Fayetteville, AR
University of Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas

the best thing about arkansas is that it isn't too big or too small. its in a beautiful place and there are just the right number of students here. when i tell people that i go to arkansas they usually ask WHY?! i actually spend most of my time in my dorm with my friends, although i do go off campus quite a bit to go and spend time with the people that i know that live off campus. luckily everything is relatively close because fayetteville isn't too too big so it's not a big deal. fayetteville is a completely college based town. everything is razorbacked out and the community is so supportive and gung-ho on the college and sports. there is TONS of school pride. i feel like once you are a razorback fan, you are a die hard razorback fan until you die.

i feel like no one would feel out of place here at the university of arkansas. we have people from all over the map here and no one feels weird or like they don't belong here. all students are open to other groups. at the dining halls, everyone sits with everyone else. there isn't a table of one particular race or kind of person. I'm friends with people that i would never even have given a second glance back in high school.

students in dorms leave their doors open all the time. everyone is constantly coming in and out and meeting other people. athletic events here on campus are extremely popular. not only to students come out for the events, but people in the community come. people even come in from out of town for the games, especially football games.

most of my professors, with the exception of my really big core classes, know my name. the classes are smaller than they would be at like UT or one of those really big schools. students seem to be really good at balancing studying and social life. students here are very studious. lots of students HAVE to keep their grades up to be in their sororities, fraternities, and keep their scholarships.

that if you're going to school in arkansas you must have family here...everyone is related to someone else...cousins....if you're a greek affiliated student, you should be wearing a polo and sperrys

Casey

The best thing about Arkansas is the scenery. Being from Dallas, I am used to billboards and skyscrapers and traffic at any time of the day. When I got to Arkansas, I couldn't believe how pretty the hills of Northwest Arkansas are. The school is large, in my opinion, but definitely not too big to handle. You can get to any of the academic buildings on campus walking in about 10 minutes. In between classes I like to go to Starbucks on campus and get a frappuccino or to one of the computer labs to pass the time. There are computers and printers in almost every building, so it's easy to find one! The town (Fayetteville) is definitely a college town, and also one of the big cities in Northwest Arkansas. There has been a lot of development in the past 10 years, so there is a lot of great dining, shopping, and entertainment. Dickson street runs into the school and is the spot for the weekend (or any day after classes!) Dickson street has bars, food, shopping all in one. There are different drink specials at the bars on different nights and some restaurants are open until after the bars close so you can get food to go before you head home. There is a lot of school pride at Arkansas. When you first get to school in August, buy your student football tickets ASAP because they go fast! It's only $6 a season and a great way to bond with new or old friends and have fun. Game day is crazy on campus because police start to block off streets and people are tailgating in all the parking lots. There are a lot of traditions for the students during the games, and they catch on fast. The most recognizable one is to call the hogs.

No! There is a lot more diversity than I thought there would be on campus. There are a handful of agriculture students who are born and raised in the country, but there is a huge portion of students from big cities. I'm from the Dallas area and I feel like I fit in just fine. As for the school being totally Greek, it's not true. There is a great number of sororities and fraternities on campus, but they are definitely not the only way to find friends. I am not Greek, but many of my friends are involved with Greek life, but they don't rule the school.

One stereotypes about Arkansas is that this is a school full of hillbillies. Another stereotype is that it is completely for Greeks.

The most unique class I've taken is On Death and Dying. It's a course about death education. It was very interesting and you learn a lot, while earning elective credit for most majors. I have taken some big classes where a professor wouldn't recognize me if we passed each other on the street, but the majority of my classes are relatively small for the size of the student body. My classes for my major have about 45-60+ students in them and this semester all my professors know my name. It's great to actually be recognizable to a professor because when you go to talk to them about the class or are having trouble and they've seen you in class everyday- they know your progress and what you are doing and want to help you. A lot of classes encourage class participation! It's always a good idea to go to class because many of them take roll or even give extra credit for being in class. All my classes this semester have attendance, but last semester two of them didn't. It varies by instructor, but if you go to class, you will understand the subject a lot better and get to know your professor. Once again, a professor that knows you is more willing to be lenient if you ever need help. The professors in my department, journalism, are very down to earth and really want you to do well. Once you are a junior, they become your advisors and can help you with figuring out your schedule. This strengthens the bond between you and your professors. The academic requirements for my department aren't hard to fulfill. You have to have 2 years of a foreign language, but I actually enjoyed doing French at Arkansas- my instructors were great!

Bailey

Arkansas is a huge school with a WIDE variety of activites and opportunities. Anything can be pursued starting here as long as you know who to ask. If I had to change anything, I guess I would change some people's attitudes, because there tend to be some people here that are really close minded and that doesn't help the university or them in the long run. I think the size of our school is just right, because I can see my friends randomly all across campus during the day, but if I want to avoid some creeper I totally can do that as well. People react differently depending on their age and where they're from when you tell them you go to Arkansas. Most responses include yelling WHOO PIG at me and asking me if I call the hogs regularly. Some of my peers from Oklahoma make fun of me for going to a hick college, but besides that I get pretty good responses. Arkansas has HUGE school spirit and all of Arkansas supports us. Everyone loves the hogs, and it's awesome to be a part of something like what our school and our town here in Fayetteville has going.

Most Arkansas students are from Arkansas and Texas, most as in probably like 80% of people you meet. And to be completely honest, Arkansas is not THAT diverse. This school does not reflect the population of the state proportionatly. The majority of people here are middle class white kids. We wear polos and jeans or PINK sweatpants to class, and a large percentage of our campus is greek. Most people here are also extremely conservative, in regards to both politics and lifestyle choices. There are not a lot of openly GLBT people here, and if they are here they are not visible in a normal day on campus. Most people also stick to conservative Christian type values in regards to everything, except their own partying habits.

The first one, not at all. Though Arkansas does have a strong Ag program, we are in no way hicks. A large percentage of our students come from Texas even, not Arkansas born and raised. And we have a wide variety of dating options, not just our cousins. Greek wise, there are definitely people that fit these stereotypes. But there are also a wide variety of other people of every single variety. The Greeks on campus are varied and different, even in any given house, just like we are on campus.

I'm in the honors college, and all of my teachers are great and are super accesible. A lot of the time the problems you run into in the classroom involve other students. Either they don't talk and you feel out of place continually being the only person who speaks to the teacher, or they are outspoken only when you violate their extremely conservative ideals. Most people here really aren't intellectuals, they are here to get a degree. But that doesn't mean there are no people here to start up an intellectual conversation with. There are people in every major from every background living in the same building, and you get a lot of diversity and a lot of different experiences out of that. The only professor I spend time with outside of class really is my debate coach, but I spend a lot of time with him and our debate TA and they are awesome, they hang out with us and act like there is no differentiation between us as students and him as a tenured professor.

Arkansas sports dominate everything. Football games attract 84,000 screaming Razorback fans. Greek life is also huge, and constitutes a large majority of the parties around campus. People here party all the time. A good party will always take precedence over class the next morning. Even when you don't drink, you go to the houses or the parties and hangout with the people who are. Depending on the season, you can also go camping(and drink) go to the drive in(and drink), etc. You meet the people you hang out with all over- for me it is the girls I live with in my dorm, some guys that went to school with one of my girlfriends, and a boy I sat next to in Calc last semester. It is SO easy to meet people here at every party to every day in class. And everyone is always willing to hang out and go do stuff, from going to the Union to get late night for dinner to going to a friends apartment. Last weekend I went to an apartment for a party, then a house bonfire party, then to a frat house. There are plenty of different places to go.

We're all farm lovin' hicks, who love to date only people in our own family tree. On campus, Greeks are stereotyped as all being rich white kids, boys wearing enitrely polo outfits and girls in sperrys with poofed hair.

Yes, it is a popular school for agriculture and animal science majors; and many of my peers grew up on farms. Yes, sports and school spirit are a big deal and yes, we have a whole street close to campus lined with bars. But some of us, have only been to two football games during their entire school career. And some of us would rather have coffee in a quiet place with friends, rather than brave Dickson street on a Friday night. And remember, just because we talk slow, doesn't mean we're stupid, and you'd be suprised at how many people find our accents appealing.

What some people don't realize is that the creative writing program at Arkansas is one of the best in the country, and I am proud to be a part of it. As a writer, my experiences in workshop classes are priceless to me as they helped me grow and mature in my craft. My favorite teacher in the program is Molly Giles. Within Fulbright college I've had a variety of classroom experiences from the huge auditorium classes, to intimate five-student classes. While undoubtedly, several teachers will never remember my face, there are still others who want to keep an open channel with me. My Italian teacher, Dr. Rozier, I have known for three and a half years, and sitting in her class every semester is like coming home. Besides these classes, some of my favorites have been Egyptology, Equestrian Industry, Folklore and Cultural Anthropology. There was enough room in my schedule to venture from my major for a few classes and I found the new experience invaluable.

Arkansas stereotypes place the students at the university under several categories. We are seen as back-woods, backwards, country-folk whose intelligence is . . .limited at best. Somewhere along the way, our school has also been associated with narrow-minded students who party seven nights a week, and whose main concern is razorback football.

University of Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.