Philippi, WV
Alderson Broaddus University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Alderson Broaddus University

Katie

I loved the campus. It was a very nice atmosphere and the faculty was great. I felt really comfortable being there and had a great college visit.

I understand what college is all about in many ways; from having good grade to dropping a class and retaking. I learned there are many people who view life in different ways here at ABU. I fall under the stereotype of another football who does not want to be serious however I refuse to fail here. There are many different types of professors here some look to help past enough while others make it hard on you. Overall I like the school because of football however, the school is very expensive and scholarships are the best things to hope for.

The academics at my school are as any school everyone puts their grades first here. Although teachers have multiple classes there are excellent professors here.

Brandon

Alderson-Broaddus is a small private school that encourages diversity, athletics and academics as a part of everyday life through hands on activities, enlightening events and their school motto: "You can do that here!"

My school is best known for the nursing program, that has a whopping 98% pass rate, and an ample sport community creating a diverse campus with athletes everywhere!

As everyone has probably stated, I would have started the whole college recruiting process earlier for swimming. I should have gotten my name out to more colleges and applied for way more scholarships. However, I dont regret what I did or didn't do in high school because that chapter in my book is over. I am in a great college with teammates, friends and professors that I couldn't ask more from. My life has been great. My Dual Enrollment classes transfered over. I tried my best in high school and it took me very far. Im learning a lot such as time managment, living 800 miles away from home, and more which have helped develop me into a young man. So to be strait forward, I wouldn't tell myself to do one thing different in fear that I would change the future. I have no regrets and thats how I live my life.

Zachary

My classmates seem to be focused and quite attentative. I believe many students who attend this school have their priorites straight, and have goals they are striving to reach. Many students, including myself attend class every day. Realistically, just as any other college some students have some priorities to straighten out in their lives, but in general I am a proud Alderson-Broaddus College Battler.

I come from a family in which college isnt a norm. I am one of the first in my family who has made the commitment to a college education. If I was in a situation where I can go back in time to give myself advice there are a couple things I would highly recommend to myself. First, I would focus on studying. The high school that I had attended did not exactly require studying skills for education. Yes, application was necessary, but I lacked on the study techniques. Without realizing it, by not developing good study skills I was only putting myself behind in the race before the gates were even opened. Even though I have learned the hard way, I have already developed some base of study skills that are allowing me to score higher on my tests. Another important peice of advice I would acknowledge myself of if I was able to go back in time is priority. What may be first on my list of things I want to do, may not necessarly benefit my future's results in the greatest way possible. Organization and prioritizing are a couple things I have been currently working on.

There are many excellent things about A-B College. From it being a small campus where everyone knows everyone to its location practically in the middle of nowhere where students do not have the choice to get themselves in trouble. Even though there are several positives about this college, I can easily say that my favorite thing about this school it the small classes and the available one-on-one time with the professors.

Haley

Alderson Broaddus College is a great place to learn, grow, and see some beautiful sights while just being yourself.

My classmates are welcoming, friendly, unique, and are some of the people I can see myself being friends with for the rest of my life.

Out of my college experience, I've gained knowledge in a variety of well-rounding subjects, a better understanding of the world around me, and skills to sustain myself throughout life on my own. It has been valuable because I've made connections here and learned a lot of things, neither of which will i ever forget.

I have gotten a great deal of knowledge and work experience out of my college career during my past year at Alderson-Broaddus College than I have ever gained in my high school career.

How nice the campus is, how great the professors are, and how much fun I have when I am not studying.

Not having enough time during the week for social time due the stressful nature of my major.

By attending college away from my home and outside of my comfort zone, I've learned how to live alone. I have people I talk to in classes but they aren't exactly friends. At first, I was scared to go to college. I didn't know anybody. I barely knew the town I was in, but after a few semesters, it started to feel like home. I learned how to go out by myself and not feel completely awkward. I learned that I can live happily and successfully by myself if I have to. I've also learned to appreciate my hometown more. Since being away, I'm more excited about attending high school games and meeting up eith old friends.

Chad

Individuals that work hard and realize that we are here to get an education to better our future and the future generations.

College has given me so much since I have been in high school. What I mean by this is that i have learned about myself, not only other individuals. Doing this gives yourself a way to see how you compare to some of the world. When a anybody realizes what is happening around them gives them a better chance of being successful. I have learned how to study in/out of the classroom plus helping other classmates and friends with my experiences. This is not to say that I have helped some other person but to give a prospective to that person that I never did get. With these attributes that I have acquired I'm stonger, smarter, and better person. I understand that there is more to learn but for the moment these are the things I have learned from the first two years of college.

A person who is use to city life and doesn't know how to change to a rural aea or lazy, that don't understand what they are here for would not do well.

Jordan

First off, don't slack! I know you're good at getting by with A's and B's with fairly little effort in most of your easier classes, but that really doesn't help when it comes time to study for the harder ones. It gets you out of the habit and makes you want to fall back into the bad one of slacking. There are always going to be things you would rather be doing, but succumbing to that feeling won't get you anywhere in the real world. When you get to college and have all this spare time on your hands, you're going to have to choose between studying or playing and relaxing. Of course, the latter two are way more inviting, but when it comes down to a test, you're going to wish you'd have studied more when you had the time. Cramming for a seven chapter biology test is not fun. Now, of course, you will have to slow down and take a breather every once in a while; if you didn't you would have a breakdown. Just get into good habits now, and it'll make things easier later.

The best thing about A-B, to me, is probably where it is located. Philippi, WV is a small town where it seems like everybody knows everybody. Even though there isn't a lot to do outside of campus, the town has a friendly atmosphere, and the fact that the school isn't in a huge city with tons of places to go means that there are less distractions when it comes time to study. However, if one finds oneself with some free time, Philippi is within driving distance of many bigger cities that have more to do and see.

A-B has an excellent science program, and since I am a biology major, I take full advantage of it. The school is small, so the student to faculty ratio is smaller, and you're not treated as just a number here. The professors and faculty know you and will stop just to chat if you see them during spare time. They really do care about the students that go here and want to help them to succeed. They love their jobs and are good at what they do.

Amber

I'd tell myself to study, learn to study and to stop procrastinating. And probably to acquire some time management skills. I've never been one who needed to study and in all honesty, I haven't had to study much through college, but I would have done better if I had. I also would have done better if I hadn't written most of my papers within 24 hours of their due date. Procrastination just adds to the stress level and it's high enough from normal college activity. And then there's the issue of time management. Sometimes it's necessary to do homework instead of watching an all day marathon of some show you've never seen (and are now addicted to) on ABC Family or Lifetime or wherever. But most importantly, have fun and experience all you can. That's what college is for. Join clubs, organizations, step outside your comfort zone and do something crazy. And if you have any good friends from high school, keep them. You need someone to hang out with on breaks so your parents don't drive you crazy.

The campus is located about 20 minutes from civilization. There is very little to do in town and so sometimes to have fun you have to drive somewhere else and even then your options are limited.

It is a small school, so if you like larger classes where you are less likely to be noticed then this school isn't for you.

Alderson Broaddus University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.