Carson City, NV
Western Nevada College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Nevada College

Allen

"First, of all to completely forget everything that you think and see about college life in the shows and movies that depicit everything is fun and all parties. The living dorm life off campus not like that either, for example my off-campus apartament is appeared be designed built for college students but not quite when most of is all retired people and some drunks with no life at all except sit around get drunk, watch sports network and talk about it like it is the only thing in life. As myself would have like shared apartament or dorm which i was like middle of six females (6 to 1 ratio) and lot friendlier.

Actually there is not much about WNC being worst, as I am just would be the average student of age 48 and that social life is limited while everyone else there are much younger than you like who just graduated out of High School.

I dont think there is much about is frustrating as for me going college is challenge.

Lisa

There are so many different types of students at WNC!

There are so many different types of students at WNC!

I would first explain to myself that college is a whole different world than high school. In college the main person in charge of your success is yourself. Gone are the days when teachers hound you to get your assignments done! I think that I would also tell myself to take my time and figure out where my interests lie before rushing into school. I believe because school is an investment in time and money it is pivotal to not go into school to appease anyone but yourself. If only I knew then what I know now!

I wish that I had known how much work school really requires!

chyanne

In retrospect, it is extremely predictable that someone as naieve as a highschool student would lose all inhibition to achieve in order to gain a false sense of acceptance. It begins once you enter the coveted lifestyle of a highschool student and will end the moment you cross the threshold of commencement. If given the chance to advise an 18 year old me, I would simply state that it is better to excel in front of judgemental peers than be viewed inadequate by the admissions office of the only college you wanted to attend. I will not claim to have done poorly in the college I ended up attending, having had a 3.3 GPA and making the deans list 3 semesters in a row. But I know that if I had only seen past the facade of a teenage angst a little sooner, I would have found myself in a much more prestigious school than the one I attend now. If I could give advice to myself as a senior; I would tell myself that I am worth much more than an invite to homecoming and would make sure to remember the exact day of the PSAT's.

That although it isn't the most exciting or have the glamourous atmosphere of a university, it will help you achieve a degree at half the cost of a university.

This is the type of school atttended by the 30-40 year olds who want a second chance at a degree. There is no real environment to feel as thought you're actually having the "college experience".

David

I would say enjoy the high school experience while you still can. It is a lot more laid back and relaxed. College is fast-paced and if you don't keep up there aren't people watching over you to make you sure you do your work and go to class. Learn how to take good notes and keep up with what the teacher is talking about, because they can provide a great amount of important information condensed into a few sentences. Put your academic responsibilities first, for your social life will eventually revolve around your education. Get used to reading a lot of books and learn to enjoy it. Discover the urge to expand your previous ways of thought and be open to new ideas. Try making friends with people you hardly know and learn how to have a good conversation about things you don't normally talk about. Be smart and responsible, but remember to still have fun with everything you do.

The best part about my school is the small class sizes. I have the oppurtunity to actually speak with my professors face to face . It really makes learning a lot easier.

The campus is not full of very many lively young full time students, so it is kind of boring. Instead there are a lot of kids going part time as well as older people that have chosen to go back to school.

To begin with I would tell and convince myself to always go to school and never give up no matter how hard college is. I would explain the importance of going to class and the importance to attendance in school. For example, college is not like high school where teacher baby their students around. College is a place of independents and one should take commitment to thier classed. I would also tell myself to study hard and maintain a high GPA to graduate as a well educated college student. Secondly, I would guide myself to the right track on life to become a more knowledgeable student. Working hard is the key to success. Finally, I would show myself the tips and paths in leading myself to be a good student.

nikol

I would tell myself to wake up and pay attention, good grades in high school will make a huge difference and that a college education is so much more worth completing than i originally thought, make more of an effort, you are a smart girl, apply yourself and you will go farther than you could ever imagine!! Your children will look up to for it, you will feel better about yourself in the long run!!

that is has been in the area for so long

that you have to walk so far from parking lot to the buidlings, up hill

curtiss

I was diagnosed with scolosis of the spine from a back injury I had years ago. I worked in construction practically home entire life. I really did not no what to do. Western Nevada College really scared me at first. I worked very hard to be the student that I was not in High School. I have excelled here at Western. The administraton and facuilty have really helped me achieve my academic goals. I was hired to be the Peer Mentor for the Bachelors of Technology program in fall of 2009. My job is to help students with financial aid, form study groups, offer encouragement and to steer our national club,Nasc, National Students of Construction, in the right direction. I can not tell you how important scholarships have helped myself and my family. I am married with 6 children. We get by every month but barely. Any extra monies I would recieve would really improve my families situation. I would like to thank you for your time.

The only people I do not think would succeed here would be people that do not take their study's seriously. I believe any ethnic, race, or age would feel very comfortable here at Western.

Colton

I would tell myself that true high school is the best time of your life, but there is still work to do. I thought in high school that schools do not care about grades, just money. It isn't true. Shoot, if you get straight A's in Nevada you get a Milenium Scholarship worth ten thousand dollars. Don't loose that because college could of been free for you in Nevada. An education that cost ou nothing at all. Colton, you have this one chance to go to school and never have to work again. You can get a degree , love your job, and make loads of cash. There are so many people in this world that would kill to have an education and so many people don't take advantage of it, but you can. You can do it. It takes hard work, but in time it's so worth it. What do you make right now. Ten dollars an hour? How does thirty or forty or more sound and nonetheless, you want to do it. It is such a great oppurtunity to take and you have the chance to. Keep your head up and go get it.

I think the best thing about my school comparing to other schools is how easy it is to go to school here. Not easy meaning that this school takes no studying to past, but the fact that there is so much help here and the teachers want to help you pass so badly. If you are willing to try , there is no doubt in my mind that anyone can't pass here. I started in math in algebra I think and now I am in differntial equations! I would do it again if I had the chance too.

Thisschool is the best for the the beginning courses and for some segrees the upper courses. It has small classes and the best tutoring center you can ask for. Most of the teachers have flexible office hours and are incredibly nice. They reall enforece the fact that they are here and they want me to exceed. The food here is awesome and the student life is great. The kids around here are for the most part super nice due to the fact that most of the kids that attend this college have the small town attitudes. Its the best.

Sara

Assuming that I could back into time and talk to the senior me, I would let her know to get her act into gear and start applying for scholarships!! I qualified for enough financial aid when I first started but having the extra scholarship money would have helped a lot! Also I would let myself know that college is a completely different social setting and different place from high school. It was a shock going from a high school setting to a college setting, but it was refreshing!

The best thing about my school is the ease of attending the college. It's not technically a college, and not a junior college, but it helps you get the basic credits you need before transferring to a university that is much more expensive.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the fight it takes to qualify or prove yourself eligible for financial aid. I had to fight tooth and nail to prove to our financial aid office that I need the money to go to school with because I only have a part time job, and am paying my own bills.

Sheri

Always follow your dreams and maintain a postive attitude.

This college is the only college in my home town, however, it is a respected school, modern, and I am excited about attending it.

Western Nevada College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.