Harrisburg, PA
Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg

Gretchen

College will be a time of growth for you. Time will stand still as you build relationships and find your wings as an adult. It’s the first time you’ll be on your own and the path you choose to walk will shape the career you walk away with. Having been to college at three different points in my life I have learned a lot of lessons. My first experience boiled down to a $20,000 bar tab. The second was an extreme challenge while working fulltime but a healthy reminder of what I had taken for granted years before. Now 36 years old I have returned again to see a real degree through to the end and finally know the most important lesson of all. College isn’t about the beer, the sorority, the meal plan or the party. College isn’t even about the degree. It’s about education. It’s about learning and using your new knowledge to go out and improve your piece of the world. If you are not learning with passion, you are wasting your money and your time. Knowledge is power and I implore you to go out and grab your share!

The kind of person who should attend this school is someone who wants to get their feet wet with the college scene before heading off to a large school. HACC offers a great variety and a strong start to building your degree. The professors are easily assessable and smart about the subjects they teach. They want you to share your opinion and move the conversation further. They appreciate your hard work and are always there for your needs and many questions. Some students need a stepping stone after high school and a college like HACC is just the answer!

There are two things I find valuable about my school. First I've had many incredible, passionate teachers to learn from. They made the burden of returning to school after almost a decade, a real breeze. They enabled me to find my voice and use the talents I thought I no longer had. Further, the course material and discussion questions in each class have been relevant and modern. I’m learning applicable ideas and debating issues you hear around every water cooler in America. I feel much more intune with the world and my place in it.

It is best known for being a cheap school, where anyone of any race and financial status can attend college, and then either graduate with an associates or transfer to 4-year college.

If I could talk to myself, back when I was about to graduate, I would tell myself that I shouldn't be nervous about what I would and would not be able to do. Yes, there are going to be days when the money is tight, and the homework is difficult. However, I have found that life has a way of working out for the better, if you make wise choices along the way. I feel that I am an intelligent person, and that, as long as I make wise choices, I will be able to accomplish anything, not just earning a college degree. I feel that I will also obtain the job I have always wanted. So, I would tell myself to not be intimidated. Although it will take time to see it, the future ahead is bright.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of people willing to join in groups. Because of this, groups such as the Music Group have had to be dropped. As a music buff, I wish that I was able to join the Music Group, and do more extracurricular activities with it.

Gretchen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would not talk. I would yell at myself. I chose not to participate in any clubs or group organizations in high school or college and really struggled with being social. Making the transition to a community college did not provide as many opportunities to interact in sports, clubs or other extra curricular. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself how important it is to get involved no matter where you are in school or work. The ability to communicate and build relationships is priceless.

Alyssa

If I could speak to my high school self, I would tell her to STOP EATING JUNK FOOD. That is literally the only thing I regret doing. Once I got a job, I spent so much money on food and candy without realizing the repercussions of my actions. Soon, I began to understand when I gained a ton of weight and started noticing my clothes were getting tighter and tighter. I had always been bigger growing up, but it had really gotten out of hand. Now, in my second year in college, I go to the gym a lot more with the hope that I can lose more weight than I gained, but do regret eating all of that unhealthy food. I exercise frequently, and I’ve already lost a lot of weight, but I wish I had started sooner than now. Maybe if I started at age sixteen rather than nineteen, I could already have seen much better and faster results.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler, I dont think I would. My highschool carrer had its up and downs but I believe that everything that happens, happens for a reason. Every time I got a bad grade, I learned from it. Every friend ship/ break up that I went through, needed to happen. I see myself now as a respectful and responsible individual and if I changed anything in my past, I may be a differnt person now because of it.

Harrisburg Area Community College has a wonderful staff. The teacher to staff ratio is smaller than larger colleges, so as a student, i feel I am getting more individualized help in the class room. The professors were welcoming and supportive. While taking my general education classes I wanted more help than others and it was more than welcomed. There is free turtoring for every subject which was also helpful to me and others.

When I talk about my college to my friends I always brag about the beauty of the campus. We have about five buildings with georgeous court yards between each one. The school committees take wonderful care of them during all the seasons. Trees and flowers blooming lovely colors keep the campus upbeat and comfortable.

Devaki

My classmates are kind, friendly and easy to talk with. I enjoy talking with them whether we are talking about homework, classes or other things that are happening in our lives. I feel comfortable talking with them even I don't know all of them very well. I enjoy spending time with them because they are so nice and easy to talk to.

Harrisburg Area Community College cares very much for the community and the hundreds of students who attend the college daily. The college does as much as it can to make the college a comfortable, safe and welcoming place for all people who attend the college.

Time management is very important. As a college student, one of the best things that one can do is learn how to manage their time efficently. They are only twenty-four hours in a day and one must use those hours time wisely. One should set up daily study time and daily homework time. Effort is very important in college. One should go the extra mile in order to succeed. Don't just take the easy way out and just do the minium amount required for your classes. Work even harder and put more time and effort into all that you do. It pays off because one gets better grades and your professors are more likely to help you out when they see how much effort you put into your work. It also helps you grow and become more skilled in that area of study. Remember this: succeeding in college requires a lot of hard work, patience, strength, will power and time. The college journey may have some bumps in the roads at time but it is worth it! So keep going. Don't give up even when there are bumps in the road.

LeeAnna

Relazing, affordable, and great for students with full time jobs or other commintments.

The teachers in the education department really like what they are doing and are motivated to motivate you.

The only adivce I would give myself is to make better study habits. I had horrible study habits and had to really crack down on them in college. I have managed to keep all A's and B's but if I had the study habits in high school I have know I could have done better in school. High school seemed like a breeze but I should have challenged myself more. I would also tell myself to get prepared. College is going to blow your mind. You will learn so much and be even more motivated to become a teacher.

Keisha

Harrisburg Area Community College is much different then all the other schools I have in consideration because the other schools are all universities adn this is my first community college.

When i first decided to go to college i was excited and extremely dreading the horrors of crazy work loads. College was not as bad as i thought it would be, there are many young adults that have the same interests and are able to tutor others in the areas they need work on as well as tutors provided by the school. Attending college has been a goal of mine since I was in middle school because I will the first in my immediate family to have a full college education. I love going to school and being able to think of myself greatly for doing so.

Shawna

If I could go back, I would tell myself not to be so intimidated by the financial burden of the school you are dying to attend. Don't worry about the impact your leaving will have on your family; they love you and want to see you succeed. Don't take that year off to evaluate if you really want what you think you do, and work to save money. You won't. You'll get caught up in a world that seems great, but believe me, the greatness of it fades fast. You will waste money dropping out of a school that you justified for yourself, only to find yourself years later settling on the only school you can afford. Follow your dreams no matter what the cost; the real world experience you'll get outside of school is important, but you have the rest of your life for that. Nothing will ever take away the regret you'll feel for not having grabbed life by the horns and going after what you really wanted. You are an intelligent and independent young woman...dive in and don't be scared!

i'm currently taking online classes, so at the moment i can't find a whole lot that I don't like. However, I did find the actual campus a little confusing to navigate when I had to go purchase books. Also, the advisors weren't very encouraging when I was signing up for my classes, because I was taking a heavy courseload and hadn't been in school for a while.

I'm currently attending the virtual campus, so all of my classes are online. People who aren't good with self-study, time management, and organization definitely shouldn't attend.

My school is incredibly determined to help the student achieve success without enabling them to a fault.

My classmates vary drastically and from my point of view it seems to greatly depend on life experience and/or the actual age of the person.

Even though I have had a grim and strenuous past; arduous events are the tests of our resilience and how we choose to move forward. I will not be a victim again, nor will I be yet another that sits and watches passively. These occurrences have changed me forever and directly affected those around me. My intention is to continue to cause effect and change, but from here on out t will be done positively versus the havoc I have endured. I cannot honestly name a more eye opening and heart wrenching experience than having the person that you once viewed as your best friend and loved unconditionally as your biggest fear and threat. I was naive and idealistic in regards to domestic violence and the judicial system. It is my goal and mission to help make change and deliver the level of compassion, humanity and legal allegiance that I was denied and once believed in without hesitation. For that, I deem myself as lucky. Luck is by chance and change is by choice. I wouldn?t change who I am and that is due to what I have endured. The key is to learn and not repeat mistakes twice.

Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.