Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

Carissa

I think the biggest difference from the school I chose and others I considered is the relationship between the professors and the students. Most of the professors are well known in their academic field, and yet they teach at a school where they don't get paid well because of their love for their students. The professors are very helpful in guiding you on the path you choose and working with you through their classes. Most of them remain friends with the students even after the class is completed. They are truly invested in their students success.

My college experience has been priceless thus far. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has been vastly different than I had imagined, but I have learned a great deal. I have learned the value of work, and how to get things done. I have learned about scheduling and planning, making goals, and prioritizing. I have learned that things don't always go as planned. Although being a perfectionist usually results in good products, it is not always the wisest method. I have learned to manage my stress and balance my life. I have learned about true friendship, relationships without high school drama, and about love. Most importantly, I have learned about myself. I have a much better idea of who I am, what I want and where I am headed in life. My classes have enlarged by view of the world and taught me to ask questions and find the answers. Knowing who I am and how to learn are skills that will help me succeed throughout my entire life. It has been a hard journey, but as I said earlier, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I brag about my teachers and the class sizes. I love that the biggest class I have had while here is 30 students. I took an upper division chemistry course with two students. The smaller class size allows for the professors to know their students better and for the students to build a stronger support system. We get great help from each other and guidance from our professors on a collective and individual basis. Most of the professors came from well known schools and could have taught almost anywhere, but they are here because of their love for us.

My classmates in every class are respectful to teachers and fellow students, studious, and come together when tests or group assignments come due to study and prepare ourselve by teaching each other or discussing different points of view.

Southern Virginia University focuses on a Liberal Arts education with a basis in preparing the leaders of the future; the University's stance is that everyone can and should become Leader-Servants and supports the importance of a relationship with God. This is different from practically every other school; greatness is expected and everyone one supports on another to achieve that greatness.

To this point of my college expeirence I have learned that it is very important to speak up, get involved, serve, and do my best. Southern Virginia taught me those values. I attended another college that did not show these values. While in High School I was the only Mormon in my school and wanted to have the opportunity to be surrounded by Mormons and to have the benefit of a diverse campus. Although the majority of people here are Mormon there are still some that are not, they are respected and valued and make a huge impact. We have a lot of International students which gives a lot of opportunities to meet and learn about other ethnic groups. I am so excited to be at school at Southern Virginia University because the atmosphere, values, and challenging school work allow growth with a wonderful support system. Although school is stressful and there is stress on this campus we are able to get things done that we need to and are able to succeed and feel completely empowered with the choices that we make. This University has given me an amazing education with amazing teachers who help and care about me.

Kimberly

I started college last summer and learned so much since then. College is more hands on than high school, and I learn better by doing something, so I benefit from the college experience. Also, college has taught me responsibility and time management. I no longer have my parents there to tell me to do my homework and get things done. I have to get myself to clean, do my homework, and get all the necessary things done. Time management is a huge thing I had to learn when starting college. Getting up in the morning, being on time for class, making sure I had enough sleep at night, taking time for homework instead of doing something else were all key factors that I learned through college. Also, with today's society attending college is a must in getting hired at a job. Even if the job does not require a college education, the person who has the college diploma will get the job over the person who does not. Lastly, the people I met at college are ones that I will never forget. Overall, college has made me a better and stronger person, and it is very valuable to attend.

Lynette

College will change my life, from where it is now to be more independant. I believe that education is very important to improve your life. It is said that Knowledge is Power. With out knowledge I can not improve my sitituation. I plan to take this knowlege and better my life for me and my family with a full time job that pays better than minimum wage.

Vincent

They have a strict honor code and comitment to excellence, students here learn how to learn, research, and ultimately are more prepared for the wt their career upon graduation. Students here do not major in drinking, but are focused on academics have an attitude of service. The goal of the university is that ever student should become a Leader-Servant.

During my time at Southern Virgina University i have been taught effective ways to study. I have made many important contacts that are well connected in my field. I have learned how to be a leader servant as concert master of the small orchestra here. I am not a music major but was able to fill a gap in the orchestra. I have learned of the joy that comes from serving my fellow man at our regonal area medical drives that give free medical care to those that stand in need but cannot afford. I have learned tenacity and hard work from small classrooms and professors that do not comprimise on thier core outcomes and expectations. This school has excellent professors that are leaders in their fields and well experianced. The student body here as a whole is involed in the community, has a spirit of service about them, and a dedication to academic exellence. I feel confident in my abilities and that no matter what situation I may be faced with, thanks to what i have learned here i know i can succeed. I have already started preperation for the L-SAT and i am confident I will excell.

The opportunity that a small school of this quality can deliver is excellent. You have much more opportunity to be in student government and participate in sports, as well as a myriad of extra curricular activities. Because of the small student population the school is able to offer much better career opportunities through its networking of teachers and alumni.

Frank

So far, I would describe my experience at Southern Virginia University as a very positive one. Being at a school of under 1000 students and in a city of under 10,000 people really makes you feel like you are part of a tight knit community, and not just another fish in the sea. It's been a great experience for myself as a student, because I feel like my questions and needs are met by the professors, and they genuinly care about my well being on an academic level, as well as a spiritual level. I have thrived in SVU's academic environment thus far, and don't see any reason on why things would change any time soon. At first, I was nervous to come to school at SVU because of the strict rules and the rigid format things seemed to be laid out in, but in time I've grown to love the standards here and appreciate the emphasis placed on becoming a leader/servant, and know that I'll be a better person for the things I've learned from this university.

Anybody who isn't used to being in a large city type environment would be very comfortable at this school. Also, anyone who likes to actively participate and learn in class would like SVU.

I like to tell people about the small class sizes and the fact that the professors have great relationships with the students.

William

Even with my learning disability, and high cost of living, It is time for a change to improve my family income through going to college can assist me in giving my family better life. For William J Johnson receiving a college degree is chance to improve the family income, give me a better career. Because the ability to put food on the table, light in home will stay on; Have better life for family give me as the husband to hand my wife a safe home to my wife and family. My wife won’t have to worry about wear will our next meal come from. College experince at Henderson Community College is teaching me daily i need learn more in addtion work hard in learning new things and don't give up. Scholarship will help pay for private tutor assist for the whole spring class.

Kaia

Southern Virginia University is best known for its motto: Genius of Small. The university centers everything that it does around this theme. The classes are small. At SVU, you won't find yourself in a large lecture hall or auditorium. The professors know you personally. I once had the opportunity to talk to one of my professors about Harry Potter in the school cafe and then went to his class and studied Russell and the Problem of Induction! The small size of SVU allows it to be more like home. There is a quite determination that guides all university aspects.

During these past few months at Southern Virginia University, I have been blessed in many ways. From orientation to classes, the entire experience has been wonderful. I have gained more understanding of the both myself and the world. I am currently taking a philosopy class, something that I never planned on doing. Philosophy is not something that I ever imagined myself studying, but the small class size here and the wonderful professors have made even a difficult subject like philosophy interesting. It has been valuable to attend this university because I have been blessed with wondeful lessons. I have learned about the nature of the soul from classes as well as the nature of humanity from literature. The opportunity to attend college has enriched my life. In coming away from my family to attend college, I have been able to truly discover myself.

Calissa

Upholding a high GPA is not only a good idea, it's essential if you want to get to the places you dream of. You need more than luck and wit to achieve, you need skills and optimism. It's alright to make mistakes, as long as you correct them when you learn better. Be respectful to your teachers, because some of them will inspire and encourage you for years to come. Listen to your parents when they tell you to manage your time wisely, because this ability will dictate whether or not you succeed in college. Pay attention to your friends, give and accept encouragement with them as you all enter this new phase of life together. Treat everyone as if they have a broken heart. Above all else, never give up!

I wish I had known how little a college student reallly needs to survive and thrive when packing, and how much more important it is to call home than to laze around on a Saturday morning.

People who have no personal ambition, no self-restraint, and low standards would not feel comfortable here. The students are all excited to be here, want to learn as much as possible, and have high hopes and expectations.

David

Time travel, the impossible dream of the modern world. What is so appealing about time travel? True there are many uses, most of them dishonest and bent on self-gain. many people say that they would use time travel to go back and bet on a certain sports team or pick a ceertain to win lottery number. Few admit to thinking of bettering their past selves in a way that is beyond financial gain. Honestly, a nice sum of money falling right into your lap is a very appealing idea, especially when it can pay for your entire college tuition, but even more important then financial gain is learining about oneself and the world around you. If i could go back in time, I would advise myself to look past the wordly items, as appealing as they are, and to look at my life and ask myself what am I doing? I would stress the importance of that question and then I would encourage me to stpp being idle, don't just laze around staring off into space, grab a book and learn. There is nothing more exciting and self-fulfilling then having knowldegeof and understanding the world aroud you.

The worst thing about the school is the location... This is an extremely small town and so without proper transportation, there are not too many options to get away from school life.

Someone who is not self-motivated and/or does not have a desire to help others. This school focus's on the concept of becoming a leader-servant, if a person does not desire to better themselves by serving others then they should apply elsewhere.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.