Hagerstown, MD
Kaplan University-Hagerstown Campus

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kaplan University-Hagerstown Campus

Latarsha

Kaplan University-Online is known for their great instructors, tutoring center, library, tech support and providing great resources to the students from internships, jobs, field-based organizations.

If I could turn back the hands in time, I would have told myself that becoming a teenage mom was not plan in store for me. I would had told myself to cut the social life and concentrate more on my studies, applied for colleges and volunteered more of my time to many non-profit organizations.

I wish I had explained to my children a little better that going back to school as a single, full-time employeed mother that it takes determination and will-power to achieve the goal I have set for myself. In order to change your life must put in the time to make the change.

Kimberly

I have been attending Kaplan University Online for a year now, and I have had a great experience so far. The only thing that I have had a problem with is financial aid, as the school does 4 terms a year instead of the regular 3 semesters, and can be confusing. The teachers are very involved with the students, and there are a lot of groups and extracurricular activities. There is also options for tutoring, which has been extremely helpful.

I am majoring in psychology- child development. I was worried about taking online classes, but the teachers and other students are very involved. Each week it is required that we have a class discussion, and we "meet" once a week for an online seminar/lecture. There are a lot of activities for students of all majors, and there are a lot of clubs you can be involved in. The school does offer an employment service, and a mentoring service for the psychology club.

Lisa

Describing Kaplan University is interesting. The campus is anywhere of your choosing. Everything is done from your computer. You log in and verify your credentials. In terms of a traditional brick and mortor institution this would be considered the front door. The next thing is the school home page. Here you will find access to your records, the school library, information center and classes. In traditional terms you would be walking different hallways that take you where you need to go. For instance, lets say that you want to go to a specific classroom. You locate it in the current classes area and click to enter. This would open a new page with your classroom on it. In other words, you walked down the hallway to your class and have entered. Once there you will do a variety of different things assigned during the unit. Just like the real deal only virtual...

What's the Greek scene like?

Kaplan University has clubs, honor societies and fraternities like any college. We focus primarily on the academics, not the sports and frat life like many traditional universities. This decreases the distractions of college life allowing the student to focus on the academics that will enrich their life post graduation.

I believe as on line students we are often characterized as people who wouldn't be accepted at traditional brick and mortar institutions. People often equate online schooling with the old mail in schooling of the 80's. People assume that your grades and degree plans are somehow less than those earned by traditional students. They almost discredit you in their minds eye without knowing any other facts about you or your school. The truth is none of these stereotypes are true. The students at Kaplan University are very dedicated to their degree plan. The professors are very dedicated to teaching. We have live seminars once a week and an on- going discussion board during the week. Each unit has assignments and required reading and are often accompanied by graded quizzes. An online student has to be self-motivated and want to achieve. Kaplan University is an accredited learning institution. Our degree plans are equal to traditional learners. We are pioneers of online learning. It is up to us to prove we are equal to those of traditional means.

I love my school. I have ungone the most wonderful transformation during my time here. Kaplan University has the best virtual program out there. They employ best professors and have a vast academic catalog. In fact, I love this school so much that after my graduation in the fall, I intend to return for my Masters in Legal Studies.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

The good news is there is no need to call home! Virtual education allows you to stay home. This means that you will never be home sick for your friends or family.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Kaplan has no sport team. We have a radio station, but no sports team. It allows the student to focus on the academics without the distraction.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

One of the best things about virtual education is that there really isn't a social scene like that found at traditional schools. We may choose to interact with each other outside the classroom via phone and social media. Other than that, the social scene is what your already doing right now.

What do students complain about most?

The Kaplan University workload is comparable to that of the traditional college student. We do not write long seemingly endless papers, our assignments are designed with our real lives in mind. At Kaplan University the workload is manageable as long as you stay caught up. The thing we complain about the most is paying a technology fee but not having the choice of traditional textbook or e-book. It is by no means a deal breaker. I love my school!

The students at my school are wonderful. The student population of racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic and other backgrounds are diverse. I can't imagine someone not feeling welcome during their time at Kaplan University. We never see each other during our live seminars or in the classroom. We interact with each other on discussion boards, where we show respect, even when a difference of opinion exist. During seminars we listen to the Professor and view the whiteboard presentation along with our typed comments in real time. This really takes a lot of the politics and pressure out of the classroom environment. We have honor societies and clubs just like you'd find at a brick and mortar institution. As for what to wear to class, that is up to you...

Kaplan University has a wonderful tradition where they send you adorable Birthday and Christmas cards. They are so fun to watch and show your friends and family!!

A virtual education campus can be where ever you desire. You can study at home or on vacation. You can access the virtual campus anywhere that you get a internet connection. So you can enjoy your education from anywhere you can imagine. So have fun with it!

Describe the dorms.

Another beautiful facet to virtual education is that there are no doorms. You can go to school anywhere of your choosing. Whether you want to study by the lake while camping or snuggled in your bed. It's all up to you.

Tell us about your professors.

Kaplan University Professors are very nice. They love teaching and are only an e-mail away to answer to your latest question. Professors have great response time for e-mails. They also hold regular office hours on AIM.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

In 2008 I knew I wanted to go back to school. After 16 years of being out of the classroom I had no idea where to start. I took my child to a political rally for now President Barrack Obama. The event was held on a college campus. That night changed my life, for the first time I believed I could do this. The big question was what would I do and where would I find a school? The answer came when I was selected for Jury Duty in January 2009. The courtroom felt like home, I knew I had my answer. I came home that first day and researched schools. Being a disabled individual I couldn't keep up with the physical demands of a college campus. That's when I began researching on-line learning and it has been a perfect fit. I explored a variety of online schools. Then I took a leap of faith and signed on with Kaplan University. One major thing when looking at an online institution is ensuring they are an accredited school. If they aren't your degree could be worthless. This is one reason I choose Kaplan University.

One nice benefit to on line schooling is there are no popular kids, no bullies, no jocks, no stoners etc... We are all students at Kaplan University. We are just everyday people with jobs and family obligations who desire to learn at our own pace and in our own way. We choose the environment where we study and are responsible for our own successes. We simply go to school while living our everyday lives. We have guest speakers in our classrooms on occasion. On Sundays the Science Department has "Science Sundays" on a variety of topics with impressive guest speakers. We also have a variety of departments that do writing workshops as well as a Math & Writing Centers.

Katherine

From the moment I started my application process I found Kaplan Unkiversity to be welcoming, helpful and very knowledgable. If I ever have any questions concerning academics or financial aid the staff are very eager to help. I love the flexibility of the classes. The professors are wonderful. They work with you when you are having difficulties and are always available. You have chances to network through the many clubs they offer. You also meet alot of people through your seminars and discussion boards. If I were rating this University from 1 to 10 I would give it a 9. .

The unique thing about my campus is it is my living room or bedroom. I take all online classes so I get to be comfortable!

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I have grown in my abilities to communicate with others and have become more social.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Since I am a mom I would like to hear from my children three to four times a week.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No, I don't think so. Maybe the only obstacle you will face is everyone might expect you to be the designated driver. (I don't drink either)

What do people really wear to class?

Because I am taking all online classes I get to wear whatever I want. This includes pajamas!

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

For me it was getting into a routine with school, jobs, and family life.

This university does not have any clicks or popular activities or groups. I am in a couple of groups, the educators club, and two honors groups. This is not a traditional university. Everything you do you do on-line.

I have had great success in academics. The Professors call you by your name when you are communicating with them through your seminars, DBs, and e-mails. My favorite class so far would have to be Interpersonal Communications. This class is explaining mnay ways of communication and how aand what we should consider when communicating with people. My least favorite class was Math. I am not very good with numbers. I don't know about other students but I study at least three times a week. You do have opportunities to have study groups. Class participation is very common. The most unique class I have taken is Honors, Social Perspectives of Death and Dying. My major is Early Childhood Development. The school's academic requirements are fair and accessible. Kaplan University wants your learning to coincide with you getting a job in your area of study. They also have job listings which they e-mail to you in your area.

I don't think there are stereotypes attached to Kaplan University. I have never heard of any.

Dee

Kaplan does a great job of providing a well rounded education for it's students. Our teachers have years of experience in their given field and are more than willing to share their experiences with us. The teachers here do everything they can to prepare us for what it would be like to work in our given field. There is a lot of guidance and support provided by not just the Kaplan administration but the teaching staff as well. No matter what class you take there will always be that one person who gripes about having to write papers. But honestly that's a part of college life.

Describe a typical weekend.

Let's see....a typical weekend includes homework and a little bit of sleep. The weekends are the best time to work on projects, papers and the discussion boards.

Tell us about your professors.

I've had some really great professors who aren't afraid to share their experience with students. This gives us a realistic idea of what we're getting into once we graduate.

What are the most popular classes offered?

For Criminal Justice majors I would say Deviance and Violence. You get to learn about victimology and also serial killers.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Kaplan offers the most flexible schedule for what I need. I can continue to work and attend college classes without worrying. There are so many classes available at different times depending on what works for your schedule. It really is the perfect school for anyone with a hectic life.

Absolutely not. I think online students have to work harder because the majority of us are older adults who are returning to school later in life. Most students are juggling being parents, work schedules and getting assignments in on time.

I would say that Kaplan is such a huge melting pot when it comes to the student body. We have people of all ages, lifestyles, economic backgrounds and experiences that attend classes here. We have parents, high school graduates, miliraty personnel, former and current police officers. It really is a very diverse school.

I think people have the misconception that online students have it easier, when in fact we really don't. We have strict deadlines that we have to stick to. If our work isn't submitted on time we get penalized for it. Unlike on campus schooling, if we miss a class we have to make it up or we lose points for that as well.

Christopher

The best thing about this school is that you can attend school while working a full time or part time job, taking care of kids, etc. The administration at this school is mixed, a lot of my teachers were good, however there were some that would grade on an inconsistent basis varying from paper to paper.

What's the dating scene like?

Theres plenty of chances to find someone. Dont try to hard, let things happen and theres a chance you could meet someone or go on dates which could turn out right.

What's the Greek scene like?

There are tons of fraternitys or sororities to join, where you can form long lasting friendships.

Describe a typical weekend.

It would truly depend on the student; my weekends consist of school work, hanging out with friends, running calls at the fire house, etc.

There is no clear stereotype at Kaplan.

I do not believe there is a stereotype that can be defined at Kaplan

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I think my best day yet would have been my induction into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I would have to say the library; it may seem redundant however it is truly the best place.

What are your classes like?

All of my classes have been great and have kept me interested throughout the whole term; my current class is organizational behavior in criminal justice organizations. I am only 1 week in however it is very interesting.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Theres a mix of sports within the student community. Any sport, any team, there is bound to be someone with the same interests.

When you step off campus what do you see?

It would depend on which campus you attend Maryland, Chicago, Miami, etc. The best option would be to either visit the school or do some research online of local attractions.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

I would have to say it depends on the students. Some talk about politics, some sports, it is a mix.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

I do not live on campus therefore I am not familiar with the food and dining options.

Kaplan has great academics, great teachers, students are great. If you are looking for a good college... Kaplan is the one.

I do not have any favorite campus traditions really.

Describe the dorms.

I do not live on campus however if they are nice as the rest of the school than they are in good shape

Tell us about your professors.

They are all very helpful and will go beyond measures to help students

It is very welcoming and easy to figure out where you have to go.

What do students complain about most?

Students complain about the amount of work they have to do however it is no more than any other school woul give.

Even though it is an online school, they should expect there is still work on a weekly basis that has to be completed. So they cannot do 0 work and expect to pass.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

A school with great academics, sincere teachers, the great possibility to learn at your own pace.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

One of the main reasons I picked Kaplan was the fact that I did not need to take my SAT in order to attend, the other was there option of online schooling.

One of the most unique things about my campus is that its online and I can still hold a full time job while attending school for my bachelor's in criminal justice

A lot of students strive to do well in academics in order to be invited into an academic group.

The academics at Kaplan are great. Teachers care about how the students do with there academics, I liked all of my classes other than math, but that is because I am not a fan of math. The criminal justice degree at kaplan is very good, I am one class away from graduating and with the experience I have from Kaplan I am in the middle of becoming a State Police Officer.

There is not really a stereotype at my school as everyone is there to complete schooling while living there life.

All of the students are so diverse. Everyone has different experiences and lives in different places. Students don't have interactions like a traditional campus with dorms and dining halls. However, this allows students to live their lives, work and raise families while gaining a degree.

Since I am doing an online program....I think that a stereotype is that students are all workers with families and careers who are trying to expand their education. I find a lot of my fellow classmates all have such experiences. But that makes it wonderful! I have had the honor of learning with those in the military, parents, grandparents and various careers. It brings many different perspectives to the table.

Sharon

Kaplan University is a school of excellence. The environment of the school in which I participate is online. They strive to encourage the working force to excel through higher education by implementing this opportunity in which a great deal of Universities do not have. Especially if you are a single parent and have to work full time there is still a way for you to improve your career goals.

Online higher education can be challenging for some however, Kaplan University excels at providing the student with professors that go beyond the teaching experience. They strive to teach and guide the student in ways that they can excel in their studies. Kaplan's professors encourage students to participate and hold intellectual conversations as they learn and grow together. The academics are reasonable and geared toward helping the student's to acheive at their career goals.

My overall opinion is that Kaplan University is great for those students who do not want to sit in classrooms all day. Whom maybe working full-time jobs or full-time parents and cannot attend a classroom environment. Kaplan's program is online and allows for students to interact with other students and professors in a discussion board setting. The program moves very quickly and you must be able to be self-motivated in order to complete assignments. My only negative comment would be the Academic Advising department, when you speak to someone about your degree plan and later have questions you will not speak to the same person again, which can be somewhat confusing.

Describe the dorms.

The degree I'm working on is 100% online.

When you step off campus what do you see?

It's 100% online so I don't see anything.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I am taking all my classes online.

What are your classes like?

Classes are usually around 30 people and the professor lectures, however, you are allowed to ask questions. This is a nice feature because if you are not sure about something you can ask to get clarification.

What are the most popular classes offered?

I'm not sure what the popular classes are. I guess it would depend on what degree you are working towards.

How to navigate the discussion boards and tests.

Tell us about your professors.

Every professor I have had has been extremely helpful and very responsive to any questions I may have.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I am currently living in Hong Kong and needed a school that was 100% online.

There are activities and groups but you must keep in mind that Kaplan University in an online school therefore, these groups are online as well.

Students at Kaplan are of all ages and backgrounds. Some are working adults, some have children, and some are right out of high school. There are military personnel attending from all of the world.

Classes last an hour, they are all online in a "chat" like environment, You can hear only the professor speaking however,you can see the comments made by your fellows students. Different professors engage their students differently. Some take online field trips others use power-point slides, etc.

I don't believe there is a stereotype of students and Kaplan University. The students are of all ages and backgrounds working on their degrees via the internet.

barbette

The best thing about this school is that the professors care and will make sure you understand what they are teaching you. One thing I would change is when doing class work have a edit button if you submit it you are allowed to change it on the discussion boards. My school is just right because it meets my needs according to my personal life. I do not attend class on regular campus, I attend over the internet. The schools administration is very nice. No major controversy that I know of do not attend on campus. Nothing unusual that I know of since I have been attending Kaplan. One experience I will always remember is being nominated to the National Collegiate Scholars. Most frequent student complaints is how slow Financial Aid is sending out checks.

Yes, my professors know my name. My favorite class was Introduction to Psychology. My least favorite is Anatomy and Physiology II. I would say many of the students study between 3-4 days a week. Class participation is very common when attending an online school Yes, some students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. They exchange email, face book, aim, and phone numbers.There are some very competitive students that attend an online education also. The most unique class that I have taken was Anatomy and Physiology online. My major is human services minoring in nursing. I do spend time with emails outside of class with my professors letting them know how I am doing on my journey of success. The education at this school is geared up toward getting a job, they have workshops to prepare you for interviews, writing resumes, and interviewing.

Kaplan University-Hagerstown Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.