New Haven, CT
Yale University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Yale University

jp

The stereotype is of students that like to use umbrellas when it rains. I never do but then again, I'm not very popular. People seem to like to make animal noises at the end of lecture and that is true of most students here. I think Yale attracts people who like to recite poetry in the shower, as well.

The competitive eating club is pretty popular. We try to eat as many hot dogs as possible. Of course, only the most popular students can be in this exclusive club. You have to be invited and it is a secret society that will help you throughout life, particularly if you like hot dogs.

We have to study pretty hard here.

Mary

Yale is an intense school that never wants you to forget how lucky you are to be there.

Your classmates are passionate and gifted, and you often will feel like they belong there much more than you do.

You should be open-minded: try new cuisines, meet new people, explore more opportunities. You will learn that the things you were good at in high school may not be the things you are truly talented at in life. You will have many ups and downs as you struggle to find what you are passionate about when it comes to academics or your career. But it is important to remember that you are not defined by your grades or sorority. College will eventually end, and you will have to leave campus someday to take on the world. You will be defined by what you choose to take away from your college experience and to bring out into the world. In final words, take care of yourself--college will eventually end, but you and your life continues. Remember that through all the tough assignments or pressures to drink, and you will do just fine.

Alison

As a high school senior, there's an inherent "us-vs-them" mentality that surfaces when you regard the adults in your life. Your teachers are assigning meaningless work; they're holding you back and wasting your time. Your parents don't understand; you're a responsible adult and they're treating you like a child. This frustration is at the forefront of your thoughts. At an age when you are, in fact, very mature and you're thirsting to live on your own, I would advise my high school self to take a step back and get acquainted with the adults in her life as people instead of imposing authority figures. If you open your heart to your teachers, family members, and mentors, you'll find that while they grew up in a very different time, they truly are empathetic to the restlessness and confusion you're feeling. Adults in these roles chose to work with students and children because they were eager to provide support and share they're life experiences. Listen to them.

Yale is full of really down-to-earth people. There's kind of a stigma that comes along with the fact that it's an Ivy League school, but everyone here is really friendly and accessible.

Yale currently does not offer any minors and most of the majors are very grounded in the liberal arts. While I appreciate the importance of being well-rounded with a liberal arts degree, Yale does not offer many undergraduate options for pre-professional interests.

Daniel

Yale is best known for the amazing facitilities and opportunities it provides for its students. Yale is also know for having a residential college system where students live together and immerse themselves in academic and social environments. Yale is also known for its amazing architecture, especially our libraries. Yale has several graduate schools associated with it, including a fantastic medical school and a renowned law school school.

Before I go into advice, I need to say that I am very happy with the choice that I made to come to Yale. I am very happy that I came to a place where I had academic freedom and could learn a lot from my professors and my peers. I love living in a place that has so much history associated with it. And now onto advice to my high school self. I would tell myself not to stress out too much. I would also tell myself not to be too excited to live away from home because you will miss it for sure. I thought that I would not be homesick, but the first few weeks (and even now) I experienced homesickness. I would tell myself to soak up as much experiences I could in high school because it will be missed. Also, I would tell myself to be so excited for what is going to come in the future.

I love to tell my friends about the people at Yale. I can certaintly say that I have met some of the nicest people at my time at Yale. I also tell them about the dorming, the librariers, and of course, the food. I very much enjoy the food and the dining halls here at Yale.

Patricia

Give yourself time to investigate the school you are interested in, and choose the school that is your gut decision. Do not choose a school only for the name, or your friends.

The people are out of this world. Not only am I epxosed to scholars from all around the world, but people making an amazing difference. I have without a doubt met some of the best people this world has to offer.

Someone that is interested in testing their limits, and open to diverse ideas, people and experiences.

Natalie

Engaging, passionate people who love to learn from others and teach others about what they are passionate about, whethere that is politics, music, or biomedical engineering.

Definitely do a preorientation program! It's a great way to get a feel for the school and your classmates before you are thrown into the craziness that is the first couple of weeks of school. You'll make friends that will last a lifetime and make memories that will last even longer than that. It's also great to be able to come to campus already knowing a group of people. You feel less lost. Also, make sure you explore when you first start picking classes. Take a variety of courses in different departments and see what really sticks. Even if you don't become an art history major, knowing about Renaissance art is a wonderful skill to have! Also, make sure to interact with professors outside of class! Professors love to meet students for coffee - don't be scared that you are a freshman! Most of all, enjoy the time you have with your classmates. 4 years go by before you know it!

Our residential college system is the best way to live while you are an undergraduate. It is a lot like living in a Hogwarts house. You are randomly split into one of 12 colleges and live in a suite format with 4 to 7 other people, complete with a common room. You form a family within your suite and a community within your residential college. Since students are randomly placed into RCs, you get to live with such a diverse group of people, which exposes you to ideas you might not experience in your major or extracurricular activity.

John

Most people think that all Yalies are preppy, prim, and proper. In reality, those people could not be further from the truth. Yale is full of diverse people from all backgrounds. We have Jocks, Frat kids, and all the rest of the stereotypical student groups. What is amazing about Yale, though, is that every body gets along and there are no cliques. My suite includes members of the Yale Precision Marching Band, the Liberal Party, the Party of the Right, the rock climbing team, and more. This sounds very cheesy, but people at Yale love each other and generally get along very well. To quote Yale historian George W. Pierson, “Yale is at once a tradition, a company of scholars, a society of friends."

Carlos

Yale Divinity School is a diverse ethinic community and varying in spirituality encouraging an a wordly perspective to faith.

Hey! Continue to work on your relationship with God. Make sure to listen and understand other people's experiences of God and learn from their traditions and rituals. Make sure to imprint in your mind the gospel words, "don't be afraid." Fear will cause stagnation and you will waste time denying you are afraid but actually avoiding the insecurities and uncomfortable feelings the “unknown” brings. Embrace your sexuality, give it up wisely, and enjoy the feeling of being in love, the people who offer it emotionally and physically, and ignore the guilt other people will force upon you. But, most importantly, be compassionate with yourself. Continue with your academic goals but remember to enjoy your journey. This means don't trying to control people, events in your life, and deny yourself to take the time to improve your physical appearance, maintain your health, and buy yourself something nice. Make sure to go to games, parties, date a lot of people, and travel. Hey! Don’t seek anyone’s approval or acceptance of who you are! You are God’s creation and it’s the only justification you need. Knowing you, you will yes me to death.

As a Hispanic Episcopal priest, I want to affirm my community, open my church doors to everyone, especially to the Hispanic LGBT community. I aim to use my Yale theological/pastoral preparation to assist me in developing an evangelization and outreach program that encourages a deep relationship with God, an atmosphere that promotes companionship. Most traditional Episcopal seminaries do not offer the ecumenical and spiritual diversity found at Yale Divinity. The greatest legacy I can give Yale Divinity School and Berkeley Seminary and those who have dedicated themselves to me is to be faithful, have compassion and love for all.

Wenzel

I love Yale. I couldn't have asked more from a college experience.

I love Yale. I couldn't have asked more from a college experience.

Everything is available. There's never a dead moment. At almost any given moment, you can go attend a debate, a play, a dance performance, a fancy dinner party, a frat party, a toasting session, a mixer, an orchestra performance, an a capella performance, or any other bagillion special events that are constantly going on.

Yale is incredibly diverse. No two people have the same background. You can find people from all walks of life, from ever corner of the world, and from ever ethnic, social, and economic background. It's frankly quite humbling. You learn so much from each other that way.

Academics can be found in all shapes and sizes. Want to take 7 credits and study in the library all day? No big that's totally cool. Want to relax and socialize and take an easier schedule? Totally doable. Competitiveness is there, but far less than you'd expect. It's kinda weird....

Yale has a bunch of stereotypes, but I think the most accurate and best one is that among the big three (Yale, Harvard, Princeton), Yale is the chillist with the best people and best social life. This couldn't be more true. I've never felt pressured by the people here, everyone is unhesitantly helpful and wants to see you succeed, and people are virtually all happy. There are of course exceptions, but they are definitely in the minority. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised to discover this during my time at Yale. I didn't expect it.

Charles

Like most Ivy League schools, the stereotype of a Yale student is probably a wealthy snooty preppy brat more than anything.That's the stereotype I had before I visited. In reality, you see almost none of that in reality at Yale. Yale students, faculty and staff (especially in the Divinity School) are actually incredibly friendly, helpful and accessible. I was shocked to see how middle class the average student is too.

Yale University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.