University of San Diego Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of San Diego

Samuel

USD is a great place for students looking for a smaller school with professors and staff who actually care about your well being and success. The academics are a nice balance between being challenging yet not overwhelming. The student body is for the most part, diverse and full of really nice, respectful people. I like that the professors and school in general seem to really want us to graduate with a path moving forward. And finally, the location is perfect! Plenty to do and see and San Diego, plus our campus is one of the most beautiful places to be.

Jannette

I believe the school offers several activities, extracurricular, and academics to benefit the students that attend thus causing potential students to want to join.

Luis

It is a magnificent school and I encourage anyone who is interested, to apply to the school. The location is great for anyone who enjoys the beach and e the people are very friendly and outgoing. There is a huge emphasis on the liberal arts education, which makes everyone well-rounded student.

I think it is a beautiful campus and provides ample activities for students to get involved in. The sports culture here is lacking and there is hardly any school spirit though. Most of the time I hear people say they are only here because it is a private catholic university and they just want the degree. However, I feel as though this place does have its good aspects. For example, it has small class sizes and is a change making campus. They try there best to make sure that everyone here is accommodated for and feels safe. Finally most professors are very willing to help and are available in office hours. This university believes that one must earn their grade and a professor rarely curves the grades in the classes.

Desiree

University of San Diego was everything I dreamed it would be. Class sizes are small, typically can range from 10-30 students. Professors are involved and are very accessible. Catholic masses are held throughout the week. There are many study spots on campus, and if you choose not to stay on campus there are plenty of coffee/boba shops around campus that you can study at. There are buses that can take you all around campus or you can walk, ride your bike, scooter, or skateboard (only about a 10-15 minute walk from upperclassmen dorms to main campus OR a 7 minute walk from freshman housing to main campus). I think the only downside to USD is the lack of diversity and expensive tuition.

Sebastien

Imagine waking up and feeling like you’re living at a resort on vacation. Walking around and simply forgetting that you’re even at school. Welcome to USD. When people usually think of my school, the first thing that is usually mentioned is its beauty. I just completed my freshman year and I can firmly say the beauty USD presents plays a huge role in the all around experience. The aesthetic makes waking up and going to class all the more worthwhile. It a game changer in the mood of the students. That being said, given it feels like a resort, depending on the type of person you are, it can encourage laziness and idleness. To add, the food here is pretty good for a college campus. We have been ranked in the top 20. It helps to have good food because it makes the experience all the more enjoyable. With food made from scratch in the various original restaurants on campus, USD provides a more healthy, personalized and unique cuisine experience to all those on campus. To topple the already two critical and appealing aspects of USD, the classroom experience speaks volumes to the mission and authenticity that exists. Typically at a big school, you can find yourself in a lecture class with over a 100 people. That can easily dismissed the idea of a personalized relationship with your professor and prompt you to feeling like a number. Here at USD, the most people you will ever find in a class is 40. The average size is less than that and some classes the number can fall within single digits. This has been one of the biggest assets to my freshman year. I got to know my professors and develop a relationship where they knew my strengths and weaknesses and assisted me through class. I didn't feel like a number but rather a voice and could see that my professor actually cared for me. This really helped my performance academically. In regards to student life, socially, there are hundreds of clubs and greek life to get involved in depending on your interest. Only around 20-26% of campus is involved in greek life so it's definitely there, but not a big thing many have to worry about if it's not their forteé. Multiple various clubs that meet daily and contribute to the daily student life. Athletically, D1 sports are definitely on campus but not as prominent compared to other schools. Attendance at sporting events are pretty low; most students can be found at the beach or exploring southern California during the weekend. Most people tend to be very friendly and easy going. I have no regrets choosing to attend this school. It has so much to offer, I don’t see why anyone wouldn't go here!!

Alessandra

The students loans are unbelievable. When I was in college I couldn't comprehend money like I do now. Yet, I wouldn't have it any other way. College is expensive. There are ways around it, but in the end it depends on what type of experience you want. For me, the loans were all worth it.

Ashlyn

University of San Diego is a moderately sized school. We don't really get into sports very much, besides basketball. There is a ton to do in San Diego and the weather is perfect. Depending on your major, the academics are challenging. If you decide to go to this school, you are going to want to attend class and get to know your professors. The alumni are very supportive of the university, but you need to make an effort to get to know them!! USD is an amazing place, but if you're looking for a sports focused school do not come here!

Blair

Great school filled with great students!

Tiffany

The University of San Diego is an excellent school. Our motto is "change makers." We are extremely into helping others and charity work. The school has done programs such as building homes in Tijuana, Mexico as well as par take in a program that provides kitchen incubators in the lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans, Louisiana. We are constantly striving for the best and the campus is very beautiful. There are smaller class sizes so you get more one-on- one interactions with your classmates and professors. Overall lovely campus and university.

Danielle

The University of San Diego provides something most colleges I've looked into don't: a Catholic-based education. I find my own personal faith very important, especially as I grow into a young adult. To be able to learn in an atmosphere where "being religious" is the norm is what really drew me to the school. Of course, there are other aspects of the school that are also incredible! I admire the campus and how beautiful it is. I think if a college is willing to put forth the effort not only help their students grow but make them comfortable as they do so (by surrounding them with such incredible, visual, luxuries), then the school is worth every penny. I fully support their education programs and their classes sizes, as I find that a small class environment is an easier way to learn because you can more effectively bond with classmates and teachers. USD is an outstanding school and I hope I can be a Torero in the umpcoming years.

Elise

University of San Diego is amazing! I am just second semester freshman but have been loving my experience so far. The academics are great and I love my teachers and small class sizes. The campus is beautiful, in a great location and feels very safe. I love it.

lauren

USD was my first choice university, and overall it has exceeded my hopes! There are so many on-campus organizations to get involved with whatever you like, and I feel very engaged in class with most of my professors. I love the campus, and I feel like we are pampered at this beautiful school, but hard work is also very valued here.

Juana

I love it

Adahli

In terms of academics, the University of San Diego definitely challenges its students and sets forth a high standard for academic rigor and integrity amongst faculty and students alike. In my experience, I have definitely felt the pressure to perform on a higher level than ever before. However, my persistent efforts have always been met with equal dedication from the faculty. Due to the small classroom sizes, the faculty have the sufficient time to be readily accessible to students whenever they may need extra help outside of class time. There are many opportunities to succeed academically at USD. However, it must be mentioned that the University is lacking in diversity when it comes to who they hire as well as who they admit. The majority of professors and administrators tend to be white and male which I believe hinders the intersectionality and inclusivity that the University strives to cultivate. As it stands, the University’s student population is 51% white as of Fall of 2016, which often creates an unwelcoming environment for students of color, especially when they walk into a classroom and realize they are only one of a few, or perhaps the only, student of color in the class. This lack of diversity has been the cause of alienation, erasure, and silencing of black and brown student voices and needs. I believe, that the University can and must do better in addressing and responding to these issues. The location of the campus has played an important role in the development of the campus culture and attitudes. Seeing as the University of San Diego, in all its Spanish architectural glory, sits atop a hill overlooking the picturesque Pacific Ocean, in Southern California where the palm trees are always green and the sun is almost always shining, USD often appears to be a sort of paradise. I think the campus community often believes it to be such and go about their daily lives in this perfect bubble where they cannot be touched by the world’s, or even their own community’s problems. There is so much wealth and privilege on this campus that many cannot be bothered with any sort of inconvenience, much less an injustice or a call to action. On the other hand, there is a certain atmosphere of change and activism that is quickly taking hold on the campus. In the last several years, I have witnessed various protests and demonstrations, led by student activists, involving a growing number of students, faculty, and staff. Incidents of intolerance and bigotry, in addition to current political and social events, have sparked numerous discussions and teach-ins in attempt to pull our community out of apathetic complacency. The past few years have seen an emergence of various culturally based Greek organizations and activist groups to create safe spaces and vouch for underrepresented and marginalized students at the University. Most notably, the creation of a task force by the University President has set into motion a set of actions to uphold the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Overall, there is much that is imperfect at the University of San Diego, but the spirit of activism isn’t dead. That being said, the campus community will continue to strive to create an all-inclusive and fair environment so that anyone can take advantage of the great education that the University has to offer.

Blake

Great

Meghan

I couldn't have asked for a better college experience than the one I received at USD. The facilities are gorgeous, the class sizes are small, and the professors genuinely want their students to succeed. In addition, the food is fantastic. I highly recommend USD to anyone applying to college.

Sabrina

I love this school! There are always fun things to do when you are not working on your academics. Professors are awesome and very helpful. Sports games are fun but there is not a huge turnout. The student body always has fun things going on every week. The beach and downtown San Diego is just minutes away from campus and there is always something to do. the people here are genuinely kind and helpful. the campus is beautiful and cleanly. Dorms are typical for most colleges, mine personally is very large and roommate selection was done for me but my roommate and I get along.

Cari

USD is great academic school with a great community. The professors are top notch and always available for assistance. You will meet life long friends!

Giselle

The University of San Diego is an exceptional institution with students who are academically-driven and hard workers. The campus is beautiful and is located conveniently in the heart of San Diego. All the hot spots of the city are 15 minutes away, more or less.

Joshua

I immediately knew USD was the university of choice for me when I first visited. I recommend USD to anyone who wants a stellar private education. I’m so happy to be attending USD. It’s rated the most beautiful campus in the world. It’s a must see.

Andrew

My experience as a student at the University of San Diego has been good thus far. As a liberal arts institution, USD has offered me enough academic rigor and intellectual stimulation. The requirements to graduate may perhaps seem tedious to some, but overall serve to provide a well-rounded education. Getting the classes you want is typically not a big issue, and professors are always easily accessible. Campus food is fairly decent, but could really use more variety. Upon arriving at the school, I was struck by how small the campus actually was; at times the school felt very cramped. However, with USD's close proximity to downtown San Diego, there are plenty of opportunities to venture out and explore the city.

Cassandra

It is beautiful and a very prestigious school

Andrew

The University of San Diego has a gorgeous campus and amazing food. It is a private college with the typical hefty private price tag, but their financial aid department provides generous financial aid packages. The class sizes are small and allow for a first name basis relationship to foster between students and professor. The roster of professor is also small, so you’re typically taking the same professor multiple times. This really allows you to build mentorship like relationship with your professors. It truly feels like they all have a vested interest in watching you grow. Also, it’s clear that all the professors that work at this University are clearly here for the love of learning. A quick glance at any of the tenured professor resumes would show you that they are easily qualified to make a substantial higher salary in the field. And this love of learning shows in the amount of effort they all pour into there classes. The number of students in each graduating class is also small and you’re typically taking the same classes with the same students throughout your time at the University. This allows for some really tight knit friendships to form. The campus is also always brimming with activities. There’s always something to do on the weekends off or on campus. There is a wide variety of clubs as well and the most importantly the job fairs that are hosted every semester are full of big-name companies.

michelle

The school year has not started so I cannot give a response filled with experience about the classroom setting however, based on the visit days I have gone I could not be looking more forward to surrounding myself with the different academic opportunities and social events. The leaders that I have met with could not be more inviting and have created a comforting environment for the upcoming student classes. I hold USD to a high standard because of the accessible counselors and people that are willing to help with any issue whether it be academic-wise or just for social advice.

Justin

I believe there is a lot of potential for this university, however as of now, the potentiality is overshadowed by the "Spoiled daughter" stereotype that comes with USD's "University of Spoiled Daughter" stereotype.

Sean

I am from San Diego and have always been attracted to the USD due to its beautiful campus and views. It has a highly ranked baseball team, which I really enjoy to watch because the ballpark is amazing. It also has palm tree's all around the campus, which make it seem like a resort of some kind. The classes are all really small and intimate. Most class sizes are 20-35 people and the teachers are always easy to get ahold of.

Alyssa

I love it here at University of San Diego. First off, the campus is gorgeous, as it was voted the #1 most beautiful campus in the country this year. The spanish style architecture is stunning, and they just finished construction on a beautiful quad which is used as a social gathering for students. USD is also situated on a hill, which overlooks San Diego and has the most incredible sunsets I've ever experienced. The location is wonderful too, as it is about 10 minutes away from the beach and 15 minutes away from downtown. Most importantly, I chose USD over top UC schools because of the small class sizes (25 students each), personal attention from professors, and opportunities to get involved. You are not taught by any TA's, and you have the opportunity to really connect with your professors and ask them specific questions. Additionally, the opportunities USD provides you with are unending. As a Biochemistry major, I have conducted research in a well-published lab at USD for two years now (I have published work myself, have been able to conduct research abroad, and get paid nicely). As a future physician, USD has provided me with various internships that have helped me gain experience in the healthcare field (trauma internship at Scripps Hospital). USD also gives you many opportunities to give back to the Linda Vista Community. Overall, USD is known for rigorous academics, but as a senior I can honestly say the time I've put in studying was well worth the outcome. To balance tough coursework, USD does have a great social life in my opinion. Frats and sororities are pretty big on campus (I am apart of a sorority) and once you turn 21 the nightlife in San Diego is amazing! USD is a dry campus, so there aren't any on-campus parties, but frats host parties at houses on mission beach. I could go on and on about this university, but I highly recommend it to anyone. Don't let the high tuition scare you away, they are very generous with scholarships unlike many UC's!

B

I loved my experience at USD. The first semester was rough; it was my first time really away from home and I did not really feel like I fit in. My roommates were a blessing, and really helped me to navigate an environment that was, at the time, much less culturally diverse than I was used to. Our tribe of girls remain good friends today, though none of us live in the same city. I double majored in English and Psychology, and thoroughly enjoyed all of my classes, though I must say that my bias is for the English Department. Each of my teachers were unique and offered great insight, both in class and out. Class sizes were small, somewhere around 30 at most, which really allowed for great conversations. Especially in upper division classes, where classes averaged around 15. I would absolutely encourage others to look into all USD has to offer.

I have been a student at three different Universities being active duty service member and a spouse of an active duty service member. Everything from the application process, to orientation, to the facilities and professor have been nothing less than an amazing experience. This school guides you very well and pushes you to get involved. University of San Diego is by far one of the best school I have been a part of and I am so grateful for all of the support from day one.

Natalie

The campus at the University of San Diego is a beautiful. There were many and I met a lot nice people that made me feel really welcomed. Not only was the campus beautiful and many people were very welcoming, the class size are great. I will really get the help I need from my professors when I need it. They are very accessible and approachable. The University of San Diego is a great college, and I would recommend this school.

It is a small campus, but big enough where you don't know everyone. There are many aspects that could always be better such as sports, academics, facilities, staff. However, overall it is a great, safe, fun campus to attend. Everyone is very friendly and there are many opportunities to get involved. You get out of it what you put into it. There are great resources and the city is beautiful! Everything is pretty close by and there is some great food as well. Overall the University of San Diego is a great school to go to wether you're coming from the other side of the country or right here in San Diego. I highly recommend attending USD it has made my college experience so much better!

Jordan

I love going to school here and have grown so much as a person in just my one year being on campus.

Diana

The University of San Diego offers many opportunities to the students. Between the many internships available and the endless career options, they provide there is no way you won't fulfill your potential. There are many places to eat on campus and activities to do as well.

Adriianna

The University of San Diego is an academically rigorous school. You have a lot of access to professor's and they will challenge you. Mediocre work is not accepted and if you don not care about academics then this is not the place for you. One down side is the financial aid office is not extremely helpful and it is an expensive school.

Keely

People here are not friendly and are rather rude. I feel no sense of community at this school. The professors here are good at what they do and probably the best part of this school. Nothing to do on campus and not much in the immediate vicinity. It doesn't feel like what they advertise at all.

The University of San Diego is great! The professors are very involved with the students and genuinely want them to succeed in their studies and future careers. The campus is absolutely stunning and San Diego is an amazing place to live! Graduate school at USD has exceeded my expectations.

Julia

Great education but not the most involved students. The teachers are always available and the class sizes are small and personable. The campus is absolutely gorgeous so it isn't too bad living on campus although the quarters are pretty small. It was a great experience overall.

Victoria

Great school. Beautiful campus

USD has a lot of resources to take care of their students and the staff is usually very willing to help. The campus environment is generally very friendly. The university is also very good at communication with all of its students, alumni, and staff, and keeping us in the know with everything going on with the campus community.

Lisa

I attended USD for 3 semesters before transferring to SDSU. I loved most of my professors and found most of my classes to be very rich in content and conversation. USD taught students why whereas a lot of schools, namely SDSU where I transferred, taught how. I am glad that I attended USD for the first part of my college career. I learned to make the most of office hours, class time, study time, etc. However, the greatest lessons I learned were to not care about what others thought, that money isn't everything and that family is everything. Many of my best professors taught down the road at SDSU for a fraction of the price that I was paying at USD. The women were horrid! I actually had a woman limply shake my hand, look me up and down and ask, "what does your dad do?" Seriously?! The campus was absolutely beautiful but I frequently smelled cow manure on the gardens and realized my tuition dollars were literally paying for a bunch of cow dung to make things look pretty. There were several times that our education was interrupted for public display including the Presidential debates and funerals at the Immaculata. Freshman dorms sucked- no A/C (maybe they have it now- I don't know), showers that were separated by metal partitions and water that either offered up a healthy dose of hypothermia or 3rd-degree burns and water pressure that left bruises. Parking- better know how to parallel park and have laser focus to narrow in on available spots. Grades- a joke. I accidentally threatened an Economics prof one day by telling him that I knew there was a cheating ring in his class, that he knew it as well, and that his curve was unfair. I was told that I had received an A when in fact I had received an F at best. I was halfway across the street to my dorm (Camino) before I realized that he had "changed" my grade out of fear. Heck, I was a Business major and maybe this was a lesson I needed to learn. I ended up transferring to SDSU where I made several life long friends, was challenged, received a great education and greatly enjoyed my college experience. The best part was graduating debt-free!

Morgan

I like it for the academics! There are small class sizes and most of the professors are easy to talk to. I like the campus over all. There is a lot of places to study and socialize wth friends. The campus is pretty close to the beach and Old Town so there is plenty of things to do off campus. During the weekend the campus is pretty dead because most people go off campus or to other schools for parties and social events.

Emi

Although I had a rough start finding friends, I ultimately grew to love the University of San Diego. Overall, the people are friendly, and I cannot rave enough about how kind and accessible the professors are. There are a few administrative hiccups that I would like to see fixed in future years, but in any type of organization there is room for change and growth. Housing is great as long as you're in the Valley. Chances are you'll get your first choice as well due to the large amount of on campus housing available. Clubs and Campus Organizations are slowly but steadily growing in number, so there's a good chance you'll find something that's perfect for you.

I really like USD! It's such a good school with amazing views and the campus is really pretty. Even though the school is sort of small, it's really nice because it feels more homey. And of course the food is amazing! Everyone says it but it's true. Also the campus housing is absolutely amazing and pretty nice compared to other dorms at other universities and colleges.

Miranda

The University of San Diego is a great school for certain people. It is a gorgeous campus, has a ton of food options and intimate class sizes. These were my biggest advantages when it came to USD since my environment impacts my work ethic majorly. The food was important to me because I am a vegetarian and finding a campus with a sufficient amount of options can be difficult. I am not vegan, but I have been told there is a good amount of options for vegans as well as flexibility in order to accommodate dietary needs. I personally learn best in smaller classes because I feel less pressure when it comes to asking questions as well as presentations. At USD you are not just a number or a paying customer. Your professor knows your name, when you miss class they reach out and make sure you are okay, you mean something to USD. Part of this is also because you pay enough. USD is a great school to attend, but it is a major investment since as of 2019 the overall cost of attendance has moved to a whopping $70,999. Yes this is a big number, but as someone who is paying for college on their own I can say there is a lot fincancial aid available and you can always appeal for more help.