Thomas Nelson Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Thomas Nelson Community College

Natalie

Thomas Nelson is a great place to learn. The classes are small and the teachers are very involved with the students. There is a great music and theater program. My piano and flute teachers were awesome. I also had a great Spanish professor. I would recommend Thomas Nelson to anyone looking to get an affordable education before attending a 4 year university.

margaret

I think Thomas and I said he’s a pretty great school if you just do the work and pay attention a lot of people think that school is hard but if you waste your time and you don’t do the work then you will not get graded. I had a couple of professors that were hard but the work is there for you to learn so you can pick the right career path.

Thomas Nelson Community College is a decent place to earn an Associate's degree. I have found that the majority of the professors that I have taken classes with were wonderful. The professors in the Biology department are wonderful. They are all very knowledgeable about the subjects they teach. They have always been willing to help students in need. The majority of the professors in the Chemistry department are severely lacking. Out of 4 semesters of general and Organic Chemistry, I have had one good lecture professor and one good lab professor. The math professors are generally good, and the English department is generally excellent. Avoid the admissions counseling office at all costs. Every person I have spoken to, including myself, has a horror story about the misinformation and misguidance they received from those counselors.

Jevonda

It is a great school filled with like minded people who want to achieve. Before I came to Thomas Nelson I attended a big four year college where I felt like I was just another face in the crowd. At Thomas Nelson I feel that I am involved in a community.

Aubree

It was awesome! I completely love Thomas Nelson Community College. It was never in the original plan, but sometimes the unexpected is the path that's right for you. And this was definitely the right decision for me. I've built and bettered myself during my time here and I am more than grateful for the experience.

Treveon

Great school and you save a lot of money. The teachers are good and you get the same education as a big school. The class sizes are not huge and gives you a good aspect of everything to come. If your not sure about college this is most definitely the way to go.

Bryanna

I think the Thomas Nelson is a great starter college. It allows for students who are undeclared to figure out what they actually want to study at the University. It also allows for students who want to save money to finish their pre-requisite classes without paying so much. The professors on campus typically teach other local universities as well. They expect the same type of work ethic from community college students. I will leave the college campuses safe and interactive however I do believe that they need more opportunities for their students to express themselves . They do have a basketball team and occasionally a poetry night but, I do believe that it is in the best interest for them to expand on certain recreational activities as well as getting the student body involved more .

Jinelle

It's a hit or a miss. Some people are great and some of the teachers are great, but some of the teachers are unprofessional and boring. Other members of staff are lazy and rude, they don't give students correct or full information. But overall for the price the quality isn't bad.

Steven

It is a good school for the affordable price that they offer. The provide decent, facilities, technology, and student aid. The teachers I have encountered are excellent. Overall, Thomas Nelson Community College is the best place to go for either high or low income students in VA that wish to cut college costs and go to a Virginia 4 year university.

Levi

Thomas Nelson is a great way to get an Associate's degree, duel-enrollment credits in high school, professional certifications, or continuing education for those already in the workforce. It is relatively inexpensive (for adult education) and the educational quality is decent. However, there is no "college experience" (dorms, dining, sports) to speak of. There is a small performing arts presence and some decent extracurricular opportunities at the main campus, but there is very little to do beyond work out, study, and go to class at the one-building satellite campus where I attend. Ultimately, there is nothing to set Thomas Nelson Community College apart from the crowd...good or bad. I recommend it as a way to avoid debt, but it is difficult to really explore unique interests, ideas, and fields there. Specialization and personal refinement will probably have to happen elsewhere. Critical thinking and research are at a minimum, so go in prepared for the brainwashing!

Ashleigh

It's a community college so there's not much in the way of campus life but the academics are amazing and I've certainly learned a lot in the two years that I've attended. The student services are very reliable the the teachers are all very knowledgeable in their fields. It's a great starting out point for those who want to immediately start their career or for those planning to transfer to a 4-year institution.

Laura

When someone comes to me and asks me my opinion on going to Thomas Nelson for their starter college, I am quick to say, "It is the best place to start and you can never go wrong with going to Thomas Nelson." They are very attentive with the students and majority of the professors are extremely understanding and respectful. When I first started at Thomas Nelson, I was scared because it didn't know that the school would be so welcoming, as it is. If I could give any advice to any new students, it would be to worry more about your school work, then making friends at Thomas Nelson because it pays off in the end.

Ericka

I have only visited the school to get registered and apply. This will be my first year attending. So far the campus looks nice and well kept. I like the diversity of studies i have seen here. I Believe Thomas Nelson will allow me to get the education i need for a fraction of the price of big universities and i like the size of the class rooms.

It is a great place to get your prerequisites done, but other than that, if you know what your 4 year transfer college is going to be, you might want to check with their degree program to make sure that you are on the right track to obtaining your degree.

Shelby

I've had good and bad times at Thomas Nelson Community College. My recommendation is to use RateMyProfessor.com a TON, some of my professors were wonderful! Super helpful, cared about their students, and made the class fun and interesting. But others were apathetic, and that would turn the whole class to feel the same way. The staff of the school themselves can swing both ways, some days they could be super helpful, while others not so much. The campus itself is small but that can be nice.

Jalon

Thomas Nelson is a great school that is always looking for was to develop better programs for their students. I was in the Mechatronics program for about two years, and every semester the previous class I took had advanced the curriculum or added new technology to work with.

A good place to start. Get all of your general education credits out of the way for half the price! Most of the professors are helpful and want you to succeed. I attend the Williamsburg campus and though the building is extremely clean and aesthetically pleasing it feels like a high school more than a college. Overall my experience has been pretty good.

Sasha

I don't think it's a bad college, it's pretty safe and as long as you look up the professors classes aren't too bad. The campus isn't too large, neither are the classes. There is a variety of class times so it's great for working students. or for student who need flexible class times.

Keigan

I go to the Historic Triangle campus at Thomas Nelson Community College. Overall it is a nice little campus, small class sizes, very pleasant professors, and faculty that cares about their student population. As a community college there isn't any on campus housing. You could go to certain apartment complexes for off campus housing but it is not associated with Thomas Nelson. Other than that, it s a small and compact campus. I hear that the campus in Hampton, though not as safe considering the neighborhood is much bigger and has a lot more activities and class options.

Kendall

Thomas Nelson Community College provides a wonderful opportunity to students who are looking to go to college but are not financially or emotionally ready. The professors, for the most part, are friendly and knowledgeable. The classes are the perfect sizes. I would recommend the school to anyone who asked.

Isabell

Though I have just started the school year, I genuinely like Thomas Nelson. It is close to home and so far my professors are all very helpful and easy to comprehend. It's also pretty easy to find your classes, and run into someone you know. I haven't experienced anything disappointing about Thomas Nelson yet aside from the vending machine prices.

Jared

Hell. It takes only one word to describe the place. There is almost nothing redeeming about that college. I had a single worthwhile professor. The content of every class was significantly beneath my level. There were no chances to share my passion for any subject. The faculty were incredibly hostile to new views, new information, and teaching in general.

It's a good school for a community college. Professors are truly great and really accessible. Class size is nice. A lot of people do their own thing so if you're an introvert this school is for you. There is no on campus housing but lots of apartments in the area.

april

Overall, I would say Thomas Nelson Community College is the best option for students who are still figuring out what they want to do with their lives. It is affordable and they genuinely care about the success of their students. The class sizes are small, making it better learning environment compared to a university. I would recommend Thomas Nelson Community College to all students that aren’t sure of their plans yet so you can still keep up with obtaining a degree while also figuring things out without wasting money.

Zipporah

I have really appreciated Thomas Nelson Community College and feel like it has given me space to grow as a member of the community. I like the diversity of the classes and the variety of opinions and perspectives the courses provide. It has served as a launch pad for my future and I'm very grateful to be a student there.

Edris

Well for me Thomas Nelson community college in Hampton is very bad, because everyone that I went there to talk too they were disrespectful to me, but Thomes Nelson community college in Williamsburg is 5 star to me. Love the way they help me. Love the way they help new students.

Thomas Nelson is a good school with caring professors and helpful staff. it has the environment of caring and learning. TNCC is good first step to higher education, and i’ll never forget where i started. there are so many opportunities for whatever field you’re interested in. tncc will help you get to where you need to go.

It's a two year school, so I don't expect a lot from it. I do enjoy my classes, and I feel prepared for a four year school, but it's lacking in some of the things that make college "fun". I just kinda go in, take classes, and go home. Great teachers though!

William

It is a great school to start or build on an education. Everyone should give community college a try for a semester before moving onto a true university. It lets you get your feet wet while still giving you the chance to develop outside of the typical high school environment.