Odessa, TX
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Texas of the Permian Basin

Maria

Dear me, Yes time traveling is possible so I’m coming back to warn you and make clear to you of how important it is to apply to colleges early. I know it seems like you have a few months, maybe a few weeks but the clock is ticking and it’s not ticking backwards like it is now. There is still time, for every second that you waste somebody else is applying before you. But college applications are not your only priority, you must focus on applying to as many scholarships as you can. Do it starting today, apply to at least one per week. Put effort in each scholarship you apply too. Keep up with your classes, senior year is filled with numerous activities and it’s easy to become side tracked but “life goes on in your absence”. I know you think you’re not procrastinating but as your future self I’m telling you that you are, don’t wait another moment. Do things right away and do them correctly, do not prolong any assignments or anything useful. But the most important advice I have to offer to you is save your money for college.

Nellie

This school is one of the cheapest universities I considered. I grew up with the misguided idea that a university has to be expensive, but this school is living proof that it doesn't have to be that way. It's also great in that it has a small student body which allows for more one on one interaction between teachers and students, something that can make a world of difference in both your grades and your overall student experience!

Don't worry so much about how you stack up against the other kids. Just do your best and don't worry how everyone else does, 'cause when you get to college, chances are you won't even see them again for a long time. And if you do, who cares what kind of grades they're getting; they're not gonna be the ones working your career after you graduate so why worry? Life is much too short to be wasted with petty disputes. Keep your head up and stay true to yourself. And just in case you're wondering, you're gonna do great :)

I wish I had known more about how their housing department was set up. The housing itself is nice and very convenient to both the school and the local businesses frequented by college students (a.k.a. Wal-Mart), but I've already had to move 3 times since I've lived here :( That has not been such a pleasant experience. The prices are also quite a bit higher here for a room smaller than something offered off-campus. Even with all the bills paid on-campus, it would still be possible to find something cheaper elsewhere.

tracey

I would tell myself to make a two-years plan for my college life. The plan would really help me to vision my career path in the future. I would be more organized if I made a two-years plan. The plan would also help me to save time and money during my years in college. There would be less chance for me to change major in between my college years. Therefore, I could transfer more easily to a 4-years university in pursuing my Bachelor and Master Degree. Moreover, I would tell myself to persevere continuously throughout my college years and to always have a potive mindset towards life. I would always try to find a solution in every challenge that I face. I would never give up everytime I encounter an obstacle in life. This would then help me to have a strong foundation before I enter the real working life in the future. After all, life is about taking chances. It is just a matter of how much risk you are willing to take in order to achieve your goals.

Maria

The advice I would give myself is that I should have taken more preAP classes and AP classes or concurrent classes. I would have joined more clubs to increase my social skills. Also, I would have tried out for more of the athletic teams to help me become accostumed to being on a team and working together with people to accomplish a goal.

The unfriendliness. Everyone just cared about themselves and would always look down when they were passing a person.

People who like to drink and go clubbing and people who like to be extremely social.

Amber

Very nice, and will ing to help out any way they can. Study groupd is a big thing on campus.

Knowing what I know now about college life. I would tell myself to not get caught up in friends and let them distract me. I would have actually gone to class more than I did, and study a lot more. I would have told myself to work harder in my classes, and keep my GPA up. Instead of having to work extra hard to raise it after the fact. Many students do not think that one semester that you slack off wont hurt you too bad, but it does. I had to learn that the hard way, but thankfully I am still here. I have learned from my mistakes and continue to grow and do better with each new semester.

The worst thing about UTPB is that there us not a football team. So there is kind of a lack of school spirit, but there is basketball, vollyball and other sports that help bring up that school spirit.

James

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin feels more like a Jr. college than an actual university and while it does have many perks such as more accessible professors and smaller classes, the amount of group-think and the absolute lacking of intellectually challenging classes (or people) makes this a dull choice for those hoping for both a rewarding and challenging college experience.

One thing that is unique about UTPB is that it easily allows students to form clubs. I have personally founded the Secular Student Alliance here and am President of the Gay Straight Alliance. This is quite possibly the best attribute of UTPB because the populace often times ostracizes those who do not fall into the heterosexual Christian background. In short, UTPB allows groups of all sorts the ability to be on campus.

While my critique of my university may have seemed critical at times, I believe that this has been the best stepping stone, education wise, for my future. It is only when faced with conflict and resistance can a person truly grow, and I have faced that often here at UTPB. My academics have been nearly impeccable because the classes are not extremely challenging. However, it was because of my idle time that I became an active student leader. I founded and am president of the first student led secular group in this area and am president of the Gay Straight Alliance. I have faced constant resistance due to the conservative leanings in the area, but at all times I managed to resolve all issues for the better of the group and community. In short, while UTPB may not have the challenging courses I desire, it has presented the perfect environment for a student activist such as myself to gain experience and make a positive difference for both the secular community and the gay community.

Jose

What I have gotten out of my college experience is a great education, a well versed vocabulary, and great friends. I have also finally been able to decide what exactly it is I want to do with my life, when before I really had to idea what I was going to do after High School, it was not until I actually went to college and spoke to people with similar interests as mine that I decided what it is I wanted to do, I have decided to become a Mechanical Engineer. When before my life had no real direction now it does and I can think of no higher value than beign able to help me decide what I want to do with my life.

Someone who wants a great education and wants even better friends, but can no really afford to pay for a "great" college.

Someone who is only here because they just want to take some classes so that they could say they went to college.

Amber

Attending college has sparked my academic curiocity and maturned me as a person. When I first started college, I approached education as an obligation. I didn't loathe attending class or doing the homework, but I was far from enjoying it. Now that I have been in college for two years, I have come to see learning as fun. It was simply a matter of getting myself interested. I now love to search through my textbooks for an answer to any questions that occur to me while studying. More than that, I activly seek out information and answers to questions that never occurred to me by attending the lectures held on campus and in the surrounding community. As a person, I have learned that friends are not just people you shop, eat, or play games with. Friends are the people who encourage you when your down, help you help yourself, and inspire you to achieve more. I have also learned that people truly appreciate others who value morals. In addition, I have come to see being positive and believeing in yourself will take you farther (and often times, closer to your dreams) than you ever believed possible.

The professors are always willing to help the students. New students shouldn't be intimidated by the professors. They typically love to answer questions that range from from sheer curiosity to homework related. If you have any problem, even if it is personal, the professors will help you work through it.

I wish I had known how important it was to ALWAYS be on time. Many of the professors take promptness and attendance into account when they are grading. In addition, it is exceedingly difficult to succeed in many of the classes when you miss any portion of the lecture. I also wish I had known that what I called 'studying' in high school is worthless for college. College requires a high degree of dedication and often, the students have to completely learn a new means of studying.

Dahlia

Everyone has a worldview. Not everyone knows what their worldview is. The main value of my college experience the past two years has been the opportunity for me to solidify my worldview. In public speaking, I researched the topic of prostitution for a persuasive speech and gained knowledgable opinions on the subject through the research process. During Economics, I reviewed my notes with an economics-savvy friend and, after exchanging ideas and expanding on topics with her, I developed a firm stance for a capitalist economy. In Creative Writing my final quarter, I then searched out inventive ways to communicate my convictions through poetry and prose. I so enjoyed the opportunity to seek out a true education the last two years, and I anticipate the opportunity to continue solidifying my worldview during my final two years of college.

Katie

I had the opportunity to attend a technical high school to study education. In college, I have furthered my education knowledge and taken more specific classes in order to be a secondary math teacher. My college experience has allowed me to be able to learn the specific aspects of my major & mathematics.In high school, I learned the general information of how to become a teacher, in college I'm learning the specifics which has helped me improve & increase my understanding of teacher expectations. In my first four weeks of college, I have developed more advanced study habits along with improving my time management. It is valuable for me to attend college because I want to make a difference in younger generations when I am older. College has not only taught me my major, study habits or time management,it has allowed me to develop more responsibility in my life. I am now currently working & attending school full time even taking winter classes to get ahead on my requirements. Also, it has allowed me the chance to develop a greater sense of individuality, I am able to pursue my dream at the same time as finding out more about myself.

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.