Schaumburg, IL
The Illinois Institute of Art-Schaumburg

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Illinois Institute of Art-Schaumburg

Sabrina

When I first started school I was extremely excited. The campus was close to my house, so I did not have to dorm. Woodfield mall is right across from the school so there was good opportunity for work and for in school projects, and it was a private school with small class sizes. The first year I attended, I really loved my classes. There was a nice mixture of art classes and general education classes. However, once I was half-way through my sophomore year things started to go downhill. My teachers were starting to quit, my advisor became my dean and it was harder to get in touch with financial aid and the registrar. When I was given a new advisor, he never oversaw the fashion department so he was learning as he was working, which caused a lot of scheduling problems. By my senior year, we went from 5 design teachers to 2 part-time teachers; which also caused a lot of problems with classes being offered. I was on track to graduate a year early and because of the loss of teachers, there was always a chance I might not be able to because my school could not hire the appropriate staff for a fair enough pay. Thankfully, I did graduate within three years however, I have been out of school for five months and I still do not have my Diploma. I received a letter saying I have a balance of $6,000 left on my account and I cannot receive my Diploma until I pay it. My mom did an audit on the file and found out there should only be a $3000 balance left on the account. When she contacted my financial aid advisor she told her it looks like they missed one of my grants and she was correct. She then told her to contact accounting and discuss it with them. When she did, she never received an e-mail back. She then contacted my financial aid advisor again letting her know there was no response and she also never responded. I cannot tell you how frustrating and stressful my last two years of college have been. I had high hopes for this school when I first started and now, I can't even receive my diploma that I worked extremely hard for.

Justyna

It is very nice in the way that it is compact- in one building, and teachers can but don't have to be close to their students. Of course- its a matter of choice and if the student accepts the teachers support. My experience is and has been amazing there!

Juliann

Diverse in the best way possible!

Diverse in the best way possible!

The best advice I could give my high school self is to dedicate my heart and soul into my work. Take all the help I can get and to really focus on being the best within each course I took. I would tell myself not to stress over personal relationships and focus on growing as an individual vs depending on someone else for my happiness. The jobs I had in college were great at influencing my passion for design and I truly should be grateful for all the experiences I had in school. I would tell myself to cherish all the moments I had because some of them as well as the people in them would become my best friends even after.

I graduated in only 3 years and was in my school's fashion show with my own garments that I created.

My school is made up of a wide variety of people of many ages and backgrounds.

My school is made up of a wide variety of people of many ages and backgrounds.

My school is known for the arts; fine, computer, fashion, culinary and hospitality.

My advice would be to not give up. Don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. If you want to do something or be something, go for it. Talk to everyone you can. You never know who you're talking to. Take your studies seriously but not too seriously. Grades are not everything but everything you can learn is. Go above and beyond because that shows you understand the material presented and can use it. Pick a diverse group for a project. Never judge the person sitting next to you. Weigh every opinion, they could be useful. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You're not in college because you know everything, you're there to learn more. Be creative. Use common sense. Talk to your parents, they know more than you think and can help you. Have fun, you're only young once.

Sharon

Because you're going to a small private school, you typically will be taking classes with a similar group of kids. Like grade school, you become close friends with these individuals, and lasting friendships are made. Plus, since it's art school - all types of people attend. It doesn't matter their stereotype, there's a blend of everyone, with no judgements.

In high school we all think we know everything. Like exactly what we want to do for our occupation - which for some, sure, that can happen. However, through friends, families and everyone in between, I've heard horror stories regarding the amount of times these guys and gals have changed their major. And in the end - how much money can you imagine they're spending on tuition just on these constant changes! So my advice - do some research, intern, assist, take up hobbies before choosing your major. It could potentially save you thousands of dollars.

Someone who enjoys learning within a small group (which means he or she will be particpating quite often). Plus, having an creative mindset, but has to keep in mind business and industry standards - you have to be open to critiques and opinions.

An applied art school for artists looking to learn business skills.

An applied art school for artists looking to learn business skills.

Take your time. Find your intention. Doing these things will allow you deepen and enrichen your innate abilities. There is not grand prize at the other end, so there's no need to rush. Learn to find ease and enjoyment in this process. This experiences is as much about helping yourself grow as it is about connecting with other people. The better the relationship you have to yourself, the more confidence, poise and success you will encounter out in the world. Your sensitivies are a gift, and you absolutely can decide your desitiny. Have faith in yourself and you will find deep contentment and enjoyment in life.

The school had great instructors and I felt personally attended to in matters of advising and counseling on a career path.

ashley

What I would tell myself is to never be afraid to ask for help. You will always need at least a little help and double check everything you do. Another thing I would tell myself is that no matter how far down you slide or how many mistakes you've made; as long as you try and work hard you can always clinb out of the hole youv'e dug. Also, it's ok to take a break from school work every once in a while. You don't have to finish everything at one time. There are a lot of things I would like to tell myself back in high school, though those hand full of things would have really been a world of help.

Don't listen to your parents, follow your dreams, and don't let the price of school deter you from what you want to do. It's your life and you are the one who has to live it, no one else.

Eamon

I wish I was afforded the opportunity to go back in time and speak with a younger version of myself about what college life would be like. I would make sure I had a better understanding of the competitiveness and commitment that would be required so I could get off to a better start and not find myself quite as overwhelmed while making the transition to college life.

If someone is looking to get ‘real world’ and hands on experience I would recommend this school.

I would brag about the up to date computers and related technology in addition to knowledgeable faculty members.

Josh

They are well-beahaved and mature

They are well-beahaved and mature

I bet I know what you are thinking. As it is the time for you to do a final performance of this year’s musical, but it’s also the last time that you will ever work on a high school play. I’m aware of how you are feeling. But think of it as the same feeling that you always get in previous productions when you realize it is the very last day of the show. Nevertheless you don’t moue about it, instead you perform the show and give it all your best with a bang. Think of me as someone who will give you the most important advice you will ever hear. First, live your life to the fullest. Cherish it and be grateful for what you have, it will come in handy. Finally, don’t worry too much about your future. There are going to be hard times in college and beyond. But as long as you have a positive attitude and know what you want to do in life, you will be fine. You have the strength, stamina, dedication and courage to fulfill your dreams and without a doubt, you’re going to be something.

The only frustrating thing I can say is homework

The Illinois Institute of Art-Schaumburg administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.