New Paltz, NY
State University of New York at New Paltz

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend State University of New York at New Paltz

Cailey

Almost everyone who attends this school will you tell you to come here. I haven't found that with other universities attended by friends of mine. Everyone at New Paltz wants more people to come to New Paltz.

I would tell myself not to give up. I've gone through six different majors, and each time it has felt like everything was falling apart and I would never graduate. But these changes have led me to where am I today, and I couldn't be happier. I would tell myself not to let the opinions of others sway my decisions, hether that be my decision on my major, a minor, or the school I chose to attend. In the almost three years since I graduated from high school, I have learned a lot about myself and what I'm capable of, and that wouldn't have happened had I not experienced the stress of transferring, switching between departments twice in one semester, juggling school, a job, and commuting 90 minutes each day. College is scary to a high school senior, so I wish someone had been there to tell me it's going to be alright. Your decision then may affect your immediate future, but it won't change the fate of the world. If you know where you want to be someday, you'll find a way to get there. That's all that really matters.

Extreme conservatives should beware of the liberal population at this school. It would be very easy for someone really conservative to be offended by many people on this campus.

Dana

Dear Dana, I know that right now, college is the one thing that is almost always on your mind, yet is the last thing you want to think about. You know that you need the experience and that it will be a great one, yet you are afraid of the change. You wonder how you will ever become the college freshman girl who will be moving all of her stuff into her new dorm on move-in day. Trust me when I say that she is every bit as a part of you now as she will be then. You will be her from now, to graduation day, to move-in day, to the first day of classes, and every day after. Believe that you will be ready, because you already are. Like many stages of your life, college will not be your "best" years, nor your worst. I have learned that college is truely what you make of it. I know that you have the courage and the capability to make it exactly what you need it to be. After all, I should know! Love Always, The Self You Will Become

The best thing about my school is the value that you get compared to other schools. I feel like here at SUNY New Paltz you can get the same or at least close to the experience you would get at a good private school for the price of a SUNY school. The town and the surrounding area is beatutiful. I feel very safe here. There is also a lot to do on and off campus. Furthermore, most of the professors are very knowledgeable, approachable, and very helpful.

The worst thign about my school is definitely the food. While it is not completely unbearable, you get pretty tired of the food at the dinning hall really fast. Still, there are some other good places to eat on campus and some great restaurants in the town.

SUNY at New Paltz is a college that surpasses others in terms of quality of classes, satisfaction of students, opportunities available, and beauty of location.

Unfortunately, SUNY at New Paltz is best known for its reputation from the 1970s as a place to do drugs, especially marijuana, and party.

In my senior year of high school, my group of friends experienced much drama that led to a schism. It was by no means pleasant, and I often felt alone that year. If I could go back in time (and not create a paradox), I would tell myself that my true friends would stay with me, not only through the schism, but through our journeys to college as well. So what if I lost a couple of friends? I made stronger ones in return. Really, it is quality that counts, not quantity. Although I might not believe my future self, I know that I would take note that I made it out of the situation as a better person who is not alone. At the least, I would be amused by the apparition.

Tess

New Paltz is an interesting and life changing school, one that is worth the long commute or high tuition; it is a place where lifelong friends are made, minds are opened, and the so called "college experience" comes to life.

My first year of college was dreadful. My best friend/roommate dropped out a few weeks in, and I could not make other friends from New Paltz. My new roommate and I didn't get along, and I eventually got a single room, which isolated me even further. There were many times when I wanted to go home and give up in my pursuit of higher education. If I could go back in time and tell my high school self to approach the situation differently, I would not hesitate to take the opportunity. My advice would have been to branch out and try and make friends, attend events, go to the gym, spend more time outside, and join clubs during the beginning of my first semester. I would have warned not to rely on my high school friend as my only confidante. I do not regret getting the single room, although it was lonely, but it would have been more ideal if I instead had a roommate with whom I got along. If I received this advice, I undoubtedly would have had a happier start in college. I am ecstatic I have started to enjoy myself in my second year.

The worst thing about New Paltz is trying to balance school work and social life. I want to be involved in many clubs and hang out with my friends, but often I have a lot of coursework and I don't have enough time to do both. And, scheduling is sometimes an issue. For instance, I have five classes on Mondays. It's a long day that ends with a lot of homework. However, it can be done with some effort, it's just very difficult.

Tammy

The best advice I could give my high school self is to go to college immediately upon graduation. Do not get married the following month like I did. I would also tell myself to be sure and take ACT test as soon as possible while all of the newly learned information is still fresh.

Heather

Most of the students here seem to be dedicated to being at college and completing thier majors, while getting good grades and having a good time.

State University of New York at New Paltz is probaly best know for its art programs as well as its beautiful campus and dedicated staff.

Some advice I would give to my high school self since being in college would be to relax more and learn to appreciate what you have back at home more than before. Being away at college is very different from being at home; you have to share a room and bathroom with others and are miles away from friends and family. I should not have stressed out as much in high school as I did. I worked hard in high school, which paid off with my grades and credits, but I definitely missed out on truly enjoying high school, especially the last two years. When going away to college, things are very different. One is in a place that is unfarmiliar at first and in a situation very different from any other. High school me should have spent more time with family and friends actually living life and experiencing what it has to offer. Another thing would be to appreciate having a kitchen opposed to a dining hall that is a ten minute walk away and serves food that may or may not be edible. Overall, relax and enjoy what you can before you have to worry about student loans.

Kimberly

"I'm telling you," I emphasized, "it is better to work hard in high school-- take the long road, the road not taken." The younger me tried to argue by reasoning, "But college is college and as long as I graduate high school, I'll find myself in the same place in the end." I sighed, realizing I could not persuade my younger self, understanding that stuborness is what held me back. I stared at my younger self for a moment, and before she could continue arguing, I cut her off, "Your life will change more than you can comprehend. A year is more time than you know. Don't waste your time, you're smarter than that." She couldn't help but roll her eyes as her stuborness swelled within, causing blindness to my wisdom. Even as a golden opportunity was given to change my past, it became apparent that only hindsight vision is 20/20.

Allison

If I could go back in time to give myself advise as a high school senior, I would begin by emphasizing how important it is to put in as much effort as I can. Studying becomes a necessary procedure for college classes. In high school, I often would walk in to take an exam without studying or even looking at my notes. I learned quickly that I could not get away with this practice in college. I would also tell myself to reread every writing assignment I hand in. Professors appreciate a well-organized and comprehensive essay. They take grammar, structure, and effort into consideration when grading writing assignments. Between studying and proofreading, my grades in college increased dramatically, and I felt more pride in what I was turning in. If I were to give myself advise early, I would have said to start working harder as a senior, so the work load would not come as a huge shock. College tests your knowledge as well as your skills and effort; therefore, it is important to work your hardest.

The best thing about my school is the program for education majors. Since SUNY New Paltz was first created to be a teaching college, the program has always excelled above other schools. The professors have often worked in the fields they teach, and they can connect the material they teach to real life classroom examples and stories. The advisors are very hands-on with making sure field work is set up and completed correctly. Education professors also care about what students will deal with after they graduate.

The worst thing about my school is that there is not as much to offer for commuting students as on-campus students. I live 45 minutes away from my school, and professors do not always consider the time and money put into commuting to campus. They tend to assign mandatory meetings or talks that students must attend. They do not think about the work schedules or driving time and gas money that commuter students have to deal with each time they are asked to come to campus.

Start the application process as soon as possible so that you can have as many options available to you as possible, definitely do not leave it to the last minute, because college can be fun and new friends can be made. Make sure to look at both the upsides and downsides of each school.

That it was pretty windy and rainy and the combination is not as pleasant as one would hope.

Ashif

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would adivice myself to not waste any time on playing video game ansd start doing real reasearch paper instead of copying and pasting stuff from the internet. I think it would make my life whole a lot better if my past me knew more about the work amount the college courses have such as reading books and writinf orginal work etc. I would also tell past me about being serious about math and science as these two are pretty hard subject if you dont complelte the basic classes in high school.

State University of New York at New Paltz administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.