New York, NY
CUNY Hunter College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY Hunter College

Qingling

The student body population at Hunter College is eclectic in nature and for that reason does not necessarily have one particular on-going stereotype. In fact, with such diversity all kinds of stereotypes can be found from geek to chic.

Joselyn

My school is best known for its education quality. It has been rank number two for “Best Value” in public education according to the “Best Value Colleges for 2010”. According to “The Princeton Review’s” 2011 edition of the "Best 373 Colleges" it’s one of the best colleges or universities in the United States.

I would say to my kid self the following “ Jay you are on your way to college, I know you want to go out of state and get away from you old man, but unless you get a full ride to go out of state, you should not go out of state because it’s EXPENSIVE. Stay in state and with your grades you won’t have to worry about owing too much money to the government. You will be going to one of the top CUNY’s and you will have a chance to go out of state for Law school with more money in your favor to afford it. Even though transitioning into the college life is not easy, but considering everything you been through, I know you can handle it because you want to be successful and you won’t let any obstacle get in your way no matter how hard it is to cross. Stay focused and be the best you can be, try harder every time, stay positive and truthful to your values and ideals”.

The best thing I consider about my school is that it challenges students academically, you have to be on your toes regardless of what discipline in you are in or taking courses from, If you get carless and loss focus you will not make it in this institution; it’s not for carless students. You have to keep focused and balance everything else in your life in order to be successful in this school.

I would tell myself to follow my passion. Sometimes things sound better, or look better on paper than they are in real life. Just because an ivy league sounds expensive, or a year at a conservatory sounds like a waste of money, it may not be the case. Only you can decide what is valuable and not in your life. Take control of your decisions and decide for yourself. It's much easier to be wrong and change your mind when you're young than it is to live life wondering what could have been, and regretting not giving everything a try. If you love something or really want something, try it. There's always a way to figure out the aspects that seem stressful, like money. Have fun in these early years on your own, but know that there is a lot of hard work involved. Also, don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, to grow we must learn and to learn we must experiment and experiments aren't always successful. Be proud of who you are and go whole-heartedly into whatever you'd like and you'll be absolutely fine.

I wish I would have known that the financial aid they bragged about at college fairs etc. was mostly fake. My family lies barely above the poverty line and out of the five semesters I have attended CUNY Hunter College I have only recieved assistance one semester, and neglegable assistance at that. I also wish I'd known that their art programs weren't competitive or up to par with the arts scene in NYC. They are very behind and even seem a bit ridiculous and petty at times. The performing arts programs are especially unprofessional.

Daniel

Not to worry, the transition is not that much of a difference than high school and to learn about the classes and register early so i would have the classes that i would want.

I wish i had known what classes i was able to take so i could have worked out my schedule the way i wanted.

I brag about the quality of the class. I have only been going to this school for a week and the teachers are extremely helpfull and so is the staff.

Nicholas

Most of the people I've shared a class with have been nice. My first semester, I had a block program so I'm still friends with most of the people that were in my block. I find it hard to judge the other classmates. Some are pretentious know-it-all's. Others wind up being awesome, but I don't realize this until the very last class. So it's basically like any other school, where there is an even divide of assholes and normal people

My school is best known for being fairly liberal. Most of the classes tend to lean toward English, History, Film and Humanities. It is also notorious for being almost impossible to register for a science class. There is one psycology class for 10,000 people. Another trend I've noticed is that most people I know that went to Hunter stayed for two years and then left to other college. One girl I knew became a farmer, but I don't think that's really the school's fault.

Hey Nick. Yes that amazed look on your face is appropriate. I'm you from the future. There's a lot I have say so please stop screaming "Holy Shit" and listen. I come from the amazing year of 2011. What's that? No there's no flying cars, it's only been three years. Can we please focus? I know you're stressed out right now about what you want to do with your life. High school is almost over and you feel lost. Good news, besides the secrets of time travel (more on that later), I bring some advice on college. First thing's first, don't go away for the "college experience". You can certainly have a good time without it costing $30,000 a year, and your social life won't suffer. Something I must stress is your studying. Playing xbox everyday after school, is no way to get an education. Put the work in idiot, it's going to pay off in the long run. Join some clubs and be outgoing. Also, it may seem like a good idea at the time but do NOT grow that moustache. Life's hard enough.

If I could go back to the begining of my senior year in high school I would talk to myself about planning for my college and career sooner. I thought that had it all figured out, but I was so wrong. I would tell myself to put more time and thought into my dual credit classes. I would have taken my English Comp in high school, instead of Government, so that I could dedicate more time to my Chemistry and Anatomy classes this semester. The government class is not a required prerequisit for the nursing program at my college. The English class is on the other hand required, so I feel as though I have wasted some time and money. I could have simply gotten the Engilsh class finishe my senior year and had way mor time this semester to dedicate to my Lab Sciences. Our family is not wealthy. We have 4 children that are all either in college or about to be in college, so things are tight for my parents. I would definately go back and plan better so that this year would be less stressful for me as well as my hardworking parents.

Raquelle

Hunter is a hassle-free learning environment: sign up, do the work, graduate and get a career.

Hunter offers a unique perspective being in the middle of such a large city. It exposes you to the extremes of the real world around every corner. And I think being in New York City, it drives students to live the "New York" lifestyle when they leave college, which is probably benifical for their careers. They make it easy to register for and take your classes (with the exception of only offering some courses once a day). And the diversity that you find here won't be matched at most other schools in this country.

Going back, I wish I had asked more questions to people who had expereince with college. I would have been able to find answers and a career path a lot sooner. I also would have applied for more scholarships and lived in dorms or at home so that I could focus full time on studying, save money, and avoid taking out loans. Had my high school or first college required more diverse classes, I would have been able to find areas of interest without it being such a guessing game, so that I could have moved at a faster pace toward a job that I want, as opposed to working just to pay bills, with little engagement in my work. I also would have studied multiple languages from an earlier point and taken advantage of study abroad opportunities.

Sean

I would say Hunter College is best known for it's nursing program. A good number of my friends are in either the nursing or pre-med program. From my understanding, the curriculums of these programs are very rigorous. I also know that the pre-law program is well known. I am a student in the pre-law program, and noticed that a number of my peers attended Hunter specifically to study law.

Hey buddy, listen up. I know you're worried about leaving for school. You're going to be on your own now. Our friends are going to different schools. Even the ones that are staying home are hours away. But at the end of the semester, they're still going to be our brothers. Trust me, you'll make new friends, despite the fact that we haven't made new friends since the seventh grade. Hard as it is, trust those guys you meet on move-in day. They'll help show you around the big city. Watch out for those girls though. You'll know what I'm talking about later. But talk to that Olivia Ferrari. She likes us. I know you're dead set on that communications major. You're not the least bit worried about academics. Take Media 385 your first semester. Don't ask why, just trust me. That'll help you decide what major you really want to go for. I'm not going to just tell you what to declare before you take a few classes. We're stubborn, so I know you won't listen to me yet anyway.

I wish that I knew more about New York City when I started school. When I moved into my dorm, I didn't know where I was going or how to get around town. I think that I spent too much time getting used to the city. Before I knew it, I was heading home for the summer, and missing the city. I really enjoyed my sophomore year right from the start. I think that's because I was more comfortable in New York City after my first year.

Elisa

I actually dropped out of high school during sophmore year. I was pregnant and living on my own. Once i had my son i got my GED and applied for college shortly after. Now i am currently attending Kilian Community College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and working towards my degree in Medical Assisting.

Shirley

Knowing what I know now about college life, the best advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to stop being so apathetic about life but to instead discover my desires FOR life and to allow it to carve my path for my future . I'm currently attending Hunter College as a Second Degree student due to my lack of passion while attending my undergraduate school. After graduating high school, I began college without any understanding of who I was or what I wanted to be and as a result decided it was just easier to follow my parent's guidance because, at the time, it was just easier to to make them happy than it was to make myself happy with what career path I was going to choose. As a result, I chose a career path whose identity I could not wrap myself around and it was because of this that I finally went through a phase of self discovery to really understand who I was and what it is I really want to do. If I could go back in time to talk to myself, I would say "Start my self discovery NOW"

The best thing about Hunter College is the vast array of diversity present on the campus. I moved up here from South Carolina and was never exposed to such a diverse environment before. It is pretty incredible how open minded and sociable people are on topics. Coming to this school has broken a lot of stereotypes that I once had.

Individuals who don't take the initiative here and are conservative in nature. There a so many opportunities here that if you don't fight for them, will easily be taken by someone else. People here are very resourceful so use it to your advantage! Network and be open to ideas!

CUNY Hunter College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.