Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

A small liberal arts bassed education. There are very few students making your education the best that it can be because you get personal attetion. The liberal arts program assures that you will learn a bunch about both your major and other parts of the worl that will help you think and express what you learn.

If I were to go back to myself as a senior I would say "hey Jenn, before you leave for college understand more about your dyxlexia and how all that documentation will transfer. Also make sure you clean out your room entirely so that mommy doesn't have to do it when your cousin decideds to move in. Lastly, love life now and in every moment that you are in, don't look back or forward too often, make sure you live for the moment and love it for what its worth, always thanking God for it. Study hard, play often, and never give up! I love you girly. Good luck."

Katelyn

Its a small school with more one on one with the proffesors. The students live to the standards of the honor code.

If i was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would tell myself to research more scholorships instead of feeling like the tution is really and feel guilty of how much my dad has to pay for. Another advice I would give is to complete my fafsa sooner, I could have recieve more if me and my dad had completed sooner. I would also tell me to buy knee lenght shorts and dresses since the honor code at the school doesn't allow anything shorter than that. Also not to go on a trip so close to leaving for camp because it caused alot of stress on my part and my family back home.

people who can't live the honor code that is in place at this school or if they dislike small schools.

michael

My school offers a unique learning enviornment, by adhering to a strict moral code. This allows students to feel safe and secure in their learning enviornment and stay out of trouble.

classrooms are small and while this can be a benefit (more one on one learning) it is also kind of a hinderance.

Ben

Many students, including myself, had a slight fear when transitioning into the so-called "real world" of college life. This entails a much more predominant financial, educational, and social weight than ever experienced before. However, many transitions in life are inevitable. All we can do is roll with what we are given and hope that there will be someone to guide us along the way. The biggest piece of advice I would give myself would be to simply enjoy the transition for what it's worth. In retrospect, I probably took high school too seriously in many regards. And although balancing a social life is important, I also probably worried too much about what people thought about me. But, I digress... My advice? Dance around in the hallways more. Talk to people outside your cliques. Make friends with teachers. Schoolwork in high school is important, but it is static and somewhat trivial-- concentrate on finding out who you are. High school is light compared to the weight of college. Enjoy and embrace your freedom-- college boasts freedom too, but a different kind.

Callan

My classmates are incredibly friendly and helpful, and are always looking out for each other.

The community at the school is one of its best features. The teachers and faculty have a great relationship with the students and the students have a wonderful relationship with eachother. Because of its size it's very easy to stay involved with people and activities because you're so aware of them. The whole spirit about the school is very warm and welcoming. It's very easy to feel like its a place where you belong because most everybody around you makes you feel that way.

College is a transition. Coming fresh from high school, it's easy to feel like you're just taking another step forward through the high school experience instead of climbing up the steep staircase that leads to adulthood. Everything is pretty much the same-classes, sports, clubs, and tuitions, but the attitude and emotional atmosphere is completely different. You no longer have the set of rules or immediate and direct consequences that kept you tied to your responsibilities in high school. You are only tied to yourself and what you want for yourself or what you are determined and dicsiplined to keep. If you don't really know what that is, it will be difficult for you to keep up with the responsibilities. It won't affect you as immediately and directly as before, but the slap of reality will eventually come in a much harsher way with a longer sting after it hits. While it's difficult to transition from being a teenager in school to being an adult earning a degree all in one summer, it's necissary if you want to be successful. Don't waste time, slowly build yourself into the adult you would admire now!

Brooke

If I were still in high school, the one thing I would tell myself would be one simple thing; work hard, save now. In fact, save ten years ago. No one ever told me that college was expensive. I was never told to save money because college was going to burn a hole in my pocket. During my senior year of high school I had no savings and complete intent on attending college. It wasn't until I realized how much money I would have to take out in student loans that I started to think, "Wow, I really should have saved up for this." Refusing to shorthand myself by attending a second-rate college, or start my life in debt, I decided to take a year off of school and save up funds so that I could attend my desired college without worrying about money. Currently, and for the past 7 months, I have been working three jobs and 75-80 hours a week so that I can build a better future for myself. Only now do I understand the value of hard work and the importance of staying out of debt.

Abigail

My classmate are caring, considerate, and driven people who have high expectations, not only in themselves, but also in each other.

"Don't pick the school based on basketball. It's not going to turn out well, and it'll just be a frustration later. The other thing is your major- change it. Sports management was a cool idea but you'll be super bored in the classes. Philosophy is a better pick, and you'll enjoy the work. Outside of class, I know you hate working out, but after the seaso,n you really should consider going to the gym. (You do gain the freshmen fifteen, it just hits you later.) Other then that don't pack so many books; you're never going to read what you brought. However, leaving those books at home will give you space to accumulate more books- and these you'll actually read. Now you'll read these when you should be doing homework, but in end they work as motivators to get the homework done." To myself, from me.

I wish I would have known not to be as nervous. I think that my anticipation of how the school was going to treat me made me miss out on some social opportunities early on. I was too conscious of the LDS environment the school promotes, and immediately felt like I wasn't going to be accepted because I'm not a member.

Brenna

The Genious of Small. The class sizes at SVU are extremely small so undergraduate students at SVU are getting graduate student level attention and experiences. The teachers know all of their students individually and this allows for students to find mentors and friends with their teachers here at svu.

If i could go back in time to my senior year of high school i would tell myself a lot of things. I would tell myself not to worry so much about the smalls things in life and focus on the bigger things. I would encourage myself to make goals for my future and stick to those goals no matter what. I would also tell myself to go to SVU to start out with instead of the University of Missouri, this would have really helped my GPA as a freshman. It is more important to get your homework done than it is to be out till fourin the morning with a cute boy. If i could give myself those few words of advice i think my freshman year would have gon a whole lot smoother.

The best thing about my school is the atmosphere that is here. Its easy to makes friends and to get to know alot of people, also for a college setting its really low key and peaceful. The landscape is beautiful and the people here a beautiful too. It is just a good place to be.

Most of my classmates are happy, outgoing, bubbly, crazy, intelligent, diverse, amazing, giving, helpful, willing to learn, fun, hardworking, and most importantly my friends.

I would tell myself, "Care less about what other people think. Be yourself. Think outside of the box, be more analytical. Do not push yourself so hard, because you know what you are doing, you know how to get where you need to go, so you should not stress yourself so much. You know where you are going, you know where you came from. Now act on that, do not wait until the last minute to be sure of what you want. Take it and go with it. You are capable of being strong and independant. You work hard. Keep working hard, because it will pay off. Keep good friends, because they will either make you or break you. Pay more attention in math, learn to like it, or at least learn how to do it. Keep reading, because you learn so much from it. Stop worrying about the drama. It will not matter after graduation. Be more outgoing and more aware of the people around you. Do not be so easily discouraged. You really can do and be whatever you want to be, if you only set your mind to it. Set the bar high, you will succeed."

The most frustrating thing about SVU is that I really cannot afford to go here. I love this school, but it is really expensive. The school cannot provide me with enough financial aid to cover everything, and I understand that they do not have to do this. I am drowning in student loans, and the school is not doing well enough financially to help its students stay here. The education is entirely worth the money. However, I am very worried about paying back the student loans I took out in order to come to Southern Virginia University.

Tamara

A place preparing students to be leader-servants.

A place preparing students to be leader-servants.

The advice I would give to myself as a High School senior would be to take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. There have been and still will be many opportunities for me to learn and gain experience in life and it is important to take advantage of those opportunities. To take the extra religion classes, or participate in travel study programs, or volunteer at Project Horizon or a local hospital, just anything that would help me grow emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, or mentally. I would suggest to all to take advantage of programs and clubs that are offered on their campus or in the local community. Out in the world you recieve a totally different kind of education than in the classroom.

The spirit felt here at SVU is incredible and it has strengthened me in all aspects.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.