Binghamton, NY
SUNY Broome Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Broome Community College

Mike

Mike

I am completing my final semester at Broome Community College where I will be graduating with an Individual Health Science degree. Unfortunately for the past two years I have been denied a spot in the Physical Therapy Assistant program. When I applied to the college three years ago my wife and I spoke to the head of Competitive Admissions and were advised that the PTA program was “competitive,” “but if you keep your grades up you should get into it.” My current GPA is a 3.4 and my overall GPA is a 3.3, I consider these good grades (most A’s & B’s with a few C’s)! After $27,000 worth of student loan debt and an enormous burden on my family finances, I was recently told that with these grades I would never be accepted in a competitive health science program at BCC. I was also told that some students with 4.0 were not accepted into the program because they have 300-400 applicants and only 32 spots! I have many good experiences in the classroom and with my professors. Many are committed to your learning, understanding/supportive of unexpected life events and family responsibilities. My advice…choose this college with caution, especially if trying to get into the competitive health science programs. If you are choosing a non-competitive program, Broome might be a good place for you.

Christina

Nursing and dental hygeen. Watch out for the nursing program. It is vetry hands on and you can not miss one class. I mean it! I had a friend in it whose professor would not let her miss one class for her dads open hear surgery. She told her she would fail her and she did. The nursing director is evil. Go to BU.

Take AP classes very seriously. That is all. You do not want to have to retake them!!!!!!

price! very cheep and a great reputation

Breanna

I would have applied for more scholarships. Though the school I am currently attending is reasonably priced, it still adds up, especially with how much I spend on gas driving there. Had I applied for more scholarships, I may have had a bit more help in paying for my education - and any little bit counts.

I'd say that student parking is the worst. All student parking lots are at the far edges of campus, so it's a long walk to class (which especially stinks in the winter time). On top of that, the parking lots aren't in very good shape. There are lots of potholes that can be pretty deep, which can be damaging to one's car. Other than that, I can't think of much to complain about.

Someone who is looking for easy A's. Though it is a community college, and many people think of community colleges as being "overly easy," they do take education seriously at Broome. If you think you are going to skate by, only attending half the classes and turning half the assignments given, then you are wrong and should not attend.

Austin

In high school the education levle was not high scale. Three out the four years I was homeschooled taking online classes. The online schooling program was fairly new so it wasn't at its full potential. The quality was very poor especially in the math department. I then tried public school my junior year and found out that the online was even better. The online classes were actually challenging and made me work hard everyday. In public school there were many free days when would only research papers and such. It wasn't until college that my brain actually started taking in real knowledge. What I really excelled in was English. They fixed my sentence structure and taught me how to organize papers. I had learned that in high school but not on the level that college did taught. So my college experience has played a huge role in my schooling; without it I would not have everyday skills.

Chelsea

While attending college the last two years I have gotten a new found understanding of myself and what I am actually capable of. I never actually applied myself while attending high school, and while recently looking over my records I was 94th in my class of 144 students. Now, after graduating high school in 2006, taking two years off school and another two years attending college, now have a GPA of 3.69. I have gotten an understanding that I can do whatever I set my mind too. I realize now that education is the way I can grow some wings and be independent and free. After graduating high school I started working as a manager at a small restaurant. I was miserable and knew that I needed to do something with myself, for my own sanity. I felt like I was going to be stuck in this dead end job forever. Now that I have attended college for two years I realize that I can go and do whatever I want. I have grown to value this new found power of education, and my own abilities to utilize this power.

The best thing about my school was the diversity among the students. There were people of all ages and from all over the world. I was able to meet interesting people that were very different than me with the same dreams and sharing the same goals. It was amazing how these same goals were developed when individuals have had such different life experiences.

I feel that anyone who wants to put their foot in the door to a good quality education; has a need to succeed and wants to experience a wonderful classroom experience should attend this school. It has serves starting college experience for myself and I would recommend it to anyone. The class times are very flexible and offering night classing. This makes it possible to adjust a schedule to meet anyone’s needs. Anyone and everyone could and should attend this school.

Meganne

My classmates are all very different, some are teens at college for the first time and others are older, returning to college a second time. Each classmate has a unique and interesting view on what we are learning in class. Because we all have different opinions we get to think outside the box and look at something from a totally new point of view.

I was educated at home for most of my academic life. The only time I attended "real school" was in 9th grade. I graduated last spring, a year early because I could not wait to go to college. While still a senior I took an English and History class at the school I am currently attending, Broome Community College. I thought college was full of scholarly people, professors who wore thick-rimed glasses, smoked a pipe and wore slippers and a bathrobe to class. My first day of campus I was armed with highlighters in all the ROY G BIV colors, color coordinated notebooks and a million post its; I was so ready to learn. I took my first step onto the magical campus and stepped in goose poop. Hey, it?s New York, what else do expect? I would go back and tell myself that college is nothing like I thought it would be. Professors are (for the most part) normal people. You?re going to step in bird crap everyone in a while. But it is the twist and unexpected turns that give you a well rounded college experience, and I wouldn?t want it any other way.

At Broome Community College you get a well rounded education. We have a wonderful music department, an inspiring English department, a strong criminal justice department and a dramatic drama department. Basically anything you want to study you can so here. I've taken Italian and I'm currently taking Astronomy. So if you are looking for a wide range of classes and a school with inspiring teachers Broome Community College is the place for you!

Chris

I would tell myself that there are more important things in life than money. When I was in high school, the main concern was "what job pays the most?" and "where will I make the most money?" Since then I have learned many things, not the least of which is that happiness and satisfaction are much more important than income. I've come to realize that going to work every day, knowing that you can put a smile on someones face, or "make the world a better place" for at least one person, carries a value that income could never match. The personel satisfaction and rewards far outweigh any kind of paycheck. Lastly, I would tell myself to trust the higher education system. Even though some classes might not seem important, every class serves a purpose!

Anyone that is not quite sure what their career path may be. There is a broad variety of classes and subjects.

The parking lot. It literally takes up to 30 minutes to get from the lot to the road, which is only 200 yards away.

Kathryn

Going back in time to my senior year in high school I would tell myself to be more open to what previous graduates had been trying to tell me. I had scoffed and shaken my head when friends told me to consider Broome Community College as an option, and I was determined to go as far away from home to a "premier" college that was going to, over four years, put me nearly $200,000 in debt. I was being stubborn and wanted to just "get away" from the small town of Windsor that I had spent the majority of my life. I was so detemined that I applied early decision to the other school. Until later that year when my application was defered, I fought those I loved and tried to convince them I was right. If I could go back, I would tell myself to stop being riddiculous and listen to the people who loved me because they truly only had my best interests in mind. I am grateful everyday that my application was defered because I know my family could very well have been destroyed my actions.

The best thing about BCC is the convenience it provides. It is close to where I live and takes very little time to drive. Additionally, the price is unbeatable because when I choose to transfer to a four year school, my debt will be almost half of what it would be had I originally gone to a four year campus. Moreover, I am able to see my family and friends on a daily basis because I have not left home.

The worst thing about BCC is that they do not have dorms for the students who would prefer to live on campus. For those students (myself included) their choices are to stay at home with parents/guardians or to move out on their own which is much more expensive than student housing. Another problem with this is when there is bad weather because some students travel up to an hour to go to BCC.

Tiffany

Anxious to grow up, not caring much about anything, looking forward to the future, these are the memories I have of being a high school senior. Like most young students, my view on the world may have been obscured and unrealistic, but exciting and hopeful nonetheless. I can still remember my first day of college. The initial feeling of maturity and accomplishment would soon be overtaken with a sense of doubt, and fear of being overwhelmed. College was nothing of how I originally imagined it would be. I never took in account that along with the excitment of meeting new people in a new environment, would also come harder work, and unforgiving professors. If I could have told myself one thing as I walked towards the new stage of my life I was about to enter, it would be to forget everything I thought I knew about college. I would advise myself to proceed with an open mind, and to focus on my own success rather then acceptance. If I had known what I know now, my first year of school would have been easier. But, life is all about learning experiences and I am better person because of it.

Go to class, push through the work, finish the semester with a mediocre grade point average, this is how the average college student makes it through school. Most students don't realize that the school they attend offers alot more then unsubstantial cafeteria food. It wasn't until after struggling to pass my first year that I became aware of all the resources my school offered. These resources were designed to help students from writing, to math, science, and everything in between. Like most students, I was oblivious to these programs that could have helped me significantly in the beginning.

Often I hear stories my friends tell about how they have switched their major because they were not sure what they wanted to do when first attending college. This classic tale is true for most young students, but this normally acceptable sense of insecurity can end up being an expensive mistake. The great thing about choosing Broome Community College for my education is that, being a 2 year school, it's not only a great start, but also extremely afforable. I have the security in knowing that I can make a positive stride towards my future, without the debt later.

SUNY Broome Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.