sure all students have what they need, SGA does very well to not only make sure it is a great learning environment for students but also a fun environment that we can be comfortable in while we’re away from home.

Masophia

I honestly have enjoyed being at Shaw University. While being at Shaw I had the opportunity to become a member of the Beta Rho chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc and I am now the 2018-2019 Miss. Shaw University. I went into Shaw with an open mind set. I am always ready to learn and better myself and campus with my other peers that are involved in campus activities.

Simbiat

Shaw University gave me the foundation to do wonderful things with or without my professors. Shaw University gave me the opportunity to understanding the different between the real life values/lesson beyond what is in the textbooks. Shaw University is a place that guides and protects ones focus on the bigger picture of the surviving in life no matter what.

Ann.

Shaw University is a below average school. There are many flaws to this university or should it be considered a university? The U considers itself to be epic, but does not meet that epic experience. The living conditions are depressing and disappointing, for a parents to send their child to a school that not pass living expectations is sad. The faculty does not care for students and will not pay any mind to your issues. The café a place where students should be able to go to receive an enjoyable meal is the complete opposite. Also to that the hours does not fit around your schedule and you'll miss out. This campus is dry majority of the time and does not offer much an extracurricular activity. This school is a waste of not only your time but money. Invest your education somewhere else where you'll get your moneys worth. This school is not a what you make it college.

Marissa

Shaw is the school or you if you want a small class room setting and to feel more at home. The only issue I had when first looking into it was the freshman dorms but as I visited other colleges all freshman dorms wee the least attractive. The campus staff and family are rally welcoming tho.

Kieran

Shaw is a historical HBCU . It's hard to believe there still up to par with today's society. This university has a great educational system that forces the students to be responsible in their learning. I experienced quite a lot of growing up at Shaw and I was glad I got to go through it. Shaw U .... U Know ......

Kieran

Keiran

Bryant

My opinion of Shaw University is that it is an average school. Its not good and its not bad because there are some flaws to Shaw University. The good about the university is that they give their students chances and some of the faulty care about the students and try to help them as much as possible. What I love about the university I attend is the history behind the university. The history of the university is what makes this school so prestigious.

Tyheera

Shaw Univeraity is a wonder historica black college university. The staff are amazing and test students with respect. The food could be better and I hope to receive quarter machines for our laundry soon.

Natasha

Shaw university is a black school. The school was founded in 1865. This was during the time when most black people were not provided much with education and it started as something to help with education for the black community. Shaw university is a well proper university that promotes the sense of education and changes the stereotypes that is given to black people and this means being able to provide to education for our generation especially in the black community. Shaw university enhances education by making sure everyone receives a degree in whatever major being studied. Being a Shaw student I think that being in Shaw university has promoted better education to people especially the black community.

Jesus

Shaw University was the first University I have ever attended. It was a great first choice and it provided with me with a good experience that I will be able to use to my advantage for my future. I enjoyed getting to know the people at the school which include both my peers and my professors. Overall, I enjoyed my stay there and I highly recommend others to go there as well!

Kedesia

Shaw University is the best HBCU because, there's so much history behind this school and I am honored to be part of it.

Deja

Shaw University is a part of my family's long list of traditions. Shaw University's tradition as a school supports unity as a family. Shaw University was founded as the Raleigh Institute. Shaw University has been called the mother of African-American colleges in North Carolina. I know in my heart that anyone who is privileged enough to step onto Shaw's campus and call themselves a true Shaw bear would be honored.

Alana

Shaw University is a great school. The teachers are all nice. The campus is clean and a beautiful campus. The students are really friendly. The sports here are incredible, they have dedicated people in all their sports. This school is just overall great.

Katherine

Shaw University needs improvements all around. From the financial aid to professors, and to facilities.

Victoria

It is convenient to downtown with different festivities to participate in. The class sizes are average. The professors are patient in helping the students learn giving everyone a chance to succeed. It is a great place to meet new friends, develop lifelong friendships while getting a degree in your specific field of study.

Teniya

Shaw is a good school and is in a great location. The professors are here to help you. The girls dorms and bathrooms can be upgraded. I like that the classes aren't that large and if you communicate with your professors they will assist. The faculty is very knowledgeable when you have concerns referring to your classes to take for the upcoming semester. With this being my first year, I have met some great people this year. Shaw has made me become independent. My parents aren't at the school to do everything for me. I had to learn how to do it on my own. I would recommend Shaw to any incoming freshman.

Felton

Shaw University is a school that tries to get all students involved. You can feel the culture within the school. They do different things inside the school to make it better and they also hold events on school campus that usually attracts the whole campus to participate.

Jaden

I like Shaw University, when I arrived there the people I met were so nice with helping my With my classes and I love the campus because it’s so small to the point where you can’t be late a class even if it’s across the campus. Not only but also my fellow peers that I met where really nice with helping me if I need help to a class.

Marcia

Shaw University is becoming a slow process and can use some improvements, the teachers could be more engaged and the school could care about their students more instead of just extorting money. Another thing Shaw can use some improvements has far as food and the dorm life.