Saint Louis, MO
Harris-Stowe State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harris-Stowe State University

Mackenzie

I was very excited to attend Harris-Stowe but I feel like it let me down on numerous occasions and that is very disappointing. The school is very disorganized, not very clean, and it is a negative atmosphere. The students are wild and reckless, and can basically get away with what ever they want to do. One thing I will say is that the professors are very kind and helpful. This school is not for me.

Janice

I wish I would have attended a different university. Unfortunately, this administration DOES NOT care for their students. They make us wait 2-3 months just to receive OUR refund money which students use mainly to pay for their bills and make sure that they’re able to make it school. NO OTHER UNIVERSITY IN MISSOURI DOES THIS BUT HARRIS STOWE. They have an emergency assistance program but they wait 1-2 months just to let you know whether they’re going to assist you or not. The administration acts as if they’re just there for a paycheck rather than assisting students. If you’re not a known student administrators are reluctant to help you. Activity fees are included in the tuition BUT THEY STILL CHARGE STUDENTS FOR THE ACTIVITIES ON CAMPUS. If you wanted to save $300-400 on books by using Cheggs or another company you can’t because they automatically charge you the cost of books in your tuition which should be a decision that students make. I could go on and on about this school but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone in this administration is stealing funds.

Christina

I honestly love my school because although it’s an HBCU, it’s still very diverse and you learn things about people from different walks of life. You learn peoples likes and dislikes, personalities, dreams and you share that bond with one another. It gets no better than Harris-Stowe.

Teyrra

Overall I believe that Harris-Stowe is a great university to be apart of. All of my academic classes are overall easy to understand but at the same time still show some challenges. Also, the campus has a very homely or family-oriented feel mainly because every event or activity that is hosted such as: "Meet the Greeks", to the NAACP fashion show, or the hilarious BFF game show, we all always go to these events together as a HBCU and have a blast which makes it an inevitably great memory and experience to have been apart of.

Jarrod

The advice I would give myself as a high school student would be to always set goals in life. Make sure you study hard to try and qualify for some very good scholarships. Always do your best. Most of the time, if you get a high gpa in high school ,many colleges give full scholarships to that student. A full scholarship would mean alot to any student that needs the money. The student would not have to worry about how they would pay for school. I came close,but not close enough to get a full scholarship for college. Prepare yourself to take responsibilty for your actions in life. Remember good actions brings on good behaviors and good success. Bad actions brings on bad decisions and bad consequences. If you need help always ask for help, either from upper classmates or from the staff of proffesors. Many colleges have success centers, tutors and study groups to help students to succeed in college. Be responsible for yourself and never be a follower of bad peoples. If you see people doing wrong don't engage yourself with them. Always watch your surroundings and keep your belongings in a safe place locked up.

Well I feel if you are not serious about your education. Then college is not for that student. If you just want to get away from home and don't study. You have be focus on your studies. If you are not responsible you should not attend this college. You have to concentrate on succeeding in college. If you don't like to follow the rules college is not for that student, You have to be mature and responsible to take care of yourself. You have to have a goal to press forward to get what you want from school.

Well the most frustrating thing that I had a problem with were the tuition. I had a hard time getting in school. I had to pay a large amount of money up front before I could get cleared to move in my dorm and start classes. It was a struggle for my mom to come up with the money. My mom is a widow. My dad passed away severals years ago. My mom is so determined to get me through college. It is her goal to see me gratuate from college. I want to make her proud of me.

Aya

Harris Stowe State University is accessable, afordable, and diverse university.

Harris Stowe State University is accessable, afordable, and diverse university.

The transition between high school and college is very different. We should be more respectful to our instroctors because we are an adult now and we need to be respectful to the students , instroctors or even anyone ,so the other people would be respectful to us as well. College requires more studying and writing essays than high school. I think its usuall because we need to be perfect at writing so we can get a good job and do well. That would give us the oppurtunity to get a good salary and re-pay back the loans we took out while we were studying.

It could be any person to attend this university because its a cheap place to get your degree from without taking out loans or stress by how you going to re-pay them back. Its a good university and has an excellent instroctors.

tarik

For being a Black college

For being a Black college

Well i wouldnt tell myself much but to train harder for the upcoming college soccer season and tell myself to be more organized.

they need a better athletics facility and equipment

Andrena

Well Harris-Stowe State University is not really a well known school,but in the city of Saint louis,Missouri it is known as the only Historically Black College or University with in Saint Louis. The school is also known for it's production of great teachers.Even people that are not attending this school for a teaching degree know that this school has one of the best teaching programs in the Mid-west.

From my college experience I've made many life long friends and I've been taught the many different ways to be successful in life.Out of the many experiences that I've had at this school the most valuable would be the individual attention provided by the teachers and also the many academic help opportunities that this school provides.

The best thing about Harris-Stowe is that the classroom sizes are small, so it allows for more one on one conversations between teachers and students. Another great thing about Harris Stowe is the residence hall. Gillespie Hall contains three floors housing more then 200 students. Also the suites are equipt to house four people all with individual rooms and a shared kitchen area.

Harris-Stowe State University is best known as a "teacher's school". Harris-Stowe started off being a college for people who planned on being teachers, and even now, a lot of our students are planning on being teachers.

I graduated from high school at the top of my class. After graduation, I attended Saint Louis University but ended up dropping out after my first semester because I felt like "making money" was more beneficial at that point of time. I waited for four years to get back into school but I am glad that I followed through with my plans. Since I am more mature than I was when I was 19, I see now just how important an education is. I have been able to focus on my work as opposed to going out and having fun with my friends just because "that's the thing to do". Once I am finished, I will be able to look back and proudly say that even with holding down two jobs, I was able to graduate with good grades, leading me to my dream life.

One of the benefits of this institution is that we accept students whose grades would prevent them from being accepted to other colleges. This is an advantage because it provides opportunities that some students wouldn't necessarily have. However, because of this, we have a lot of immature students. Getting the most out of class can be a challenge as the teacher has to get the disruptive students in order before proceeding with the lesson.

Greg

The Frist thing I would tell myself is to apply to everyschool in the US. I would have apply for more outside scholarship I really didnt try to hard on that. I wouldnt have made the mistake as most people do and drop out after the first year of being in college.

I wish that there where more school activity for us to get involve with and that they had more of a variety of scholarship available for us.

The teacher seem like they can care less about our education, I feel like that its want be enough to prepare me for grad school.

Harris-Stowe State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.