SUNY at Albany Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY at Albany

Charlie

I really enjoy attending Suny at Albany the campus is beautiful and there is plenty of things to do. I haven't had a professor that I hated, and haven't had any problems with classes. The people are great and it's easy to make friends, overall a great school to attend if you have the financial stability.

Marie

Overall, I think UAlbany is a pretty good school especially for the cost. It's not academically difficult in the sense that I'm stressed always stressed out but I've never felt as if I'm overpaying for my education. I also really enjoy the social scene. You can party every weekend if you wanted to. But UAlbany is a big school and not every student enjoys to party so there are also dozens of other activities to do on the weekend. It's a very well-rounded school.

Enyasha

I'm a current freshman at the campus and although I haven't started yet I do know that I will have a good time from my time on campus thus far. I'm more excited about attending college than high school. Albany has a lot to offer the students while challenging them in new ways. My brother attend the school and I plan on doing the same this year. I promise Albany will be my family legacy.

Erin

There are so many opportunities for students to get involved. We have 13,000 undergraduate students which can seem a little overwhelming at first, but by getting involved, you make a tight-knit group of friend with whom you share all your experiences. People call it SMALLbany because even though it's large, it does start to feel like you have a family.

chelsea

I loved SUNY Albany. The only reason I left was because it is pretty pricy. It was a great place to meet lifelong friends and the education was amazing. Some of the classes were hard but they challenged you in the best way. I do wish the classes had been smaller though.

Niloy

The school is pretty good! It has everything you would expect from a university and the biggest thing is the campus food is actually good for once on top of the fact that there is lots of places to choose from. As for negatives, the biggest downside is the very hot and tight room spaces, its a room for barely one that is squished to make room for two people. To further the problem the campus dorms can get very noisy, especially during the weekend nights. The quiet hours are never enforced so you may have trouble sleeping. Academically a good school though, if you can look past the dorm situation.

kenia

Overall, a great school that educates the students and motivates them to continue their schooling. The professors are great and do try to be on campus for office hours. There are various areas in the school that people can study, hang out, etc.. It's a big campus.

Alexa

I just transferred to UA after attending two other colleges. I can say that this semester I have learned so much compared to what I knew before. This school was very easy to get used to and get comfortable with. I have definitely been challenged academically, which is great. I'm looking forward to continuing with my education here. I made a great choice to transfer here!

As a New York State Resident, this is the best choice I could have made. I partook in a large number of AP courses in high school, so I came into school with 35 college credits and the status of a second semester sophomore. It is currently my second year here and I will be considered a senior this coming spring. I am triple majoring in Financial Analysis, Accounting, and Mathematics, and will be finishing up my economics minor this coming spring. I participate in the club field hockey team and the running exchange. As a native western New Yorker, I don't mind the cold, so I absolutely love the winters here.

Brianna

The overall environment of the campus and its students is warm and welcoming. Freshman year I joined the World of Psychology L-LC leading me to gain instant friends due to our similar interests and classes. Now that I am a sophomore I still spend most of my days on Colonial Quad (Sophomore only dorms) with my friends who were in the same L-LC as myself although I live on State Quad (Freshman only dorms) because I am a Residential Assistant. There are many clubs and organizations that are available on campus that allow students develop character and grow academically. Personally, I am training to become a Peer Wellness Ambassador for Middle Earth. This branch of Middle Earth focuses on outreach and motivational interviewing sessions with students on campus. As a psychology student this allows me to gain hands on experience in the field I want to go into. On the other hand, teachers are a hit or miss. In my 3 semesters here I've had at least one teacher each semester who would read off their power points. You could tell that the students were not engaged in class. The amount of students showing up to the class from the first day of class to a month into school would drop dramatically. However, in non-lecture classes teachers were more devoted to engaging with their students and making the material interesting to learn. The dining hall food is edible. Every quad has their "best meal". Go over to State Quad if you want a hearty breakfast. There are most lunch options on Indian Quad and I suggest for dinner you walk to Colonial Quad. The best food found on campus is in the Campus Center food court. There's a pizza shop that serves huge slices. Jazzman's serves great coffee and also offers sushi. Fountain Grill always has the largest line and you can order good old American food there. Keep into account that the University at Albany (SUNY) is currently building the east edition of the campus center which will be completed in Spring 2017. All-in-all I plan on staying here for my Masters Degree because they offer a B.A-M.D 5-year program which allows me to take graduate classes for undergraduate prices.

Grace

SUNY at Albany is a university filled with many opportunities. During my freshman year like many first-year college students, I was both excited and nervous about this new journey. At this school, I have made memorable friendships and met exceptional teachers. University at Albany has many opportunities for students who are on the pre-med track. As a biology student, I was part of the Living Learning Community. Living Learning Community provides incoming freshmen with an opportunity to live with students who have the same passions and academic interests. Not only it is an opportunity to learn from other students but it is an avenue to make meaningful friendships. There are over 15 living-learning communities available on campus. Additionally, in your first year on the pre-med track, you will be taking General Biology, General Chemistry along with its required labs with either Statistics or Calculus. The professors are easy to talk too and encourage their students to attend office hours. Biology and Chemistry classes are taught in the lecture centers which seats about 300-500 students; therefore, it is very beneficial to attend office hours. Moreover, having a good relationship with your professors makes it easier to work in their research labs and receive letters of recommendation. There are many tutoring services available for Biology, Chemistry, and other majors as well such as CARRS and BioClusters. Apart for the academics, University at Albany houses more than 200 student organizations. During the first week of school, most of the clubs and organizations have a general meeting to welcome students. Whatever your passions are you will find a club that suits your interests. For students in the pre-med track, there are clubs like Minority Association of Pre-Med Students (MAPS), Pre-Med Club, Five Quad and much more. I am a very active member of the MAPS. MAPS is a pre-health club that aspires to diversify the face of medicine. In this club, I have learned more about my journey to the medical field and have the first-hand experience in the field. This is one of the tremendous clubs that Albany has to offer. You can even start your own club. During my college application process, I wanted a college that had diversity, a place where I could learn about other cultures. SUNY at Albany was the perfect match for me. Unlike many colleges in upstate New York, SUNY at Albany is very diverse. It contains students and facilities from about 100 nationalities and cultures. At this college, I have learned to become a leader and I am very proud to be a Great Dane.

Uzodinma

I enjoy the campus life and it is important to stay involved and up to date on all the activities going on. There is definitely something for everyone to partake in as long as you are willing to go out and find it. The campus is beautiful but the dorms are not up to par with the campus itself. The food is good enough to bulk anyone up a few pounds and the academics are fair as long as you're willing to put in the work. It is your typical college experience.

Tahaliah

Over all Suny at Albany is great university. It is very diverse and consist of an astonishing amount of extracurricular activities. There is a balance between the social and academic factor. The Human Biology (Anthropology) department does an university are relatively large, professors commit to offering office hours and extra excellent job in directing and assessing each student.

Reyna

I genuinely love my school. I have had one or two issues with a professor who was unclear but that didn't fully interrupt my learning process or my eagerness to learn. I do wish they provided more scholarships that weren't merit based for those who don't possess the highest of G.P.A's. However, the money that I have invested in the school is very well spent. It truly gives the perfect college experience.

Ofu

U'Albany is a really good school, of course there are somethings we'd like better such as better food and rooms, but overall I'm happy I came here. You just have to be willing to put yourself out there and you'll have a great time.

shanice

I think overall it's a great public school. It's in the capital of New York but there's not much to do in the actual town at night. It's great for political science majors since all the internship opportunities available. There's always something going on on campus. Whether it's the Student Association hosting it, a sporting event, or an event hosting by one of the hundred of organizations on campus. There has always been construction during the four years I've been there, so it's a plus there's always a new building or feature but also a downside to waking up to construction noises and having to find new routes to get to places.

Tarianne

The experience is going well so far. I am only a freshman so I have a lot more to learn about the culture of the school. Truthfully is a good school with some helpful and caring professors. I wish the students were a bit more involved in a political aspect but like I said still more to learn.

Sheila

I think SUNY Albany is overall a good school but it definitely has it's flaws. It can either be a good for one student, but not the best fit for another. Definitely visit and ask around.

Nia

SUNY at Albany is a good school. There are many opprotunities available since it's a apart of the SUNY system.

Liza

Albany has a lot of potential, and we're undergoing a lot of construction right now, so the future is bright. I recommend getting involved some way on campus or you're going to be bored. Come watch some athletic games, or be on a team, join a club, start something you're passionate about. There's so much diversity, so you'll find friends from all over the globe!

Susie

Used to have a TERRIFIC department. Then Dean Kim Boyer came in and destroyed it. Minimal faculty left and put under another program where they don't know what to do with it. When I started here it was a vibrant department with faculty that really cared. UAlbany got rid of most of them. They also used to take students to Grace Hopper - now, nothing.

Serena

SUNY Albany, or mainly known as UAlbany, is a great place if you are looking to meet interesting people, a variety of over qualified professors, an abundance of extracurricular activities, and a complete college experience. Living at UAlbany is not that bad. Some of the rooms are a little small, but if your lucky enough to get a newly renovated room, you will have plenty of space. For freshman, there are special communities called living-learning communities where students are grouped with students of the same major. They live together, have similar classes, and an easy way to meet people with similar interest. These are usually in the freshman quads, State and Indian. You will always miss your mom's cooking, but the food here is not awful. If you wanted to, you could eat hamburgers and fries for dinner for a week. Or, you can feast on a large salad with cheese, beans, onions, carrots, broccoli, etc. Just make you get some dessert from the dessert bar afterward. All of the professors her have a Master's degree or higher in their field of expertise. That does not mean they all can all teach well, but they will be able to answer your questions thoroughly. They encourage students to email them and to go to their office hours. This is useful to everyone. If you don't think you understood it in class, maybe a one-on-one with your professor can help. I'm not saying the professors can't teacher, I'm just saying that it can be difficult to hear or understand them; especially in a class with over 100 students. Most classes are between 15-30 students, unless you are taking a class like psychology or biology, then you may have a class from 100-350 students. Don't be frightened by those numbers. Get to class a little early to get a good seat near the front. The extracurricular activities expand from cultural and interest clubs like, the Japanese Student Association and Astronomical Society to athletic clubs such as, Mixed Martial Arts and Rugby. There are also many sports teams that you can watch at during the week and on the weekends. There are always events going on whether its academical or recreational, there is something to please everyone's interest. Just recently reproduced the play Caesar at the Performing Arts Center. If that's not enough, we also have a museum that most people don't know about, but it's there. As for parties, there are plenty of them if you don't mind walking downtown with a few of your friends. If not, there are always people to party with on and off campus, though you may find partying with your close friends to be a more humorous event than going to a frat house downtown. Overall, UAlbany has the ability to give each student their own wonderful college experience if the student is willing to seize the opportunity.

Naya

SUNY at Albany is a great school if you want a balanced social and education life. There is always something to do on campus which allows for you to meet new people everyday. It is also good financially which is always a bonus. Overall UAlbany is great.

Ezinma

SUNY Albany is a very diverse school with very involved students. Events are always held at the school to keep students engaged during their college experience and I love that. However, food quality can be a little better especially in the dining hals. But the campus center has good food to make up for it.

Erin

This school was always my top choice since high school. As a resident of New York, the tuition price and location seemed ideal. Far enough to be able to start being independent from my parents, but close enough to visit them if I needed advice or just a hug. The only bad thing I could say about this school is that the winters are the windiest I have ever experienced. There were days I couldn't feel my face walking only 5 minutes to class. With that being said, I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

Princess

Albany is a great school that offers great opportunities that you may not find in any other schools. There’s so much to do both on and off campus that leaves many students confused because there is just so much. Even so I️t is a work environment they make I️t comfortable for us and a reminder of back home in a way.

Stephon

SUNY at Albany is a great institution at which one is easily able to find academics that suit their intellectual appetite, find friends that become family over a short amount of time and discover a plethora of activities to partake in that will keep them engaged and occupied after class or on the weekend. SUNY at Albany is the type of institution to create a future, as well as a present, for its students, regardless of age, gender, orientation or ability.

Ana

The University at Albany has a very welcoming environment for both resident and international students. There are a lot of clubs and organizations in which you can get involved. I personally have been involved in Dance Council, Musical Theater Association, and I am currently the treasurer for one of our A-Capella groups. I also think it is very easy to get around and find your classrooms. During my freshman and sophomore year I had to live on-campus, which was a great experience since it felt like the first step to living alone. I had to do my own laundry, clean my room, and take care of myself. I had access to a dining hall with a great variety of both healthy and unhealthy (but delicious) food, a gym, study rooms, and even a lounge! We also have a campus center where you can get other kinds of food, my personal favorite are The Halal Shack, Starbucks, and Argo Tea. In the future I am expecting to become a Research Professor, and this University is perfect for preparing me for that since there are a lot of research labs in which undergraduate students can get involved. Currently I am doing research on the oral microbiome with Dr. Alex Valm. I am really enjoying my time here and I feel like by the time I graduate I will be totally prepared for what comes next!

Abigail

UAlbany is like any other school that has their flaws, but the one thing that sets them apart is that they are always actively trying to improve the things students want. They listen to what we want, and try to make our living experience better in any way possible. UAlbany is always trying to be inclusive and if you go out to look for something of interest I can guarantee you will find it. The only way to not love college life here is if you make no effort to be a part of something.

Kiersten

As a graduating senior, my time here has be almost indescribable. From the moment I stepped onto campus for my first tour to the day that I will cross the graduation podium (7 weeks), I have felt like Albany is more than just a school. Albany is my home. The student life here is incomparable to that of other schools. Everyone is there for each other, there are no ruling cliques and the school feels nothing like high school. Everyone has their own niche and everyone respects that. There is no singular group that runs the school. While we have an active sports and Greek life present on campus, it is not necessary to be involved in either of those groups to have a blooming and lively social life. I love the camaraderie people form here; the friendships made here are ones that will last a lifetime. If anything, I am more sad to graduate than I would have anticipated. Albany has prepared me for what I can expect from the real world and how to make myself successful in my future. The staff and faculty here really put in the effort to make a difference in students lives whether they are professors, advisers, tutors, counselors, or even maintenance staff. I've never been in a situation where I had no one to talk about what I need help with or what I am going through. Through the University at Albany I have had an amazing job for two and a half years (tour guiding), held an internship (in social media), completed undergraduate research on a team (psychology), and have joined multiple clubs and play one various club and intramural teams. The University at Albany is more than a school to me. It will always be more than that. It will be a place where I have grown as a person, made the best of friends, created a massive network of professionals and students, and most importantly, made a home out of this place. Or rather, this place has made of home of itself to me. Coming in I did not have very high expectations, as I had wanted to attend a different private school all throughout high school, but Albany proved me wrong in more ways than I could ever imagine. It exceeded my expectations and then some. I can truly say I am the person I am proud to be today because of this school. I could not promote it anymore.

Nick

UAlbany has become a second home to me and a place to thrive. Although not perfect, UAlbany is a fantastic community with bright students who care about their academics and faculty who want you to be successful. As a business student, I have had so many opportunities to network with professionals and recruiters in various fields. You will learn so much at UAlbany with professors who have relevant experience and work hard to help you. The spirit and community is great, with various sports that bring in lots of school pride. This school will give you an amazing foundation that will give you a bright future. Join clubs and organizations!! There are so many options. I feel so safe here. UPD is always visible on campus and does a great job of communicating with students. Students feel happy, safe and welcoming here and that is true for every person I have met. Come here, and you will not regret it. You will make your own experience here, but it will be one that makes you so successful and helps you grow as a person.

Linda

It is a very diverse culture with many opportunities to get involved. You just have to put yourself out there. The school itself is very accommodating even though the professors may not be the best. Greek life is also a huge part to the culture here in addition to student led organizations.

Keylen

Albany is an amazing school and i am very happy to be attending this university. I definitely recommend it as the education is amazing and the school in general is also amazing. I am very happy with the resources given to us and the opportunities that we get.

I have enjoyed being a student at the University at Albany. It is, however, a state school, so the facilities aren't as renovated as a private school, but they are working on catching up. The students here are very friendly, the professors are great, and I've been able to obtain multiple job offers before even starting my senior year of college.

Amani

I love the school and it's proximity to state offices. This is very helpful for my research. As a graduate student, I find that there are many resources to succeed and my advisor and administrators on campus are very helpful in making sure that I succeed.

Ayo

it's a pretty good school, they didn't have my major but i switched it to make it work. Class sizes could be a bit smaller but it is a large school. Most of the food on campus is either completely overpriced or isn't very good. It is also hard to get into classes because the organization for it isn't completely fair.

Fauzia

As a sophomore here at this University, I have learned so much about myself in the past two years, I can definietly say that I have changed for the better. In this university, you're exposed to so much diversity that you get to see different views and perspectives about many situations which is one thing that I love about this University. This University provides so many opportunities for students to succeed in whatever career path they choose, theres endless support from each department and I always feel like there's someone I can turn to whether its about academics or anything personal. This school always makes pushes me out of my comfort zone and try to accomplish something bigger and better that will make me stand out when I apply for grad-school. I am grateful for the two years that I have spent here and I am looking forward to the next two years and what I can accomplish with the help of this University. Overall this school is great, and if you take advantage of everything it is offering you are more than likely to succeed and have a memorable four years during your undergrad.

Julia

I really have enjoyed pursuing my degree at SUNY Albany. The professors are great, the opportunities they give students are impeccable. It is definitely a more business oriented school than it is a science school, but it depends on what you want to go for.

Francisco

I am currently a freshman in my second semester of college. I will be graduating in 2021! Anyways my overall opinion of SUNY at Albany is that there are a lot of things to do while you stay here. I can't say that I have been bored or out of things to do because there are so many opportunities on and off campus. Sure Albany was once known to be a "party' school but I can quite honestly say that the partying has died down over the years and that Albany students have focused on academics and extra curricular activities. Overall if you are looking to enroll as a full time, on campus living student here at Albany then you will absolutely have a great experience.

I'm a huge fan of UAlbany. I understand that it is not perfect but I still have had a great experience here. The campus is in the perfect location, pretty much everything you could want is within a 15 minute drive. The free public transportation from campus will take you to almost all of these places as well. The campus food has been improving and is expected to continue to get better in the future. There are a bunch of new places in the Campus Center that have made a lot of the student body very happy. I have lived on campus for all four years of my academic career and do not regret my decision. All of the quads and apartment complexes are close to classes so you will have a 20 minute walk max to anywhere on campus. It does get cold in the winter but what else can you expect from Upstate New York. Overall, great experience here at UAlbany. I would recommend the school to everyone!

Jenna

I enjoy my experience here. I love the social life and the academics. Its the best of both worlds. They offer a lot of different clubs and theres always something going on on campus, theres a few things i would change like the food and certain housing but other then that I've had a wonderful experience so far!

Patrick

UAlbany is a great school! There is so much to do here that it's easy to get involved and make friends. Students regularly go to sporting events, participate in clubs, and attend events that the Student Association hosts such as "Speaker Series" and annual concerts like Parkfest. In addition, I've found that most of my professors are very passionate about the subject that they are teaching. They regularly encourage their students to ask questions and participate during class as well as attend their office hours. I also feel very safe on campus. At night, the campus is well lit and if there is an emergency, we have an emergency blue light phone system all over campus which automatically calls UPD when needed (however, I have not heard of anyone needing to use this system). Overall, UAlbany is a great school and although it wasn't my top choice when I applied, I can't see myself anywhere else now.

jessica

Coming to Albany was one of the best decisions I’ve made so far in my life. The atmosphere here is just amazing. It’s so diverse and where ever you go, you will find somewhere where you fit in. It’s so great not only in academics but socially as well. I really do enjoy being a student here!

Joslyn

It is a place that promotes academic excellence. The professors are caring and dedicated to their students. There are many opportunities to engage with other students through clubs and social and sporting events. The campus is elegant in design.

Eva

Albany is a great school for the cost. There are so many nice people and professors that you always have someone to talk to and someone to learn from. The classes can be big, but everyone is willing to help. There are various clubs to join and activities to do as something is always happening on campus. The food could be better, but it's okay.

Nick

Rachael

It is great school on paper but the experience here is very different. If considering this school make sure to visit and schedule one on one interviews with the STUDENTS themselves. Many times the students that give the tours are trained to say certain things but to get the real feel of the school speak to a student who just goes there. You will receive the most authentic answer to all your questions

Elise

UAlbany is the most diverse and accepting university that I've ever came across. There is always something going on whether it's a crazy intense and spirited D1 athletic game going on, a dance party, or just a relaxing paint and sip in our very own campus center. There is never an opportunity to be bored at this school. Also, I love how open and accepting everyone is. I have never felt unwelcome at any time here and I always know that there are so many available resources for me if I have any questions about anything. This is the perfect school to transition from high school to college because of how at home you feel wherever you go. I can honestly say that every day is a great day to be a Great Dane, and I truly do love this school for all that it offers and all that it provides to make each student the most successful they can be.

Karessa

Great school with an abundance of opportunities and resources. Its up to students to look for them and help themselves. Great overall, they're always trying to find ways to improve their facilities and education system every year.

Damian

UAlbany is an amazing school, offering a wide array of opportunities to fit the preferences of every student. Personally when I came to this school I was a little overwhelmed with an undergraduate population around 12,000 students I thought I would get lost in the crowd here. However, once I arrived I learned that this was far from true. The university did a wonderful job of inviting you into the family like community that exists here in Albany. Of course it does take some effort, I have heard complaints from students who stay in their rooms and only leave for class or food that students are unfriendly. It takes effort, my first year I put myself out there and met a lot of students that were in the same place as me and were just as eager to meet new people. I ended up moving into a room of guys that were a lot like my friends back home and we still live together today. So for anyone who is nervous about going to a bit of a larger school, I would like to share that I guarantee that you will find people you can enjoy talking to and genuinely appreciate being around as long as you are willing to put yourself out there and try.