Fayetteville, AR
University of Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas

Paige

School Spirit- Arkansas has excellent school spirit, EVERYONE calls the Hogs it is what U of A is known for. I don't think i would change anything and i do not think it is too large or too small. It fits me perfectly. When i tell people i go to U of A they mostly say, "Oh so your a Hog, Do you yell Pig Soooie?" When i am on campus, i spend most my time in my dorm room, friends dorm rooms, union, or at my sorority house. Fayetteville is defiantly a college town, it does have more to do than other college towns. We have a street known as Dickson street with cute shops, bars, and restaurants. Everyone loves to hang out there! The only complaint i hear about the school the most would have to be from the student who live in the dorms, they seem to always complain about the cafeteria food, but thats a given they are away from there home cooked meals that they are used to having. One experience i will always remember will be going through Greek Rush. It was a crazy time, but also great. I met so many wonderful girls, it is how i met my Best friends today!

For the most part, there are several students who come from the country and could be classified as "hick", but the majority of the students are not what others think U of A is like. As for the fraternity and sororities, you could check a good bundle of them off on your list of what you think Greeks are like. Most do fit the stereotype that is already made for Arkansas.

Most professors know my name, but some do not. Those that do usually it is because the class is smaller. The larger ones it is way to hard. My favorite class so far has been Intro. to Education. I have been able to go to other elementary, middle, and high school classrooms to observe the teachers. It has been great to see what i need to do for my future classroom. I live in the honors dorm so student study alot in my dorm facility, but in other dorms students are crazy and tend to slack off. it also does depend on the student themselves though. Student in bigger classes do not normally attend, but those in smaller classes do. Also if the class is hard they attend and those that are easy students do not attend alot. (Only on test days). I never spend time with my professors outside of class, thats just me, other students do. I am currently in the Education Department, majoring in Early Childhood Education. I love kids and plan on teacher for my career! My major requires students to receive a Masters. It is a 5 year programs, which i love, because i probably would not come back to school to get a Masters.

Greek life is the most popular on campus. I am apart of Kappa Kappa Gamma and i love it! It is the best sorority for my personality! Peoples personalities play a huge role in which house is best for them. I am also apart of StuMo. It stands for student mobilization. It is a campus ministry organization. I love it, and all the people that attend. The honors dorm were i live, most students keep their room doors closed, but in other dorms EVERYONE leaves them open. I do not know why that is. Athletics plays a big role on campus, as i am sure it does on every campus. I met my closets friends either from Greek Rush or StuMo or because they live in my dorm. If i am awake at 2 on Tuesday, normally i am talking with my roommate or down the hall with other people. If i had a test the next day i would probably be studying. People party every night, but mostly Thursday- Saturday. I do not drink and there is plenty for me to do. I have not been pressured to drink either, it is great! Off campus i tutor little children and i do normally shopping!

There are many stereotypes about Arkansas. For example, people judge U of A students as "hill Bill" or "hick". They assume everyone come from farms or the country. Also, many students who are not in fraternity or sorority's and even those who are, think of a "frat" boy as one who wears polo shirts tucked into polo shorts with a polo hat and Sperry shoes. They assume sorority girls wear Sperry's with big poofed hair and named brand clothing (North Face Jackets).

Bethany

The best thing about the University of Arkansas is the laid back community. There is a high emphasis on performing well academically, but there is a lot of flexibility in the system. I think the size is perfect. An immense amount of school spirit resides in almost every student here.

Greek life is the most popular organization on campus. Athletic events are attended in mass. Partying varies from person to person, but I would say an average of 3 times a week. If you choose not to go out on a Saturday night there are always people on campus willing to just hang out. People go to movies, bowling and play putt putt.

Most professors have made an effort to know students name in my experience. Study time varies from student to student.

Tiffany

Arkansas is just right. Its the big school, big football, active Greek life, big Sec school. However Arkansas is small enough to be personal and to meet really fun amazing people. People think its awesome i go to a big SEC school. college town.administration is really good. a lot of school pride.

i think arkansas studets are very diverse. You can find where you belong in any group of people.

NO, Greek life is a great way to get involved. Greek life encourages philanthropic activities and is a fun, sociable way to get involved.

My favorite class was my government class. My teacher was so funny and so much fun. She was young and leniant and knew we were all trying our hardest. She didnt know me by name, but i held her in the highest respect.

Greek life, yes i leave my door open 24/7. athletic events are very popular and always entertaining. i met my closest friends through classes, dorm, and greek life. If im awake im hanging out with friends in the dorm.

That all Greeks do is party and get drunk

Alex

There's a lot of variety and it's not behind in the times. The surrounding town is a bit small though.

lecture classes are pretty easy. Smaller classes are good and teachers know me.

Amber

Great atmosphere and beautiful weather. Just right. Most people think its cool

Great atmosphere and beautiful weather. Just right. Most people think its cool

different experiences with both, definitely had to deal with things I'm not used to

No these stereotypes are not accurate.

Arkansas people are all hillbillys. Arkansas people aren't educated. Greek affliated people are all stuck up people. All frat guys are queers. Athletes are given everything by the school. The only black people here are athletes.

some of them do. communications

Yes students leave their doors open. Athletic events are very popular. I go on dates with my boyfriend on the weekend and don't ever drink.

Dylan

I LOVE the University of Arkansas! I think that it is the perfect size, and Fayetteville is great! There is so much school spirit and everyone LOVES the Razorbacks! Also, being involved in the Greek Community is awesome. It makes everything even more fun!

Most of my classes are actually pretty small! My Spanish classes have only about 20 people in them!

Being involved in the Greek community makes a difference! I know not everyone is involved, but I don't know what I would do if I was not in a sorority!

Claire

I like Arkansas, it's a good size. When I tell people that I go to school here, they react with maybe a little bit of surprise, just because I am from Oklahoma, and not very many people from my high school go here. When I am on campus, I spend a lot of time in the business building! I have classes there, I tutor there, and I go there to study after school. Fayetteville is definitely a college town. I don't really know how I feel about the Administration. I guess I don't have any specific complaints. Controversy? Like what... we all get along here! I think there is a lot of school pride. Everyone likes going to athletic events, it's a popular thing to do. I think something unusual about Arkansas is that you get your name sandblasted into a sidewalk after you graduate, and it's cool, because a lot of my family has graduated from here, and I can go find their names. An experience I will always remember, hmmmm, that would probably be joining the sorority.

I participate in the religious groups on campus. We have StuMo (Student Mobilization) and Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ). I don't know if anyone would feel left out here. The campus body is really diverse. You just have to be open to new things and new people. Well what you wear depends on which group you fall into. There are upperclassmen who dress professionally for class, that's not me. The the sorority group, which is known for wearing t-shirts with letters on them, jeans, uggs, and north face/patagonia jackets. When it's warm it just switches to shorts and sperry's. The frat guys wear a LOT of Polo. They wear the colored shorts, the polo shirts, and the backwards hats. Different types of students don't interact that much. After you establish yourself in a group, you kinda stick with it. Dining hall - Hmm... there might be a table of Asian students (they stick together), a group of all the Christian guys and girls that push a ton of tables together (they get really loud in the dining halls), fraternity boys with their backwards hats, and then a table of sorority girls that just rolled out of bed and are looking bad. I think most students are from in state. BUT there are lots from Texas too. Some from Oklahoma, some from Missouri. Few from Kansas, few from Tennessee. A lot of people have money, I would say that most people are somewhat politically aware, but not super active. I think most people are right winged. Some people in the business school (especially) talk about what they'll make out of school.

While this is true for a lot of girls, it's not true for everyone. I don't drink, and I have very good grades.

Sorority girls all like to drink and act wild. They don't make their grades.

Greek life is big! Being in a sorority or fraternity gives you the ability to network, make lots of friends, etc. I am involved with Kappa Delta sorority. I play lots of the intramural sports. I am also in community service organizations, because I like to volunteer. In the dorms I left my door open when I was in my room. It was a fun atmosphere. Athletics are BIG. They have guest speakers/concerts a lot. Anderson Cooper is coming next week, and tonight the Foo Fighters are coming. Last year John Mayer performed. That was awesome. The dating scene, hmm, I'm not so much involved in that, but I do have lots of guy friends, and since we have social functions with the sorority, I have to ask dates a lot for those things. I met my best friends here through KD and through the dorm, and through classes. If you don't want to drink, it's cool. I don't. There are things to do. Hang out with other sober people. There are lots of movie theatres, bowling, putt-putt, restaurants, Friday night Live every week at the Union. Most people go out a lot though.. it gets them in trouble. Drinking is very popular here.

Professors do tend to know my name. I am in lots of honors classes, and they tend to be smaller, which is nice. That way you can build better relationships with your teachers. One of my favorite classes has been Psychology, because even though it doesn't apply to my major, it's really interesting stuff. My least favorite class was Business Foundations, we had to do a dumb simulation where you forecasted for a company and competed against all the other companies in your class. A lot of people get into big study groups in the business school right before tests, we have an honors study lab for the honors students. In my classes participation is pretty necessary. The only class I have ever skipped is music lecture, just because it is soo easy. I can't make myself sit through the lecture. I don't know if we have intellectual conversations outside of class. I would say we discuss material from our classes, but we probably don't sound too intellectual. The students in my classes are VERY competetive. We all want As in every class. The most unique class I've taken might be Finite Math. It was all modular and everything was done on the computer. I've never had a class like that before. I am a recently declared accounting major, but I wouldn't really know anything about that yet, since I don't start the accounting classes until junior year. I spend a little bit of time outside of class with some of the business professors. I feel like Arkansas has high standards when it comes to academics. I think education is geared toward getting a job.

Alison

Campus is beautiful! too small don't know where it is memorial hall what college town? lots of school pride unusual-old main, senior walk

religion is semi forced any non Christian jeans, tee shirts kind of tables - greeks, asians, liberals, conservatives arkansas wealthy yes republicans yes

greek organizations yes some what kappa delta talking don't know everyday very went to a party movie

no research methods in psychology - favorite chemistry - least (too big of classes) study-1 hr a day max in small classes not a lot yes unique - the helping relationship major/department - yes with research lab pointless core curriculum learning

Rednecks, Ignorant (Arkansas) Rich, pageant girls, Mrs. Degree (students)

Kelsey

The best thing about Arkansas is the friends I've made. I would change the amount of excessive drinking that goes on pretty much daily. The size of U of A is pretty good, but it could stand to be a litle larger. People make fun of me for going to Arkansas because of the typical hillbilly/inbreeder Arkansas stereotype. I spend most of my time on top of the hill, in my dorm, and at the KD house. Fayetteville is definitely a college town - GO HOGS! I think Arkansas administration needs to do more about the rapes that occur on campus. The biggest recent controversy I was personally involved in was an unfortunate incident with the paint wars and senior walk. There is definitely a ton of school pride. Arkansas is not very unusual. I will always remember going through Recruitment. The most frequent complaints at Pomfret (my dorm) are about the food and the internet.

I am an active member of Campus Crusades for Christ. There is pretty much a place for everyone at Arkansas. Students wear everything from sweats to dresses when going to class. Different types of students are always interacting. There are way more than four tables of students in each dining hall, and they are not segregated. Most students at Arkansas are from Arkansas. Many come from well-to-do backgrounds. Students are very, very politically aware. They are predominantly left, but I am far right. Students do talk about how much they will earn one day.

Nope, you pretty much covered everything and then some! :)

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class was World Literature; least favorite was World Civilizatoins. Students study all of the time, or maybe it just seems like that because I'm in the honors dorm. Class participation is common, but so is skipping class. Arkansas students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students aren't overly competitive. The most unique class I've taken would have to be Math Reasoning. I have yet to declare a major. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I feel like the academic requirements are perfect for me. My personal goal at Arkansas is to get a job.

The most popular organizations are the Greek organizations. I am involved with Kappa Delta Sorority. Students in my dorm tend to leave their doors shut, but it is understood that a friend can walk into a friend's room at any time (the hallways kind of smell... hence the closed doors). All athletic events are very popular. Guest speakers are mandatory for Greeks. I'm going to the Theater this weekend. Everyone dates everyone. I met my closest friends in my dorm. I am always awake at 2am on Tuesdays, and I'm either studying or making a Wal*Mart run with my girls. We have many traditions. People party pretty much every day of the week. Greek organizations are very important and make a great contribution to the community. Last weekend, I spent the majority of my time at the KD house in meetings. I never drink, so if you're looking for a good clean time on a Saturday, feel free to hang out with me and my friends from Cru. We go to restaurants, movies, ice skating, bowling, etc. I work off-campus.

Arkansas is a big party school, all of the girls look the same.

University of Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.