Plattsburgh, NY
SUNY College at Plattsburgh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Plattsburgh

Shaun

Very diverse and very friendly.

Very diverse and very friendly.

If I could go back into time and tell my self something before i started school, I think i would mostly say stick with it. Try to not worry about your future and really try to get good grades. I wouldn't want to mention any events however i would say that something is going to happend to our family that will tear you apart and make you want to quit school but you need to realise that this is a moment in time that will be brushed away. Eventhough its a huge moment and it is something that changes everything try to keep your head strong and focus on yourself not others. Another thing i would focus on is reassuring myself not to think your not dumb and you can get through this school with great friends and great grades.

How cheap it is compared to going away to school and how i wont be in that much debt from it

William

Plattsburgh is unique because it is so diverse and yet everyone is able to get along so well.

If I could go back in time and see myself as a senior this is what I would say : "Hey buddy. You're doing good. Keep it up. Make sure you keep working on those scholarships. You'll need the money. And make sure you email that lady back about that job on campus. A little spending money while your at school wouldn't hurt either. Don't stress so muc about the changes. The transition is easy. Its like high school. Except mom isn't there to wake you up in time for class or to have dinner ready for you when you get home. And your allowed to party. Trust me. You'll have a blast. Just keep your grades up for the reast of senior year and when you get to school make sure you dont start slacking. Keep your eye on the prize. Grades means money. The more you have now the less you gotta pay back and the better off you are when this stage of life is done. Go get 'em buddy. Your da man.

The people. No matter what you enjoy doing there will always be other people who are into the same kinds of things. Everyone at Plattsburgh is so friendly. There are almost no cliques. Everyone just angs out with everyone else.

Zachary

I would tell myself to work harder in high school. Take challenging courses that will earn you college credit and save your money.

If you don't like the cold, you should avoid this school.

My school is small, but provides an environment different than the area it is located; My school is diverse, fun, educational, supportive, inspiring, well-rounded, unique, accepting, offers many opportunities to become involved, has many options for volunteerism, has provided me with people who know their fields and also opportunities to study abroad, while teaching me to appreciate places different than where I am from (Long Island).

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to study more for the SAT and not worry myself sick about the test! By preparing more, I would have felt more confidant in my abilities to do well on the exam. I would also tell myself to follow my gut instincts about going away to school and trust that I wasn't accepted to my first choice school for a reason, as difficult as that may be but acknowledge that I was accepted to Plattsburgh and to be proud of myself and not compare myself to my friends! I would also tell myself to not be scared to travel six hours from home. It was the farthest I had ever been on my own, and the days before I left home were the most emotional and gut-wrenching for me. I would tell myself to start packing and organinizing my belongings much earlier than I did, so I could have had a less frantic "goodbye" with my family and friends. Finally, I would tell myself to sit back and enjoy the ride because everything will work out the way it is supposed to in the end.

It may sound cliche, but I wouldn't want to know anything different! By being the first generation in my family to attend college (and at 6 hours away from home) I came to Plattsburgh with my mind and heart open to new experiences and I think it provided me the chance to rely only on myself and the people and professors I encountered in my everyday life at school. But looking back, one small thing I would change would be to not pack so much stuff! Dorm rooms are pretty small, especially when sharing with a roommate!

Parties and the environment, hiking, snowboarding, etc.

Parties and the environment, hiking, snowboarding, etc.

Don't rush into picking a college, because it's alot of money on such an important decision.

People that can't handle mixing alcohol and schoolwork

Eva

As for my major, there was much better audio/visual equipment and I felt much more comfortable with the teachers I interviewed. There was also a lot more oportunity to take classes I wanted outside of my major, so that was an added bonus. The school also has connections with companies that are very well known, so networking seemed easy.

Act early. Talk to as many people in your field and major as you can. Look into every option and check again. Be polite. Be outgoing. If you think you have done enough, think again. Pack more than you think you need the first semester, then pack half as much next semester. Trust me, Make time for yourself, but don't neglect your friends or work. Your occupation is a student, not a socialite. Network. Call your parents a lot, and not just when you need money. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and expect nothing.

I wish I had known how cold and windy it would get, where to find things I wanted to do (hiking, biking, fishing, etc), and not to pack too much. Also, I wish I had known to shop around for school books (the school book store can be pricey).

Walter

Mixed, some of the students are young and and some are older.

Mixed, some of the students are young and and some are older.

Make sure you talk with current students at the college you want to attend. Learn about how the school works from the students view not just want the college reps say. Having that"inside" view would be a great way to see how easy you can get into classes. Don't get hung up on partying to much. Crack the books and study. Ask for help if you need it. You can always party latter but you can't ever change your grades and if you want to go to grad school a few bad classes can prevent you from getting into a good school/program.

The fact that there is a large gap in ages, sometimes the younger students are to dramtic.

Melissa

My school is probably best known for it's commitment to the art. Which is probably due to the fact that it is the most visual part of the college in the form of the Sculpture Park. The campus is littered with various sculptures. It allows students and local artists to share their work with the rest of the community.

Research. Visit. Communicate. Those are the three things I found to be the most important in choosing the right college for me. Research collages and programs that seem to support the same sorts of things you or your student is interested in. Visit those colleges to see if their websites are accurate and communicate with as many people as possible during your visit. If the current students are happy there's a good chance you will be as well. As for making the most of the college experience, I think the best way to go about that is to find some sort of balance between your school work and social life. It's important, not as easy as it sounds and the only way you're going to get the most out of your time in college. I balanced my time by writing my paper Friday, having an adventure day with some friends on Saturday and sleeping Sunday. Find your balance and you'll fly right through while having the time of your life.

I'm not completely sure anyone shouldn't attend this school. It was a good experience for me and I think that it's a good environment for anyone. I learned a lot while I attended PSU, both academically and personally and that's what anyone should take away from college.

My classmates take their studies very seriously, but still have free time to enjoy.

Parents should leave the choice of their children's colleges up to their children. The child will know better than anyone else what school will work for them, and will get them what they want out of life. The student should never choose a college without first visisiting it. I would also recommend on sitting in a course in the field they plan to study. When it comes to choosing a college, never settle!! Pick a school that you really like, and can really see yourself succeeding at. A college should be chosed on what it can do for your future- not what the "weekend scene" is like. It's your future, plan it right!

It's hard to get into certain classes, especially the ones that fulfill Gen Ed requirements.

SUNY College at Plattsburgh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.