Harrisburg, PA
Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg

erik

When I was a senior, making memories was my main focus. I should have understood that, while it was important to enjoy your senior year, your future is just starting. I recently heard a phrase that "winners make it happen, loosers let it happen." Too often, I let things happen. I would tell myself to be more proactive, be more in charge. I would make a list of the things I NEED to do to reach my goal as a computer programmer. A good idea would be to have my lists done on a yearly basis so I could see achievement of goals more quickly. If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would say in a very loud and clear voice... STAY FOCUSED.

I think I assumed it would be like 13th grade. It was much harder than I thought and there was a lot of responsibility placed on you, the student. This year's enrollment is the largest they have had and securing classes , teacher's time, and advisor's time has been very competitive.

HACC is a local community college that seems to make the effort to landscape beautifully that would rival four year colleges. The college is spaced out to make going from class to class easy.

erik

There is very little guidance with regards to what classes would be a best fit with you AND your future. Sometimes it seems generic answers are given with regards to what classes to take and there is little consideration to which class you need and fits you with what class you would do best in. I do understand there are times where there is no choice but when there is a choice, sometimes it appears a generic,, quick answer is given. In addition, classes fill up very quickly.

This is the largest enrollment HACC has had, parking is difficult and securing the classes needed is very competitive. You may have to e mail a teacher several times to get a response. It feels as if my advisor really does not care about my future.

Mercedes

My school has a large range of students. There are mostly young adults ranging from 18 years of age to 22 years of age and non-traditional students typically in their mid thirties to forties. In regards to the young adults, there are two kinds. There are the ones that are simply going to school because their parents are forcing them and there are the others that are extremely dedicated to learning. They view the school as an opportunity to save money as well as build up a higher gpa before transferring. The school also has every ethnicity possibe.

Many colleges accept HACC's credits. This means, if you are trying to keep cost down, you can take your first two years there and then transfer to a four year as a junior and finish your schooling then. Also, there are many different kinds of professors. Some are professional teachers but many are from the actual work force. An example is a district attorney teaching a criminal justice course. This helps students not only learn but have some one to talk to when deciding what to do.

When you are in high school, teachers and advisors tell students that they need courses like geometry and life management, but really they don?t. Instead of taking geometry, my senior year, I should have taken courses like College Algebra or any AP course. Secondly, I would advise myself to take the AP exams. Although many do not transfer into the Universities, some do. It?s worth the $60.00 and risking it, rather than ignoring the test and taking that same class for $300.00. Also, your freshman year is usually a repeat of those same high school courses, so it?s better to get credit ahead of time, rather than taking an easy A. Finally, work hard and save up so that you don?t have to work as much while you?re in college. College is expensive and it?s hard to be a full time student and work 20+ hours a week outside of school. It?s smarter to save up as much as you can while in high school, instead of waiting till right before. It?s best to build that mentality while in high school so you can be better prepared.

Elaine

Being given the opportunity to continue your education will become apparent to you one day. There are those out there that would cut off their right arm to be given the gift of education. Don't pass this up. If you do, you will someday look back and say " I wish I would have gone to college. How different would my life had been if I had chosen the right path."

Their Nursing programs are the best on the east coast.

The gift of education is taken for granted by many, they don't see it as a gift.

Kristina

It is a community college. I had planned on attending a 4 year college but after doing some research on some of the schools i realized that i wasnt ready to attend a 4 year school. HACC is a good place to start if you are not ready to move on or if you are not financially able to go away.

As a high school senior i was not very motivated. I knew that I wanted to go to college but I did not try very hard to get into any. Do not just do the bare minimum to get by is the first thing that I would have told myself. Challenge yourself to do what you dont think you can. It will better prepare you for the challenges of college work. Do not be afraid to ask for help or to hear negative criticism. Take the negative and turn into a positive and just work on improving what you were critiqued on. People that give you bad criticism are not trying to break you down, they are trying to help you improve. The most important thing i would tell myself is to not be afraid. Yes when you go to college you are basically on your own, but it is not that hard if you just relax take a step back and evaluate your decision and establish how far you want to go in life. Reach for the stars!

I consider the best thing about my school to be the class size. Harrisburg Area Community College or HACC as we call it doesnt have big class sizes. All the classes that i have attended have about or around the same amount of students that you would have at a high school. There is more teacher student interaction and you are able to get more one on one time if you need extra help.

Laura

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say "Laura you have to focus hard and study to be successful because college is a challange. Also save money because it is not cheap as well. " I didn't graduate from high school though. I got my GED and now attending The Art Institute. But if I could go back in time when I was in high school I would tell myself to get my act together because life is hard without a high school diploma and it's even harder without a degree. Life is not a game and in order to be successful everyone has to work hard to survive and live comfortably.

Desiree

HACC is best known for their flexibility and their cheaper prices. They are also a highly respectable community college. HACC gives those who do not have much money, the chance to succeed and better their lives. They also give one a wide vary of options for careers that students would be interested in. They do not just care about the money. In fact, the offer help for those who do not understand concepts in the courses that they are taking. They also offer jobs to help pay for loans, food, gas, and other necessities needed for college students.

I would tell myself that I should have went to school as soon as I finished high school. I would tell myself that it is a necessity and that I need to make a better life for myself and for the children that I may have in the future. I would also let myself know that I am not alone and that there are plenty of others who are in the same boat that I am and that there are plenty of programs and colleges willing to help with school. I would also tell myself that there are many options for paying school and that I do not have to have everything figured out right away. I would assure myself that I can do this and assure myself that I am smarter than I think that I am.

There is not exactly a type of person that should attend school. Schooling should be about determination and wanting to succeed. Those who do not want to succeed or are not determined to make something of themselves probably should not continue their education. Anyone can go to school, but it is really about how badly they want to succeed and how badly they want to better themselves. Now days, it is almost manditory to further our education because most jobs require a college degree.

Julia

HACC is a smaller campus that offers many unigue programs, whether someone is interested in vocational training, transferring to a four year college, receiving their associates degree, or continuing their adult education.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, I would tell myself to think carefully before choosing a college. I knew that I wanted to go to college, but I wasn't sure what course of study I was interested in. I would tell myself to consider going to community college first, while I was still trying to figure out what I wanted. I ended up changing colleges and majors several times, which has cost me alot of extra tuition. If I had gone to community college first, I could have saved myself tuition expenses by taking my general education courses there, while I was trying to figure out what specific major I wanted. After attending a four year college, I ended up back at community college to get an associates degree in paralegal studies. I could have saved myself the time and expense had I started at the community college. Moving away to college is a big step, and when I was a high school senior, I really wasn't ready for it yet. I should have started in community college. That is what I would tell myself if I could go back.

This school is good for people who know that they want to continue their education, but might not be sure what field they are interested in. HACC has alot of different programs that people could try out to decide which type of major they would be interested in. Adults looking for further job training or to change fields would also benefit from an education at HACC.

Laura

Since I am starting my second year of college, I found out that it's not much different from high school. I always applied myself and gave it everything that I had and I still do now. I haven't learned anything new that would have helped me senior year of high school. I always studied hard no matter what.

Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.