Linn-Benton Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Linn-Benton Community College

Robert

I have enjoyed Linn-Benton Community college for their small class size, the accessibility of the instructors and the encouragement they give to students to succeed. They make themselves available to students and ensure that if they are struggling, need help; they have access to resources, including the instructor themselves. Many of my instructors have been kind, respectful and seem to enjoy the topic and I have enjoyed engaging with them.

Michelle

There is a sense of freedom and need to learn that floats about the campus. The teachers are great, they want you to succeed. Anyone going to this college is there to study. We are not all about the college partying. I'm sure if you looked you would find it. The teachers, staff, and students are there for the right reasons. With a positive outlook on learning anything is possible. Doesn't hurt that they have amazing clubs and food too. <3

Chloe

I find that Linn-Benton is a wonderful school in terms of academia. Being that I only focus on my studies, the small class sizes appeal to me a lot. Not only that but by having such a small campus we have a more tight-knit community of students, which is always good to have.

Linn-Benton Community College is good for getting credits out of the way. The advisors connect with you very well to make sure you are on track, and will help you with transferring as smoothly as possible. I absolutely love my advisor, even though he is not a typical counselor, he knows what he's doing and always ready to help. The teachers are, for the most part, passionate and really good at staying on track.

Teagan

Linn-Benton, sweet little sister of Oregon State University. Like any college, it has its unique mix of the good, the bad, and the weird. Let's go. The good: The instructors are excellent. At any institution there will always be a few bad eggs, but personally I have never had a sub-par instructor, and only heard from a few students who have. Instructor response times to emails vary from "prompt" to "replied before I had hit send". Class sizes are small and contain a variety of people of all ages and walks of life. People usually show up for their Monday classes reasonably awake, coherent, and sober. It's off a highway, so it's not exactly a big party school. The ten minutes between classes is well enough time to get to your next one---small campuses have advantages. There are a surprising amount of classes and variety of majors for a community college. It's partnered with Oregon State University for a specific transfer degree and also offers dual enrollment. Oregon State is known for an emphasis on science rather then the arts, so the transfer degree is extremely useful to make sure you've taken the correct classes to segue into the four-year program. And of course it's a community college, which means tuition is only moderately ridiculous instead of worthy of a fainting couch. Depending on your perspective, the mix of the student body can be a good or bad thing. It's certainly not all 18-22 year olds, and students come from the rural areas as well as the two closest cities. This means you will run into and overhear students you really don't agree with, no matter your perspective. It's a good look into real life, but some might find it takes effort to let other's opinions be and concentrate on their own studies. There are a fair amount of adult students. Some might find that very intimidating, but my personal experience is that these are the people with the most hilarious stories to tell. If you need help with a class, there's a lot of it, particularly with math. First, you can get three free hours of tutoring a week, which is pretty unbeatable. Then there's the TASS sessions---tutor assisted study sessions. These aren't offered for every class, but they're there for a lot of chemistry, math, and physics. They're also free. Finally, there's the math help desk, staffed for as long as the learning center is open. If you're stuck on a homework problem or didn't quite get a concept explained in class, you can drop in to get help with it. The negative is that it's first-come, first-serve, so you may end up waiting for a while. The bad: Let's face it. The campus is not going to be winning any beauty contests. The new buildings are wonderfully designed, but the main part of the campus consists of squat brick buildings. There's a lot of cement. The word around is that the campus was built to mimic a campus built in Arizona, so the passages and halls between and around buildings are designed to funnel every scrap of a breeze down them. This would be great for Arizona, but is less great for an area with three of four seasons consisting of rain. In winter term, students take a break by leaning their full weight against the wind in these passages, because it'll keep them upright. This is not a joke: when winds are high gusts can leave you staggering. And if you think cement-and-brick aesthetic is unattractive dry, it's even more unattractive wet. Which it is. And you will be. Forget a morning shower, you'll get one just hiking in from the parking lots. The good thing about the parking lots is that there's a lot of them. The bad thing is that there's still a lot of them when it's raining, and unless you have an eight AM class you'll be trekking in from the far reaches of them. This somewhat ties in with the campus's main negative point: its location. It's somewhere in between nowhere and far away from anything. Whether by bus or car, you're going to spending a lot of time commuting. You likely won't be going off campus on foot or by bike because there's nowhere to be going. What buildings are around are private businesses, and there's no convenience stores, restaurants, or coffee shops anywhere close. Bring your lunch or budget to be buying it. But beware, if you buy your lunch a lot the cost adds up fast. If you're new, make sure you leave lots of time to get lost. There are a lot of places everything looks exactly the same. The classroom placement can be unintuitive at best and require GPS coordinates at worst, and some classrooms have only outside entrances with no access from interior hallways. The weird: When it's overcast and rainy (85% of the time), the campus looks straight out of a horror game, complete with dim, flickering florescent lighting, concrete stairways, and worn brick. There's also that path that dead-ends between buildings. What is its purpose? Who designed that? Is it a trap to funnel in the unwary? The commons are so far out of the way most students aren't even aware they're there. This seems to defeat the purpose. Speaking of defeating the purpose... the afternoon buses don't arrive or leave anywhere close to where classes begin or end. Overall it's an excellent school, if you don't spook easily and are willing to make time for the commute. There's inconveniences, but taking your first two years at a community college and transferring into a four-year university will save you a ton of money.

makayla

I think Linn-Benton Community college is a school aimed at an older crowd of people. Classes are around 12 to 30 students, and a lot of students are not fresh out of high school. The library is a great place to get work done with access to great tools. Although, the campus is very out of the way and there's nothing nearby. It's hard to find enough classes to sign up for per term, but it's a generally easy going school.

Lydia

This will be my second year at Linn-Benton Community College, where I am pursuing a transfer degree to Oregon State University. One of the great aspects of Linn-Benton is it's class sizes. The classes are intimate and engaging. They enable a student to have the opportunity to enable a student to receive much more from a class than a lecture of 300 people. Linn-Benton and Oregon State, a university only twenty minutes away have partnered up to allow students to dual enroll. A lot of university students choose to do so, Linn-Benton offers the lower-division class in a much more palatable format, for a much cheaper price. Class structures are unique. My current biology teacher wrote his own book, he is a professional photographer so he took all the pictures in the textbook. The class is fascinating because of his passion for the subject and his student. In my class, Organization Behavior in Businesses, my instructor is allowing us to define our group final, meaning we decide what we should turn in, get graded on and talk about. The mutual respect and allowed creativity provides a great environment and learning opportunity. Overall I would highly recommend Linn-Benton. It is a great transition school from high school to the bigger universities. It also acts a platform to launch students directly into careers, by offering hands on learning in specific trades. The staff works incredibly hard to create a fun and supportive environment. Since it is a community college there is no on campus housing, however it's intimate classes, specific major tracks and campus structure allow you to meet and create study buddy's and friends. There is always some activity going on in the quad, such as club fairs, cultural concerts or barbeques. The school offers a variety of learning tools such as free tutors every week, a staffed learning center equipped to help students with math, writing and career associated tasks and study jams during finals weeks. Finally the college's location is prime. It is only twenty minutes from the Oregon State's campus (there is an Linn Benton annex in the same town as the university specially for Oregon State students). Also it is only an hour away from the mountains (prime skiing), downtown Portland or the beach. I highly encourage people of all ages to look into Linn-Benton Community College.

Faith

Linn-Benton Community College is a nice, small college with smaller class sizes and students from around the state and various different backgrounds. They have a very nice arts program and an amazing culinary program that makes the most delicious food. The staff for the most part is great and I am glad I picked LBCC.

Madison

I transferred to LBCC from another community college in Oregon and I have been much, much more successful. The college is very warm and welcoming and I've loved most of my instructors. Some of the facilities are a bit old, but that doesn't bother me. The quality of education is where it counts and I feel like I'm getting my best education here at LBCC.

Chloe

The Linn-Benton campus creates a fabulous setting to learn, having such a small campus takes away a lot of the stress that comes with being in college. Not only that, but with a small campus comes a small class size. With small classes I have been able to excel academically.

Allexis

Linn-Benton Community is the ultimate Uni starter pack. If you're looking for a lot of variety, to try out a ton of different fields, this is the place! However, if you're looking to study a specific field, be aware that the classes are limited in certain fields. You really are FORCED to keep a lot of variety, because there's not enough classes in any one section to keep your schedule full. Other than that, the college is absolutely amazing. Staff, faculty, groups, clubs, all of the resources are on top of the game in every field. It's truly stunning, the feeling of support on campus, and off.

Isaac

Been here for two years going on three, over all has been a very pleasant experience. Nothing terribly special, just a decent community college. The opportunities here reflect that, as they are more of a stepping off point for students than a true chance for success.

Pamela

I like the college There are many resources you can use to complete the assignments. The stuff members there help you a lot and they are kind. I like the campus, however I would like the college to have more programs to study. I also like that you can choose your own hours, that way if you work or if you have children you can be flexible with those things.

Ash-Leigh

My overall opinion of Linn-Benton Community College is that it is a big enough school to know the people around you and feel safe, it also has very small class sizes which helps with more focus. I feel that Linn Benton is very good at teaching hands on classes more then just presentation classes (even though we will always have those). There is also a lot of resources to help you outside of class. I give LBCC a 5 star for being a great community college.

Morgan

Linn-Benton Community College was one of two colleges I attended right out of High school. It was the less daunting college, since its class sizes are an average of 35 students (Even in the highly needed courses). The only problem with class sizes being small is that they make it harder to find a spot within a class that is needed. Statistics, they only offered one class, one quarter. I wasn’t a big part of groups outside of class, but most of your teachers are advisors of at least one club, and they will try to get you to join for extra credit. The students are wonderful. If you have a hard class, make friends and use them to help you study. Most of the classes I attended a student at the beginning asked if anyone would be interested in starting a study group, got numbers, and made it happen. Most professors will have a in-class review as well for the bigger tests. Most of the teachers are willing to work with you if you struggle outside of class. I had four teachers that scheduled appointments with me outside of their office hours to help me learn concepts. Linn-Benton has one of the best student ran writing centers I have ever seen as well, if you need help with anything take it to them. You might have to give them a run down on what you are w

Brett

LInn-benton community college is great for a community college. It tends to lean more liberal with its choice but is very open with allowing people from all sorts of groups and ways of thinking voice their opinions. over all the buildings are in nice up keep and the class rooms are not overly full.

Judah

I am very satisfied with Linn-Benton Community Collage. I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience since beginning my studies there. I have been able to take advantage of many opportunities such as joining Phi Theta Kappa, becoming a tutor, and volunteering as a conversant partner for students who are learning English. Overall, my professors have been helpful and easy to approach. There are also many on-camps resources for the purpose of help with studies that have been a great help in pulling me through tough spots in my classes.

Eric

Great School with a Degree Partnership Program where you are also a Student at Oregon State University. Student advisors are readily available and my teachers seem to be available when I need them. The School has one of the best writing centers I have ever seen, very helpful and available to all students.

Cecilia

This Community College is a great starter college. They know how to make you feel welcomed when you are a first comer. The teachers are very nice and can be flexible to your work or other class schedule. The campus is always clean and well taken care of.

Alex

I think Linn-Benton Community College is a great starting ground for getting into higher education schooling. Not only are all the faculty members friendly and helpful, but they care about the students that go there. Students interact with each other even if they don't know them, and it's overall a super cool environment. If you are struggling, don't be afraid to talk to your professor, they care about you!

Zach

It is a good community college that has good resources for students. The college has some sour professors, but that is everywhere. I can say that with the 84 credits I have taken so far, I have only had maybe 4 professors that I really just didn't care for. Other than them, the other professors I have had have been phenomenal. There are quite a few who go above and beyond when it comes to student learning.

rebecca

Linn-Benton Community College is a small college where the teachers not only know your name but are able to help most of the time when it is needed due to smaller classes. Along with the smaller class sizes, there will be less of a need to look above or between tens of heads of fellow students just to see the board and the classroom sizes are that of a similar size to a high school. Along with these class perks, it has a beautiful and well-kept courtyard in the center of the main grounds that encourage students to venture outside during studying when weather permits.

Tre

Linn-Benton is fairly quiet, I find that peaceful and helpful to maintain my studies. Overall a great school to attend with very caring and friendly people all over campus. Professors you can count on at any time for help and you can trust, they are very cary to each and every student on campus.

Ellen

Great School.

Cha'ur

Small and friendly school. They work together to make sure the students succeed! They are all very helpful and friendly and will do what is best for all of the students they have. There is programs that are free that I have not found or heard of anywhere else. All in all LBCC is an amazing community college.

Erin

I love it. Is a great community college with lots of opportunities. Many teachers to talk to or advisors. If your advisor is out of the office you can always talk to someone else and they’ll help. Great food and groups to join. Awesome coffee shop!

Abbey

If you are just trying to get an education for a more reasonable price, it's perfect. I've had great experiences with the instructors. They are always willing to help you outside of class. There are multiple campuses that are smaller and feel less intimidating. They are safe and clean. If you are looking for a university experience fit with athletics and social opportunities, Linn-Benton isn't for you.

Hailie

A beautiful campus, with tons of opportunities to increase knowledge of your surroundings. I made a great desicion enrolling with LBCC. There are plenty of opportunities to improve with tutors and teachers. I look forward to what this school has in store for myself.

Brooke

It is a good school. The teachers are very helpful. They have a variety of subjects, and courses. The food there is also affordable. The buildings are in good shape, and the gym/ courts are very nice. The online Moodle is easy to access, so it is easy to turn papers in online and check grades. 10/10!

Marcus

I believe Linn-Benton Community College is an excellent stepping stone for students of all ages to propel them into careers for the real world. Located in a more rural area, the variety of programs for trades and vocations that match the kind of companies in the area is beneficial for many students, and the wide array of other programs for students who wish to go onto further their education prepares us for university life more so than going straight into a university from high school. I see the campus itself needing renovations and expansion in order to better accommodate the city's growing population, but as far as the educators and administration they have all (in my personal experience) been very helpful.